NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton in alleged nightclub fight

Post by greeneyed »

Hi all... just a reminder... some posts are sailing pretty close to the wind with speculation. Can we please stick to just the facts as they are so far reported, thanks.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Gorilla wrote:All in my opinion but just sounds like he was taking a piss and these guys started giving him **** and they biffed. Jack has allegedly given them a hiding and now they pressing charges. Would be intersting to know if the other guys have charges against them.

The articles that have come out make it sound like Jack has assaulted 3 guys? How come no one on here is backing Jack - 3 blokes against 1 guy but all the hate is against Jack - what if he was just defending him self.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Let's just say you are way off the money.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Gorilla wrote: April 9, 2018, 4:36 pm All in my opinion but just sounds like he was taking a piss and these guys started giving him **** and they biffed. Jack has allegedly given them a hiding and now they pressing charges. Would be intersting to know if the other guys have charges against them.

The articles that have come out make it sound like Jack has assaulted 3 guys? How come no one on here is backing Jack - 3 blokes against 1 guy but all the hate is against Jack - what if he was just defending him self.

Yeah well, you would hope that would be his defence. I can't imagine what other defence there would be, to my limited criminal law knowledge.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I think people are getting way, way ahead of themselves.

There are a multitude of things he could have done that could result in these kinds of charges. None of them anywhere near what Lodge or Packer did.
Gorilla
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Gorilla »

Captain Punish wrote:
Gorilla wrote:All in my opinion but just sounds like he was taking a piss and these guys started giving him **** and they biffed. Jack has allegedly given them a hiding and now they pressing charges. Would be intersting to know if the other guys have charges against them.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Ah well I'm not in the know but I'd like to give him benefit of the doubt.

Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Or maybe some people have heard what he did but cannot say it until it's been released due to GH Guidelines? But in saying that, it is still hearsay until it is confirmed.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Look, I’m sure there’s a good chance some of the charges are just because he was a witness to someone else hitting someone or urinating

I’m sure it’s all just the media making up lies about the raiders, don’t you know that’s all they ever do??
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Off to the Knights anyway if you listen to the rumours
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

With little head firmly in hand
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

sprintman wrote:Off to the Knights anyway if you listen to the rumours
I sure do!

Jack to Newcastle.
Austin to Souths.
Junior to Parramatta.
Sezer to the Bulldogs.
Papalii to the Warriors, Titans or Broncos.
And we are getting Farah and Norman.

Have I missed any??!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Drinkwater and Kaufusi as well.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Certainly not going to dance on the grave if this does end Jack's time here in Canberra. I really don't want add another player to the list of "talented local juniors who never fulfill their potential at the Raiders". Living overseas I have no idea what transpired, but everything seems to suggest it's pretty damn serious.

There may be a silver lining if it makes the club more active in recruiting a quality fullback and getting Jack's (reportedly) inflated salary off the books. But these are a reflection of errors from the front office much more so than Wighton himself, not really his fault that he's been played out of position on a massive wedge for a couple of years.
Surlyraider
Simon Woolford
Location: "If you don't like Canberra, f&#! off back where you came from"

Post by Surlyraider »

Captain Punish wrote: April 9, 2018, 4:51 pm
Correct
"I'm the white Larry Bird"
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

sprintman wrote: April 9, 2018, 5:55 pm Off to the Knights anyway if you listen to the rumours
Guess he will play centre.
WorkChoice
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

LP Raider wrote:
sprintman wrote: April 9, 2018, 5:55 pm Off to the Knights anyway if you listen to the rumours
Lucky Stuart isn’t coach, no way would he start Ponga over Jack

In Ricky We Trust
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

LP Raider wrote: April 9, 2018, 7:32 pm
At least he will have to accept centre money too. Still gets paid
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Bay53 wrote:Generally people don’t start a fight when taking a leak.
Must be a Canberra thing. Didn’t Toddles punch up one of Tilse’s mates, then took a leak on him?
Very Canberra. The Civic Handshake
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

That'll be stuarts basis for keeping him... Why would we release him so he can be signed by another club...
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins

Post by Raiders Lim! »

twistedbydesign wrote:Certainly not going to dance on the grave if this does end Jack's time here in Canberra. I really don't want add another player to the list of "talented local juniors who never fulfill their potential at the Raiders". Living overseas I have no idea what transpired, but everything seems to suggest it's pretty damn serious.

There may be a silver lining if it makes the club more active in recruiting a quality fullback and getting Jack's (reportedly) inflated salary off the books. But these are a reflection of errors from the front office much more so than Wighton himself, not really his fault that he's been played out of position on a massive wedge for a couple of years.
This hasn’t made the BBC’s top stories mate? Image

twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Raiders Lim! wrote: April 9, 2018, 8:27 pm
twistedbydesign wrote:Certainly not going to dance on the grave if this does end Jack's time here in Canberra. I really don't want add another player to the list of "talented local juniors who never fulfill their potential at the Raiders". Living overseas I have no idea what transpired, but everything seems to suggest it's pretty damn serious.

