Bulldogs 1-12
33%
Bulldogs 13+
26%

Total votes: 27

edwahu

Re: 2018 Rd 5 V Bulldogs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by edwahu »

Hazza wrote: April 4, 2018, 10:02 am a lot of in depth analysis on this thread. It really is very simple though. If Hodgo's fit we're 3 from 4. We're a poor side without him and will continue to be until he returns.
That's a big call, we self destructed plenty of times last year as well.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I agree with that Edwahu. Even with Hodgo we're still miles off the pace of where we need to be, not even a top 8 side let alone a contender. You have to look at who we've played as well Hazza, it's all uphill from here.

edit: Well maybe after the next fortnight it's all uphill.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
T_R
Don Furner

Re: 2018 Rd 5 V Bulldogs: Teams and Previews

Post by T_R »

Green Taipan wrote:
T_R wrote: April 3, 2018, 7:24 pm
Green Taipan wrote:Anyone know where to watch NRL (maybe even the Raiders) in Cebu City. I've been here a few times but never found a spot.
Believe it or not, TGI Fridays at the Ayala Centre plays some games. Worst possible viewing environment, but an option of last resort.
Thks T_R. I found a bar last night called Howling Dogs near Mango Sq that has Setanta and assured me they will have the Raider's game on. They had Super League on while I was there so I'm confident that the game will be on but not the Raider's winning :nooo
Brilliant! I can never find a reliable place.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Hazza wrote:a lot of in depth analysis on this thread. It really is very simple though. If Hodgo's fit we're 3 from 4. We're a poor side without him and will continue to be until he returns.
I don't know about 3 from 4. 1 from 4 maybe. 2 from 4 even. But Hodgson isn't going to fix our God awful line speed or missed tackles. Also, the reason, in my opinion, he had a bit of an average year last year is because he has to do way too much to compensate for our awful halves which is going to lead to mistakes from too much pressure.

We do miss Hodgson but we still have so many other problems to fix

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

edwahu wrote: April 4, 2018, 10:08 am
Hazza wrote: April 4, 2018, 10:02 am a lot of in depth analysis on this thread. It really is very simple though. If Hodgo's fit we're 3 from 4. We're a poor side without him and will continue to be until he returns.
That's a big call, we self destructed plenty of times last year as well.
Yeah yeah don't get me wrong we're probably not a top 8 side with him there either and may have still lost 1 of those 3 but I think we have at least 2 wins. Him being fit would solve so many of our problems, we wouldn't have this ridiculous 3 halves thing for a start. All these last min losses had to have an effect mentally somewhere along the line and the result was what we saw at Brookie the other night.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Woodgers wrote: April 4, 2018, 10:13 am I agree with that Edwahu. Even with Hodgo we're still miles off the pace of where we need to be, not even a top 8 side let alone a contender. You have to look at who we've played as well Hazza, it's all uphill from here.

edit: Well maybe after the next fortnight it's all uphill.
For sure mate I agree. Not suggesting we'd steam in to the top 4 if Hodgo was there. But soon as he did his knee in the World Cup I was resigned to anything other then a bottom 4 finish being a pleasant surprise.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Johno wrote: April 4, 2018, 9:36 am
InFernos_Raiders wrote: April 4, 2018, 6:54 am Why do I keep reading or hearing that Sezer is off to Bulldogs.
Austin is off to Souths.
Farah is to come to Raiders (no, that’ll do me if Stuart brings Farah over)
This 4 way deal which includes Toleman going to Bulldogs.
Shouldn't be too much of a taxi fare then
Farah coming to the Raiders, and Sezer leaving has been categorically denied by the Raiders.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

We are in the position we are in because the players and their mindset, attitude and mental fortitude both individually and collectively.

Certain players are lacking fitness..... Because they went on a world cup party and are still paying for that.

Other players are in a state of self pity and indignant self righteousness because they think they're worth more money than has been offered.

Other players are having a real go but are lacking because the rest of the team isn't cohesive. Certain players look better when the team is firing..... Because that suits their style.

