NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Re: Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton pleads guilty to two charges of assault

Post by Jake »

Ultimately, he's dogged the boys. We are now down an experienced spine player with the season on the line.

Hopefully Abbey has been practicing that sweeping back play down the left side.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton pleads guilty to two charges of assault

Post by raiderskater »

I can't envisage us sacking him either; we know well how that turned out in the past and we do have an argument against the NRL for that. Every time we do the "right thing" we end up punished for it.

That said, Joel Monaghan also had a clean record and no history and the NRL gave us a "jump or you'll be pushed" ultimatum, and I do not trust they won't do so again.

I am disappointed in him and for him; he must have known what sort of trouble one can get into in Civic at night with a few beers, he should have been more sensible and responsible. Now one of the best seasons of his career is going to be cut short by his own actions.

I expect some form of plea deal was arranged, given the withdrawal of the other seven charges.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I can't see Sticky sacking him, he loves the young scamp. Unless the Board takes the decision out of his hands.

Yikes. Norman is regarded as an upgrade? Is this what we've become?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PerthRaider86 wrote: So if the NRL want the broncos to win he wont play......
IF the NRL want the Broncos to win Image you crack me up PR86
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Conspirisshhheee
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Club Statement: Jack Wighton

Canberra Raiders today stood down Jack Wighton from this week's match against the Broncos and will convene a Board Meeting next week to discuss his position.

The Raiders will consult the NRL and are mindful that Jack was today referred to the Galambany Court next Wednesday 4th July.

The Raiders Board will consider the matter further in the light of the Galambany Courts decision next week.

The club will not be making further comment until this process is complete.

Canberra Raiders media
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Had to be stood down once he pled guilty. Doubt he plays again this year TBH.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote: June 28, 2018, 6:02 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote: So if the NRL want the broncos to win he wont play......
IF the NRL want the Broncos to win Image you crack me up PR86
The NRL is really sending mixed messages on this one. On one hand they appointed Sutton but on the other hand they gave the Broncos a Saturday game.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Abbey is the only reasonable one on the extended bench that will replace him for this game
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

zim wrote: June 28, 2018, 5:56 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 28, 2018, 5:31 pm Sack him and then enter the market to try and pick him back up at a reduced price. Be great having Jack at the club as long as it's on less $$ so we can buy a good half.

He's a good fella and all but we aren't getting return on the $$ we are paying him. He's been good this year but out of the 8 good not Slater, Tedesco, Turbo good.
I'm trying to think of a scenario where that actually plays out.
If his behavior is bad enough to get him sacked he shouldn't be at the club.
If the club was going to sack him with the obvious ploy of massaging the cap the NRL would step in.
If the club was only sacking him to reduce his wage, Wighton would likely feel he should head elsewhere (I know I would).

He's either staying on the same coin or he's moving on.
It would be a big call and you'd only do it if you're prepared to lose him and think he's currently paid well over the odds.

It would be done on the basis that he has breached the behavioural standards of his current contract so it is torn up.

If he is free to play 2019 by the NRL the Raiders can enter the race for his signature for a new contract with tighter behaviour clauses and at a price closer to his actual market value. If the chooks want him for $700k good luck to them but I'd hope we'd tap out well below that. Pleading guilty to an offence in court lessens a players market value.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I expect Jack to be back at the Raiders in 2019.
WorkChoice
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

edwahu wrote: June 28, 2018, 6:00 pm Ignoring whether or not it's the right thing to do, I wouldn't sack him based on his football. He is playing like a 700k fullback this year.
700k in attack and last line defence.

150k in positioning for kicks.
w3b3d1g1
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by w3b3d1g1 »

Why is many of you cannot see how Jack is performing. Comparing him against all other fullback he is worth the money and his utility factor, centre, wing, halves and even second row if it got desperate as well as his fitness over the last couple of years he is worth every cent. Stop denegrating players who are committed to our club.

The footage which lead him to plead guilty was not good but there is also footage of him being intimidated again and again. There has to be some acknowledgement of this.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote:
zim wrote: June 28, 2018, 5:56 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 28, 2018, 5:31 pm Sack him and then enter the market to try and pick him back up at a reduced price. Be great having Jack at the club as long as it's on less $$ so we can buy a good half.

