NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton in alleged nightclub fight

Post by Neeeegz »

Wow, what did he think would happen I guess ????
Normal people can lose jobs because of it, not being a public figures out on the piss.. but sounds like he "stacked on a good blew" at least
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Easy.

1. Cotric.
2. Croker.
3. Wighton.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Either Croker, Wighton or Neddy could play fullback, centre or wing
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Now you talking dubby...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

dubby wrote: April 7, 2018, 6:27 pm Easy.

1. Cotric.
2. Croker.
3. Wighton.
Doesn't seem worth it when Jack probably has max 2 or 3 games left for us.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

I don’t care how drunk you are, you have to be pretty much clinically brain dead to engage in these alleged shenanigans
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: April 7, 2018, 6:34 pm

1. Cotric.
2. Croker.
3. Wighton.
It can't be as serious as what Lodge did so he'll be back in the game. My hope is the Raiders suspend him rather than sack him. We lose out if we sack him, whereas we can come out on top if we suspend him without pay.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Green eyed Mick wrote:

1. Cotric.
2. Croker.
3. Wighton.
It can't be as serious as what Lodge did so he'll be back in the game. My hope is the Raiders suspend him rather than sack him. We lose out if we sack him, whereas we can come out on top if we suspend him without pay.
He will not be kept. He is done. EDIT

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 7, 2018, 6:52 pm

1. Cotric.
2. Croker.
3. Wighton.
Why shouldn't we lose out? He was a member of the club at the time?

I don't think we lose much anyway, he is on very good money and like nearly all players is replaceable.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 7, 2018, 6:52 pm

1. Cotric.
2. Croker.
3. Wighton.
I think that's jumping the gun as at Saturday 7/4/18. No charges have been laid and no one has been found guilty of anything. Presumption of innocence. There is nothing for the NRL or the Raiders to penalise at this point in time. Let's wait to see what charges are laid and then if they are proved before making decisions on a young man's future.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If you have been asked to show up at Magistrates court and presented with a police report doesnt that mean charges have been laid? They just cant be reported on yet.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

edwahu wrote: April 7, 2018, 7:07 pm If you have been asked to show up at Magistrates court and presented with a police report doesnt that mean charges have been laid? They just cant be reported on yet.
i cant access the article cause i am too cheap to pay but the bit I can read doesnt say he has been charged, he could have been called as a witness for all we know.

I am struggling to understand how the telegraph are "knowing" all this and the canberra times dont. Feels witch hunting to me , maybe someone should contact the crookwell witch and get this sorted!
Vaccinated
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

cat wrote:
edwahu wrote: April 7, 2018, 7:07 pm If you have been asked to show up at Magistrates court and presented with a police report doesnt that mean charges have been laid? They just cant be reported on yet.
i cant access the article cause i am too cheap to pay but the bit I can read doesnt say he has been charged, he could have been called as a witness for all we know.

I am struggling to understand how the telegraph are "knowing" all this and the canberra times dont. Feels witch hunting to me , maybe someone should contact the crookwell witch and get this sorted!
Cat, deadset. He isn't a witness. Your green tinted glasses are ridiculous. He hasn't been vjarged because charges are to be laid. Upwards of 9, across multiple victims. I know you have a bias toward your team, but acceptance is needed here. He is not a damn witness, and it is not a witch hunt.

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Captain Punish wrote: April 7, 2018, 8:36 pm
cat wrote:

Cat, deadset. He isn't a witness. Your green tinted glasses are ridiculous. He hasn't been vjarged because charges are to be laid. Upwards of 9, across multiple victims. I know you have a bias toward your team, but acceptance is needed here. He is not a damn witness, and it is not a witch hunt.

Firstly i am not a canberra local, so i dont know how your system works for sure.

But in Sydney you dont get a court date before you get charged!

And I am confident something happened,but call me sweet and innocent but I am struggling to understand why after all these months its suddenly a big deal and all the juicey bits are coming from the telegraph and the local paper seems to be out of the loop, dont they have court reporters who would know this stuff?

