Ricky Stuart coaching

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Ultima wrote: August 6, 2018, 10:58 pm Also, I would like to point out that you all gave me so much **** when I started the original sack Stuart thread back in 2015 :P Glad to see you're 99% on board now, I only know of one person out there who isn't in the sack him wagon now and even they just laugh now instead of getting upset when I mention it to them.
You got s### back then because it was totally warranted. Stuart era was good up until its expiry in September 2016. After that the Sack Stuart thread has rightfully exploded.
Up The Milk
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 6, 2018, 11:00 pm
-TW- wrote: August 6, 2018, 8:06 pm There's Twitter rumours going around he's losing the dressing room pretty quickly

Grain of salt of course
They say that defence is a large part an attitude thing. If yesterdays game is anything to go by, our attitude is non-existent and these rumours could have some basis.

Maybe we'll end up in salary cap trouble when we release half the squad and still pay a % of their wages while keeping Stuart at the club...
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:Junior Paulo is reported to have been at the game too, but I didn't see him.
He was in a different postcode.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
raidersmalt
Brett Mullins

Post by raidersmalt »

I've been ignoring this thread because I really wanted to give Ricky a decent crack at building something.....

5 years is decent. We've made the finals once in what was seemingly a fluke based on the other 4 years.

Things seem to be just as bad as when Furner got dumped, however I think public pressure just isn't as strong as it was all those years ago. Furner got the sack because the club had no other choice, member's were sending back their membership..... However this isn't happening with Ricky and I'm not sure why.....is it that we're all just used to mediocrity?

I agree, Ricky has had his chance and needs to move on for the sake of the club....I also think it's time Don Furner also moved on.

If you guys are serious about this I think public pressure needs to get a bit more intense, otherwise get ready for another September without finals footy.

Ricky would not still be at any other club based on the teams performance under his coaching.....the Raiders need to get serious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

In regards to DFJ. I’ve got no problem with him sticking around as CEO and focus on running the club in general. I think we’re pretty solid in that regards e.g. finances, memberships, sponsors etc. Where we need new blood is somebody to head up football operations, with a focus on building a successful NRL team. Separation of these duties is the best path to success IMO.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Northern Raider wrote:In regards to DFJ. I’ve got no problem with him sticking around as CEO and focus on running the club in general. I think we’re pretty solid in that regards e.g. finances, memberships, sponsors etc. Where we need new blood is somebody to head up football operations, with a focus on building a successful NRL team. Separation of these duties is the best path to success IMO.
Don’s got to go mate. It starts from the top

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Pete Cash wrote:I think this is probably appropriate here

https://twitter.com/jackkcronin/status/ ... 74304?s=20

This twitter thread has our choke jobs and close losses since 2015. Its grim read
That hurts, but at least I have a reference point the next time someone says we missed the finals because of dud referee decisions
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:43 am
Northern Raider wrote:In regards to DFJ. I’ve got no problem with him sticking around as CEO and focus on running the club in general. I think we’re pretty solid in that regards e.g. finances, memberships, sponsors etc. Where we need new blood is somebody to head up football operations, with a focus on building a successful NRL team. Separation of these duties is the best path to success IMO.
Don’s got to go mate. It starts from the top

I love simplistic arguments. They’re just so simple. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:45 am
Pete Cash wrote:I think this is probably appropriate here

This twitter thread has our choke jobs and close losses since 2015. Its grim read
That hurts, but at least I have a reference point the next time someone says we missed the finals because of dud referee decisions
The reality is that blowing so many games means you’re more at risk with the odd match where you get dudded by the refs. Win half of these close games and doesn’t matter if you get shafted at Shark Park.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:42 am In regards to DFJ. I’ve got no problem with him sticking around as CEO and focus on running the club in general. I think we’re pretty solid in that regards e.g. finances, memberships, sponsors etc. Where we need new blood is somebody to head up football operations, with a focus on building a successful NRL team. Separation of these duties is the best path to success IMO.
Normally I’d agree
For club with our profile and of our size I think there are parts of the club which are well run

I’ve said before, I don’t think Furner is as bad as many make out. But if we’re sacking the coach and trying to rebuild you can’t half ****
Furner probably isn’t the drooling idiot who can’t turn on a computer like many here think, but also he’s doing a good enough job to justify him surviving any kind of total rebuild

