All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by reptar »

Matt wrote:
reptar wrote: August 7, 2018, 8:35 pm Couldn't we play a halfback at fullback? And a hooker at halfback? And a bench forward on the bench for 80 minutes?
In the last 4 seasons, im confident Ricky has ticked all those boxes
Often in the same game!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: August 7, 2018, 10:11 pm
RedRaider wrote: August 7, 2018, 9:58 pm I hope Cotric will continue to be picked at fullback for the rest of this year. I think he has the goods to be a top flight full back. He is already better under the high ball than Jack imo. This is a key skill for the role. Defensively he is up to the role as well. In attack he was getting more involved last weekend and I hope to see this continue in the coming weeks. As his confidence grows I think we will hear more talk from him which is another skill a fullback needs imo.

As for next year, I think Jack is more likely to find himself in the three quarter line. I have said before that I think BJ has the makings of a back rower. He is big enough and tough enough. He will not have to make as many defensive decisions either. Just tackle what is in front of him. At center he persistently stays out on his opposition center. This leaves a huge hole to his left which is often exploited by opposition sides including Penrith again last weekend. He would not displace any of the current starting International backrowers but would be a very good bench impact player imo.
Be careful with outrageous statements like body typing or playing style RR. People will think youre crazy... :lol: :P
:D It's too late Matt, I'm already thought of as crazy and senile. The good thing about senility though, is that in 5 minutes it's a whole new world :lol:
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 10:29 pm
Pigman wrote:
zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 8:34 pm
Matt wrote:Surely the Q is,
Williams at half.
Or
Oldie on a wing
That's the Q, well as far as I'm concerned.
I can see the pros and cons either way. But once a decision is made it needs to be stuck to.
Fortunately this seems less impactful than which 2 hookers to use instead of hodgo.
The biggest concern with the Williams / Wighton swap would be the kicking game. Sammy takes a lot of pressure off Sezer, but, our biggest issue is defence.
Wighton will need to improve his kicking game for sure.
I dont think we can bank on Sezer recapturing his Titans form... even i've given up on that, which is a shame, because as primary kicker he was excellent. We'll need a secondary kicker, and honestly it cant be Hodgson. I love the guy and when he picks his spots, he's tremendous as a kicker... but you want him taking 2, maybe 3 a game... so we need a secondary kicker in the halves to ease the pressure on Sezer... it'd help if we ever positioned well to make a good kick too, feels like 1/3 times our kicker, whoever it is, is getting the ball high, low or wide and it throws their motion off.
One option would be to have Havili at lock to free up hodgo on the fifth to provide that extra option on both sides of the ruck but then you need to juggle your international back row around it.
What about we just put him at prop and rotate him with Bateman, whichever is on at the time can slot into Hooker like you've said. Also, let's not rule out Rapa for long kicks (40/20ʼs and such) and Whitehead for short kicks. BJ rolled one into the in goal on the weekend too didn't he?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

reptar wrote: August 8, 2018, 4:21 am
Matt wrote:
reptar wrote: August 7, 2018, 8:35 pm Couldn't we play a halfback at fullback? And a hooker at halfback? And a bench forward on the bench for 80 minutes?
In the last 4 seasons, im confident Ricky has ticked all those boxes
Often in the same game!
yep
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: August 8, 2018, 5:53 am
Matt wrote: August 7, 2018, 10:11 pm
RedRaider wrote: August 7, 2018, 9:58 pm I hope Cotric will continue to be picked at fullback for the rest of this year. I think he has the goods to be a top flight full back. He is already better under the high ball than Jack imo. This is a key skill for the role. Defensively he is up to the role as well. In attack he was getting more involved last weekend and I hope to see this continue in the coming weeks. As his confidence grows I think we will hear more talk from him which is another skill a fullback needs imo.

