Ricky Stuart coaching

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by kiwi raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 7, 2018, 1:37 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote:I wouldnt mind Maguire but would the NZRL allow him to coach the National Team and an NRL team at the same time???
Pretty sure I read he has a get out clause should an NRL club come knocking. It was in an article where his name was thrown up as a possible Griffin replacement. He has a clause, and he has a desire to coach in the NRL again
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10 ... -the-lurch

He states here that he wants to coach nrl again but he won't take an nrl head coaches job unless the club allows him to continue as kiwis coach
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Velda wrote: August 7, 2018, 1:59 pm Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-l ... ocid=ientp
I laughed at few points.

I'm sad now.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 1:40 pm How on earth could anyone consider the 2018 Des Hasler a viable option as a coach?
Because Ricky Stuart.

But seriously there are so many options - you advertise the position, people apply and like any normal process you pick the best applicant.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 1:40 pm How on earth could anyone consider the 2018 Des Hasler a viable option as a coach?
Because Ricky Stuart.

But seriously there are so many options - you advertise the position, people apply and like any normal process you pick the best applicant.
They tried that last time Henry was the preferred candidate, then Farmer McIntyre wanted sticky
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

-TW- wrote: August 7, 2018, 3:10 pm
gergreg wrote:
Because Ricky Stuart.

They tried that last time Henry was the preferred candidate, then Farmer McIntyre wanted sticky
Didnt we do that and we picked Elliot over Bellamy :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Perth Based Raiders Fan
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

PerthRaider86 wrote: August 7, 2018, 3:15 pm
gergreg wrote:
Because Ricky Stuart.

Didnt we do that and we picked Elliot over Bellamy :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
please tell me this isnt true.surely you jest?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

No, that's 100% true
We interviewed Bellemy, told him he'd get the job but we had scheduled a meeting with Elliott so were going through with that out of courtesy and apparently Elliott blew the room away and got the job.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting... Panthers offer Cleary a four year deal to return to the Panthers, with the aim of locking up Nathan, despite the fact Ivan has two years left on his Wests Tigers deal... and they have no intention of releasing Ivan...

Gould being ruthless in his determination to get success, the sort of thing the Roosters do. Would be nice to think the Raiders were as determined. We just seem to be stumbling forward, with no vision, and the squad just getting weaker every year.

Panthers offer long-term deal to Ivan Cleary to leave Wests Tigers: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/07/pen ... ts-tigers/
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The sacking of Griffin, while pretty harsh, has had the side-effect of throwing the spotlight onto a few of the other under performing coaches. Seems to be a bit of "what about Ricky Stuart's job?" starting to foment.

Could these be the very first rumblings? Probably not, but I hope so.
Up The Milk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 3:45 pm Interesting... Panthers offer Cleary a four year deal to return to the Panthers, with the aim of locking up Nathan, despite the fact Ivan has two years left on his Wests Tigers deal... and they have no intention of releasing Ivan...

Gould being ruthless in his determination to get success, the sort of thing the Roosters do. Would be nice to think the Raiders were as determined. We just seem to be stumbling forward, with no vision, and the squad just getting weaker every year.

Panthers offer long-term deal to Ivan Cleary to leave Wests Tigers: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/07/pen ... ts-tigers/
"Gould being ruthless in his determination to get success"... if it works out great for them. I mean up until now it's just had the result of shifting the 5 year plan every 2.5 years. Amazingly we've played just as many prelim finals as they have in the last 10 years.
The big advantage of having their junior system is being able to churn like crazy. If he had cooled his jets before sacking Ivan they would more than likely have had more success.
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 3:45 pm Interesting... Panthers offer Cleary a four year deal to return to the Panthers, with the aim of locking up Nathan, despite the fact Ivan has two years left on his Wests Tigers deal... and they have no intention of releasing Ivan...

No this is what a real football organisation in any code does.

Hey, we are the raiders and pokie profits are up 10%.