The club is in a desperate need for a totally fresh set of eyes on every aspect of this club. He’s gotta go.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: August 7, 2018, 6:42 am In regards to DFJ. I’ve got no problem with him sticking around as CEO and focus on running the club in general. I think we’re pretty solid in that regards e.g. finances, memberships, sponsors etc. Where we need new blood is somebody to head up football operations, with a focus on building a successful NRL team. Separation of these duties is the best path to success IMO.
Normally I’d agree
For club with our profile and of our size I think there are parts of the club which are well run

I’ve said before, I don’t think Furner is as bad as many make out. But if we’re sacking the coach and trying to rebuild you can’t half ****
Furner probably isn’t the drooling idiot who can’t turn on a computer like many here think, but also he’s doing a good enough job to justify him surviving any kind of total rebuild

The club is in a desperate need for a totally fresh set of eyes on every aspect of this club. He’s gotta go.
Move him to Chairman or something like that and bring in a new CEO

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: August 7, 2018, 7:49 am
Pigman wrote:
Normally I’d agree

Move him to Chairman or something like that and bring in a new CEO

Might be the right path. On face value he appears to have the business nous.

I agree with Pigman, we need a total refresh on the football side of things. My argument is that Don could remain as CEO but be one step removed from the football department. Keep him doing what he's good and an remove him from what he's not been good at. He would have oversight but not as involved operationally. CEO also sits below the Chairman and board so he's still answerable to a higher source.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

As I said, for me, I just want anyone who’s got the job because of their surname or connections for McIntyre/Furner to get the **** out of way, regardless of what they do well or not do well

Clean it right out, it’s the only way forward for this club imo
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There are plenty of people from outside the Raiders club who have no idea what's going on.

Yesterday at work while copping my weekly"how's the Raiders goin"slag this bloke says to me that the players really need to start playing for the coach..@and$? WHAT !!!

I said no the coach needs to pull his head out of his backend and start dropping underperforming players, Paulo, Boyd and Austin have deadset given up. The coach is strangling the life out of the club. "Oh" he's not going that bad says this bloke.

"Really" I said. 2 finals appearances in 10+ years, did you hear Penrith just sacked Griffin about 1hr ago. There's a team sitting comfortably in the top 8, will finish top 8 and have a very good chance of winning a GF. It's 4 weeks till finals and now Penrith have decided that Griffin isn't the man to lead them forward..today..they made that decision today. That's proactive.

Meanwhile down at www.jobs4daboyz.com Ricky Stuart must have incriminating photos of people in high places. No other sporting organisation in the world would allow 5yrs of pure toilet.

"How's Ricky looking now ?" I appreciate your input and you're allowed your opinion but you are way off the mark even suggesting the players aren't having a go for the coach.

This bloke didn't even know Paulo, Boyd and Austin are leaving...that'll do me mate. How's the wife and kids..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: August 7, 2018, 8:22 am Might be the right path. On face value he appears to have the business nous.
Based on what?

Taking an underperforming employee (ie 'failed) and bumping them up into a more senior job just to get rid of them makes no sense whatsoever.

Stuart was a wonderful halfback for us, for NSW and for Australia....probably the best I've ever seen. He has also been a complete and utter failure as a coach. We're all so attached to the memories of the guy that we can't seem to be able to stand to accept reality - he is a failure off the field. I cannot fathom why we would then go and create another position for him.

Thank him for his service, pay him what we owe him and wave both he and DFJ off into the sunset. It's time to grow the hell up and realise that the boys club is not the way to run a football team.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think as many people have pointed out, a successful football team is just not the Raiders Group's number one priority.

If you actually look at our board, these are all very serious and successful people who have had long and productive careers running organisations infinitely more complex than a rugby league team. Compare that to some other clubs (*cough* Parra *cough* Canterbury) whose board has been filled with ex-players over the years. Whilst they may have been more successful on the field, the clubs themselves are much more poorly run and financially less secure.

It's because to the people running the club, the success of the team is secondary to the overall health of the organisation. Whilst as a fan this is absolutely infuriating, because winning football games will never be the priority, from a business perspective it makes rock-solid sense. Especially in a competition like the NRL which has a history of teams running in the red, going broke and needing to be bailed out by the league.

