NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton in alleged nightclub fight

Post by edwahu »

No charges are even laid and if they are he will play until the court case is done, which is probably 6 months away.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

But what will the charges be? From the information provided so far he had a little fight and no one was badly injured or killed and the integrity unit was notified immediately. A few weeks tops suspension and maybe a fine.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

Ricky's favorite so either way Jack still gets paid.

IF guilty than sit him out for a bit. Not happy at his pay rate but no advantage to us in sacking him - except I guess we can get an actual fullback.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Didn't Kirisome Auva'a continue to play all the way through until his court appearance for domestic violence? I could be wrong but that is my recollection. Same should apply here for what sounds like a lesser offence?

There are many examples of the league giving players the chance to have their day in court first (if it gets to that in this instance).
raider dos
Terry Campese

Post by raider dos »

Wiki Special wrote: April 5, 2018, 11:07 pm Didn't Kirisome Auva'a continue to play all the way through until his court appearance for domestic violence? I could be wrong but that is my recollection. Same should apply here for what sounds like a lesser offence?

There are many examples of the league giving players the chance to have their day in court first (if it gets to that in this instance).
I thought Semi Radradra played all the way through his. Although his charges were eventually dropped.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Even if no one was injured our killed, the nature of the fight and specifically how he was involved could play a big part. I have absolutely no idea what happened in this case and am not trying to insinuate he is guilty of anything, but the NRL could easily come down hard on someone if they were involved in a king hit style incident. Public backlash would be big if they were lenient on something like that.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

from what i've heard is that he's in a bit of trouble, but no one was hospitalised/seriously hurt. i guess it's a wait and see though.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Bottom line - if Lodge is allowed to play, Wighton would need to have done something pretty outrageous to be rubbed out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

If the nrl get involved and make us sack jack i will be furious

I dont know what he did and i dont know why if it is so bad he is getting charged its taken 3 months to do

But if
1 lodge can play
2 radradra played after he was charged and until they managed to magically get the charges dropped
3 hayne can play with thr case in america
4 pearce can play (monnas was sent packing to the uk)
5 dugan , fergo etc all are playing

And we have to sack jack then greenberg better block me on twitter!

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

-TW- wrote: April 3, 2018, 7:18 pm
I like others knew about it so didn't really care too much
A big fall from grace from the support given to him at the judiciary 2016
Last edited by scotchberry on April 6, 2018, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

cat wrote: April 6, 2018, 12:11 am If the nrl get involved and make us sack jack i will be furious

I dont know what he did and i dont know why if it is so bad he is getting charged its taken 3 months to do

But if
1 lodge can play
2 radradra played after he was charged and until they managed to magically get the charges dropped
3 hayne can play with thr case in america
4 pearce can play (monnas was sent packing to the uk)
5 dugan , fergo etc all are playing

And we have to sack jack then greenberg better block me on twitter!

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Second this 100%.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

To be fair re: Lodge, he did get sacked by the Tigers at the time of the incident, and has only been allowed to play 2 years later, so we aren't the only club that these "redemption stories" happen to.

Also, did Kent actually say the NRL would make us sack him? Or just that they would stand him down and there would be 'pressure' on us to do so? It seems to me as though the option would be there if he was stood down to just keep him around until such time as the NRL decides they will register him again, but I don't know if he's the type of player you hold a spot for with the amount of money he is reportedly on.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

hobbsy wrote:To be fair re: Lodge, he did get sacked by the Tigers at the time of the incident, and has only been allowed to play 2 years later, so we aren't the only club that these "redemption stories" happen to.

Also, did Kent actually say the NRL would make us sack him? Or just that they would stand him down and there would be 'pressure' on us to do so? It seems to me as though the option would be there if he was stood down to just keep him around until such time as the NRL decides they will register him again, but I don't know if he's the type of player you hold a spot for with the amount of money he is reportedly on.
Also, Dugan broke no laws and the raiders sacked him, so why should the nrl intervene?

I’m pretty sure Ferguson served some time away from the game too, probably while he was with us.

And Mitchell Pearce DEFINITELY served 6 weeks, and I thought that was a little harsh, and what he did was in no way, shape or form the same as Joel Monaghan

Raiders fans can be so ridiculous at times, and we genuinely do our club a disservice with our rewriting of history and conspiracy theories
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Paul Kent expects Jack Wighton to be charged over fight, Canberra Raiders could sack him

JACK Wighton missed the Raiders’ win over the Bulldogs amid an off-field storm as police investigate a Canberra fight that the star fullback was allegedly involved in.

