Ricky Stuart coaching

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by gangrenous »

Schifty wrote: Overall he has had a better roster, better luck with injuries and much more beyond the scenes investment.
Credit where it’s due, don’t think the better run with injuries is luck.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Schifty wrote:As it stands we are super good chance of making the finals once in five years under Stuart.

Even Furner had a better record than that. In fact we were actually in the 8 heading into the last seven or so games before Milford left , Fergo didn't show up for a match in favour of Parmis with Carney and we proceeded to completely fall apart.

Overall he has had a better roster, better luck with injuries and much more beyond the scenes investment.

If Hingano hasn't been training in the halves that is downright embarrassment as pretty much the only advantage of having a half on the bench as a reserve hooker is that he can slot into the halves of the number 6 or 7 get injured!
It is telling that Furner has a better finals record that Stick
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote:
Schifty wrote: Overall he has had a better roster, better luck with injuries and much more beyond the scenes investment.
Credit where it’s due, don’t think the better run with injuries is luck.
Part of it is, part of it is being given more resources and support staff.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Sack Ricky

Post by EVH »

We fired the CEO’s brother, we shouldn’t have any problem firing Ricky Stuart. If there has been something that has eased my disappointment in this years losses, it is that if we don’t make the 8 there will be insurmountable pressure on Ricky from the very least, the media. Would love to see favourite son Maguire back in the green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

The thing is, the club will see that we are doing ok cause we barley get absolutely flogged these days, we are competitive in the majority of games, we are just a dumb frustrating team.
There were some really bad thrashing’s that Furner had that Sticky probably hasn’t had since his first year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

EVH wrote:We fired the CEO’s brother, we shouldn’t have any problem firing Ricky Stuart. If there has been something that has eased my disappointment in this years losses, it is that if we don’t make the 8 there will be insurmountable pressure on Ricky from the very least, the media. Would love to see favourite son Maguire back in the green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If a new coach comes in I would love to see someone without links to the Raiders like Toovey. Unless it’s Bellamy of course.

In Ricky We Trust
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

What do we think of Laurie Daley as coach?

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think i'd like not to spend years disparaging a third hero from my youth. I had fond memories of Dave and Stick, Stick in particular was my childhood hero. I hate how much he annoys me
I loved Dave...

hopefully in time the pair of them will settle back in the Mal role of forgetting how terrible they were as coaches and my thoughts will be entirely about what tremendous footballers they were and what they contributed to this team as players

I could do with a break from that dance. I'd love not to have to wrestle with my thoughts on Laurie Daley

Also, we've gone to the former player well too many times now. Can we just get a new face, fresh ideas into the joint? My preference, as is well established, anyone who cant point to QBN on a map
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Toovey... It's ridiculous!

Will never coach another NRL team.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote: May 14, 2018, 9:02 pm I think i'd like not to spend years disparaging a third hero from my youth. I had fond memories of Dave and Stick, Stick in particular was my childhood hero. I hate how much he annoys me
I loved Dave...

hopefully in time the pair of them will settle back in the Mal role of forgetting how terrible they were as coaches and my thoughts will be entirely about what tremendous footballers they were and what they contributed to this team as players

I could do with a break from that dance. I'd love not to have to wrestle with my thoughts on Laurie Daley

Also, we've gone to the former player well too many times now. Can we just get a new face, fresh ideas into the joint? My preference, as is well established, anyone who cant point to QBN on a map
Good point. We need to come at this from a different angle.

Howell? Bulgarelli? Orford?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

LastRaider wrote:What do we think of Laurie Daley as coach?

I'd rather wheel him and Mal out as players tbh
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2018, 9:11 pm
Pigman wrote: May 14, 2018, 9:02 pm I think i'd like not to spend years disparaging a third hero from my youth. I had fond memories of Dave and Stick, Stick in particular was my childhood hero. I hate how much he annoys me
I loved Dave...

I think the current hierarchy goes:

Terry Campese
Laurie Daley
Betty White
Jason Croker
Mal, again
Alan Tongue
Josh Miller

That'll take us through till 2050 and by then we should have a fresh wave of Croker/Wighton/Bateman
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

greeneyed wrote:Toovey... It's ridiculous!

Will never coach another NRL team.
Why!

There’s got to be an investigation!

Need some discipline at this club

In Ricky We Trust
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Following the last decade of Raiders and NSW. Laurie Daley is just about the absolute last person I would want to coach the Raiders.

Obvious troll is obvious.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

gangrenous wrote:Following the last decade of Raiders and NSW. Laurie Daley is just about the absolute last person I would want to coach the Raiders.

Obvious troll is obvious.
I agree. Where to now then, off to England to recruit a coach?

KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I love Ricky Stuart.

He has changed this club off the field. Our media engagement is better, we pay respect to our past better than ever before, we have involvement from former greats, we’ve had more publicity on the internet past few years than the decade and a half prior.
We now acknowledge player numbers better, have more members, engage with fans better and more regularly, actively involve our players in charity events.

The bloke gets an awful wrap on this forum. We get people making assumptions about his personality to discredit him as a coach. We have a bloke who genuinely loves the club and is building it to be more professional and sustainable and all he gets from the fans is this garbage.

He gets a free pass from me IDGAF.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

KingDynamite wrote:I love Ricky Stuart.

He has changed this club off the field. Our media engagement is better, we pay respect to our past better than ever before, we have involvement from former greats, we’ve had more publicity on the internet past few years than the decade and a half prior.
We now acknowledge player numbers better, have more members, engage with fans better and more regularly, actively involve our players in charity events.