Jack reported this whole thing to the raiders when it happened and the club let the nrl know straight away. Noone seemed to worried then, and jack certainly hasnt been acting like a worried man

Its not about me being biased to the men in green, it just doesnt make sense
Vaccinated
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

cat wrote: April 7, 2018, 8:33 pm

He is charged, it's in the courts list. Link

By the way, the site outline.com will help you read the articles.

thanks mate, this will be interesting.....
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton facing nine charges over alleged Civic brawl

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton's NRL career is in danger of spiralling out of control as he faces nine charges relating to an alleged late night brawl in Civic.

Wighton will appear in the ACT Magistrates Court on Wednesday, just days after the birth of his second child, with charges expected to range from affray to assault.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 4z8cm.html
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

edwahu wrote:
cat wrote: April 7, 2018, 8:33 pm

He is charged, it's in the courts list. Link

By the way, the site outline.com will help you read the articles.
That’s a lot of Wightons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Yeah that... doesn't look great.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

I'd say that's Wighton the money for a sacking..

nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Alleged CCTV footage

(mostly of Paulo eating pie.)
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Remember that 9 charges may not mean 9 incidents. There might be one or two infractions, but they've thrown 9 charges at it in the hope something will stick. Assault and affray are quite close together.

I'm still not seeing a sackable offence here, I'm sorry. Presumption of innocence. If he's convicted of more than one then it's another story. But for now these are only charges.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Will he still get paid though?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

This whole thing sucks, but I can gain some solace in the fact cat denies the nine OBVIOUS charges against Jack are actually against him.

“Maybe he’s being called up as a witness?”

Never change, cat. You’ve never once had close to an idea about anything, but your loyalty has never been without fault
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Brew wrote:Will he still get paid though?

Paul Kent said the other night that he only gets paid for the time served on his contract. The rest we get back to use on our cap. So he gets about half his contracted amount for the year.

CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

edwahu wrote:Interesting article from Barry Toohey, who usually has 100% mail for anything Knights related. Suggests that the Knights are looking at Jack pending the outcome of his case.

More interestingly he reckons Jack's manager approached them before the season started and asked if they were interested in signing him if he could get a release. Apparently he wants to play center to improve his rep chances.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/53284 ... ws/?cs=306
Wow if true that's hilarious

Even Jack doesn't want Jack at the back

Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Herein ends the season/career of Wighton at the Raiders.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Jumping the gun a little, but I wonder what we do now with over half a million dollars spare.

If Paulo moves on, we have $1m or so in our kitty, interesting...
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

nacho wrote: April 7, 2018, 11:24 pm Jumping the gun a little, but I wonder what we do now with over half a million dollars spare.

If we also punt Austin, I'd be looking at a Green/Townsend style half to take a bit of pressure off Sezer and who won't overplay their hand. Just a genuinely cool head but not a liability like Williams. Then also look at signing a more mobile prop if we ditch Paulo.

I'd then look at signing a top-flight centre, so we could have Cotric at the back and Croker - New Signing - Leilua - Rapana across the back.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

It seems obvious to all of us, but putting Croker on the wing seems "impossible" - god I hope it happens.

...it also means him losing his captaincy really, I don't even know who the last "winger captain" there was
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brewdle wrote: April 7, 2018, 6:50 pm I don’t care how drunk you are, you have to be pretty much clinically brain dead to engage in these alleged shenanigans
Exactly, the last thing I want to do when drunk is fight.

I like to fight drunk people while being completely sober.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-PJ- wrote:
Brewdle wrote: April 7, 2018, 6:50 pm I don’t care how drunk you are, you have to be pretty much clinically brain dead to engage in these alleged shenanigans

Me either, except for that **** across the room who's been eyeballing me all **** night.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

nacho wrote:Jumping the gun a little, but I wonder what we do now with over half a million dollars spare.

Maybe go after Barba, or Mansour.

In Ricky We Trust
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

nacho wrote: April 7, 2018, 11:32 pm It seems obvious to all of us, but putting Croker on the wing seems "impossible" - god I hope it happens.

...it also means him losing his captaincy really, I don't even know who the last "winger captain" there was
GIdley was a NSW captain on the bench :lol:
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

T_R wrote:
-PJ- wrote:

Me either, except for that **** across the room who's been eyeballing me all **** night.

That night at Broadbeach Tav when we were minding our business having a beer and Shillo came over swinging..

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Captain Punish wrote:
T_R wrote:
-PJ- wrote:

That night at Broadbeach Tav when we were minding our business having a beer and Shillo came over swinging..

Shocking haircut, but lovely chap

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.