Ricky Stuart coaching

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote: August 19, 2018, 7:20 pm Haha you're comparing a knock, a run of the mill error on with an instance of poor decision making? Honestly. **** sake Dubby! Haha

Austin's kick was not a one off error, it was a man who has a history of poor decision making on the football field, making yet another catastrophic decision and costing his team dearly.

Either Stuart doesnt coach him up on his decision making, or he does and it's just not effective, or he does and it's not effective and he's not willing to do a **** thing about.
Either way, that's on the coach.
At least it was only one ridiculously poor decision this week. Last week he had passion fingers, absolutely **** everything he touched. I wish he had played most of the year at the Mounties with anybody replacing him. I couldn't care less who.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

-PJ- wrote:We are not sacking Ricky today..

Dudes a genius.
I am PJ, his smugness and arrogance in the presser should be enough to keep the fire going for us fans.

#sackricky

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

LastRaider wrote: August 20, 2018, 7:59 am
-PJ- wrote:We are not sacking Ricky today..

Dudes a genius.
I am PJ, his smugness and arrogance in the presser should be enough to keep the fire going for us fans.

#sackricky

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I posted that yesterday after the win..

We can sack him today..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Credit where it's due. Yesterday we looked like a well coached team......finally. Can it be sustained? I have my doubts but happy to be proved wrong.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wonder how much the RSF day played in getting the guys up

The last few years that game has been our best or one of our best games of the year
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: August 20, 2018, 2:28 pm I wonder how much the RSF day played in getting the guys up

The last few years that game has been our best or one of our best games of the year
If that's all it takes then let's get the RSF/Austism wellbeing put on the jerseys permanently.

It doesn't have to take up the majority of the space but enough to keep our sponsor happy.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Heard a rumour on Brisbane radio today (not sure what channel, was in my mates car), that Trent Barrett will join Raiders as Assistant Coach next year under Ricky, then in 2020 Barrett will take over and Stuart will take up a management role.
Not sure if it’s been reported here already, but I’d be pretty for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes, it's been reported... Mark Levy is the source of the story on Twitter last week. The Raiders have very strongly denied it...
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Pigman wrote: August 19, 2018, 7:20 pm
Either Stuart doesnt coach him up on his decision making, or he does and it's just not effective, or he does and it's not effective and he's not willing to do a **** thing about.
Either way, that's on the coach.
100 **** percent

Stuart on the podcast said he’ll a good look at what is going wrong in the off season and they need to figure it out and fix it... NO
As a Coach you’re meant to know what it is, and fix it immediately. Make mass changes mid season if you have to. It’s unnacceptable that you just plod along losing and fix it after we’re out of the finals.
It’s been 2 years of the same ****, if he doesn’t know what the problem is then leave.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Levy has also backed away from it saying he got dud info
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Turns out it was the Manly coach... the Manly assistant coach.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

Northern Raider wrote: August 20, 2018, 2:22 pm Credit where it's due. Yesterday we looked like a well coached team......finally. Can it be sustained? I have my doubts but happy to be proved wrong.
well coached team with nothing to play for and all pressure off, surprise surprise we got a result when it means **** all!.

It's the coaches job, week in week out, to iron out specific player shortcomings, get the team up for every game, think strategically on game management and out maneuver his opponent in the lead up and on game day.... to name but a few.

I posted on this roughly mid-season and in reflection have to say that I am now even more disappointed than I was then. I ranted about it being on Ricky to address the issues and manage the side, but like you above I said I was happy to be proven wrong.

Sad to say I now have lost all respect for Ricky as a coach, foisting off losses on injury woes and blah blah blah. Nut up, take responsibility and fix the obvious or **** off and let someone else have a shot. Can't be worse than 1 visit to the finals in 5 years!

Vent not aimed at you NR, just fed up with the ham fisted **** show this club has been in recent memory.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Manly assistant coach. Wow, everyone likes John Cartwright, but as a Coach he is in a 'win drought' running mid 40's% success rate. Other than being a mate of everyone, including Sticky, what success qualification/record does he bring to the Raiders. Is this what Sticky meant by 'man management'? Loved by all. Go for a successful track record or go with mediocrity .. The Club needs success and jobs for mates will not bring it.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Supershamrock wrote: August 20, 2018, 5:48 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 20, 2018, 2:22 pm Credit where it's due. Yesterday we looked like a well coached team......finally. Can it be sustained? I have my doubts but happy to be proved wrong.
well coached team with nothing to play for and all pressure off, surprise surprise we got a result when it means **** all!.