And you've got Ricky trying to put it together and not doing a very good job of it
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

how do you explain 2017?
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

magoo wrote: April 4, 2018, 11:57 am
how do you explain 2017?
Well gee I didn't think we ran last last year did we? Could happen this year
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hazza wrote: April 4, 2018, 12:03 pm
how do you explain 2017?
We shouldn't have finished where we did though, it was absolutely unacceptable as a season. Giving it a pass mark because we "didn't finish last" is awful stuff
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

The Nickman wrote: April 4, 2018, 12:06 pm
Hazza wrote: April 4, 2018, 12:03 pm
how do you explain 2017?
We shouldn't have finished where we did though, it was absolutely unacceptable as a season. Giving it a pass mark because we "didn't finish last" is awful stuff
Where'd I give it a pass mark big fella? Never once did I say last year was good enough
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Just re-read the conversation, your response to magoo was completely dismissal of how bad we were even WITH Hodgson because we didn't come last.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Think you’re verballing him here Nickman. His point is just that we appear to be headed on a worse trajectory this season without Hodgson, than with him last season. Not saying either is acceptable.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Obviously didn't articulate my initial point well enough. We're at least a chance of making the 8 with J.Hodgson in the side. We're none without him. Stuart can do what he wants with the side and we can say whatever we want but it ain't happening this year. Last year was a debacle. Obviously.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I honestly believe Hodgson being injured just gives Stuart the excuse he's always wanted. We wouldn't have done much better this season even with him in the side, the deterioration of the whole squad is consistent from last season.

How long do we give Stuart before he trots out the "you can't win without your best player" line. It's coming, we all know it is.
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Post by MS_1302 »

I reckon (IMO) Hodgo adds about 4 points per game in prescense, he had some brain snaps last year like kicking dead on the second in their 20, which he needs to get rid of.

He could have been the difference in those opening couple of games - but agree with our without him we are way off being contenders
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Nick no one is excusing Ricky.

No one.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: April 4, 2018, 2:04 pm Nick no one is excusing Ricky.

No one.
Not anymore they're not.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: April 4, 2018, 2:17 pm

No one.
Not anymore they're not.
I am
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:

No one.
Not anymore they're not.
I am
Haha at risk of a massive dubby here, you’re not either! There’s almost no one to a man still defending Stuart as coach, that’s what’s changed in the last four weeks
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: April 4, 2018, 3:17 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

No one.
Not anymore they're not.
I am
Haha at risk of a massive dubby here, you’re not either! There’s almost no one to a man still defending Stuart as coach, that’s what’s changed in the last four weeks
Yeah, you’re right. I’m not. :opps

Even if I wanted to play devils advocate I’d struggle to mount any sort of compelling argument. I’ve never been a “blame the coach” type of person as I always thought it an overly simplistic solution to more complex issues. Not in this case unfortunately. Sticky has been solely in charge of our club’s on field department for 5 years now. Outside the sugar hit of 2016 it’s been an abject failure. In this scenario you can’t point the finger anywhere but at the coach as he’s been the man responsible.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: April 4, 2018, 3:46 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 4, 2018, 3:17 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

No one.
Not anymore they're not.
I am
Yeah, you’re right. I’m not. :opps

Even if I wanted to play devils advocate I’d struggle to mount any sort of compelling argument. I’ve never been a “blame the coach” type of person as I always thought it an overly simplistic solution to more complex issues. Not in this case unfortunately. Sticky has been solely in charge of our club’s on field department for 5 years now. Outside the sugar hit of 2016 it’s been an abject failure. In this scenario you can’t point the finger anywhere but at the coach as he’s been the man responsible.
Ultimately it starts and finishes with him. He picked the players he wanted and hired/ fired them as required. He setup a game plan. He then selected the 17. He has now had basically the same squad for 3 seasons. 1 very good. 1 bad, and now this mess. The only thing he cant control is the 17 players physical execution/ performance on game day, but he is supposed to sort out the mental stuff.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Tigers have won 3 games and probably should have had a draw against the Broncos and they're running around with **** McIllwrick at hooker and IMO an inferior squad to ours. I honestly think the side we have is capable of making the 8 even without Hodgson. It's pretty clear now that the whole **** Raiders organisation resigned themselves to defeat as soon as he got injured. It is infuriatingly unprofessional and Stuart needs to swallow his pride and concede some sort of responsibility for this and if he cannot fix it he needs to find somebody who can or bugger off.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Re: 2018 Rd 5 V Bulldogs: Teams and Previews

Post by Green Taipan »

