Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Schifty »

Green eyed Mick wrote: August 7, 2018, 7:24 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:27 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:23 pm
LastRaider wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:08 pm Someone mentioned on here a while ago about starting a change.org petition against Stuart and the way the club is ran! Well I’m on board whoever wants to start one

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Write letters to the Canberra times accusing their journalists of being captives of the club and being spin merchants in return for game day percs, merch and other insider benefits.
I hope people don't as that would be ridiculous.
Not as ridiculous as a petition. :roflmao
What about a giant Ricky Stuart Baby balloon?
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:48 pm Wow... Wests Tigers CEO just says that they won't be releasing Ivan Cleary and he, nor his management, have sought a release... and if they did, the release would be denied.

There is clearly going to be a bit of a coaching merry go round at the moment... with Gould saying a number of other current NRL coaches interested. So if they miss Cleary... Brennan is the other they've approached, clearly. The Panthers have said they've approached two current NRL coaches.
If i'm the Tigers i'm holding as firm as possible and not budging an inch. They should be moving heaven and earth to keep Ivan Cleary and remind him why he is there in the first place and what he is building. If they hold the coach, they probably also get the best prospect in the game in the next 12 months. If it doesn't pan out that way for them, they've given themselves the best chance at long term success by holding their ground in this instance.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd hold him too, on principle. Even if he walked out the door, I'd do everything possible to stop him from coaching the Panthers. I'd tie it up in the courts for as long as possible, as your club is being disrespected. And you're basically being viewed as a feeder team for the wealthy.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Shouldn't the coaching cap stop this sort of thing?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

100% that's they should do... some how these situations always get sorted and maybe some players move between clubs, maybe some cash and that'll be that.

In this specific circumstance, the lure of keeping Ivan and that resulting in Nathan soon would make me want to really fight more...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
TongueFTW wrote: August 7, 2018, 5:34 pm
zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 4:01 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 3:45 pm Interesting... Panthers offer Cleary a four year deal to return to the Panthers, with the aim of locking up Nathan, despite the fact Ivan has two years left on his Wests Tigers deal... and they have no intention of releasing Ivan...

Gould being ruthless in his determination to get success, the sort of thing the Roosters do. Would be nice to think the Raiders were as determined. We just seem to be stumbling forward, with no vision, and the squad just getting weaker every year.

Panthers offer long-term deal to Ivan Cleary to leave Wests Tigers: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/07/pen ... ts-tigers/
"Gould being ruthless in his determination to get success"... if it works out great for them. I mean up until now it's just had the result of shifting the 5 year plan every 2.5 years. Amazingly we've played just as many prelim finals as they have in the last 10 years.
The big advantage of having their junior system is being able to churn like crazy. If he had cooled his jets before sacking Ivan they would more than likely have had more success.
The 5 year plan thing was a myth. He was handed an absolute basket case of a club in 2011, where Elliot had Michael Jennings on a back ended contract worth something like 800K, and Petero on his last legs earning similar. He swept through and made some unpopular decisions, invested heavily in juniors, built a performance centre, and has had a great level of success for a smaller club. They have been fairly unlucky with injuries, and I think if they played anyone other than us in that 2016 semi they make another prelim. They played a preliminary in 2014, bowed out in 2015 on the back of a crazy injury run, but then have made the second round of the semis in 2016 and 2017, with the semis again in 2018. I don't think that is an awful record.
It's not an awful record but records don't tell the whole story. The team is underperforming on a consistent basis. If I am Phil Gould that's far more important than the ladder position or results from 2016 and 2017.
Exactly.
And to reply to the nested quote the 5 year plan was never a myth. It exists because it came from the horse's mouth, but maybe that point is Gould is a bit of a BS merchant.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 7, 2018, 7:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 7, 2018, 5:12 pm
CJ42 wrote: August 7, 2018, 4:43 pm
Pigman wrote:No, that's 100% true
We interviewed Bellemy, told him he'd get the job but we had scheduled a meeting with Elliott so were going through with that out of courtesy and apparently Elliott blew the room away and got the job.
That’s putrid.
I reckon we’d have won a comp easily by now.
Took Bellamy 10 years to win his first premiership. Would we have waited that long?
So you reckon when the Storm won the comp in 2007 after 5 years' of Bellamy being in charge they already knew they were going to be stripped of it and didn't view him as performing in his role? And the same again in 2009?

Those are some leaps.
I was wondering who would take the bait first. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 8:14 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:
zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 4:01 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 3:45 pm Interesting... Panthers offer Cleary a four year deal to return to the Panthers, with the aim of locking up Nathan, despite the fact Ivan has two years left on his Wests Tigers deal... and they have no intention of releasing Ivan...