100%.

Yes it's a good win, but when there is literally zero pressure it means very little. We were no chance of the spoon and no chance of the 8.. When there has been something on the line this side has crumbled 95% of the time..

Don't sit at a press conference telling me "We're not far off" when we are sitting a mile from the 8 and still have the same defensive issues as when you joined the club.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

RedRaider wrote:Manly assistant coach. Wow, everyone likes John Cartwright, but as a Coach he is in a 'win drought' running mid 40's% success rate. Other than being a mate of everyone, including Sticky, what success qualification/record does he bring to the Raiders. Is this what Sticky meant by 'man management'? Loved by all. Go for a successful track record or go with mediocrity .. The Club needs success and jobs for mates will not bring it.

I’m not saying that Cartwright is a good option but plenty of clubs opt to have an assistant on staff who has experience as a head coach. We have not gone down that path and perhaps it is time we do.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Yea i’ve Got no problems with us going for an experienced assistant, hopefully
It’s someone that Ricky will actually listen too and give a bit
Of responsibility too because it’s obvious he doesn’t have all the answers to get this first grade team firing
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If we have to keep Ricky next year, and I’m not expecting we won’t. We need the best and smartest assistant coaches to do the actual coaching of the team.
I don’t think that’s Cartwright
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Somehow, I don't think so either. He was the assistant coach at the Cowboys when they won the premiership. So was David Furner. I suspect that had more to do with the Cowboys having Johnathan Thurston, Jason Taumalolo etc than the assistant coaches.

Perhaps Cartwright is a defensive coaching guru... and we just don't know it. But a defensive coaching guru is certainly what is needed.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Was watching the Manly/Titans game - my wife said, What's this rumour that the Manly coach is coming to Canberra? Their defense is awful. I said, Yeah, the rumour is their Defence Coach...

Only in Canberra.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Take a look at all of the greatest coaches throughout the history of the NRL and every single one had a team with at least 2 or 3 superstars. A good good coach is important but great players are more important
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

-TW- wrote: August 19, 2018, 7:24 pm
dubby wrote:
-TW- wrote: August 18, 2018, 7:54 am Lazo rang up and sprayed Piggy Riddell for his comments, saying he was doing a good job and it was the players fault they make bad decisions

Spare me
So you blame Ricky for Austin making that kick today??
Coaches are paid to get players attitudes right

It's pretty simple
Yep attitude reflects leadership.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Ilanraiders wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:59 am
-TW- wrote: August 19, 2018, 7:24 pm
dubby wrote:
-TW- wrote: August 18, 2018, 7:54 am Lazo rang up and sprayed Piggy Riddell for his comments, saying he was doing a good job and it was the players fault they make bad decisions

Spare me
So you blame Ricky for Austin making that kick today??
Coaches are paid to get players attitudes right

It's pretty simple
Yep attitude reflects leadership.
Strong leadership promotes accountability and the underlings fear repurcussions and learn to gauge what is accepted in terms of risk and reward
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I agree with the comments.

I don't agree that Austin's kick was poor attitude. It was a brain snap. More a reflection of his own mindset, the person he is than the coaching talent of Ricky.

We all make mistakes at work. So the blame is on our manager?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

dubby wrote: August 21, 2018, 7:17 am I agree with the comments.

I don't agree that Austin's kick was poor attitude. It was a brain snap. More a reflection of his own mindset, the person he is than the coaching talent of Ricky.

The difference is when we make mistake at work it affects our manager, as they need to report on their sections performance to their own manager or the CEO. So naturally if they are a good manager they will address the mistakes and make sure they arent made again.

In the Raiders case though it seems as though the manager isn't under any form of pressure no matter how badly his team performs.
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

dubby wrote: August 21, 2018, 7:17 am I agree with the comments.

If i make a mistake at work my boss lets me know all about it and makes it clear what is acceptable and what is not.