Backslaps, Cognac and cubans all round !!
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Pigman wrote:No, that's 100% true
We interviewed Bellemy, told him he'd get the job but we had scheduled a meeting with Elliott so were going through with that out of courtesy and apparently Elliott blew the room away and got the job.
That’s putrid.
I reckon we’d have won a comp easily by now.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

CJ42 wrote: August 7, 2018, 4:43 pm
That’s putrid.
To be fair, Bellamy was totally untried at first grade level. If we signed someone in the exact same scenario now we would blow up about one of the old boys getting a job.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Elliott talked his way in to a few jobs, the guy can talk , pity he can’t coach for ****
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

That’s putrid.
Took Bellamy 10 years to win his first premiership. Would we have waited that long?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

magoo wrote: August 7, 2018, 3:36 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote: August 7, 2018, 3:15 pm
gergreg wrote:
Because Ricky Stuart.

please tell me this isnt true.surely you jest?
We are lead to believe this is 100% true...... one of the reasons he prob would never come here to coach
Perth Based Raiders Fan
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So many 'sliding door' moments for this club and we've picked the wrong one on every **** occasion.
I wish I'd appreciated our success in the 90s more than I did at the time.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

kiwi raider wrote: August 7, 2018, 5:03 pm Elliott talked his way in to a few jobs, the guy can talk , pity he can’t coach for ****
Sounds a lot like Ricky.

I wonder if Ricky has the intelligence to fully grasp what he is doing to his legacy as a player.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

If Penrith really have sacked Griffin because they don't see him as a premiership winning coach it really highlights the ambitions between us and them.

As mentioned last night this might be a shrewd play by Gould to keep Nathan Cleary and i'd love nothing more than to see that blow up in his face just for my own amusement. Plus the Tigers deserve Ivan Cleary to keep turning them around because they put their faith in him after moving on a few coaches of their own, but of course that is secondary to me getting to see Gould miss out.

However love him or hate him, you have to say that if this is the hand Gus is playing, that he'll burn Griffin to try get both Cleary's and worst case scenario is picks the next best coach you have to tip your hat to him. He just wants the Panthers to win.

I'm more cynical than all this though. My guess is Gus strongly believes they can win the comp this season so he shuffles on Griffin immediately, appoints Ciraldo who everyone knows will just be a front for him, and if Penrith win it he sits there like the self-appointed coaching genius that he's perpetuated over the years. Puke.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 4:01 pm

"Gould being ruthless in his determination to get success"... if it works out great for them. I mean up until now it's just had the result of shifting the 5 year plan every 2.5 years. Amazingly we've played just as many prelim finals as they have in the last 10 years.
The big advantage of having their junior system is being able to churn like crazy. If he had cooled his jets before sacking Ivan they would more than likely have had more success.
The 5 year plan thing was a myth. He was handed an absolute basket case of a club in 2011, where Elliot had Michael Jennings on a back ended contract worth something like 800K, and Petero on his last legs earning similar. He swept through and made some unpopular decisions, invested heavily in juniors, built a performance centre, and has had a great level of success for a smaller club. They have been fairly unlucky with injuries, and I think if they played anyone other than us in that 2016 semi they make another prelim. They played a preliminary in 2014, bowed out in 2015 on the back of a crazy injury run, but then have made the second round of the semis in 2016 and 2017, with the semis again in 2018. I don't think that is an awful record.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Someone mentioned on here a while ago about starting a change.org petition against Stuart and the way the club is ran! Well I’m on board whoever wants to start one

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

TongueFTW wrote: August 7, 2018, 5:34 pm
zim wrote: August 7, 2018, 4:01 pm

The 5 year plan thing was a myth. He was handed an absolute basket case of a club in 2011, where Elliot had Michael Jennings on a back ended contract worth something like 800K, and Petero on his last legs earning similar. He swept through and made some unpopular decisions, invested heavily in juniors, built a performance centre, and has had a great level of success for a smaller club. They have been fairly unlucky with injuries, and I think if they played anyone other than us in that 2016 semi they make another prelim. They played a preliminary in 2014, bowed out in 2015 on the back of a crazy injury run, but then have made the second round of the semis in 2016 and 2017, with the semis again in 2018. I don't think that is an awful record.
It's not an awful record but records don't tell the whole story. The team is underperforming on a consistent basis. If I am Phil Gould that's far more important than the ladder position or results from 2016 and 2017.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Don’t know if it has been posted on here yet, but found one article at least applying pressure on Stuart.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/07/need-talk-ricky/

