NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton pleads guilty to two charges of assault

Post by -PJ- »

This is damn unfortunate.

On field Jack has been sensational.

But.he cops his punishment and he'll be back bigger next year.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton pleads guilty to two charges of assault

Post by Botman »

GT-7 wrote: June 28, 2018, 12:03 pm I for one Stand by Jack Wighton!
You're standing for a guy who's just plead guilty for two charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Im sure i'll be forgiven if i stay seated
Haha.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

So many variables we don't know about.
Nine
As for the ABH, was that a scratch? A bruise?

He won't face prison. I'm guessing community service, fine or possibly intensive corrective order. Jack has good off field references with indigenous people including kids, and as far we know, no priors.

At worst he may get a suspended sentence.

Raiders won't sack him.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Pigman wrote:
You're standing for a guy who's just plead guilty for two charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Haha.
tough one without knowing the full details.

both sides have the same right here

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Is he straight on a plane to camp up north ?

Let's get a man on the ground down there...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: June 28, 2018, 12:30 pm Is he straight on a plane to camp up north ?

Yes he is on a plane to Queensland this afternoon.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

If he was defending himself I'm all for the club standing by Jack...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: June 28, 2018, 12:34 pm
-PJ- wrote: June 28, 2018, 12:30 pm Is he straight on a plane to camp up north ?

Yes he is on a plane to Queensland this afternoon.
That tells me he's playing..

Well done man on the ground.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wighton pleads guilty to assault charges

Raiders fullback Jack Wighton has pleaded guilty to assault charges on Thursday over an incident at a Canberra nightspot in the pre-season.

Wighton has pleaded guilty to two charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and one charge of public urination at the ACT Magistrates Court. The Canberra Times reported seven other charges were withdrawn when he appeared before Magistrate Bernadette Boss.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/28/can ... t-charges/
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton pleads guilty to two charges of assault

Post by CJ42 »

You guys realise that actual bodily harm is cuts and bruises generally?
I’m not defending his actions but it wasnt grievous bodily harm.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

From the NRL article

NRL.com has approached the Raiders for comment on whether Wighton will be allowed to continue playing now that he has entered a guilty verdict. The club is expected to release a statement later today.

So if the NRL want the broncos to win he wont play......
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I would be surprised if the Raiders don’t continue with the course of action which is to do nothing until the whole process is finished.

Conveniently with this Galambany Court there is a three month period from the point that it is referred there to it is heard, which just happens to be just after the end of this season meaning they will have the summer to decide any punishment from a football perspective.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

As opposed to if he hits him and the victim turns into a unicorn. That’s imaginary bodily harm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: June 28, 2018, 12:29 pm
Pigman wrote:
Haha.

What full story, Boney?
Wighton was charged, he plead guilty. The story is now told, Wighton assaulted 2 guys occasioning actual bodily harm. That's what he's been accused of and what he's admitted to doing.

The rest of the story is foot notes. :lol:

Wighton's right is to now be sentenced for crimes he admitted committing. He's guilty. By his own admission.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Pigman wrote: June 28, 2018, 11:59 am Sack him, buy a half with the money. Seriously.
100% agree. Need to make decisions with the head not the heart. Sure he is a lovely bloke and all but we need a good half, Wighton is on big coin and replaceable and he put himself in this position.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: June 28, 2018, 12:55 pm
Pigman wrote: June 28, 2018, 11:59 am Sack him, buy a half with the money. Seriously.
100% agree. Need to make decisions with the head not the heart. Sure he is a lovely bloke and all but we need a good half, Wighton is on big coin and replaceable and he put himself in this position.
Yeah, thats the thing for me. This isnt a "He's guilty! What a scumbag! I cant have him representing MY TEAM!" sort of thing, although im really getting a laugh out of the reaction here and on social media by fans considering he just plead guilty to some pretty serious crimes.

It's a bad charge, the courts will impose some punishment. The NRL will impose their punishment. And whatever that is, it is.
But we have a cap issue, we need to upgrade our halves and this gives us a chance to go in another direction

Wighton's been great for us this year, one of our best in fact. But if i feel i can get 70% of Wighton out of Cotric at fullback, and 70% of Cotric out of OIdfield at wing... and that free's up money to get an upgrade in the halves, which is sorely needed... to me that's a path we should consider taking.

1. Cotric
2. Oldfield
6. Norman/who ever
7. Sezer

or

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
6. Williams
7. Sezer

I know which i'd prefer. Ideally we'd be able to keep Wighton and still get a half upgrade but all the talk is that's not possible given our current cap situation
Last edited by Botman on June 28, 2018, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote: June 28, 2018, 12:51 pm
bonehead wrote: June 28, 2018, 12:29 pm
Pigman wrote:
Haha.

What full story, Boney?
Wighton was charged, he plead guilty. The story is now told, Wighton assaulted 2 guys occasioning actual bodily harm. That's what he's been accused of and what he's admitted to doing.

The rest of the story is foot notes. :lol:

Wighton's right is to now be sentenced for crimes he admitted committing. He's guilty. By his own admission.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

This proves what we already knew;
When Jack Wighton assaults you, actual harm to your body occurs.

Meh, I got told through an old favourite Hooker of the Greenhouse that Jack EDIT. It was just going to come down to whether he could justify self defence based on the video.
Obviously not.

This charge reflects the fact he EDIT. Scruff in the street late at night. They were carrying on giving him stick and he EDIT.
Cop it and move on.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I want to see Jack at 6 and a fair dinkum fullback that knows how to position themselves in that role.
Norman doesn’t excite me, and there’s no one else decent available.
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Post by MS_1302 »

He wouldn't have plead guilty if it was self-defence, anyway he will have to be stood down whether its a decision by the Raiders or NRL. Best case he'll get a good behaviour bond.

