Stuart blasts 'soft' Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Goobeeful »

Stuart didn't miss when asked what went wrong in the opening 40 minutes.

"Soft. Soft football, soft pieces of play, soft choices and I've probably protected them for too long," he said. "Over the last three weeks I've thought their effort was there. There was no effort in that first half, that wasn't us and it was soft."

"Why should I make changes when they deliver that crap?" Stuart said.

"They should be all owning up to themselves saying, 'I want to play to get myself out of it', because what they dished up tonight, they should be embarrassed to put a Raiders jumper on."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/01/can ... t-raiders/
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Stuart blasts 'soft' Raiders

Post by Green eyed Mick »

This is like letting a 4 year old play unsupervised with crayons and then complaining when the kid draws on the wall.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

When are we going to read an article that reads, Furner blasts ‘dumb’ Coach!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

No Ricky is right.

Every player is delivering **** ATM. Considering 8 forwards are off contract this year, I’d be aiming up
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

This is good. A public blast from the coach might actually produce some positive results. Making excuses and deflecting blame from them sure hasn't worked.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Or they'll all sook and put even less effort in
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: April 1, 2018, 1:09 pm This is good. A public blast from the coach might actually produce some positive results. Making excuses and deflecting blame from them sure hasn't worked.

He should have put a rocket up em after the Titans game.

Put an end to these brainfarts straight away not cuddle them and blame refs or the weather.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: April 1, 2018, 1:12 pm Or they'll all sook and put even less effort in
They can sook in reserve grade.

Show the effort or leave.

How you doing today Tim ? I'm fantastic...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Off contract players having a sook after a blast from the coach will not enhance their market value.

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

All we want is for our players to play to their ability.

If you sign a player you've done homework on him. You've watched video. Seen what he offers and think he'll improve the teams performances under your style of coaching.

That ain't happening at our club. We have overpaid/let's go thru the motions/I won't get dropped blokes running around in green jumpers.

Waiting 3 weeks to blast the players doesn't help either coach. Step on their throats don't cuddle em.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

-PJ- wrote:
-TW- wrote: April 1, 2018, 1:12 pm Or they'll all sook and put even less effort in

Yeah I'm alright, already over the nrl tbh
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: April 1, 2018, 1:36 pm
-PJ- wrote:

I watch the Raiders and that's doin my head in.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Yet we will see the same 17 run out on Thursday against the bulldogs

:nooo :nooo :nooo :nooo :nooo
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Stuarts pissed, good for him... By his own admission he left it too late to do anything... Why would the next time be different?

It also doesn't somehow excuse the use of his bench... If he was that disappointed with it, why not drag people off early, yell at them directly, send them out there to prove they should keep their spot or **** make them earn it back from reserves!

Also the fact he seems to think we played well for 70 out of 80 minutes in our first three games is insane... At best we played well for 40 and the rest of the time was a defensive effort an under 8's team would be embarrassed by!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

-TW- wrote: April 1, 2018, 1:36 pm
-PJ- wrote:

Not me. I am enjoying this season even if the Raiders are stinking up the joint.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Anyone else pickup on the "4 day turn around" rubbish from captain Croker during his interview on the ground.

The excuses are already out of the bag for the Dogs game.

Dooooohr, no Jarrod it's 5 days mate. Have some cement for dinner tonight.
WorkChoice
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

LP Raider wrote:Anyone else pickup on the "4 day turn around" rubbish from captain Croker during his interview on the ground.

Yes.

Just editing this to say that they are obviously not enjoying themselves. They don't know what they're supposed to be doing, and they aren't enjoying it. You see this in workplaces, particularly where there isn't the support to help everyone succeed.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The result this weekend has massive implications. They lose and it proves beyond doubt that Ricky has lost the dressing sheds completely.