It also goes an awfully long way to explain our roundabout of ex-players as coach. Meninga, Furner, Stuart and Woolford. These guys have been around the club for decades. The board knows who they are, they're seen as a safe option. Why would you not hand them the keys? You can go back to focusing on the financial health of the business whilst someone you trust takes care of the football side of things. And as long as we're not constantly running in the bottom two or three - which we're not - there won't be that much heat from the league because we aren't some embarrassing outlier.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: August 6, 2018, 8:17 pm
Pigman wrote: August 6, 2018, 8:24 pm
kiwi raider wrote: August 6, 2018, 8:17 pm Surely Ivan wouldn’t go back to work under the bloke who punted him?
I wouldnt think so either, but once you're talking about paying me AND my son a **** load of money, we can rebuild a bridge pretty quickly. I dunno, this is sports, i learned a long time ago not to rule anything out

I know this much, the Panthers have to do whatever they can to keep Nathan Cleary at the club. If that means Gould swallowing some pride and surrendering some control and dealing out some fat contracts... Never say never i guess
fair points. Throwing 10 million big ones the cleary’s way over 4-5 years would probably be a good way of smoothing anything over.
I suppose there’s also the possibility that Gould might walk or Move to a different role to make it happen

Stop the fight, this is a Stuart-Raiders situation
Take it as read, Ivan Cleary will be the HC of Penrith for 2019 and beyond.

/Moleman
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Pigman wrote: August 7, 2018, 7:37 am
Normally I’d agree

I'd rather him than Simon Hawkins who, at one time, said something along the lines of crowd numbers being so poor, it was hardly worth opening the gate. No mention of what to do about it in the article, though.

I see that Hook has been sacked by the Panthers despite his record there. C'mon, Don Jnr, help Ricky step aside and create the Community Engagement Manager's role for him to move into and sign him up.It would be nice to steal a few victories from the Panthers.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

T_R wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: August 7, 2018, 8:22 am Might be the right path. On face value he appears to have the business nous.
Based on what?

Taking an underperforming employee (ie 'failed) and bumping them up into a more senior job just to get rid of them makes no sense whatsoever.

Stuart was a wonderful halfback for us, for NSW and for Australia....probably the best I've ever seen. He has also been a complete and utter failure as a coach. We're all so attached to the memories of the guy that we can't seem to be able to stand to accept reality - he is a failure off the field. I cannot fathom why we would then go and create another position for him.

Thank him for his service, pay him what we owe him and wave both he and DFJ off into the sunset. It's time to grow the hell up and realise that the boys club is not the way to run a football team.
I believe it's called promoting to level of incompetence. maybe not in the purest form but yeah I've seen it done successfully

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2018, 10:09 pm Junior Paulo is reported to have been at the game too, but I didn't see him.
:lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: August 7, 2018, 9:21 am
Based on what?

How do you measure performance in this instance? Most seem to point at the failures on the football side of things. No argument there, that’s why I agree he needs to be removed from that aspect and somebody new brought in. As for being “bumped into a more senior role”. That’s not really the case. Chairman of the board has far less operational responsibility for an NRL club than the CEO. Board positions are almost semi retirement for a lot of people.

As I said earlier, our club appears to be very solid outside of the football component. We should be maintaining that if possible. I’d hate to bring in a CEO who’s sole focus is winning premierships but ultimately sends the club broke. If that happened to the Raiders I wouldn’t be expecting the NRL to bail us out like they have for some other clubs. Their response would be “Bad luck Raiders, now how about that Central Coast Bears proposal?”
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Well who wants to talk about Possiboe coach options for 2019 and beyond? I’ve been looking at all the options and I’ve come to the conclusion that Michael McGuire would be the best fit for us. His teams are always rock hard fit and defensively strong. He only fell away at the bunny’s as he didn’t evolve their attack. I think he is what we need at the club, he is hard nosed and would bring in the “no Bull” approach to the team. What’s everyone’s thought?

VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Maguires family still live locally from what i understand

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

LastRaider wrote: August 7, 2018, 11:46 am Well who wants to talk about Possiboe coach options for 2019 and beyond? I’ve been looking at all the options and I’ve come to the conclusion that Michael McGuire would be the best fit for us. His teams are always rock hard fit and defensively strong. He only fell away at the bunny’s as he didn’t evolve their attack. I think he is what we need at the club, he is hard nosed and would bring in the “no Bull” approach to the team. What’s everyone’s thought?

Toovey is another who gets his defence right.

I've had a hard think about Hasler, and I just don't know. He's undoubtedly a great coach, but he made some **** bizarre calls on players at Canterbury. I'm wondering though how much that might have been their board and football department - he didn't seem happy there.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: August 7, 2018, 11:32 am
T_R wrote: August 7, 2018, 9:21 am
Based on what?

