dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by dubby »

edwahu wrote:
dubby wrote: August 11, 2018, 7:04 am
RedRaider wrote:
edwahu wrote: August 10, 2018, 1:27 pm Elliot had a low risk style of play and had teams who always put in and fought hard.

I think so much of that came from having two outstanding players and leaders in Wiki and Schif. Those two were the types of players we just don't have today.
Jason Croker was here until 2006 as well. Pick a position and let him loose. Broken bones couldn't slow his will to win. Those were the days we were a 'tough to beat' side. No it didn't mean a premiership, but no one liked playing the Raiders, particularly in Canberra. No 'I still got paid' attitude from any of those players. The Jersey came first.
I'd like to see the f/a results of the coaches. From memory, the Henry team copped a few hidings, and the Furner team lost the most games at home in a season, and the raiders biggest ever loss 4-68 ....at home.

Let's not rewrite history here. Elliott was a defensive focused coach, and our only attack was "Bomaghan". He constantly talked down the quality of the team, except david Howell, recruited poorly and was terrible at bloodily juniors. Matt Elliott set this club back ten years.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Average FA roughly, not including this season

Elliot 525 - 560 (-35)
Henry 580 - 590 (-10)
Furner 478 - 560 (-82)
Stuart 570 - 536 (+34)

Doesn't say too much, other than Furner had some awful attacking sides.
So Ricky has a better record in attack and defense, has reached the GF qualifier, made 2nd spot on the ladder.....and you want this man gone?

I'll admit that 2017 was a shocking season. The players just didn't work hard enough, and yes, Ricky has some accountability in that.

I'll tell you why I think things will improve next year: roster changes.

It's no secret that Austin is a weird cat, and has had run ins with others. He is a terrible defender and inconsistent week to week. I think he'd make a splendid 14, but he thinks he's worth a lot more.

Our Englishman are more mobile and will improve our defense. Boyd and Junior are great meter eaters, but can be exposed in defence. Our poms will improve that facet.

We still need a half. We really are lacking here. This is our biggest weakness, and I suspect Jack will play 6 with Cotric at 1.

We have a very good forward pack, a dynamic backline and a world class hooker. Baptiste will play 14, and rotate with Hodgo while Havili will be a utility. He may even play 7 with sezer at 6. Who knows.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

RedRaider wrote:
edwahu wrote: August 10, 2018, 1:27 pm Elliot had a low risk style of play and had teams who always put in and fought hard.

I think so much of that came from having two outstanding players and leaders in Wiki and Schif. Those two were the types of players we just don't have today.
Jason Croker was here until 2006 as well. Pick a position and let him loose. Broken bones couldn't slow his will to win. Those were the days we were a 'tough to beat' side. No it didn't mean a premiership, but no one liked playing the Raiders, particularly in Canberra. No 'I still got paid' attitude from any of those players. The Jersey came first.
I'd like to see the f/a results of the coaches. From memory, the Henry team copped a few hidings, and the Furner team lost the most games at home in a season, and the raiders biggest ever loss 4-68 ....at home.

Let's not rewrite history here. Elliott was a defensive focused coach, and our only attack was "Bomaghan". He constantly talked down the quality of the team, except david Howell, recruited poorly and was terrible at bloodily juniors. Matt Elliott set this club back ten years.

Bombaghan was far more of a thing in his second stint here under Henry and Furner IMO.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote: August 11, 2018, 11:43 am
edwahu wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

Elliot 525 - 560 (-35)
Henry 580 - 590 (-10)
Furner 478 - 560 (-82)
Stuart 570 - 536 (+34)

So Ricky has a better record in attack and defense, has reached the GF qualifier, made 2nd spot on the ladder.....and you want this man gone?

I'll admit that 2017 was a shocking season. The players just didn't work hard enough, and yes, Ricky has some accountability in that.

It's no secret that Austin is a weird cat, and has had run ins with others. He is a terrible defender and inconsistent week to week. I think he'd make a splendid 14, but he thinks he's worth a lot more.

Our Englishman are more mobile and will improve our defense. Boyd and Junior are great meter eaters, but can be exposed in defence. Our poms will improve that facet.

We still need a half. We really are lacking here. This is our biggest weakness, and I suspect Jack will play 6 with Cotric at 1.

We have a very good forward pack, a dynamic backline and a world class hooker. Baptiste will play 14, and rotate with Hodgo while Havili will be a utility. He may even play 7 with sezer at 6. Who knows.

Dubby, what is the point of comparing an unsuccessful coach with our other unsuccessful coaches?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If you look at our defense it falls off a cliff in 2001 and never really recovers. We have never got over losing Furner, Mullins, Daley all at once and replacing them with nobody.

Coaches are important but roster strength is way more important and management have never provided us a way to get the players we need that's worked.
Last edited by edwahu on August 11, 2018, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

gergreg wrote: August 11, 2018, 12:22 pm
edwahu wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

Elliot 525 - 560 (-35)
Henry 580 - 590 (-10)
Furner 478 - 560 (-82)
Stuart 570 - 536 (+34)

Dubby, what is the point of comparing an unsuccessful coach with our other unsuccessful coaches?
The Storm/Bellamy often get used as a benchmark in examples given on the GH.