T_R wrote: April 4, 2018, 10:17 am
Green Taipan wrote:
T_R wrote: April 3, 2018, 7:24 pm
Green Taipan wrote:Anyone know where to watch NRL (maybe even the Raiders) in Cebu City. I've been here a few times but never found a spot.
Believe it or not, TGI Fridays at the Ayala Centre plays some games. Worst possible viewing environment, but an option of last resort.
Thks T_R. I found a bar last night called Howling Dogs near Mango Sq that has Setanta and assured me they will have the Raider's game on. They had Super League on while I was there so I'm confident that the game will be on but not the Raider's winning :nooo
Brilliant! I can never find a reliable place.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The address of Howling Dogs is in Juana Osmena St, next road to the right after Mango Sq (going up the hill).
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker says no one's position is safe

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker says that Ricky Stuart's decision to drop Josh Papalii proves nobody's place in the side was safe if they underperformed.

"It's disappointing it's come to that after four rounds, but we talk about making decisions for the team and putting the team first and unfortunately for Josh, that's the way it is this week," Croker said. "It was the same for Blake (Austin) last week and both of those guys have handled it really well.

Read more and video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/04 ... nal-word2/

Five Things: Raiders v Bulldogs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/04 ... -bulldogs/

NRL Match Preview Raiders v Bulldogs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/04 ... -bulldogs/

Gallery: Rd 5 Captain's Run: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/04 ... tains-run/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m with you NR, I rarely support sacking the coach. I think people are commonly too quick to react to negatives and do the easy kill the coach. In this case I think it’s justified though. Repeating the same mistakes which seem quite clear to the majority of supporters.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Tell me again how well Blake and Josh took being dropped?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders monster pack getting monstered

They're the biggest pack in the NRL, but they're struggling to make an impact and need to bounce back from a monstering.

"We've done a lot of talking over the last couple of weeks - it's time to start actioning it," captain Jarrod Croker said. "We keep coming back to the word attitude. It's got to be 1000 times better [Thursday] night and I'm sure it will be. We're all underperforming there's no denying that. We're 0-4 so there's pressure on every player, every coach and every staff member.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0yarx.html
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Biggest pack of what?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote: April 4, 2018, 4:48 pm Biggest pack of what?
Excellent question. I'm sure they can talk about it, and then action it.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Having Hodgson in the team would definately help but he is not the answer to all of the problems.
Our 6 and 7 (any of them) lack the finesse thats needed to guide a team to the top. IMO that includes our wonderful 2016 season, which was more due to individual brilliance and career best form.
We need to have a garage sale ofour players and then go shopping for a quality half.Just who that is I dont know.
It will be painful for us fans to lose some of our favorite players but so be it, it also gives us the oppurtunity to gain new favorites. when we lost Fenno and Vaughn it hurt,but thats the way of the modern game. Who goes and who stays is the big dilemma and nobody will 100% agree with the next fans opinion but a large majority of us can all agree Ricky needs to step aside orleave altogether.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

magoo wrote: April 4, 2018, 5:01 pm Having Hodgson in the team would definately help but he is not the answer to all of the problems.
Our 6 and 7 (any of them) lack the finesse thats needed to guide a team to the top. IMO that includes our wonderful 2016 season, which was more due to individual brilliance and career best form.
We need to have a garage sale ofour players and then go shopping for a quality half.Just who that is I dont know.
It will be painful for us fans to lose some of our favorite players but so be it, it also gives us the oppurtunity to gain new favorites. when we lost Fenno and Vaughn it hurt,but thats the way of the modern game. Who goes and who stays is the big dilemma and nobody will 100% agree with the next fans opinion but a large majority of us can all agree Ricky needs to step aside orleave altogether.
You're crazy magoo, we don't need a garbage sale of our players at all, we just need a new coach! One who can get the best out of his squad and players.

You can't just rule a line through a bunch of guys who almost made the grand final two years ago and decide "yeah, they're just not good players anymore"... you need to ask yourself why! What's happened to make all of these players regress so heavily, and what can be done to get them all fit and firing and enjoying their football again??

And it starts with the bloke at the top. You can either sack everyone and start again, or sack one guy and see if the new guy can do anything with what's left.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Nickman's obsession with Ricky hilarious
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The Nickman wrote: April 4, 2018, 1:08 pm I honestly believe Hodgson being injured just gives Stuart the excuse he's always wanted. We wouldn't have done much better this season even with him in the side, the deterioration of the whole squad is consistent from last season.

How long do we give Stuart before he trots out the "you can't win without your best player" line. It's coming, we all know it is.
I'm not making excuses but Storm would struggle without Cam Smith...