How do you measure performance in this instance? Most seem to point at the failures on the football side of things. No argument there, that’s why I agree he needs to be removed from that aspect and somebody new brought in. As for being “bumped into a more senior role”. That’s not really the case. Chairman of the board has far less operational responsibility for an NRL club than the CEO. Board positions are almost semi retirement for a lot of people.

As I said earlier, our club appears to be very solid outside of the football component. We should be maintaining that if possible. I’d hate to bring in a CEO who’s sole focus is winning premierships but ultimately sends the club broke. If that happened to the Raiders I wouldn’t be expecting the NRL to bail us out like they have for some other clubs. Their response would be “Bad luck Raiders, now how about that Central Coast Bears proposal?”
Well, let me turn that around.

In a world of experienced administrators, business people and organisational leaders, why on earth would a retired sportsman and failed coach be the best option to lead the company forward?

I'm also confused. You were talking about Board Chairman, then pivotted the conversation to CEO. What role precisely do you imagine Stuart taking?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
kris-ko
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Papasaurus

Post by kris-ko »

The Green Arrow wrote: August 6, 2018, 9:16 pm
Pete Cash wrote: August 6, 2018, 7:15 pm I think this is probably appropriate here

Hahaha, that would be my thread, cheers for the plug.

Really sinks in when you put them all together like that, and that thread even leaves out a fair few games from 2015-2018 we should've won like Sharks (at home) and Dragons this season, Dogs and Storm last season.

Very grim.
I remembered every reel of the horror show vividly and wish I'd had it on hand to embed when I filed this for The Roar yesterday - https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/07/need-talk-ricky
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Timbo wrote:
LastRaider wrote: August 7, 2018, 11:46 am Well who wants to talk about Possiboe coach options for 2019 and beyond? I’ve been looking at all the options and I’ve come to the conclusion that Michael McGuire would be the best fit for us. His teams are always rock hard fit and defensively strong. He only fell away at the bunny’s as he didn’t evolve their attack. I think he is what we need at the club, he is hard nosed and would bring in the “no Bull” approach to the team. What’s everyone’s thought?

Toovey is another who gets his defence right.

I've had a hard think about Hasler, and I just don't know. He's undoubtedly a great coach, but he made some **** bizarre calls on players at Canterbury. I'm wondering though how much that might have been their board and football department - he didn't seem happy there.
Yeah Toovey and Hasler are very similar in their approach. I think in the end for Hasler at the Bulldogs a lot of his decisions late were driven by appeasing the board. His recruitment up until 9 months before his departure wasn’t that bad.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

VictorTheViking wrote:Maguires family still live locally from what i understand

That’s a good thing, I think or do we need someone completely from the outside?

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hasler's all or nothing recruitment drove 2 clubs into the ground. Be hard to imagine the raiders even entertaining the idea of signing him.
Maguire fits the bill of having had some affiliation with us in the past. Interesting to see what he could do.

Edit:
It's also surprising to see anyone around here actually wanting Hasler. He signed Aaron Woods on a ridiculous deal. Signed the ghost of Foran to a ridiculous deal. Coached the attack out of his side.
Whatever he had, he's no longer got it. If you held up Hasler's recent coaching and recruiting against his past efforts at the Dogs and Manly a concerned onlooker would be recommending a PET scan to see if he's got brain damage.
Last edited by zim on August 7, 2018, 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

These are all pipe dreams. We're stuck with Ricky.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

LastRaider wrote: August 7, 2018, 1:05 pm
VictorTheViking wrote:Maguires family still live locally from what i understand

That’s a good thing, I think or do we need someone completely from the outside?

I think we need someone completely external, but the current powers that be would never allow it.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

I wouldnt mind Maguire but would the NZRL allow him to coach the National Team and an NRL team at the same time???
Perth Based Raiders Fan
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

PerthRaider86 wrote:I wouldnt mind Maguire but would the NZRL allow him to coach the National Team and an NRL team at the same time???
Pretty sure I read he has a get out clause should an NRL club come knocking. It was in an article where his name was thrown up as a possible Griffin replacement. He has a clause, and he has a desire to coach in the NRL again
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How on earth could anyone consider the 2018 Des Hasler a viable option as a coach?
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-l ... ocid=ientp