All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by myanonymoususername »

Johno wrote: August 28, 2018, 2:41 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 28, 2018, 7:19 am
Coastalraider wrote: August 27, 2018, 8:32 pm I heard Blake on TripleM this Sunday, and he admitted that the last 2 weeks performances were heavily down to having no pressure on them due to our season being over. He said the pressure of fighting for the finals gets to you, and that tightens up your game.

We all saw this, but is interesting to hear from one of our worst performing players.

And also interesting to hear it after Sticky insists it isn’t a mental problem.
Ennis ripped these comments on Big League Wrap. Basically said the top players embrace pressure and that's why Blake isn't going to be playing NRL next year :roflmao
Pertinent comments by Ennis.

Cop out comments by Austin.
Cop out = the Raiders' way.
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 2, 2018, 8:54 am Lets all fast forward to this time in 12 months.

Obviously next year if we make the finals in any fashion, even if its limping in there after a spluttering season; we all know everyone at Raiders HQ will be doing cartwheels, patting themselves on the back and Stuart will be safe as houses. There will probably be a a few faces being shoved into it too.

But what the hell happens if we again miss the finals? What if he misses 3 finals in a row and makes it 1/6?

Will it hit breaking point and his position becomes untenable? We all kind of had the attitude that this year there would be no excuse for failure and nowhere for Ricky to hide if he failed. Turns out we were all wrong and there were excuses aplenty and many places to seek refuge. Apart from a week of tentative scrutiny, its been mostly silence. These last 3 weeks seem to have vindicated him somehow if anything. :lol:

Strange, but sadly familiar times in Raiderland.
Yeah...
He's in with the top dogs man with a team that is good enough for top four. He's not going to win a prem. They are going to keep having close losses because he tells them they are chokers and it becomes a self-forfilling prophecy.

I think i've heard him blame himself once for a loss and that was for not dropping players / staying loyal. There are a heap of games where we got beat at the death through a missed tackle from a prop who he hadn't replaced for like 35 minutes. He kept Sia on for 60 minutes this year and didnt play one of his other props.
I'm sure he'll find someone to blame for the past two years other than admit his role in it. No one outside of this forum and Mark Riddle talks about it. He'll stay for his contract
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

No one outside of this forum and Mark Riddle talks about it. He'll stay for his contract
Correct. The average NRL fan on the street and indeed many people who refer to themselves as Raiders fans are completely oblivious to the coach's record. About a month ago I took a screenshot on my phone of a post in here outlining Ricky's coaching results over the last decade and i've shown it to multiple people since then and the common reaction is surprise. People are completely unaware how poor the record is, especially Raiders fans. That 2016 season has completely bluffed most people into the broader story of his time coaching the Raiders.

If we make the finals in any manner next season, he'll stay on even longer. I think that's what we have to look forward to, the odd finals appearance every so often to keep the coach hanging onto his job by a thread for the next decade. It's totally depressing.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Is Ricky STILL here???
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Woodgers wrote: September 3, 2018, 1:01 pm
No one outside of this forum and Mark Riddle talks about it. He'll stay for his contract
Correct. The average NRL fan on the street and indeed many people who refer to themselves as Raiders fans are completely oblivious to the coach's record. About a month ago I took a screenshot on my phone of a post in here outlining Ricky's coaching results over the last decade and i've shown it to multiple people since then and the common reaction is surprise. People are completely unaware how poor the record is, especially Raiders fans. That 2016 season has completely bluffed most people into the broader story of his time coaching the Raiders.

If we make the finals in any manner next season, he'll stay on even longer. I think that's what we have to look forward to, the odd finals appearance every so often to keep the coach hanging onto his job by a thread for the next decade. It's totally depressing.
Sticky's first 3 years as a coach we're as good a start as anybody ever has. 1 premiership and 2 other GF appearances.

Since then it's 12 years for 2 finals appearances.
Can't imagine too many worse than that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Woodgers wrote: September 3, 2018, 1:01 pm

Im happy my bar graph came in handy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I showed it to my dad and even he was surpised
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

I'm guessing this has been posted previously noting the date but, just going to leave this here...

Ricky Stuart's coaching career: Has it been a success?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

His sides panic and make basic errors. Who knows if it's a personnel issue, a motivational issue or a structural issue.