“I think very soon charges will be laid and I think things are pretty grim there, I think the NRL will stand him down for the season and the Raiders might end up sacking him,” Kent said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0a516416f7

“(His salary) counts (in the cap) up until he’s been paid,” Kent said.

Jackie boi always gets paid :lol:

No chance he is sacked. If Ricky brought the potential signing of Carney to the board it shows integrity isn't an integral trait, and Wighton is "like a son" in his words.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton in alleged nightclub fight

Post by The Nickman »

Would Kent report that he’s about to be sacked if it wasn’t true though? Paul Kent and Ricky Stuart are good mates, and Kenty isn’t usually far off the mark with his scoops
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

I guess it depends if Ricky's hold over the club may have been compromised by the past year and a half. It could explain the divided team that turned out in Manly last weekend if there is truth to it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton in alleged nightclub fight

Post by The Nickman »

Well I guess we’ll see, but when I heard this rumour before Round 1 the story then was that he wasn’t going to play a game in 2018, so there’s some pretty strong smoke here that what he did is pretty bad
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

I guess I find it hard to believe he'd be selected for 4 matches after the incident and then sacked.

From a purely football basis I think it would be good for the club though. Invested so much in him over the years and outside of 2016 he has been a very inconsistent performer. With the exception of Rapana and Cotric that could be said of our entire squad outside of 2016 though :roflmao
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

I'll be disappointed if we sack him. I think he's a good player just not what we need in a fullback.

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

No way we will sack him IMO, Cotric went ok at fullback but pretty much everything he did well he can and does do from the wing, I don't see Cotric as a better longterm fullback option than Wighton, he's an outside back IMO
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

kiwi raider wrote: April 6, 2018, 8:33 am No way we will sack him IMO, Cotric went ok at fullback but pretty much everything he did well he can and does do from the wing, I don't see Cotric as a better longterm fullback option than Wighton, he's an outside back IMO
I agree. Cotric wasn't tested under a single high ball. Maybe caught out of position a little less often as Wighton.

No point in talking about whether he'll be sacked until details (or the CCTV footage) are released.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

yurithe1 wrote: April 6, 2018, 8:54 am
kiwi raider wrote: April 6, 2018, 8:33 am No way we will sack him IMO, Cotric went ok at fullback but pretty much everything he did well he can and does do from the wing, I don't see Cotric as a better longterm fullback option than Wighton, he's an outside back IMO
I agree. Cotric wasn't tested under a single high ball. Maybe caught out of position a little less often as Wighton.

No point in talking about whether he'll be sacked until details (or the CCTV footage) are released.
100% chaps. I saw plenty of Cotric in the Jr grades. An NRL fullback he is not. You must be a ball player at that level. Cotric was a FB or centre in the juniors. He played FB because of his speed and size. Big kids always rule the playground.

The Elite FB are all ball players - Teddy, Slater, Ponga, Turbo, RTS (better ball runner though), Hayne is/ was, GI is/ was. Then there are the teams trying to get one, Mbye has moved there coz Hoppa cant pass, Lolohea, Coote, Gutherson (once he returns from injury).

Jack was a 5/8 or centre in Jr grades. So he has that ball playing ability. Look at him attack on the sweep play. I'm not sure anyone in the NRL is executing like he is on that play ATM. Anyone that thinks Jack has been a problem for us at all this yr are only seeing what they want to see. He was our best player in the first month, followed by Whitehead and Boyd. He was the only bloke that showed up against Manly.

As for what happens from here... who knows?!?
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

The Nickman wrote: April 6, 2018, 8:09 am Would Kent report that he’s about to be sacked if it wasn’t true though? Paul Kent and Ricky Stuart are good mates, and Kenty isn’t usually far off the mark with his scoops
Kent plays very much with a straight bat - if he says he is gone I’m inclined to believe him
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Getting sacked and redeemed is turning into a legitimate career path for players.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

scotchberry wrote: April 6, 2018, 9:24 am
The Nickman wrote: April 6, 2018, 8:09 am Would Kent report that he’s about to be sacked if it wasn’t true though? Paul Kent and Ricky Stuart are good mates, and Kenty isn’t usually far off the mark with his scoops
Kent plays very much with a straight bat - if he says he is gone I’m inclined to believe him
Or at least he legitimately thinks he's gone. Not just blowing smoke for the sake of it.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

If the NRL put pressure on the raiders (or any other team for that matter) to sack a player, it should come with a guarantee that they will not have a contract registered within X time period (depending on the offence).

