NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton in alleged nightclub fight

Post by T_R »

edwahu wrote:Sounds like a bit of a rampage if it was 4 seperste incidents as the article implies.

Also Scott Drinkwater? That would be an odd signing, not sure we need any more cover.
I know it has no meaning at NRL level, but I went out and watched him play the Sunshine Coast Falcons last weekend, and he was so far ahead of anyone else on the field it was embarrassing.

But the Falcons are pretty crap, to be fair.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I just realized I was thinking of Josh Drinkwater.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

He was signed as the successor to Cronk. I would sign him.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-TW- wrote: April 6, 2018, 5:46 pm
cat wrote: April 6, 2018, 4:57 pm Why would it take so long to lay charges?

It doesnt sound like a complicated "crime"

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Review footage, witness statements, victim statements

That stuff takes time
Also the fact he is high profile, there's media interest, he has heaps of money to spend on a good solicitor/barrister (he got paid).

The cops would want to make sure they have a water-tight case prior to charging someone so high-profile.

Even with a solid case, these prosecutions often fail. Hazem El Masri, not guilty. Sean Kenny-Dowall, not guilty. Semi Radradra, not guilty.

"Not guilty" doesn't actually mean "not guilty". Often means you got a good lawyer and can get off on a technicality, or there was a reasonable doubt (even if you're guilty as sin).
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
DarkRaider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DarkRaider »

I have no idea what Wighton’s done but would be gutted to lose him. He’s dynamite. Plenty of talk he’s overpaid, even though none of us know what he really earns, but even taking some of the more inflated figures I seriously doubt you go to market with that and find an upgrade on Jack. Likely the exact opposite.

Cotric did a fine job at fullback but he’s no Wighton yet. Doesn’t have same the ballplaying ability, isn’t as fit, doesn’t return the ball with the same venom. Enormous talent, massive potential but if (or perhaps when) he does supplant Jack at the back Wighton is, at worst, a very very good outside back worth having around.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

EDIT

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Last edited by greeneyed on April 6, 2018, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate remark, which broke forum guidelines.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I find the Wighton love remarkable. He is solid in attack, but he single handedly lost us the first 2 games of the season with his positioning at the back... I have no doubt we'd be paying him serious coin. Stick is absolutely in love with the bloke.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

FROG wrote:I find the Wighton love remarkable. He is solid in attack, but he single handedly lost us the first 2 games of the season with his positioning at the back... I have no doubt we'd be paying him serious coin. Stick is absolutely in love with the bloke.
Single handedly? Wow! You need to watch the games again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

FROG wrote: April 6, 2018, 8:42 pm I find the Wighton love remarkable. He is solid in attack, but he single handedly lost us the first 2 games of the season with his positioning at the back... I have no doubt we'd be paying him serious coin. Stick is absolutely in love with the bloke.
Think you need to clean your glasses buddy, if you think Jack was the reason we lost those games.

And he was one of our best in the Manly game. Really put in.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

FROG wrote:I find the Wighton love remarkable. He is solid in attack, but he single handedly lost us the first 2 games of the season with his positioning at the back... I have no doubt we'd be paying him serious coin. Stick is absolutely in love with the bloke.
Dear O dear.
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

The funny thing is, He isn't even a ball player. His passes, more often then not look hurried, and often end up behind the supporting player. He crabs cross field and often leaves his support crammed for room.
He's quite similar to Dugan, in that respect.

He's a great one on one defender,, but his goal line defence is HORRIBLE.
He almost concedes once the ball carriers body is over the line.
Lock forward, on lock forwards Money or adios.

We absolutely have to enquire about Barba if wighton gets the chop.
Im just, bicking back being bool
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Dear O dear
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

The titans scored 3 tries from grubbers. Jack wasn't anywhere near any of them. Against the knights, he was caught out of place when someone I think Watson dropped the ball over the line. 5 mins later the Knights are in the same position catch Wighton out AGAIN and score in the exact same position. Fortunately the warriors and sea eagles didn't drop in grubbers so we got the benefits of what he brings in attack without conceding multiple tries/repeat sets. Next time a team has us in our red zone watch his positioning and then compare it to elite fullbacks and I reckon you'll be horrified
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