From a Raiders perspective, poor timing with Rapana out - wouldnt have been such an issue to fill in the gaps otherwise. Even if he does play, not sure he will be in a sound state of mind with sentencing next week - i can already see him putting down a bomb or 2
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beejay wrote: June 28, 2018, 1:07 pm I want to see Jack at 6 and a fair dinkum fullback that knows how to position themselves in that role.

If the cap issues are legit, and we dont sack Wighton
I am very VERY quickly coming around to the idea of Wighton-Sezer in the halves next year, with Cotric or some other good young player we can find at fullback

if Williams-Sezer is the answer, we've asked the wrong bloody question
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Pigman wrote: June 28, 2018, 1:00 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 28, 2018, 12:55 pm
Yeah, thats the thing for me. This isnt a "He's guilty! What a scumbag! I cant have him representing MY TEAM!" sort of thing

It's a bad charge, the courts will impose some punishment. The NRL will impose their punishment. And whatever that is, it is.
But we have a cap issue, we need to upgrade our halves and this gives us a chance to go in another direction
Yeh actually.

By big coin I imagine $800k.
If its that much then yeh,
Wightons not so good he's irreplaceable.

swap cotric to fullback and use the money on another half.
Only problem is, whose a good half?
Norman? lol
Hastings? lol
Elgey? lol

Lets face it. Its the halves that have the biggest hand that lead a team to a premiership. Who is such a good half? that is available? that we could realistically get? Who is also a player other will rally to?

The risk is we dump wighton, he goes on to play for NSW. We end up with some other failure at half and end up on another 20 year rebuild.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Its sucky timing, but it was always coming.

He is guilty. Deal with it.

He will take his punishments - law, NRL and Raiders.

Then lets see where we stand.

Abbey was brought in over the off season because this was looming. Lets see how that fairs too.
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

This is fair. It's all or nothing - we either want him to stay in which case we minimise the time he's on the sidelines for, or we sack him outright and lobby the NRL to ban him for a while. If our cap is in dire straits as it sounds, he must be on massive coin.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Pigman wrote: June 28, 2018, 1:10 pm
Beejay wrote: June 28, 2018, 1:07 pm I want to see Jack at 6 and a fair dinkum fullback that knows how to position themselves in that role.

If the cap issues are legit, and we dont sack Wighton
I am very VERY quickly coming around to the idea of Wighton-Sezer in the halves next year, with Cotric or some other good young player we can find at fullback

if Williams-Sezer is the answer, we've asked the wrong bloody question
We will not be sacking Wighton, you can take it to the bank.
GT-7
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by GT-7 »

Anyways, hope Wighton stays!!!

Not as if there are many options out there for us to choose from. Cotric played one game at fullback against the Bullfrogs. I wouldn't be quick to say he's the answer at fullback.

IN WIGHTON WE TRUST
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Please remember everyone, that we don’t accept posts in matters such as these which make claims which go beyond the known facts. There are legal proceedings still on foot. All we know is Jack has pleaded guilty to two charges of assault and where and when that took place. Claims about the circumstances need a link to a reputable news source.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

If we sack him it is only a matter of time before his agent is taking calls from 3-4 other clubs looking to snap him up. We've sacked players in this situation before, and it has got us nowhere and only benefited our opposition. Will we stand him down? Most definitely. But I'd be very very surprised if we terminated his contract.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Wait until the result Saturday night if we lose the season is over so suspend him for the rest of the year and send him to rehab in Thailand. Fresh start next year -Redemption!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton to be stood down for Brisbane Broncos game

Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton will be stood down for their season-defining game against the Brisbane Broncos.

Canberra are yet to decide on what sanctions, if any, to impose on Wighton, but it's believed even if they pick him then the NRL will step in and stand him down anyway.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zod2.html
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Sack him and then enter the market to try and pick him back up at a reduced price. Be great having Jack at the club as long as it's on less $$ so we can buy a good half.

He's a good fella and all but we aren't getting return on the $$ we are paying him. He's been good this year but out of the 8 good not Slater, Tedesco, Turbo good.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Did Abbey fly to Brisbane? Or Cotric to the back with another winger coming in?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Club had no choice but to stand him down once he entered the guilty plea. His 2018 season now depends on the legal process and any NRL imposed sanctions in tandem with the Raiders internal disciplinary process. Timing from the teams point of view is poor, but Clubs, in particular our Club, can no longer try to 'ride out the storm'.

I doubt the Raiders will tear up his contract. I am unaware of any prior serious behavioral issues so I doubt it will be 'one strike and you're out'.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Billy Walker wrote: June 28, 2018, 5:31 pm Sack him and then enter the market to try and pick him back up at a reduced price. Be great having Jack at the club as long as it's on less $$ so we can buy a good half.

He's a good fella and all but we aren't getting return on the $$ we are paying him. He's been good this year but out of the 8 good not Slater, Tedesco, Turbo good.
I'm trying to think of a scenario where that actually plays out.
If his behavior is bad enough to get him sacked he shouldn't be at the club.
If the club was going to sack him with the obvious ploy of massaging the cap the NRL would step in.
If the club was only sacking him to reduce his wage, Wighton would likely feel he should head elsewhere (I know I would).

He's either staying on the same coin or he's moving on.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ignoring whether or not it's the right thing to do, I wouldn't sack him based on his football. He is playing like a 700k fullback this year.