Until we as supporters and the club get in the mindset that we should be as good as that standard or better - we will remain mired in mediocrity.

That means no more:

- “We can’t attract marquee players to Canberra”
- “The NRL has it in for us”
- “The refs have it in for us”
- “ ‘Person X’ knows the club, so therefore they will be better at their role than anyone from outside possibly could be”
- “Everything is good as it is”
- “Bleed green” (used as an excuse or substitute for any area where we objectively don’t measure up to the highest benchmarks)

We might be coached and run by a bunch of muppets - but we should aim higher as supporters... otherwise what’s the point?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:
edwahu wrote:
RedRaider wrote: Jason Croker was here until 2006 as well. Pick a position and let him loose. Broken bones couldn't slow his will to win. Those were the days we were a 'tough to beat' side. No it didn't mean a premiership, but no one liked playing the Raiders, particularly in Canberra. No 'I still got paid' attitude from any of those players. The Jersey came first.

Elliot 525 - 560 (-35)
Henry 580 - 590 (-10)
Furner 478 - 560 (-82)
Stuart 570 - 536 (+34)

To be fair to Dubby, other made the comparison, he just commented on it
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: August 11, 2018, 11:43 am..and you want this man gone?

Yes.

He's made the finals once in 5 years, which is a worse clip than Henry, Furner and Elliott.
He's taken his squads to the top 8 only twice in the last TWELVE years, in a league where 50% of the teams make the finals, that's absolutely inexcusable.
His wining % is right in line with all those guys and that's WITH which is emerging as a statistical outlier.
Dropping a hammer on bad teams and losing consistently to any team that is remotely good is not the hallmarks of a coach capable of taking this team to the top.
The Stuart era has been DEFINED by losing games in the most obscene, ridiculous ways you can ever imagine. I mean just insane levels of 8-10-14 point leads squandered in time frames that seem totally inconceivable, and in laughable ways
He has established a culture in this club of total and complete unaccountability and has done nothing to address the culture of continued under performance
He let the Paul Vaughan situation fester until it was rotten and we had to let a local kid, from Gungahlin walk out the door and go on to be EXACTLY who we all knew he was, in favour of Boyd and Paulo... neither of which have sniffed Vaughan potential... 2 years later we have NONE of them.
His boi, Jack Wighton, like a son to him, wouldnt trade him for any fullback in the world, walked around Civic belting ***** for apparently no reason at all, this is his poster child. What an indictment on the off field culture Stuart has established.

So yeah... let me be clear, as i'm not sure my views on this have been expressed.

THIS **** NEEDS TO RESIGN
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Pigman wrote:
dubby wrote: August 11, 2018, 11:43 am..and you want this man gone?

Yes.

He's made the finals once in 5 years, which is a worse clip than Henry, Furner and Elliott.
He's taken his squads to the top 8 only twice in the last TWELVE years, in a league where 50% of the teams make the finals, that's absolutely inexcusable.
His wining % is right in line with all those guys and that's WITH which is emerging as a statistical outlier.
Dropping a hammer on bad teams and losing consistently to any team that is remotely good is not the hallmarks of a coach capable of taking this team to the top.
The Stuart era has been DEFINED by losing games in the most obscene, ridiculous ways you can ever imagine. I mean just insane levels of 8-10-14 point leads squandered in time frames that seem totally inconceivable, and in laughable ways
He has established a culture in this club of total and complete unaccountability and has done nothing to address the culture of continued under performance
He let the Paul Vaughan situation fester until it was rotten and we had to let a local kid, from Gungahlin walk out the door and go on to be EXACTLY who we all knew he was, in favour of Boyd and Paulo... neither of which have sniffed Vaughan potential... 2 years later we have NONE of them.
His boi, Jack Wighton, like a son to him, wouldnt trade him for any fullback in the world, walked around Civic belting **** for apparently no reason at all, this is his poster child. What an indictment on the off field culture Stuart has established.

So yeah... let me be clear, as i'm not sure my views on this have been expressed.

THIS **** NEEDS TO RESIGN

When you put it like that....
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Had a good chuckle when this popped up in my news feed Image
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

With the coaching merry go round in full swing, this is surely the time to move Ricky on
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sticky was a great creative attacking half back. That's in his DNA. When it comes to defence though he seems to say 'what's that'? I use his discombobulated quotes in yesterdays radio interview, see in the West Tigers teams and previews thread, as a further example. He 'thinks' he knows how to fix it?? Mate, Head Coaches have to provide more than that. If the D has been a major focus this week only, what has been going on at training for years when our D has let us down again and again.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Red, when he was roosters coach they were the best defensive team in the comp.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

His Sharks teams were known for their gritty defense and uninspiring attack. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

dubby wrote:Red, when he was roosters coach they were the best defensive team in the comp.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That’s the problem Ricky is probably using the same system he used at the Roosters and is to stubborn to change.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Dr Zaius wrote:His Sharks teams were known for their gritty defense and uninspiring attack. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Dean Pay was always his defense coach, Parish in attack.