Can't possibly concede 30 points a game every week and expect a different result. They lose this week look for Brett White to be sacked as Ricky feels the pressure. Such a stupid decision to put the best attacking coach in the business in as the defensive coach to accommodate essentially a rookie assistant coach.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

reptar wrote: April 1, 2018, 4:15 pm
LP Raider wrote:Anyone else pickup on the "4 day turn around" rubbish from captain Croker during his interview on the ground.

Yes.

Just editing this to say that they are obviously not enjoying themselves. They don't know what they're supposed to be doing, and they aren't enjoying it. You see this in workplaces, particularly where there isn't the support to help everyone succeed.
Yep :thumbsup

It’s like we have 17 1st dayers on the job each game and the boss called in sick
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Has anyone given them the company policy manual to read?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

gergreg wrote: April 1, 2018, 6:14 pm The result this weekend has massive implications. They lose and it proves beyond doubt that Ricky has lost the dressing sheds completely.

Can't possibly concede 30 points a game every week and expect a different result. They lose this week look for Brett White to be sacked as Ricky feels the pressure. Such a stupid decision to put the best attacking coach in the business in as the defensive coach to accommodate essentially a rookie assistant coach.
Have to agree and I'm surprised a little that more hasn't been made out of this.

I'm also getting really annoyed at the shallow media analysis that hinges on the loss of Hodgson etc.

Red Raider has hammered on for years about defense and in particular defensive line speed. Which hinge on discipline and most of all fitness. Clearly we have neither.

Mostly I'm sad that Ricky Stuart, who I once knew vaguely personally, has proven that the conventional tropes are correct - he can't coach a team well beyond his first year, he's always looking for excuses, and he's not taking any responsibility. And I'm sad I didn't take a bet on the spoon. Is it too late?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The raiders were soft. It was appalling stuff, lucky that Manly switched off four a while there.

Even the commentators were into us.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but how long as Nigel Two Dads been around for? Surly it’s time for a change in trainer. It has worked wonders for the Warriors.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Lui_Bon wrote:
gergreg wrote: April 1, 2018, 6:14 pm The result this weekend has massive implications. They lose and it proves beyond doubt that Ricky has lost the dressing sheds completely.

Have to agree and I'm surprised a little that more hasn't been made out of this.

I'm also getting really annoyed at the shallow media analysis that hinges on the loss of Hodgson etc.

Red Raider has hammered on for years about defense and in particular defensive line speed. Which hinge on discipline and most of all fitness. Clearly we have neither.

Mostly I'm sad that Ricky Stuart, who I once knew vaguely personally, has proven that the conventional tropes are correct - he can't coach a team well beyond his first year, he's always looking for excuses, and he's not taking any responsibility. And I'm sad I didn't take a bet on the spoon. Is it too late?
I never want to see the raiders thrashed but if Ricky picks the same side as last week, there will be a big part of me wanting the team to be beaten well again.

Ricky mentioned that the same team deserve to go out again next week and make up for last week. My opinion is that they don’t deserve to be able too, the players should be standing up and dropping themselves this week. The performance they put on lacked effort, lazy, undisciplined (A lot more than usual) and was the most uninterested display from players I have seen in a few years. There was simply no respect for the jersey and us as supporters.

The club needs to be firm here and drop at least 3 to 4 players. Players need to know that performances like last week will not be tolerated at the club.

If we lose against the bulldogs, time to start blooding some of our junior players than evaluating what we have and begin rebuilding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Agree completely.

You don’t pick the same 17 when the problem is motivation. If they had internal motivation they would have played hard this week. Dropping players is the only way forward from here.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Who do you drop and who do your replace them with?
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 2, 2018, 10:39 am Who do you drop and who do your replace them with?
Replace Williams with Austin
Replace Paulo with knight.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

This week? Williams, BJ, Bateman. Bringing in Garvey, Oldfield/Abbey, Knight respectively.

