Ricky Stuart

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart coaching

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote:
zim wrote: July 17, 2019, 1:39 pm I'd say it's probably time for the changing of the guard. Stuart has laid the platform. Time for Brett White to step up. Just kidding, can you imagine?
Anthony Griffin?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 17, 2019, 3:28 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
zim wrote: July 17, 2019, 1:39 pm I'd say it's probably time for the changing of the guard. Stuart has laid the platform. Time for Brett White to step up. Just kidding, can you imagine?
Anthony Griffin?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was waiting for your bite :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

So who will be the next coach, or should be? It won’t be Bellamy
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

So who will be the next coach, or should be? It won’t be Bellamy
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I think whenever he does leave it will be on his terms. I sense zero interest from the board/club to have it any other way.
He gives the club a certain league wide gravitas that only a handful of other coaches across the league have. We wouldn’t have Hodgson, BJ or Bateman without him and I don’t think after seeing what this team with this style can do this year, that a ‘rebuilding’ phase is in anyone’s best interests.
Cappy has been great for him imo. Seems like a much better fit than Pay or Crawley. (Crawley being someone I thought would be hard to replace.)
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:49 pm
zim wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:46 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:00 pm
Anthony Griffin?
I reckon cappy probably gets the gig after stick steps down to take up another role at the end of 2021. Not what I would do but I can see it happening.
I wouldn't be ruling Michael Ennis out too quickly either.
Ennis has a good football brain, no doubt.

But re: the Raiders HC gig - I think he has a Queanbeyan/map problem...
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

No doubt Stuart will still be involved in the club regardless either as a head coach or GM of football.

I think a one year extension is worthy on the club making the finals.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

If the Board has learnt from his last extension then they won't be making any decisions in 2019. Leading into this year his record is one finals series from 5. Should the team's form continue and we get our wish and make the finals it will still only be 2 from 6. Imo we should be deep into season 2020 before the 2021 coach is determined.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Some interesting insights into Ricky’s coaching mindset from Finch tonight on Matty Johns Podcast!
No doubt he has evolved, but from what Finch said he didn’t hold back our Stick
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Old School Green wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:02 pm Some interesting insights into Ricky’s coaching mindset from Finch tonight on Matty Johns Podcast!
I thought it was a fascinating listen. If posters have missed it, make sure you see the replay or go to the podcast version.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

greeneyed wrote: July 17, 2019, 10:19 pm
Old School Green wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:02 pm Some interesting insights into Ricky’s coaching mindset from Finch tonight on Matty Johns Podcast!
I thought it was a fascinating listen. If posters have missed it, make sure you see the replay or go to the podcast version.
I agree GE. Finch was so open about everything and it was refreshing and eye opening. He was quite emotional at times. Very good watch/listen.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Where can I find this?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: July 17, 2019, 11:53 pm Where can I find this?
https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/the- ... -podcast-1
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Anthony Griffin?
Brian Smith.. :)
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: July 18, 2019, 7:34 am
Anthony Griffin?
Brian Smith.. :)
Matthew Elliott!!
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

That was a fantastic listen. Finch was incredibly open and candid - think it will help a lot of people struggling to hear from someone with a public profile open up like that.

As for what Ricky said to him - I will just say I don't think it is EVER a good idea for a head coach, General Manager or Owner to see the players after a few drinks. Nothing good ever comes of it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

TongueFTW wrote: July 18, 2019, 1:25 pm That was a fantastic listen. Finch was incredibly open and candid - think it will help a lot of people struggling to hear from someone with a public profile open up like that.

As for what Ricky said to him - I will just say I don't think it is EVER a good idea for a head coach, General Manager or Owner to see the players after a few drinks. Nothing good ever comes of it.
Haha Rusty Crowe and Luke Keary down on the ranch comes to mind.
Rusty Crowe
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Rusty Crowe »

The Rickman wrote: July 18, 2019, 2:05 pm
TongueFTW wrote: July 18, 2019, 1:25 pm That was a fantastic listen. Finch was incredibly open and candid - think it will help a lot of people struggling to hear from someone with a public profile open up like that.