FROG wrote: April 7, 2018, 2:51 am The titans scored 3 tries from grubbers. Jack wasn't anywhere near any of them. Against the knights, he was caught out of place when someone I think Watson dropped the ball over the line. 5 mins later the Knights are in the same position catch Wighton out AGAIN and score in the exact same position. Fortunately the warriors and sea eagles didn't drop in grubbers so we got the benefits of what he brings in attack without conceding multiple tries/repeat sets. Next time a team has us in our red zone watch his positioning and then compare it to elite fullbacks and I reckon you'll be horrified
I agree. And this thought that you have to have a "ball playing" fullback, cos yeah we'd turn down RTS, Tedesco or Slater :roflmao
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Cant believe he left his Mrs at home 5 -6 weeks out from being due to give birth with their second kid, before the start of a season and allegedly got on the drink and fighting at 3am, what the hell was he thinking ? That's arrogant and irresponsible
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Neeeegz wrote:Cant believe he left his Mrs at home 5 -6 weeks out from being due to give birth with their second kid, before the start of a season and allegedly got on the drink and fighting at 3am, what the hell was he thinking ? That's arrogant and irresponsible
Well it went down on the weekend kf the 3/4 Feb, it was the best part of 8 weeks. This is a long way out from d-day. Not to mention he went down the road from home for his b'day.

Now I dislike Jack, somewhat irrationally may I add, more than anyone, but this line of attack is irrelevant. Leaving your partner for 1 night when still 2 months away from birth is common. It's not hours, days or a couple of weeks now. There is no expecting arrival. It's months away. And he went to the pub in the City. Not to Vegas to do coke and whores. Be slightly reasonable here.

I think he is a bad human and I want nothing more than him to never be my fullback again, but leaving his missus for a night, be serious.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

FROG wrote:The titans scored 3 tries from grubbers. Jack wasn't anywhere near any of them. Against the knights, he was caught out of place when someone I think Watson dropped the ball over the line. 5 mins later the Knights are in the same position catch Wighton out AGAIN and score in the exact same position. Fortunately the warriors and sea eagles didn't drop in grubbers so we got the benefits of what he brings in attack without conceding multiple tries/repeat sets. Next time a team has us in our red zone watch his positioning and then compare it to elite fullbacks and I reckon you'll be horrified
I picked up on that also. Unfortunately his good games are as common as his bad games. Lacks consistency

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Captain Punish wrote: April 7, 2018, 8:29 am
Neeeegz wrote:Cant believe he left his Mrs at home 5 -6 weeks out from being due to give birth with their second kid, before the start of a season and allegedly got on the drink and fighting at 3am, what the hell was he thinking ? That's arrogant and irresponsible
Well it went down on the weekend kf the 3/4 Feb, it was the best part of 8 weeks. This is a long way out from d-day. Not to mention he went down the road from home for his b'day.

Now I dislike Jack, somewhat irrationally may I add, more than anyone, but this line of attack is irrelevant. Leaving your partner for 1 night when still 2 months away from birth is common. It's not hours, days or a couple of weeks now. There is no expecting arrival. It's months away. And he went to the pub in the City. Not to Vegas to do coke and whores. Be slightly reasonable here.

I think he is a bad human and I want nothing more than him to never be my fullback again, but leaving his missus for a night, be serious.

Fair enough, still not a good look weeks out from the season start, with another young bub at home. I still regard it as selfish imo
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

LastRaider wrote: April 7, 2018, 10:05 am
FROG wrote:The titans scored 3 tries from grubbers. Jack wasn't anywhere near any of them. Against the knights, he was caught out of place when someone I think Watson dropped the ball over the line. 5 mins later the Knights are in the same position catch Wighton out AGAIN and score in the exact same position. Fortunately the warriors and sea eagles didn't drop in grubbers so we got the benefits of what he brings in attack without conceding multiple tries/repeat sets. Next time a team has us in our red zone watch his positioning and then compare it to elite fullbacks and I reckon you'll be horrified
I picked up on that also. Unfortunately his good games are as common as his bad games. Lacks consistency

I don't think anyone would argue that Jack makes ALL the right decisions, but for every grubbed try you can usually look 1 or 2 playes earlier and he has been dragged into the backline to save someone's ****. Whether that's all down to our poor defensive reads, or smart opposition players setting up to purposely drag him out of position I don't know. But it's not as simple as saying he missed the grubber, so the try is his fault, because regularly he is out of position to help a flailing Austin or Williams, or a slow to cover Papalli. If he didn't cover, the try would have been scored earlier in the set.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
FROG wrote: April 7, 2018, 2:51 am The titans scored 3 tries from grubbers. Jack wasn't anywhere near any of them. Against the knights, he was caught out of place when someone I think Watson dropped the ball over the line. 5 mins later the Knights are in the same position catch Wighton out AGAIN and score in the exact same position. Fortunately the warriors and sea eagles didn't drop in grubbers so we got the benefits of what he brings in attack without conceding multiple tries/repeat sets. Next time a team has us in our red zone watch his positioning and then compare it to elite fullbacks and I reckon you'll be horrified
I agree. And this thought that you have to have a "ball playing" fullback, cos yeah we'd turn down RTS, Tedesco or Slater :roflmao
This is why I want to give Cotric more of a chance. He's been written off already.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just a quick reminder that these are allegations at present, and will remain so even if charges were laid... so please make sure that you refer to them in this way, thanks.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Coastalraider wrote:

I don't think anyone would argue that Jack makes ALL the right decisions, but for every grubbed try you can usually look 1 or 2 playes earlier and he has been dragged into the backline to save someone's ****. Whether that's all down to our poor defensive reads, or smart opposition players setting up to purposely drag him out of position I don't know. But it's not as simple as saying he missed the grubber, so the try is his fault, because regularly he is out of position to help a flailing Austin or Williams, or a slow to cover Papalli. If he didn't cover, the try would have been scored earlier in the set.
This is exactly it.
The way the raiders defend has our fullback regularly in the line to plug gaps. Those gaps are much worse and frequent when we defend badly which has been every game except most of the dogs game.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

This is exactly it.
The way the raiders defend has our fullback regularly in the line to plug gaps. Those gaps are much worse and frequent when we defend badly which has been every game except most of the dogs game.
yep because thankfully Sammy only had to defend a hack in Josh Jackson who couldn't break thru wet toilet paper

Edrick The Entertainer
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

bonehead wrote:
zim wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

This is exactly it.
yep because thankfully Sammy only had to defend a hack in Josh Jackson who couldn't break thru wet toilet paper

He did try to break Sezer's head, though
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

reptar wrote:
bonehead wrote:
zim wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:
LastRaider wrote: April 7, 2018, 10:05 am I picked up on that also. Unfortunately his good games are as common as his bad games. Lacks consistency

This is exactly it.

He did try to break Sezer's head, though
couldn't even do that properly.
Just on that, noticed in that set he tried to put a shot on then stood back on body's charge before attacking a defenceless kicker.
Hack.

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You and I could both break through wet bog roll boney...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

That's NSW Origin Great Josh Jackson to you

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: April 6, 2018, 6:47 pm Jack Wighton's Canberra Raiders future hinging on investigation

Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton's immediate playing future hinges on the outcome of the ACT Policing investigation into a Civic brawl, which is likely to be finalised next week.

Further details have emerged of the alleged involvement of the Raiders star in three assaults outside Canberra nightclub Academy five weeks before the start of the NRL season. Melbourne Storm fullback Scott Drinkwater has been linked as potential cover for Wighton.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 4z85o.html
I find Mr Wighton innocent of all charges.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Interesting article from Barry Toohey, who usually has 100% mail for anything Knights related. Suggests that the Knights are looking at Jack pending the outcome of his case.

More interestingly he reckons Jack's manager approached them before the season started and asked if they were interested in signing him if he could get a release. Apparently he wants to play center to improve his rep chances.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/53284 ... ws/?cs=306
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

edwahu wrote: April 7, 2018, 3:30 pm Interesting article from Barry Toohey, who usually has 100% mail for anything Knights related. Suggests that the Knights are looking at Jack pending the outcome of his case.

More interestingly he reckons Jack's manager approached them before the season started and asked if they were interested in signing him if he could get a release. Apparently he wants to play center to improve his rep chances.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/53284 ... ws/?cs=306
On full backs money?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Probably why it never went further. Knights did have money to burn though and we might have paid some of it since we were in cap trouble.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Why doesn't he approach stick and ask to play centre then?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:Why doesn't he approach stick and ask to play centre then?
because of the skipper

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL and Canberra Raiders ready to take hard line as Jack Wighton faces nine criminal charges

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton is facing nine seperate criminal charges related to his alleged involvement in a bloodied fight in the ACT. Wighton spent last Friday in urgent meetings with his legal team after receiving notice to attend the ACT Magistrates court at 9am on Wednesday.

The charges - while unable to be revealed by The Sunday Telegraph - are believed to be varying in seriousness. The charges against Wighton also involve more than three individuals.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 69382eb964
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

At the end of the day if we choose to let him go and he serves whatever punishment the NRL and courts decide, then he should be able to start playing elsewhere.

Sure, it means we get punished again while another club benefits but at the end of the day if guilty he did the wrong thing while a Canberra player.