Ricky Stuart

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

CJ42
Laurie Daley

Re: Ricky Stuart coaching

Post by CJ42 »

Dutch made it to Australia, found anti aging chemicals and changed his name to rocky Stuart.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

SACK RICKY
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Woodgers wrote: February 16, 2019, 11:07 am Marrapodi has spent an hour on the phone to Sticky this morning explaining how he closes out the tight games.
It took an hour to say "don't let the other team score" :? :shock:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I have no idea who Marrapodi is, but he sounds like the best thing to happen to the Raiders' coaching staff since Bob Turnington.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 3:44 pm I have no idea who Marrapodi is, but he sounds like the best thing to happen to the Raiders' coaching staff since Bob Turnington.
He grew up in Canberra and played footy in the local area competition. He was a good player when younger but never made a career of it.

Began his coaching from there. Been coaching Raiders junior sides for several years.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Saw this in a tweet

With the Panthers loss Ivan Cleary has over taken Ricky Stuart with the lowest win percentage with coaching 300 games or more.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 12, 2019, 10:28 pm Saw this in a tweet

With the Panthers loss Ivan Cleary has over taken Ricky Stuart with the lowest win percentage with coaching 300 games or more.
I'm both surprised and not surprised. If you look back over Cleary's coaching career he's always seemed to get the weaker squads to play above themselves. Not so good managing a more talented roster.

Panthers went to great lengths to get him there and they went into this season with high expectations. I wonder how fans will react if their current poor form continues.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Saw this in a tweet

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Plus Ivan has never won a premiership. I can’t think of many coaches who have coached over 300 games with out a premiership, maybe Brian Smith?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ivan is at Penrith for 1 reason and 1 reason only, to keep Nathan there.
If they didnt sign Ivan, Nathan leaves and is playing for the Tigers this time next year... I get why the panthers did it. They know finding someone like Nathan Cleary is rare and you do what you can to build around him...

but it's also the worst thing they could have done, Ivan and Gould dont get along, and probably never will. A father managing a superstar son is not an ideal situation... but this is the bed they were, tbh, almost forced to lie in, and i think it's going to be an out and out disaster.

Agree above, i like Ivan as a coach, he gets a lot out of bad teams imo. But this situation is a disaster, and i think who ever gets Ivan next will have a decent coach. Gould's biggest challenge will be in a few years time sitting down with Nathan and saying "Ok, you got your Dad and where did it get us? Now it's time to do something else" and convincing him that he should stay for that... assuming Nathan kicks on and is worth building around then, which i think will happen but is no sure thing
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Gould walked out on the club. He wanted Bennett and didn't get his way and I know it's still early, but judging by how the club is playing compared to Souths it isn't looking good. Souths aren't playing well the last 3 weeks but at least they are winning.
The time is ripe for a club to swoop in and gain his services.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There's a nice story about our Poms in today's telecrap.

It's about the first time Bateman and Sutton met Ricky and Pete at a truck stop somewhere.

Both boys were in Wollongong with Wigan a few years back and met up with the coach.

The story goes on to talk about all the Kiwis we've had wear out glorious jumper over the years and the success recruitment from NZ and now ENG has transformed the Green Machine..

Good read..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:There's a nice story about our Poms in today's telecrap.

It's about the first time Bateman and Sutton met Ricky and Pete at a truck stop somewhere.

Both boys were in Wollongong with Wigan a few years back and met up with the coach.

The story goes on to talk about all the Kiwis we've had wear out glorious jumper over the years and the success recruitment from NZ and now ENG has transformed the Green Machine..

Good read..
Surprised there's room for it given all the pro-LNP propaganda they publish...
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:41 am

Good read..
Today's Sunday Telecrap is wrapped in a 32 page Winx fest....
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Good read..
Bit suss meeting at a truck stop
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:57 am

Good read..
Bit suss meeting at a truck stop
Apparently the hamburgers are really really good..
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

That post about seeing Tony Williams at a queanbeyan servo was true all along :lol:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:

Good read..
Read the SMH if you want lefty lunacy, or watch "your" ABC. Hell, watch Kochy and his smug elitists on Sunrise

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Ricky Stuart coaching

Post by The Nickman »

Stuart coached an absolutely brilliant gameplan against the eels today, full credit to him and the boys.

To be fair though, that gameplan would work against most teams, just focus on defence and possession and just slowly strangle your opposition out of the contest. It was Melbourne Storm-like and very VERY enjoyable to watch.

After reaching my lowest point about Round 22 last year I’m officially loving my rugby league again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Hats off to the coaching staff, after 5 rounds we currently have the best defensive record :clap:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Ricky Stuart coaching

Post by LastRaider »

With our results thus far this year is Ricky headed for an upgrade? Does he deserve a 3 year extension?