What we do know is he has done nothing tangible to address it or if he has it hasn't worked. That's why I am expecting a bottom 4 finish next year.

I think our only chance next year is if we have break out seasons from Guler, Sutton and Bateman.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Supershamrock wrote: September 3, 2018, 5:16 pm I'm guessing this has been posted previously noting the date but, just going to leave this here...

The reality is, by hook or by crook, he's got a premiership ring as a coach. Most never achieve that.
So his coaching career is a success. That's the goal, to coach your team to a premiership, he's done that. People can debate the merits of all they like but they cant take it away from him.
He'll retire as a premiership winning coach. That's set in stone.

But i dont care about his coaching career, i care about his raiders coaching career. Hard to imagine his Raiders coaching career is viewed as anything but a complete and total failure at this point, he's going to get a few more years to try and rectify that, but... it is what it is right now. Even Brew's lost hope in this guy to deliver us a premiership
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Pigman wrote: August 29, 2018, 9:21 pm
zim wrote: August 29, 2018, 9:12 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Can't think of any other examples of him calling in outside help in the last 5 years. Gets back to the original point of Sticky believing he knows the problem and how to fix it..... even though it remains broken.
He hasn't said that this year.
Belcher was also at preseason for a few days with the fullbacks.

I think we need to move on and get a new coach. He's definitely made some decisions that I thought were stupid... but hey who cares. Let's just continue the meme that Stuart would rather cut off his nose to spite his face for years in some conspiratorial power play instead of doing what he thinks is best to help the club succeed.
Its not really a meme, haha. Memes are something different to a troupe. But that's beside the point...Are you saying its inaccurate to suggest Stuart is a micro-manager, and that he doesnt believe he has all the answers and can solve all the problems?
I'm imagining jugglers? Jesters with yoyos? Though they too would be asking the questions you do...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

His record post Brad Fittler, prior to his arrival here spoke for itself. None of this is any great surprise.

What is a surprise though is how diabolically horrible our defence has been over a large part of the past 5 seasons. That's something I didn't expect from a Ricky Stuart team. It predominately stems back to attitude of course.

Anyway, that's by far been the most disappointing and surprising thing for me.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

Pigman wrote: September 3, 2018, 8:28 pm
Supershamrock wrote: September 3, 2018, 5:16 pm I'm guessing this has been posted previously noting the date but, just going to leave this here...

The reality is, by hook or by crook, he's got a premiership ring as a coach. Most never achieve that.
So his coaching career is a success. That's the goal, to coach your team to a premiership, he's done that. People can debate the merits of all they like but they cant take it away from him.

But i dont care about his coaching career, i care about his raiders coaching career. Hard to imagine his Raiders coaching career is viewed as anything but a complete and total failure at this point, he's going to get a few more years to try and rectify that, but... it is what it is right now. Even Brew's lost hope in this guy to deliver us a premiership
I agree and thought there was merit with his heralded arrival. Noting I was one of the 'give ricky a chance' advocates stating he had showed some capability of learning from his mistakes (slightly different apprach to a clean out between Parra and here) and growing as a coach. Boy oh boy, this is one of the easiest times in my life I can admit I was wrong, completely.

Continued baffling wizardry with the interchange, selection and use (or lack of use) of personnel and inability to appropriately motivate and lead a prefessional NRL team. Wow.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Pigman wrote: September 3, 2018, 8:28 pm

In the interest of debate. I'd disagree that it's complete and total failure, going on the assumption that you don't just mean he hasn't won a premiership.
My summation of his time as coach of the Raiders would be that he has failed to take advantage of the opportunity he presented for himself.
Like Brew, I don't think he can win a comp either.
If he walked away this off-season, he would be leaving the club in a good position for his successor. Much, much better than he inherited.

Ricky Stuart as Raiders coach: Raising hopes, and disappointing them.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If he left now... sure you might be right...
he wont though, he'll leave in 2-3 years time and im tipping the mess that will be left will be pretty significant
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Coastalraider wrote: September 3, 2018, 3:18 pm Is Ricky STILL here???
Yes he is. We change our coaches as often as Poms have a bath. The Board have a set and forget policy. Results don't appear to matter much. When will we get an activist Board which demand success or move on non performing coaches? The extension of Stickys contract was baffling at the time. Which other club was knocking down the door to get him?