I think player talent, ref/rule interpretation, must contribute more than we understand.

I'm not excusing Ricky 100% here. But the players need to be held to account as well
. I think they're getting a free pass, to an extent.

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

dubby wrote: August 12, 2018, 1:08 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:His Sharks teams were known for their gritty defense and uninspiring attack. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Dean Pay was always his defense coach, Parish in attack.

I think player talent, ref/rule interpretation, must contribute more than we understand.

I'm not excusing Ricky 100% here. But the players need to be held to account as well
. I think they're getting a free pass, to an extent.

they’re His players though Dubby, he’s been here 5 years, if the players he recruited and retained can’t defend then ultimately that’s on him, you also have to remember Ricky offered the biggest defensive liability in the comp(Austin) 750k a year not that long ago
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We were directionless out there today. Abysmal.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 12, 2018, 3:50 pm We were directionless out there today. Abysmal.
All talent, no discipline. We are the worse drilled team in the comp.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Amazing use of the bench again, a team which looked like it had just met for the first time in the locker room. What training did we do during the week?

Four losses in a row to start the season, looking at seven losses in a row to end it with zero wins against the top eight, that would be the death of any coach anywhere else...
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Did Murchie make it on the field? I don’t recall seeing him.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Timbo wrote:Did Murchie make it on the field? I don’t recall seeing him.
Nope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Danaman137 wrote: August 12, 2018, 3:56 pm
Timbo wrote:Did Murchie make it on the field? I don’t recall seeing him.
Nope...

Cheers, figured as much.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Sack Ricky

Post by Botman »

T H _ S
EDIT
N _ _ D S
T O
R _S _ G N

I'd like to solve it, Pat
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Stuart has always been the WORST user of the bench, the first thing I started tearing him apart for and he is getting worse, not better... Havili was taken off after five minutes as well, then put back on five minutes later... We are losing the game by two, and again, got to keep that bench warm, wouldn't want a fresh player out there to maybe spark something!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I barely even care anymore. Same team next week coach?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This week we'll work on defence..hey Stick !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

I don't usually do this, but im jumping on the sack stuart bandwagon... theres only so many 1 and 2 point losses a guy can take before he puts the blame on someone.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Agree with everything above.

It’s at the point where you can’t defend him anymore.

I don’t blame him for mistakes, missed tackles etc

But I do blame coaches for things like defensive structures, bench rotation, fitness, general game plan.

If any of the teams I’ve coached played like that, I would have been throwing **** in the sheds (unless it is their plan) they looked so lost today

Ps today is the first day I didn’t care that we lost

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

After losing today we're looking set to finish bottom 4 on competition points, with our worst regular season haul since 2011.

Yet there are genuinely a heap of delusional optimists at the game and on idiot book who believe we were unlucky today like we have been all year.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Does he actually still coach the side? Because every week Tapine, Rapana and BJ play like uncoached maniacs as usual and contribute about 80% of the teams output. It's like the rest of the squad doesn't exist at times.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Green eyed Mick wrote: August 12, 2018, 5:01 pm After losing today we're looking set to finish bottom 4 on competition points, with our worst regular season haul since 2011.

Yet there are genuinely a heap of delusional optimists at the game and on idiot book who believe we were unlucky today like we have been all year.

2011 was the year our #1 halves pairing Orford and Campese played about 6.5 games between them.

If we finish the season with only two more wins than that squad I will consider it a bigger failure.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Stuart is likely to lose the last 7 games of the year. I can't think of any other current coach at any other club that survives that, outside of Bellamy.
Last edited by edwahu on August 12, 2018, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Schifty wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote: August 12, 2018, 5:01 pm After losing today we're looking set to finish bottom 4 on competition points, with our worst regular season haul since 2011.

2011 was the year our #1 halves pairing Orford and Campese played about 6.5 games between them.

If we finish the season with only two more wins than that squad I will consider it a bigger failure.
Could you argue that Josh Hodgson being out for 2/3rds of the year had the same impact?
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

-TW- wrote: August 12, 2018, 7:09 pm
Schifty wrote:

Could you argue that Josh Hodgson being out for 2/3rds of the year had the same impact?
I wouldn't because we were still in positions to win so many of those games he missed but some pure ridiculous bench management and pure lack of discipline cost us.

I think 2011 finished wit Mick Picker in the halves :shock:
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

-TW- wrote: August 12, 2018, 7:09 pm
Schifty wrote:

Not when your solution was to switch your best half into hooker rather than use a specialist hooker who was dominating the second tier competition.

That still makes me laugh. He had 4 months to settle on a halves pairing and that's what the master Coach delivered. :roflmao