This hasn’t made the BBC’s top stories mate? Image

haha not yet mate. As an NRL player you usually need to go "full Monaghan" to make the international news agenda :lol:
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

It is interesting the things you learn when talking to someone who knows the bloke. Allegedly.

EDIT

Can't say I have a lot of sympathy. How much do you have to allegedly make a year before people will act like professionals ?
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins

Post by tommyhud9 »

Hard to imagine him playing in green again after Wednesday given the charges EDIT.

Sad to see another junior leave the club, however I don't think it's all that much of a loss. Use the money wisely.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'll call it now. He goes to another club and plays centre permanently, within 18 months he'll be regarded as the best centre in the game.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Goobeeful »

Raiders to select under-fire fullback Jack Wighton as he prepares to face court

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is set to name his under-fire fullback Jack Wighton for Saturday night’s clash with the Eels just a day before he appears in court to face nine charges. It is expected the matter will be adjourned to be heard at a later date.

The Raiders board has not instructed the club to stand Wighton down while the court proceedings are pending and the NRL is expected to wait for the outcome of the fullback’s case before deciding what sanctions if any should be handed down.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e5c155ec52
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

gergreg wrote:I'll call it now. He goes to another club and plays centre permanently, within 18 months he'll be regarded as the best centre in the game.
Uncle Nick from the roosters will be lining up an offer now. More than likely work as a junior development officer for the remainder of the year then be in the side from round 1 next year

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

twistedbydesign wrote: April 9, 2018, 6:19 pm Certainly not going to dance on the grave if this does end Jack's time here in Canberra. I really don't want add another player to the list of "talented local juniors who never fulfill their potential at the Raiders". Living overseas I have no idea what transpired, but everything seems to suggest it's pretty damn serious.

Given he has been in first grade for over five years, and only had consistent form for about 10 weeks at the end of 2016, I think we are a fair way down that path anyway.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 9, 2018, 1:16 pm How did it get to be that everyone calls Jack Wighton by his first name? Jack did this, Jack did that...

I can't remember that happening with any other player.
I am Jack's total lack of surprise.

I think it's because he seems quite childlike.
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Post by Relax-init »

LastRaider wrote: April 10, 2018, 7:52 am
gergreg wrote:I'll call it now. He goes to another club and plays centre permanently, within 18 months he'll be regarded as the best centre in the game.
Uncle Nick from the roosters will be lining up an offer now. More than likely work as a junior development officer for the remainder of the year then be in the side from round 1 next year

He's gunna need a bigger hat..........
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Relax-init wrote: April 10, 2018, 10:20 am
LastRaider wrote: April 10, 2018, 7:52 am

He's gunna need a bigger hat..........
Hes got a closet full of hats, finds one or two newer ones each year, usually bigger
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Gorilla wrote: April 9, 2018, 4:36 pm All in my opinion but just sounds like he was taking a piss and these guys started giving him **** and they biffed. Jack has allegedly given them a hiding and now they pressing charges. Would be intersting to know if the other guys have charges against them.

How do you press charges??

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote: April 10, 2018, 8:05 pm

By watching too much tv.

Or by taking them to the dry cleaner
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote: April 10, 2018, 8:16 pm
T_R wrote: April 10, 2018, 8:05 pm

By watching too much tv.

Or by taking them to the dry cleaner
:lol:

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 10, 2018, 8:07 am
Canberra Milk wrote: April 9, 2018, 1:16 pm How did it get to be that everyone calls Jack Wighton by his first name? Jack did this, Jack did that...

It started with the trampoline incident, Jack will end up at the Storm under Bellamy and play Origin in the centres by 2020
Surlyraider
Simon Woolford
Location: "If you don't like Canberra, f&#! off back where you came from"

Post by Surlyraider »

Gorilla wrote: April 9, 2018, 4:36 pm
All in my opinion but just sounds like he was taking a piss and these guys started giving him **** and they biffed. Jack has allegedly given them a hiding and now they pressing charges. Would be intersting to know if the other guys have charges against them.
Except there's no such thing as pressing charges in this country. Only the Police can lay or "press" charges. It's their decision.
"I'm the white Larry Bird"
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Kryptonite wrote: April 10, 2018, 9:49 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 10, 2018, 8:07 am

It started with the trampoline incident, Jack will end up at the Storm under Bellamy and play Origin in the centres by 2020
Can’t see him signing there with Chambers/Scott on their books.

I agree though that where ever he ends up he will be playing Origin in the centers not to long into the near future.