NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Perth Raiders
Simon Woolford

Re: Jack Wighton pleads guilty to assault charges

Post by Perth Raiders »

Commission just held a press conference re international RL. Todd was asked about Jack W and stated they had viewed footage and were not happy with the Raiders 6 match suspension! Stated they would speak to the club but expect them to come over the top.
Bring League West.

2010 The GH Premiership- Premiers
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Post by Relax-init »

BJ wrote: July 12, 2018, 11:14 am
Relax-init wrote:Pearce got like 7 weeks and a $125K fine for faking a dog photo. That Manly guy got 12 weeks for beating his lady and a $75K fine and then was sacked for driving without a licence. Lodge got sacked and a 2 year exile and had extreme conditions to meet to re-sign.

This is worse than all 3 to be honest. Punching up dudes, some of which are members and just wanted a handshake...
You are claiming that what Jack did is worse than Lodge?????

Are you fully aware of what Lodge did?

Jack caused some cuts and bruising to his victims, suggesting that he didn’t fully go to town with his punches and headbutt. I’ve seen blind drunk guys who can fight, be very damaging and I would bet that Jack Wighton is even more skilled in boxing and fighting. So I don’t think he completely tried to harm his unfortunate victims.

Jack 1000% deserves court and justice system punishment, but worse than Lodge, I don’t think you have much credibility with that claim.
I've seen the Lodge footage. He went nuts true and tried to kick down a door and frightened the family, and had a good go at the dad. That's scary and not cool ever. No footage of Wighton (why are they hiding it huh?? ask that question) yet the court claims allege (and not really allege as he pleaded guilty) that he belted up to 5 people for no good reason. Mate if I was a season ticket holder and went to shake my 'heroes' hand and he just plain belted me, I would not be happy. I'd sue his for all he is worth, get the NRL to throw the book at him, rip up my tickets and pursue a reimbursement from the club (which they would pay out) and ensure the world knew what this muppet did. If it was me that is.
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

NRL set to reject Canberra Raiders' six-week ban for Jack Wighton

The NRL are set to reject the Canberra Raiders' six-week ban for star fullback Jack Wighton after he pleaded guilty in the ACT Magistrates Court to assault last week.

"I notice Canberra have proposed a six-week ban. We've viewed the footage and in our view it will warrant a stronger action than that, and that will be a discussion we will have directly with the Canberra club over the next couple of days," NRL boss Todd Greenberg said on Thursday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zr38.html

Puff piece. No real info. Expect Greenberg to show once again he lacks the fortitude necessary for the job.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

gergreg wrote:If the footage in any way at all would make Jack's actions forgivable then why try to suppress it?
Spot on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

BJ wrote:
Relax-init wrote:Pearce got like 7 weeks and a $125K fine for faking a dog photo. That Manly guy got 12 weeks for beating his lady and a $75K fine and then was sacked for driving without a licence. Lodge got sacked and a 2 year exile and had extreme conditions to meet to re-sign.

This is worse than all 3 to be honest. Punching up dudes, some of which are members and just wanted a handshake...

Jack caused some cuts and bruising to his victims, suggesting that he didn’t fully go to town with his punches and headbutt. I’ve seen blind drunk guys who can fight, be very damaging and I would bet that Jack Wighton is even more skilled in boxing and fighting. So I don’t think he completely tried to harm his unfortunate victims.

Jack 1000% deserves court and justice system punishment, but worse than Lodge, I don’t think you have much credibility with that claim.
EDIT. No one walks the town kinghitting people if they don't intend to cause harm. Jack is just obviously a fighter of the Mundine oppostion variety.

Don't try and paint this as a good thing. **** hell, some of you supporters are off the chain.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Captain Punish wrote:
BJ wrote:

EDIT. No one walks the town kinghitting people if they don't intend to cause harm. Jack is just obviously a fighter of the Mundine oppostion variety.

Don't try and paint this as a good thing. **** hell, some of you supporters are off the chain.

Learn to read and comprehend things EDIT.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Relax-init wrote: July 12, 2018, 1:16 pm
I've seen the Lodge footage. He went nuts true and tried to kick down a door and frightened the family, and had a good go at the dad. That's scary and not cool ever.
Writing a sentence like this is like claiming Pearce got six weeks for pretending to hump a dog.