We all make mistakes, and often it takes a mistake for people to learn. If one of my staff makes the same mistake on a weekly basis without learning from it, that person is flipping burgers at maccas, and i'm looking for a new staff member...reason being is that i am held respinsible for the actions of my team

The raiders allow the same mistakes, from the same people on a weekly basis with no accountability or ownership. This is culture, and not a good culture.
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

If Austin had actually grubbered it instead of kicking it straight into the Rooster's hands then there was a pretty good chance we score.

It was a tad early in the count though.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

hrundi89 wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:49 pm If Austin had actually grubbered it instead of kicking it straight into the Rooster's hands then there was a pretty good chance we score.

I thought the kick was flying off the boot, I think it would've gone over the deadball before anyone got near it.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

edwahu wrote: August 21, 2018, 3:11 pm
hrundi89 wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:49 pm If Austin had actually grubbered it instead of kicking it straight into the Rooster's hands then there was a pretty good chance we score.

I thought the kick was flying off the boot, I think it would've gone over the deadball before anyone got near it.
Yup it was a leadfooted effort reminiscent of when Wighton played 6 and thought kicking it dead meant a dropout.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: August 21, 2018, 7:17 am We all make mistakes at work. So the blame is on our manager?
For one mistake?
No.

For repeating the same sort of errors over, and over, and over and over again?
Absolutely. If you are making the same **** up every Friday at work, you manager either needs to manage that behavior so you stop **** up, or if he's unable to do that due to your shortcoming, he should remove you from the role. Stuart has dont neither.

So now what? Well Stuart's boss, should be looking at a manager who is consistently unable to manage his staff, correct behavior, and appears to do nothing in the face of the same predictable screw ups damaging the teams performance. So that manager should be removed.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Well yes if he'd grubbered it with the right weight...too high and too hard.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

hrundi89 wrote: August 21, 2018, 4:29 pm

Well yes if he'd grubbered it with the right weight...too high and too hard.
Austin is a defensive plodder with a selfish attitude in attack, could easily get a highlights reel and equally a horror reel.

But by his terrible play he influences those around him into changing their defensive structure and puts the opposition on the front foot.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

RTW wrote: August 20, 2018, 8:58 pm
RedRaider wrote:Manly assistant coach. Wow, everyone likes John Cartwright, but as a Coach he is in a 'win drought' running mid 40's% success rate. Other than being a mate of everyone, including Sticky, what success qualification/record does he bring to the Raiders. Is this what Sticky meant by 'man management'? Loved by all. Go for a successful track record or go with mediocrity .. The Club needs success and jobs for mates will not bring it.

I’m not saying that Cartwright is a good option but plenty of clubs opt to have an assistant on staff who has experience as a head coach. We have not gone down that path and perhaps it is time we do.
RTW, While I am the first to admit that David Furner has done well in the Assistant Coaches role, I don't recall recent, consistent success coming Cartwright's way. It is probably just a rumour about Cartwright anyway. Success in my view is a person with a better than 50% win ratio.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

RedRaider wrote:
RTW wrote: August 20, 2018, 8:58 pm

RTW, While I am the first to admit that David Furner has done well in the Assistant Coaches role, I don't recall recent, consistent success coming Cartwright's way. It is probably just a rumour about Cartwright anyway. Success in my view is a person with a better than 50% win ratio.

It is hard to judge an assistant coach simply on a win ratio in my opinion. I have no idea what Cartwrights role in his current or previous jobs is. To be honest it is pretty hard to find an area where Manly have been good this year but if you look at our own assistants and take Crawley (when he was the attacking coach) you could easily make an argument for him being a successful assistant coach with a poor win %.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Can you really credit crawley for our attack?

the majority of it is individual brilliance

When it comes down to structured attack close to the line they look pretty clueless at times
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Fair point RTW. I was thinking more along the lines of the Assistant coaches at the Storm and Chooks who look after the defensive structures of those sides. The Raiders are the best attacking side in the comp and the Chooks kept us to one try in the match. We took the penalty points on offer when they came and it got us home. It was easily our defensive high point of the season. Will it happen again this week?

We have shown no consistency. This week we see the 2 best attacking sides in the comp head to head. It is a shame about Tapine because with him on our right with Rapa and BJ we look strong with the ball.