As for next year, I think Jack is more likely to find himself in the three quarter line. I have said before that I think BJ has the makings of a back rower. He is big enough and tough enough. He will not have to make as many defensive decisions either. Just tackle what is in front of him. At center he persistently stays out on his opposition center. This leaves a huge hole to his left which is often exploited by opposition sides including Penrith again last weekend. He would not displace any of the current starting International backrowers but would be a very good bench impact player imo.
Be careful with outrageous statements like body typing or playing style RR. People will think youre crazy... :lol: :P
:D It's too late Matt, I'm already thought of as crazy and senile. The good thing about senility though, is that in 5 minutes it's a whole new world :lol:
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Not sure if I’m late to the party, but in cotrics first few games of first grade he showed top tier ability of reading the game like a book. His defensive reads are immense and I don’t think it will take him long to sort it out at fullback.
Wighton to 6 and cotric to 1 with oldfield outside Croker next year, it works for me. If we can get a front row rotation that can clear the ruck quickly and defend, we will go better than we have this year.
Front row has killed us this year, paulo and boyd never get back in the line.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I agree with Woodgers except for the part about Jack having the brains to make the right plays, and his spelling of Hingano.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I want Wighton to go to 5/8th for the hits.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

gangrenous wrote: August 8, 2018, 6:26 pm I agree with Woodgers except for the part about Jack having the brains to make the right plays, and his spelling of Hingano.
I think Jack has a pretty good footy brain.

I'd prefer jack at 6 over any of the currently off contract halves.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
gangrenous wrote: August 8, 2018, 6:26 pm I agree with Woodgers except for the part about Jack having the brains to make the right plays, and his spelling of Hingano.

Norman's football intelligence leaves Jack's for dead. Also we saw Jack at 5/8 and he was garbage and we wanted him out.

This has McCrone to hooker written all over it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Captain Punish wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Norman's football intelligence leaves Jack's for dead. Also we saw Jack at 5/8 and he was garbage and we wanted him out.

This has McCrone to hooker written all over it.

Is that an option?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Archer wrote: August 8, 2018, 7:47 am
zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 10:29 pm
Pigman wrote:
zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 8:34 pm
Matt wrote:Surely the Q is,
Williams at half.
Or
Oldie on a wing
That's the Q, well as far as I'm concerned.
I can see the pros and cons either way. But once a decision is made it needs to be stuck to.
Fortunately this seems less impactful than which 2 hookers to use instead of hodgo.
The biggest concern with the Williams / Wighton swap would be the kicking game. Sammy takes a lot of pressure off Sezer, but, our biggest issue is defence.
Wighton will need to improve his kicking game for sure.
I dont think we can bank on Sezer recapturing his Titans form... even i've given up on that, which is a shame, because as primary kicker he was excellent. We'll need a secondary kicker, and honestly it cant be Hodgson. I love the guy and when he picks his spots, he's tremendous as a kicker... but you want him taking 2, maybe 3 a game... so we need a secondary kicker in the halves to ease the pressure on Sezer... it'd help if we ever positioned well to make a good kick too, feels like 1/3 times our kicker, whoever it is, is getting the ball high, low or wide and it throws their motion off.
One option would be to have Havili at lock to free up hodgo on the fifth to provide that extra option on both sides of the ruck but then you need to juggle your international back row around it.
What about we just put him at prop and rotate him with Bateman, whichever is on at the time can slot into Hooker like you've said. Also, let's not rule out Rapa for long kicks (40/20ʼs and such) and Whitehead for short kicks. BJ rolled one into the in goal on the weekend too didn't he?
I guess it's not critical to have a specialized option in at hooker to provide the occasional 5th tackle feed, and Havili will rotate in eventually during the course of the game to provide it if needed.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've seen nothing in Cotric's game or style that indicates to me he is a long term fullback for the Raiders. Centre or Second Row maybe, but not fullback.

If the club sticks by Wighton, my big home is that he pulls his head in and realises what he needs to do to become a top 5 fullback in the NRL, which is what he absolutely could be if his head was screwed on.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 9, 2018, 6:34 pm I've seen nothing in Cotric's game or style that indicates to me he is a long term fullback for the Raiders. Centre or Second Row maybe, but not fullback.