Papalii and Paulo on notice.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Williams - Hingano starting
Bateman - Murchie
Paulo - Knight
Hingano's bench spot - Garvey
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

One of the biggest 'head scratchers' for me is why the hell would you plonk Williams in the defensive line inside Croker? Other sides put their halfback on the wing in defence. Cronk for example. The Raiders plonk their weakest defender into the toughest defensive position on the field.

Is this the right thread?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Very soft...Especially Papalii, he has been phoning it in all year. Not sure what's going on but I'd be happy to see Austin..Sezer..Paulo..Papalii and Bateman all walk at this point in time
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Oh and BJ too...He can walk also
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I have no doubt that Ricky has pasted his players in the past for poor performances. The only difference this time, is he did it publicly. The reason for this is 2 fold. 1stly, he was trying to get away from the gumpy/ yelling coach to a more mellow one. 2ndly, he was trying to get away from the whinge and whine coach too. Both are very obvious come presser time. And be aware, its publicly that matters most in this stuff. He can still tear paint off the walls with a spray.

This has all been for nought, because at the end of the day, he has more Ls than Ws.

Coaching staff:
Brett White is a great bloke, but what are his coaching credentials?

Nigel 2 Dads seems competent. Our injuries are less frequent since he arrived. BUT, we dont look fit, and never have.

Crawley is a 1st class attacking coach. I can see the re-engineering thought process as to filp sides of the ball, but that hasnt worked in a massive way.

So, another fail.

Squad:
We have had virtually no player movement in 3 seasons. Ricky has the team he wants and has done sweet FA with it.

As for drop/ keep this wk, its very very hard. U cant drop all 17. As best i can tell, there arent too many putting their hands up at Mounties either.

The pack got mauled the other night. They were pretty awful. It was Paulos best game, but Boyds worst. Lui still looks our most consistent. Im not really sure we can carry both Bateman and Soliola in 1 team. They are too similar, and we are playing them as tackle monkeys - which didnt work in the weekend. Id be dropping 1 of them for Knight. I think Sia offers more in attack, but Bateman does in defence. Tough call.

I love Whitey, but he is getting too gassed playing lock. He busts his butt, but we lose his ability coz he is too tired to attack. I still believe Papa is an edge player, and probably the best in our side, but I also agrer he looks to be disinterested and despite his better look as far as weight, he doesnt seem fit. Id move him to Lock to push Whitey out wide again. Also means he can have a stint on the bench either side of half-time.

Backs, no changes. They are frustrated, but you would be too with what the middle and halves have dished up.

Halves/ hooker. At least last wk Hingano played 9. This meant Havili got more mins at 9, which is when we have looker out best. Leaving Sammy and Sezer in the halves for 80. People will blame them again this wk, BUT, what could they do? Papa dropped the kickoff, then we didnt touch the ball for nearly 10mins and conceeded 20pts. Its catchup footy at that point. Early in the 2nd half, there was zero direction, which is on them, but Hingano was at 9 for a lot of that and his long passing was god awful. If Ricky did make a change, it would have to be to fit Garvey in. Q is, Hingano, Sezer or Sammy. TBH, none did anything to hold their spot this wk. Hingano and Sammy are contracted for next yr though, should that be any sort of reason.

In short, i dont think there is an easy fix. And i dont think wholesale changes will help either.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hoho! What a huge scalp we have on the Papalii to lock train! The well-respected Matt himself!!

Please take a seat next to Scotchy and make room for more guys. This movement is gaining momentum!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The one thing you missed in your assessment Matt is that we actually defended the set after Paps dropped the ball. Then Sammy Williams drilled it dead from the halfway line and we didn’t see the ball again until manly had put on 24 points.

That’s entirely on the halves, well Williams anyway.

Then when we made our comeback we got back to within twelve, and then Havili drilled it dead, BJ gave that ridiculous penalty (should’ve been sin binned) and Manly went up the other end and scored. Game over.

Both from poor kicks putting the ball dead. Can’t believe our team STILL doesn’t know you just can’t do that.