Gould being ruthless in his determination to get success, the sort of thing the Roosters do. Would be nice to think the Raiders were as determined. We just seem to be stumbling forward, with no vision, and the squad just getting weaker every year.

Panthers offer long-term deal to Ivan Cleary to leave Wests Tigers: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/07/pen ... ts-tigers/
"Gould being ruthless in his determination to get success"... if it works out great for them. I mean up until now it's just had the result of shifting the 5 year plan every 2.5 years. Amazingly we've played just as many prelim finals as they have in the last 10 years.
The big advantage of having their junior system is being able to churn like crazy. If he had cooled his jets before sacking Ivan they would more than likely have had more success.
The 5 year plan thing was a myth. He was handed an absolute basket case of a club in 2011, where Elliot had Michael Jennings on a back ended contract worth something like 800K, and Petero on his last legs earning similar. He swept through and made some unpopular decisions, invested heavily in juniors, built a performance centre, and has had a great level of success for a smaller club. They have been fairly unlucky with injuries, and I think if they played anyone other than us in that 2016 semi they make another prelim. They played a preliminary in 2014, bowed out in 2015 on the back of a crazy injury run, but then have made the second round of the semis in 2016 and 2017, with the semis again in 2018. I don't think that is an awful record.
It's not an awful record but records don't tell the whole story. The team is underperforming on a consistent basis. If I am Phil Gould that's far more important than the ladder position or results from 2016 and 2017.
Exactly.
And to reply to the nested quote the 5 year plan was never a myth. It exists because it came from the horse's mouth, but maybe that point is Gould is a bit of a BS merchant.

You are wrong - where did he ever mention a 5 year plan?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.co ... 0dato.html

Quoting directly from that article: “First, I've heard talk of Panther's so-called "five-year plan" to win a premiership. What a load of rubbish. The term "five-year plan" is nothing more than media fabrication. I've never heard of such a plan at Panthers.”

If you don’t like Gould that’s fine, but I would do anything for a mind like his to come to the Raiders and clean the place up - starting with junior development.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Gould can't handle the fact that GWS has put a few sticks up without a crossbar in Western Sydney and is straight on the phone to his spokesman Roy Masters to get on the front foot scaremongering that the AFL is taking over Sydney. The task in the ACT region and it's surrounds would bring both those wally's to tears.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

TongueFTW wrote:
zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 8:14 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:
zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 4:01 pm "Gould being ruthless in his determination to get success"... if it works out great for them. I mean up until now it's just had the result of shifting the 5 year plan every 2.5 years. Amazingly we've played just as many prelim finals as they have in the last 10 years.
Exactly.

You are wrong - where did he ever mention a 5 year plan?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.co ... 0dato.html

Quoting directly from that article: “First, I've heard talk of Panther's so-called "five-year plan" to win a premiership. What a load of rubbish. The term "five-year plan" is nothing more than media fabrication. I've never heard of such a plan at Panthers.”

If you don’t like Gould that’s fine, but I would do anything for a mind like his to come to the Raiders and clean the place up - starting with junior development.
Yes it's true that his 5 year plan wasn't to win a premiership but it was his "half a decade to turn them around" that is the original quote.
Going off it's intended context I've definitely used it incorrectly.
Nothing personal against Gould. If anything my bug bear would be with Panthers media coverage and their fans opinions on the changes that happen.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Tigers will go after maguire now that cleary is all but certain to go to penrith

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The NRL should ban poaching on contract coaches, same as they kind of do for players.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

If Cleary joins the Panthers there are going to be a lot of people keen to see them come unstuck.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

We should be talking to Maguire now.......
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I can't think of too many current or former NRL coaches who I would say 'No' to at this point.

literally anyone who isn't a narcissist with an immovable chip on his/her shoulder would IMO do a better job.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I can't think of too many current or former NRL coaches who I would say 'No' to at this point.

literally anyone who isn't a narcissist with an immovable chip on his/her shoulder would IMO do a better job.
Spot on.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Just watching Griffin on 360. Good to see him sticking up for himself and calling Gus out, he comes across a smarter coach than made out (even if his monotone delivery doesn't help).

It's a really great interview, still going but I'd recommend catching it on replay if you missed it.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I can't think of too many current or former NRL coaches who I would say 'No' to at this point.

How many coaches does that selection criteria leave on the market?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

I was very impressed with Griffins interview. Now people would you have him as coach? Half of me says yes because of his old school approach to coaching and he won’t be one of the boys or chummy with the players and half of me says no way I don’t think he will work well with our roster. It’s a tough one. All opinions valid so fire away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Watched the Griffin interview and 100% would take him as coach.

We have a large junior base ourselves and it would be a stretch to say we have nurtured it to it’s full potential and he seems better equipped than anyone to get that right.