If the club sticks by Wighton, my big home is that he pulls his head in and realises what he needs to do to become a top 5 fullback in the NRL, which is what he absolutely could be if his head was screwed on.
:clap:
But watch ya back.... :P :lol:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton fails in bid to suppress CCTV footage of brawl

The footage of Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton’s drunken rampage and assault of five men will be made public after his bid to have it suppressed failed.

Prosecutor Katie McCann handed up CCTV of the Civic incident and pictures of the victims' injuries in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday, however, the footage and images will not be released publicly until after the Raiders star is sentenced in November.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/raider ... 508cw.html

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Methinks the Raiders are about to look pretty stupid.

My gut tells me when this is released to public their initial reaction of a 6 week ban is going to look very poor indeed.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Coastalraider wrote: October 8, 2018, 11:39 am Methinks the Raiders are about to look pretty stupid.

My gut tells me when this is released to public their initial reaction of a 6 week ban is going to look very poor indeed.
I'd say you are spot on there.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

No matter what gets shown there will be outrage but what's on the video is pretty clearly described already. Nobody should be too shocked at what it shows when it is released.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Got him, yes! EDIT You're out!

SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

............And that's our 2019 season gone before it starts.....
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

SeeBee101 wrote:............And that's our 2019 season gone before it starts.....
Well, there's Ricky's excuse at the very least.

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

SeeBee101 wrote: October 8, 2018, 12:17 pm ............And that's our 2019 season gone before it starts.....
How?
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Is he still a chance of being sacked?

I don’t believe so, he’s been punished by the NRL and the club (I think?). The only
Punishment left is from the courts. I guess, depending on the punishment, he could be punished further.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: October 8, 2018, 1:03 pm Is he still a chance of being sacked?

I don’t believe so, he’s been punished by the NRL and the club (I think?). The only
Punishment left is from the courts. I guess, depending on the punishment, he could be punished further.

Zero chance. The club and NRL have seen the CCTV vision in determining their (different) penalties.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

What if he was to get a severe penalty?? Gaol/ home detention

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:No matter what gets shown there will be outrage but what's on the video is pretty clearly described already. Nobody should be too shocked at what it shows when it is released.
Well the club insisted the footage isn't that bad so really how bad could it be? I mean really, what young man hasn't assaulted 5 blokes on a big night out in Civic? Well maybe 4 blokes now that GE doesn't go out after dark anymore.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

NRL has handed down their punishment. Can't change that due to retrospective public outrage.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Northern Raider wrote: October 8, 2018, 2:22 pm NRL has handed down their punishment. Can't change that due to retrospective public outrage.
NRL just make stuff on the fly. I could see them saying new information has come to light and we have extended the penalty. I am sure this is part of the reason why the NRL made it 10 weeks in the first place, given we only had 10 weeks to go. They knew he wouldn't be back playing before the court date. I would hope that if this does happen the NRL is question what new information as they had the video etc before they made their decision.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

kona_dream wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: October 8, 2018, 2:22 pm NRL has handed down their punishment. Can't change that due to retrospective public outrage.
NRL just make stuff on the fly. I could see them saying new information has come to light and we have extended the penalty. I am sure this is part of the reason why the NRL made it 10 weeks in the first place, given we only had 10 weeks to go. They knew he wouldn't be back playing before the court date. I would hope that if this does happen the NRL is question what new information as they had the video etc before they made their decision.
They normally make it up on the fly based on outrage at the time. It's always a reaction to the story breaking e.g. the Monaghan situation.

With Wighton they have reviewed everything and handed down their suspension. They've fired all their shots. Can't take any further action unless some genuine new info comes to light.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

I've said it before, but anyone EDIT.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Will the NRL let Jack play wearing an ankle bracelet if he is ordered to do so?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Begbie wrote:Will the NRL let Jack play wearing an ankle bracelet if he is ordered to do so?
Also, are they government issued, or does someone have to pay for them?

If the club has to pay for it, does it count towards the cap?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Oh noe you di'int

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

All I got was a lousy hat in my members pack and these 5 blokes get a knuckle samwich and a Liverpool kiss and they complained about it. Maybe a little urine splashed on their boots too. Ungrateful sods.

nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

If Jack jumped the fence in the Octagon we're screwed