The bloke gets an awful wrap on this forum. We get people making assumptions about his personality to discredit him as a coach. We have a bloke who genuinely loves the club and is building it to be more professional and sustainable and all he gets from the fans is this garbage.

Sounds great.

But we never make the finals.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Who is the bloke coaching Broncos reserves? I want him, in the absence of any more high profile candidate. I hear he's fantastic. Nameless, but fantastic.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:

Sounds great.

But we never make the finals.

And when we do, Edrick Lee drops them.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Ricky Stewart is employed to get successful results on the footy field. We have made the finals once in 4 years and the way we are going in 2018 it will be once in 5 years. I was one who gave him a fair bit of lee way in the first couple of years because the team components were not his. He had to get the roster into the shape he wanted it. He did that by 2016 and produced a memorable season. Since then we have, in Sticky's words, produced 'soft' performance after 'soft' performance. He is responsible for that.

I couldn't care less about 'Publicity on the Internet' or his abuse of certain Members of the media at press conferences over articles written or to an extent the bagging of fans with his 'I know more than you do' comments. It is nothing compared to the regret I feel that this Club Champion simply cannot produce consistent positive outcomes as a coach. That's his role, that's his job and that's been a failure.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Me too brother!

In Ricky We Trust
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

At what point if any is that off field stuff not enough. Surely at some point he needs to get some results on the field as well. I've said consistently over the past couple of years that this is his year. He assembled this squad. He's paid overs to keep the playing group together. It hasn't paid dividends. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm prepared to give him another year to turn it around again. He can freshen up the joint by turning over some of our perennial underperformers but if it amounts to nothing next year than I'm sorry but he needs to fall on his sword. If he truly loved the club, half as much as he says he does, he would resign this year, but we know that won't happen.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The point was year three, when he had 'his' squad

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

KingDynamite wrote: May 14, 2018, 10:21 pm I love Ricky Stuart.

What about anything football-related this club is producing says “professional”?

Favourite son, master motivator, siege captain, marketing genius, chest thumping, green-bleeding, face-shoving .... it all counts for nothing if the actual footballing performances are not up to standard.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

After our loss to the Warriors I came to the conclusion that Ricky Stuart has to go. It was based on my belief that our biggest weakness in 2016 and 2017 was all to do with our defence and attitude to defence. It was clear as day. We came out in 2018 and it's as bad, or worse. It boggles the mind that this would not have been 'Priority Number 1' for the off-season and we come out with a point to prove. Nope.
It just shows he doesn't get it.

I'm happy to ride out this season and see what happens, I'm forever the optimist. But if we don't make the Semi's then his position is just untenable.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Yeah, I understand why people give stick a very long leash, but the fact is at some point you actually have to start winning football games don't you?

2016 was a dream year. The rest of Stick's tenure as coach has been mediocre at best and genuinely poor at other times. I don't doubt he loves the club, I don't doubt he wants us to win and I don't for a moment doubt his heart being in the job. But he just can't seem to get us the last 10% of the way there.

Look at Souths - they sacked Maguire a couple of years after he delivered them a premiership because they were on the decline and his ideas weren't working. We can't just keep the faith with Stick because he 'bleeds green'.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Pigman wrote: May 14, 2018, 9:27 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2018, 9:11 pm
I loved Dave...

I think the current hierarchy goes:

Terry Campese
Laurie Daley
Betty White
Jason Croker
Mal, again
Alan Tongue
Josh Miller

That'll take us through till 2050 and by then we should have a fresh wave of Croker/Wighton/Bateman
Don't forget Simon Woolford. Doing a stint as head coach of Huddersfield Giants and Hodgo credited him for his 2016 form. Lock him in as a special.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Totally agree, but he cannot get the team to perform on the field.
Make him a director or 'manager' like alex fergusson or gould and recruit a good coach.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeah that's a good call
Used to coach a QBN team too, the ties are strong there
Slot him in 3rd behind Loz and Campo
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeah that's a good call
Used to coach a QBN team too, the ties are strong there
Slot him in 3rd behind Loz and Campo
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

woppadingo wrote:

Totally agree, but he cannot get the team to perform on the field.
Make him a director or 'manager' like alex fergusson or gould and recruit a good coach.
I use to be a Ricky fan and use to cop all the criticism from friends and I use to take it on the chin. He has done some good things for the team but he is now at his ceiling if what he can do as a coach. It’s now time the team built on what Ricky has achieved and appoint a coach of the next level to replace him.

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

So you believe Stuart is a foundations guy and no matter how good a job he has done on the buildings foundations getting him to build the rest of the structure is going to lead to collapse and the ruining of that nice foundation? So do we need a framing guy or a drywall guy how far did we let him get before we realised it was a bad idea?
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

LastRaider wrote: May 16, 2018, 12:11 pm
woppadingo wrote:

100% spot on
raider 4 life
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Ultima wrote:So you believe Stuart is a foundations guy and no matter how good a job he has done on the buildings foundations getting him to build the rest of the structure is going to lead to collapse and the ruining of that nice foundation? So do we need a framing guy or a drywall guy how far did we let him get before we realised it was a bad idea?
Well if we lose big signings this year and don’t replace with any good stock and finish in the bottom 8 we have officially collapsed. So back to a framing guy then

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Sack him please... so I can stop going into my weekends already grumpy about the garbage performance we will inevitably roll out