As for attracting talent he’s been around long enough now to hold some sway in getting players to the club.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

I'd have the Walker Brothers for crying out loud, if they were our best option over the Destroyer of Clubs.

So I'd jump at Griffin.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ive never been a fan of his as a coach. Given the level of resources and talent available, he made a meal of the Broncos gig, and in his stint with the panthers, their best footy happens when they're in situations where they are 13+ up or 13+ down and the game plan is effectively thrown out the window.
The panthers dont strike me as a well coached football team.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Nadruku »

What he has done with the Panthers has been pretty impressive and with such a young squad. Griffin coach and Stuart in a Phil Gould role?

Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Nadruku »

Pigman wrote:Ive never been a fan of his as a coach. Given the level of resources and talent available, he made a meal of the Broncos gig, and in his stint with the panthers, their best footy happens when they're in situations where they are 13+ up or 13+ down and the game plan is effectively thrown out the window.
Very true a great roster at the Broncs and did bugger all

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

6 seasons as head coach and he has seen 5 finals series. 3 from 3 at the Panthers.

I'd say that is pretty damn effective.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It depends how much of what he said is true, some of the stuff about the state of the club when he showed up doesn't really strike true.

No doubt Gus screwed him over though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: August 8, 2018, 7:32 pm Ive never been a fan of his as a coach. Given the level of resources and talent available, he made a meal of the Broncos gig, and in his stint with the panthers, their best footy happens when they're in situations where they are 13+ up or 13+ down and the game plan is effectively thrown out the window.
I said straight after the game against us, that the Panthers are no hope of winning the premiership. Their defence is terrible and they are a very loose team. I actually think they may have a chance now. I dislike has happened, what Gould and the Panthers have done and are doing, including to the Tigers.

I feel sorry for Griffin, very sorry, being sacked four weeks out from a finals campaign.

But he's not actually ever looked like winning a premiership. He improves teams to a certain level... and depending on who you listen to... wears out his welcome due to his "bedside manner".

Big red flags. Flashing red lights. Don't go there!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The thing is the Panthers are historically a weak club, and Hooks results are the best since 2003 and the first time they have made the semis three years in a row since 91.

Sacking him for a bloke that went 1/4 semis and never looked like winning a comp either makes no sense.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

greeneyed wrote:
Pigman wrote: August 8, 2018, 7:32 pm Ive never been a fan of his as a coach. Given the level of resources and talent available, he made a meal of the Broncos gig, and in his stint with the panthers, their best footy happens when they're in situations where they are 13+ up or 13+ down and the game plan is effectively thrown out the window.
I said straight after the game against us, that the Panthers are no hope of winning the premiership. Their defence is terrible and they are a very loose team. I actually think they may have a chance now. I dislike has happened, what Gould and the Panthers have done and are doing, including to the Tigers.

I feel sorry for Griffin, very sorry, being sacked four weeks out from a finals campaign.

But he's not actually ever looked like winning a premiership. He improves teams to a certain level... and depending on who you listen to... wears out his welcome due to his "bedside manner".

Big red flags. Flashing red lights. Don't go there!
Ricky did that for 3 tenures prior to joining us.

We are colourblind for red flags it seems.

Welcome to the club, Hook.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You are kidding. Ricky Stuart has won an NRL Premiership as a coach, made three Grand Finals and two Preliminary Finals with teams he's coached. I certainly won't argue that one finals appearance out of five years at Canberra is up to the mark. It's not. But to suggest that Anthony Griffin's coaching career is anywhere near the same ball park as Ricky Stuart is ridiculous. There has been a lot of success in his coaching career... which people like to forget. He's also had to turn around a number of basket case clubs... which impacts your win rate. Anthony Griffin hasn't really.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Penrith are traditionally at about our level and were before he got there. It's not like they are a powerhouse, they made the semis twice in 11 years before he started.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

I never said Ricky hasn't had success.

I agreed he wears out his welcome by the end of a tenure and essentially leaves the side in a rabble.

Which, is not untrue. Yes he got given a paperbag filled Roosters as a gift from Graham Murray and Phil Gould. And he won ONE premiership. ONE! He lost the unloseable against Penrith. And since the Roosters he has had 2 good seasons in 11. I'd say, he wears out his welcome pretty damn good. Wouldn't you?

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont doubt for one second Hook would be an upgrade on our current coach, so if this **** resigned and they hired him, overall i'd feel good about that situation. But i dont think he's a long term answer, so if we're going to make a move, id rather go for someone else
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

PerthRaider86 wrote:We should be talking to Maguire now.......
100% we are going to miss out on a good coach here

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It isn't happening anyway.

But what would be the point of signing a coach who has failed in seven seasons to take a team to a Grand Final? At two of the best resourced clubs in the NRL, with access to two huge junior bases no less. It is ridiculous to suggest that's upgrading your coach.