I'm sick of us taking the moral high ground and getting screwed over by head office when they allow these blokes to sign for other clubs after a month of counselling or whatever.

There should be a standard approach to sacking players for off field indiscresions. Automatic 12 month ban from the NRL. if you want to come back after 12 months, the team that sacked you has first option on the signing, if they don't want you, or you don't want them, you sit out for another 12 months and then you're a free agent... end of.

At least that way clubs won't be punished for doing the right thing and players will no their are legitimate consequences to their actions
I found a moon rock in my nose....
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If we don't want to sack him but the NRL de-registers him anyway, then we should have to have first rights on his contract if he is registered again. However if he is just banned and we choose to sack him that's bad luck to us.
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

Cotric has had one game at fullback and if Wighton is gone our only backup is Abbey and I'd really rather not go down that road. If Wighton got two years to play fullback I feel like Cotric should get a chance too. He can develop his game and he looks better defensively from what I saw from a positional sense and that's what we need right now.

dreaming09
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sami Sauiluma

Post by dreaming09 »

This might be the issue RS and management are at loggerheads. RS wants to keep Jack and management want him gone.
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Matt wrote: April 6, 2018, 9:19 am

100% chaps. I saw plenty of Cotric in the Jr grades. An NRL fullback he is not. You must be a ball player at that level. Cotric was a FB or centre in the juniors. He played FB because of his speed and size. Big kids always rule the playground.

The Elite FB are all ball players - Teddy, Slater, Ponga, Turbo, RTS (better ball runner though), Hayne is/ was, GI is/ was. Then there are the teams trying to get one, Mbye has moved there coz Hoppa cant pass, Lolohea, Coote, Gutherson (once he returns from injury).

Jack was a 5/8 or centre in Jr grades. So he has that ball playing ability. Look at him attack on the sweep play. I'm not sure anyone in the NRL is executing like he is on that play ATM. Anyone that thinks Jack has been a problem for us at all this yr are only seeing what they want to see. He was our best player in the first month, followed by Whitehead and Boyd. He was the only bloke that showed up against Manly.

Agree he was good in those 4 games, only complaint really is his positioning defending kicks still isn't there.

That said, it's the story of his career. A handful of really solid games flanked by a handful where he goes missing.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 6, 2018, 10:37 am

Agree he was good in those 4 games, only complaint really is his positioning defending kicks still isn't there.

That said, it's the story of his career. A handful of really solid games flanked by a handful where he goes missing.
Is his positional play a result of him not having confidence in the defensive line though? he's usually out of position after making a last ditch cover tackle from what i've seen... Cotric didn't have to worry about that last night which may be why he seemed to be in position more often then not..... it could be down to jack, but just saying that there may be another cause to consider
I found a moon rock in my nose....
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Cotric is 19, has been stuck out of position on the wing (where he can't pass a lot) and has actually shown a great ability in limited opportunities to set up his centre and pass appropriately after a break etc.

After 1 game at fullback, given the aplomb he's done everything else with (remember him dropping a bomb or a grubber as a winger? I don't) and his age you reckon he can't develop, improve or possess a passing game. I reckon you're wrong.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Honestly, for what we are apparently paying Wighton, we could potentially land a very-nearly top tier fullback.

I like the fact that we have a local junior in the team, but we're honestly paying the guy on potential that I doubt he will ever fulfill. I think we're also paying a centre on FB money, which is insane.

Wanna be a bit cold? This is a good opportunity to cut an overpriced and underperforming player.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Dibbers wrote: April 6, 2018, 10:42 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 6, 2018, 10:37 am

Is his positional play a result of him not having confidence in the defensive line though? he's usually out of position after making a last ditch cover tackle from what i've seen... Cotric didn't have to worry about that last night which may be why he seemed to be in position more often then not..... it could be down to jack, but just saying that there may be another cause to consider
I'd say it definitely doesn't help. Cotric really didn't have to help much in the D line whereas in the first few rounds Jack saved our skins multiple times.
It's not all down to that but it's not something we can compare them on at the moment. Cotric had a very easy game defensively and if he's going to provide a big POD between him and jack then that's where it'll need to be in the short term because the fitness (especially) and attack aren't there in the short term.
Going to be great to see how this ends up.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Look, if we can move him on I think it's good for the club. Ricky thinks he's a far better player then he actually is, so it'll clear the decks for a better footballer.

But in a world where Matt Lodge and Russell Packer are allowed to play football, it's ridiculous that he wouldn't be.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.