Lodge sexually harassed a woman, then stalked and chased her. She went into the apartment for shelter and to get away - and he kicked down the door to get at her and then terrorised and assaulted the family trying to protect her.

If one of Jack's victims went into a store to get away and Jack broke down a door to keep hitting him, I could see the comparison.

Also, where is the idea that one of the victims was a Raiders member/season ticket holder coming from? Is this something that was in the court documents or something people are assuming?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Having spoken to someone that has seen the footage, he is incredibly lucky his contract hasnt been torn up already, and id suggest the only thing stopping that is the fact he is one of stuarts boys
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL 2018: Jack Wighton’s ban from Canberra Raiders isn’t harsh enough, says NRL CEO Todd Greenberg

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has made it clear Canberra’s proposed club suspension for fullback Jack Wighton is too lenient. The NRL is set to overrule the Raiders’ six-week ban for Wighton, meaning the 25-year-old could be forced to sit out the rest of the season.

“It’s simple as this — I’ve viewed the footage and I don’t think the sanction they’ve proposed is strong enough,” Greenberg said on Thursday. “We made our feelings pretty clear to Canberra. They made a decision, ultimately the power rests with us to come over the top if we don’t think the sanction is high enough.

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2 ... b4029fd613

NRL pushes for stronger ban on Wighton over assault: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/12/nrl ... k-wighton/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Surprise surprise. If a bunch of clowns in an Internet forum going only from newspaper Cliff’s notes can see this coming, what the hell is the club doing?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

If you haven't seen the footage how can people be so sure what happened and therefore what should happen as a result?

People are capable of watching the exact same thing and forming very, very different conclusions.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ummm... you may have missed above where the NRL have said they’ll come back over the top with a harsher penalty? Which was anticipated by just about everyone here with more than half a brain?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Green eyed Mick wrote: July 12, 2018, 6:04 pm If you haven't seen the footage how can people be so sure what happened and therefore what should happen as a result?

People are capable of watching the exact same thing and forming very, very different conclusions.

I was thinking the same thing last night as I watched Qld win its 10th straight origin series clean sweep.

There's a word for this phenomena.... dillusion!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Billy Walker wrote: July 12, 2018, 6:30 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote: July 12, 2018, 6:04 pm If you haven't seen the footage how can people be so sure what happened and therefore what should happen as a result?

People are capable of watching the exact same thing and forming very, very different conclusions. Quote]

I was thinking the same thing last night as I watched Qld win its 10th straight origin series clean sweep.

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

gangrenous wrote: July 12, 2018, 5:49 pm Surprise surprise. If a bunch of clowns in an Internet forum going only from newspaper Cliff’s notes can see this coming, what the hell is the club doing?
This could just be a bargaining ploy by Canberra to make sure he is available in week 1 2019, they may well see it and fear the nrl see’s it as a 12-16 week ban but if they start low and then negotiate with the nrl they may well get away with 8-10.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You give our club far too much credit
As we’ve proven time and time again, we aren’t that good
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

kiwi raider wrote: July 12, 2018, 6:46 pm
gangrenous wrote: July 12, 2018, 5:49 pm Surprise surprise. If a bunch of clowns in an Internet forum going only from newspaper Cliff’s notes can see this coming, what the hell is the club doing?
This could just be a bargaining ploy by Canberra to make sure he is available in week 1 2019, they may well see it and fear the nrl see’s it as a 12-16 week ban but if they start low and then negotiate with the nrl they may well get away with 8-10.
I think the bargaining may have happened well in advance. Both sides have known that this was coming for a while. To manage the media it makes sense that we say 6, the NRL come back over the top and look tough (with lets say 10). We accept and praise the system/NRL. Everyone is happy.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Pigman wrote: July 12, 2018, 6:52 pm You give our club far too much credit
As we’ve proven time and time again, we aren’t that good
:lol: true
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Surely Wighton cops an eye-balling from Greenburg and Beatie as part of the punishment.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Jack Wighton pleads guilty to assault charges

Post by Schifty »