It’s a start at least

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

LastRaider wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:08 pm Someone mentioned on here a while ago about starting a change.org petition against Stuart and the way the club is ran! Well I’m on board whoever wants to start one

Write letters to the Canberra times accusing their journalists of being captives of the club and being spin merchants in return for game day percs, merch and other insider benefits.

Journalists are supposed to speak truth to power. All the local sports journalists are little more than spin merchants.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green eyed Mick wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:23 pm
LastRaider wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:08 pm Someone mentioned on here a while ago about starting a change.org petition against Stuart and the way the club is ran! Well I’m on board whoever wants to start one

Write letters to the Canberra times accusing their journalists of being captives of the club and being spin merchants in return for game day percs, merch and other insider benefits.
I hope people don't as that would be ridiculous.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

edwahu wrote:
That’s putrid.
To be fair, Bellamy was totally untried at first grade level. If we signed someone in the exact same scenario now we would blow up about one of the old boys getting a job.
And the fact he had 3 of the most talented players in a generation in their feeder system helps

He may have been a total dud here, who knows
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wow... Wests Tigers CEO just says that they won't be releasing Ivan Cleary and he, nor his management, have sought a release... and if they did, the release would be denied.

There is clearly going to be a bit of a coaching merry go round at the moment... with Gould saying a number of other current NRL coaches interested. So if they miss Cleary... Brennan is the other they've approached, clearly. The Panthers have said they've approached two current NRL coaches.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 7, 2018, 5:12 pm
That’s putrid.
Took Bellamy 10 years to win his first premiership. Would we have waited that long?
Yep, few clubs have the organisational stability to be that patient... would we have waited that long? I dunno, they were decent before winning comps, we stick with trash bags for 5 years. We tried to keep Elliott because he was OK... i have a feeling if we ever stumbled on to a coach who could get us to the finals 2 in every 3 years, he'd have a job for life
kiwi raider wrote: August 7, 2018, 5:03 pm Elliott talked his way in to a few jobs, the guy can talk , pity he can’t coach for ****
Yeah he's just feels like the type who could sell ice to eskimos
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Paul Kent on NRL 360 saying there's every chance that the Rabbitohs and Broncos will swap coaches.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:48 pm Wow... Wests Tigers CEO just says that they won't be releasing Ivan Cleary and he, nor his management, have sought a release... and if they did, the release would be denied.

There is clearly going to be a bit of a coaching merry go round at the moment... with Gould saying a number of other current NRL coaches interested. So if they miss Cleary... Brennan is the other they've approached, clearly. The Panthers have said they've approached two current NRL coaches.
...and the only secure coach is Sticky
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

greeneyed wrote:Paul Kent on NRL 360 saying there's every chance that the Rabbitohs and Broncos will swap coaches.
:lol: poor Rabbitohs
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Northern Raider wrote: August 7, 2018, 5:12 pm
That’s putrid.
So you reckon when the Storm won the comp in 2007 after 5 years' of Bellamy being in charge they already knew they were going to be stripped of it and didn't view him as performing in his role? And the same again in 2009?

Those are some leaps.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: VERY fair counter there. I had kind of forgotten those stripped premierships
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:27 pm

Not as ridiculous as a petition. :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:27 pm

Agreed, it's absolutely ridiculous to level those very accurate and fair claims at the gutless journo (read: PR firm for the raiders) via snail mail. It's 2018, get on twitter and got directly at these cowards. They're all on there, direct engagement with these **** frauds.

Good call GE, snail mail... ridiculous.