My friends think he is a magician with what he has done with our defence and believe he is worth retaining.... I’m on the fence
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think he deserves a 1 year extension and if the squad backs this season up with another quality season next year based around attitude, commitment and defence, then I'd throw the chequebook at him.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

With all due respect what has he achieved coaching wise with the Raiders yet? The back end of 2016 and this season so far have been good but this is over how many years This doesn't warrant an extension at this stage. We as a club should be pushing for a high level of sustained performance. I hope he stays on as coach as this means we are having success but I would be waiting to see how we finish out this year and start next year before starting to think about any extension. Really where is he going to go if he left the Raiders, Gold Coast?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

To offer a 3 year extension now would be insane. You would be committing for another 4 years to a coach that has taken the team to the finals twice in 6 seasons (assumes we make it this year). Maybe give him 1 year more on the back of the success this season. Otherwise wait and see.

Of course the catch is with player contracts being negotiated 12 months out you almost have to lock in your coach as well.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

kona_dream wrote:With all due respect what has he achieved coaching wise with the Raiders yet? The back end of 2016 and this season so far have been good but this is over how many years This doesn't warrant an extension at this stage. We as a club should be pushing for a high level of sustained performance. I hope he stays on as coach as this means we are having success but I would be waiting to see how we finish out this year and start next year before starting to think about any extension. Really where is he going to go if he left the Raiders, Gold Coast?
Is his contract up this year? If so, he ABSOLUTELY deserves a 1 year extension, surely?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'd say it's probably time for the changing of the guard. Stuart has laid the platform. Time for Brett White to step up. Just kidding, can you imagine?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: July 17, 2019, 1:39 pm I'd say it's probably time for the changing of the guard. Stuart has laid the platform. Time for Brett White to step up. Just kidding, can you imagine?
Anthony Griffin?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I think where Ricky failed after 2016 was believing we were going to be able to "run it back" again with the same squad and cruise to the finals again.
I think that lesson has been learnt after 2 poor seasons.
The focus has been (correctly) on ensuring we have the right personnel to play with a defensive mindset first.
If he can continue this path (I.e. recruit and develop players for this system) I'd be giving him an upgrade.
But this means committing to a process where the squad is continuously refreshed for the better and may mean some tough (but required) decisions on playing roster.
The most successful clubs (in all sports) operate this way.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 1:31 pm
kona_dream wrote:With all due respect what has he achieved coaching wise with the Raiders yet? The back end of 2016 and this season so far have been good but this is over how many years This doesn't warrant an extension at this stage. We as a club should be pushing for a high level of sustained performance. I hope he stays on as coach as this means we are having success but I would be waiting to see how we finish out this year and start next year before starting to think about any extension. Really where is he going to go if he left the Raiders, Gold Coast?
Is his contract up this year? If so, he ABSOLUTELY deserves a 1 year extension, surely?
No his contact is up at the end of 2020.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/canber ... wtqrx.html
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:00 pm
zim wrote: July 17, 2019, 1:39 pm I'd say it's probably time for the changing of the guard. Stuart has laid the platform. Time for Brett White to step up. Just kidding, can you imagine?
Anthony Griffin?
I reckon cappy probably gets the gig after stick steps down to take up another role at the end of 2021. Not what I would do but I can see it happening.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:46 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:00 pm
Anthony Griffin?
I reckon cappy probably gets the gig after stick steps down to take up another role at the end of 2021. Not what I would do but I can see it happening.
I wouldn't be ruling Michael Ennis out too quickly either.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Would rather see him in a coach assistants role for a few years first instead of just consulting. Great footy mind but I don't think he's got the temperament to man manage a squad as a head coach at this stage. There's much worse dice rolls out there though.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Craig Bellamy will be our next coach. He'll leave the Storm when Cam Smith retires.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

kona_dream wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:26 pm

I dont think its good to have coaches in lame duck years
And Stuart's performance doesnt warrant that either. I dont think we should make a major commitment. And we dont need to, Stuart isnt going to be poached from us.
I would give him a 2 year extension. Which allows him to coach this year and next year with security and years on his deal, and pending on how this year finishes off and next year starts, all things going well, then comes the huge 4-5 year extension.

Otherwise the transition to the office role begins.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

PigRickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 3:03 pm
kona_dream wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:26 pm

I dont think its good to have coaches in lame duck years
And Stuart's performance doesnt warrant that either. I dont think we should make a major commitment. And we dont need to, Stuart isnt going to be poached from us.
I would give him a 2 year extension. Which allows him to coach this year and next year with security and years on his deal, and pending on how this year finishes off and next year starts, all things going well, then comes the huge 4-5 year extension.

Otherwise the transition to the office role begins.
Ricky wouldn't be starting the season as a lame duck coach. He would be in a position of if he gets the team to perform he gets a nice extension. If the team isn't going well then you start the transition to another coach. Otherwise we end up just like 2017 and 2018. Have a good few months everyone thinks things will be great then put up with 2 more years of mediocrity.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Northern Raider wrote:To offer a 3 year extension now would be insane. You would be committing for another 4 years to a coach that has taken the team to the finals twice in 6 seasons (assumes we make it this year). Maybe give him 1 year more on the back of the success this season. Otherwise wait and see.

Of course the catch is with player contracts being negotiated 12 months out you almost have to lock in your coach as well.
Yeah, I think they will have to announce at the end of the year something