:doubt: What a complete catastrophe this has ended up being..
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Not giving an opinion on Jack's length of suspension,

But the nrl cant say "its in the hands of the clubs but if we dont like it we take over"

Thats like a court going little johnny you did the wrong thing stealing a car so we will let mum punish you and then take over"

Or its your job to cook dinner but if i dont like it i will cook it again

Either the nrl doles out the weeks or the clubs do. Its that simple

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:Not giving an opinion on Jack's length of suspension,

But the nrl cant say "its in the hands of the clubs but if we dont like it we take over"

Thats like a court going little johnny you did the wrong thing stealing a car so we will let mum punish you and then take over"

So the games governing body can't have any say in punishments for players it pays wages to?

Makes sense
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Or maybe they expect the club to perform at a level of professionalism where they allocate a suitable punishment for the crime rather than get the head coach to all but declare Jack as the victim in all this and the club appear to support violence against the public by attempting to apply a laughable sentence all but clearing Jack of any wrongdoing?

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote:

So the games governing body can't have any say in punishments for players it pays wages to?

Makes sense
They dont pay wages to, the club pays the players

And if you bothered to read what i said rather than just get on your superior high horse i said that the nrl either has to do the punishing or leave it up to the clubs

If you punish one of your kids for doing the wrong thing would you be happy your parents decided it wasn't harsh enough and punished them again?

Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Who's the club grant come from? Come on now..

Also my kids wouldn't have contracts registered with my parents...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

cat wrote: But the nrl cant say "its in the hands of the clubs but if we dont like it we take over"
That’s nonsense cat.

That’s perfectly reasonable.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: July 12, 2018, 10:58 pm Not giving an opinion on Jack's length of suspension,

Well no, they're saying to the clubs "It's up to you to handle this in the right way, and if you try and cheat the system, we'll come over the top and correct matters"

They absolutely can and SHOULD do this.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote: July 13, 2018, 8:17 am
cat wrote: July 12, 2018, 10:58 pm Not giving an opinion on Jack's length of suspension,

Well no, they're saying to the clubs "It's up to you to handle this in the right way, and if you try and cheat the system, we'll come over the top and correct matters"

They absolutely can and SHOULD do this.
It's a real Micky Mouse look to have the club release their punishment and have the governing body push back though. Surely the process should be that they work together prior to announcing it.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Bargaining position? Bull, this is nepotism, plain and simple.

He's Ricky's favourite so they jumped the gun with 'six weeks' which sounds harsh, but is really a slap on the wrist with the season already done. They hoped the NRL would handwave it, and they've come down like a ton of bricks instead.

We may pay Jack's salary, but where would we be getting the money for it in a world without the TV grant?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Relax-init
Gary Coyne

Post by Relax-init »

Billy Walker wrote: July 12, 2018, 6:30 pm

I am pretty sure that the police who tendered the court documents, the NRL committee, the Raiders and the Courts all have the same opinion, as does the lawyer of Wighton who advised him clearly to please guilty so that he has a lesser charge. Not sure there is any doubt in anyones mind that this video was bad.
Relax-init
Gary Coyne

Post by Relax-init »

kiwi raider wrote: July 12, 2018, 6:46 pm
Right on the money. 100% they gave 6 weeks hoping the NRL only gives 8 or 10 so he is fine to play 2019 from game 1.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Sack him
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Relax-init
Gary Coyne

Post by Relax-init »

PerthRaider86 wrote: July 13, 2018, 9:58 am Sack him
Wish this forum had a troll emoji....
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 13, 2018, 9:32 am It's a real Micky Mouse look to have the club release their punishment and have the governing body push back though. Surely the process should be that they work together prior to announcing it.
Oh yeah no doubt, this process should have been the Raiders offering this punishment up to the NRL to see if they were happy with it, and then working with them, and eventually they agree to settle on something and it's announced to the media. The problem the idiots at our club decided to make a huge public song and dance about the 6 games, hoping to influence the league's decision. Now the consequences of that ridiculous display is we're going to be publicly son'd by Greenberg, and rightly so.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I put more faith in the North Korean Judicial system to properly investigate, determine and communicate an appropriate punishment than I do the Raiders executive and the NRL hierarchy to properly manage the situation.