Haha Rusty Crowe and Luke Keary down on the ranch comes to mind.
I can’t speak for him, but I had a great time
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Why negotiate now?

Wait till the end of the season then you have more data on what to do and potentially more leverage.

IMO if the club is not in financial stress at the end of the year depending on how everything falls you do one of two things:-
- Extend him until 2022 (2023 if we win the GF, I know my generosity astounds me)
- Terminate him and look for a new coach

Under no circumstances though do we waste 2020 mucking around with what are we doing with our coach.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Yet another game where we get to 20pts and then stop playing football......

Surely the coach needs to address this quickly? There’s almost enough evidence now to suggest a pattern of behaviour here
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Rickmando wrote: July 20, 2019, 11:29 pm Yet another game where we get to 20pts and then stop playing football......

Surely the coach needs to address this quickly? There’s almost enough evidence now to suggest a pattern of behaviour here
Have a watch of the press conference.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

zim wrote: July 20, 2019, 11:40 pm
Rickmando wrote: July 20, 2019, 11:29 pm Yet another game where we get to 20pts and then stop playing football......

Have a watch of the press conference.
I missed it, but now I’m intrigued! Will do
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Interesting thing that I find about Stuart coached teams is their consistency. If come in good early, they generally stay good. If they're bad early, they usually stay like that. There doesn't seem to be many surprises or variance in the type of performance. Checking the ladder in each year that he's coached in FG and to me it looks like the lack of variance is generally reflected in the ladder position of his teams as well.

Even last year and the year before, highly disappointing seasons I'm sure we all can agree, the team was consistent pretty much throughout. For better or worse, a guy like Furner relied on late season surges and could have the performance of the team vary wildly, from world beaters one week, to wooden spoon contenders the next, and back again. Not sure which is more frustrating?
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:49 pm
zim wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:46 pm
Anthony Griffin?
I reckon cappy probably gets the gig after stick steps down to take up another role at the end of 2021. Not what I would do but I can see it happening.
I wouldn't be ruling Michael Ennis out too quickly either.
I dont think stick will step down willingly. Mick Ennis hasn't actually coached a team yet and while I dont doubt he'd be a great coach, he'd need a year or two with his own team and I cant see him doing that with his current media commitments. He's really great on TV and doesnt need a full-time coaching gig
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

Old School Green wrote: July 17, 2019, 4:37 pm I think whenever he does leave it will be on his terms. I sense zero interest from the board/club to have it any other way.
He gives the club a certain league wide gravitas that only a handful of other coaches across the league have. We wouldn’t have Hodgson, BJ or Bateman without him and I don’t think after seeing what this team with this style can do this year, that a ‘rebuilding’ phase is in anyone’s best interests.
Cappy has been great for him imo. Seems like a much better fit than Pay or Crawley. (Crawley being someone I thought would be hard to replace.)
Pretty sure we still play Crawley's game plans. Difference is that we can defend now
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zilhouse wrote: July 28, 2019, 10:55 pm
Old School Green wrote: July 17, 2019, 4:37 pm I think whenever he does leave it will be on his terms. I sense zero interest from the board/club to have it any other way.
Pretty sure we still play Crawley's game plans. Difference is that we can defend now
Maybe Crawley isn't a genius and just got hit by Rapana, Leilua, Hodgo etc all in career best form. We scored an awful lot of long range tries, outrageous skill Leipana tries that set the whole league alight and Hodgo being Hodgo... Didn't Crawley end up at St Merge?

They are not an attacking powerhouse and we used to complain we were crap in the 20 -where you want to run a structured play- but could score fine from anywhere else on the park - where our talent had space to do their thang...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Ricky Stuart

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Didn’t we have Crawley also during peak Campo/Best era as well?

Maybe you’re onto something. Maybe Crawley is just a crazy old turtle?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021