He's a good fella and all but we aren't getting return on the $$ we are paying him. He's been good this year but out of the 8 good not Slater, Tedesco, Turbo good.
I'm trying to think of a scenario where that actually plays out.
If his behavior is bad enough to get him sacked he shouldn't be at the club.
If the club was going to sack him with the obvious ploy of massaging the cap the NRL would step in.
If the club was only sacking him to reduce his wage, Wighton would likely feel he should head elsewhere (I know I would).

He's either staying on the same coin or he's moving on.
It would be a big call and you'd only do it if you're prepared to lose him and think he's currently paid well over the odds.

It would be done on the basis that he has breached the behavioural standards of his current contract so it is torn up.

If he is free to play 2019 by the NRL the Raiders can enter the race for his signature for a new contract with tighter behaviour clauses and at a price closer to his actual market value. If the chooks want him for $700k good luck to them but I'd hope we'd tap out well below that. Pleading guilty to an offence in court lessens a players market value.
All well and good from a technical point of view. Doesn’t consider the emotions of anyone involved which is why it actually doesn’t work.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Yep gangrenous, that comment was probably the dumbest I've seen on here...get off the crack billy
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dumbest is a touch harsh. I mean have you seen those posts with Haikus?
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I don't understand fines for these sort of incidents. Where does the money go? Does it come off the cap? Why don't clubs have a lower base salary say 25% but have a no off field incident bonus of say 25%. In doing this if no suspensions the player gets their full package. If they are suspended they don't get their full wage depending on how long they are suspended for.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 28, 2018, 7:48 pm Dumbest is a touch harsh. I mean have you seen those posts with Haikus?
Or even the post above by w3b3d1g1
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:Dumbest is a touch harsh. I mean have you seen those posts with Haikus?
Not recently. Is there one for the occasion?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Could think it was made by a politician it was so out of touch and devoid of reality
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kona_dream wrote: June 28, 2018, 8:00 pm I don't understand fines for these sort of incidents. Where does the money go? Does it come off the cap? Why don't clubs have a lower base salary say 25% but have a no off field incident bonus of say 25%. In doing this if no suspensions the player gets their full package. If they are suspended they don't get their full wage depending on how long they are suspended for.
I dont know what the NRL does, but every other league i follow donates their fine money to various charities. Id be stunned if the NRL isnt doing the same....

actually it wouldnt shock me at all if Toddy G is just pocketing it
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Neeeegz wrote: June 28, 2018, 7:46 pm Yep gangrenous, that comment was probably the dumbest I've seen on here...get off the crack billy
Yeah yeah it'll never happen but seriously I think it's a golden opportunity to move him on and free up some cash. It's a business and we need decisions made with the head not the heart.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I'm hoping for a short suspension (no more than 8 weeks).

I'll be fuming if the club sacks him and does something ridiculous like buying Corey ****ing Norman.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

reptar wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Dumbest is a touch harsh. I mean have you seen those posts with Haikus?
Oh dear Jack Wighton
Why did you go and fight on
That weren’t too bright son
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton pleads guilty to two charges of assault

Post by Billy Walker »

EDIT.
Last edited by Billy Walker on June 28, 2018, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Resubmit
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:
reptar wrote:
Oh dear Jack Wighton
That'll get T_Rs juices flowing more than a Belgian pub owner!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You thought they’d let go?
Like for Matt Lodge you know. Though
You’re not a Bronco
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

reptar wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
reptar wrote:
Oh dear Jack Wighton
That'll get T_Rs juices flowing more than a Belgian pub owner!
I sang it to myself in a late 80s Jimmy Barnes voice . Worked quite well.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Is the footage of Jack flogging these blokes public?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Brent Read on triple M reckons he may only miss a month.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I am happy to wait and see what the courts decide, shame the nrl thinks they are above them and can act now

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

edwahu wrote:Brent Read on triple M reckons he may only miss a month.

Sounds good to me, I agree with whoever posted earlier that the club would have already known what the NRL wanted to do before Jack pleaded guilty.

If it’s true it’s pretty sad that the NRL hold more weight in these situations then the justice system.

Nicky Boi!!!!
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

cat wrote: June 28, 2018, 9:42 pm I am happy to wait and see what the courts decide, shame the nrl thinks they are above them and can act now

Woah! Hang on... the courts HAVE decided. He assaulted people.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: June 28, 2018, 9:48 pm
cat wrote: June 28, 2018, 9:42 pm I am happy to wait and see what the courts decide, shame the nrl thinks they are above them and can act now

Woah! Hang on... the courts HAVE decided. He assaulted people.
It could just be a big beat up.....