Post by greeneyed »

2018 Rd 2 V Knights: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights
Sunday 18 March 6:30pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League live Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Very windy. Mostly sunny. Areas of raised dust. Mostly sunny. Winds west to northwesterly 45 to 60 km/h easing to 20 to 30 km/h in the evening. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Min 12 Max 34

Round 1 2018. Gold Coast Titans 30, Canberra Raiders 28. Goundhog Day. It was only the first match of the year, but it felt like we'd seen this all before. A heart breaking, two point loss to the Gold Coast Titans. A match winning try to the opposition in the final three minutes. It equalled the Titans' biggest ever comeback win. Canberra led by 18-0 after a blistering opening 10 minutes or so... and had an opportunity to go to a 24-0 on the quarter hour mark. At one stage in the first half, Canberra led by 24-6. But lack of completions and ill discipline saw the Raiders throw away the match.

More on Round 1: As I saw it

The Raiders play their first home match of the season in Round 2, against the new and improved Newcastle Knights. Canberra Raiders second rower Joseph Tapine is out with a broken thumb, with Elliott Whitehead moving to the second row and Luke Bateman starting at lock. After last weekend's late changes, Sam Williams and Blake Austin have retained their starting spots in the halves, with Aidan Sezer named on the bench. In addition, Sia Soliola will start at prop, with Junior Paulo on the bench. Charlie Gubb comes into the top 17, while Jack Murchie has been added to the reserves list.

The Newcastle Knights have named an unchanged line up.

Late changes: Craig Garvey, Royce Hunt and Jack Murchie playing for Mounties this afternoon. Michael Oldfield is the 18th man for the Raiders. For the Knights, Ken Sio and Danny Levi played NSW Premiership today. Jamie Buher (foot) has also been omitted.

Matt's Match-ups: Which players and team win the skins?

History: Canberra has a good overall record against Newcastle, winning 27 of 48 games, with two draws. The recent record is fairly strong as well, winning six and drawing one match in the last 10 clashes. In 2017, the Raiders suffered an embarrassing 34-20 loss in Round 10 at Hunter Stadium - to a team that would win just five matches all season. Canberra turned it around at home, winning 46-28 in Round 25. But by then, the season was pretty much over for the Green Machine. The Raiders have won 18 of 24 matches at Canberra Stadium, and drawn one. Canberra has won four of the last five games played at the venue.

Form: The Raiders lost their opening match of 2018, while the Knights were first up winners in golden point, defeating the Manly Sea Eagles 19-18, courtesy of a Mitchell Pearce field goal in the 88th minute. The Raiders are on a WLWLL form line in their past five, while the Knights have a WLLLW record. However, the Knights of 2018 are a different team.

Betting: The Raiders are favoured to win, paying $1.72, while the a Knights win is paying $2.19. The Knights have 2.5 points start in the line betting.

Our tip: I would not have been surprised to see the Knights installed as favourites to win, given the Round 1 results. The arrival of Mitchell Pearce and Kalyn Ponga has added some much needed spark in Newcastle's play making roles. And new five eighth Connor Watson and new hooker Slade Griffin are no slouches either. The Knights have recruited well and they'll be tough propositions for any team to beat.

The Raiders meanwhile, will be dealing with the emotional let down of the loss to the Titans... and the loss of second rower Joe Tapine (thumb). Not to mention the continued challenge of covering for the loss of hooker Josh Hodgson to an ACL injury. Siliva Havili impressed at hooker in a short stint on the Gold Coast, but his fitness levels are still building. He cannot handle much more than 40 minutes at this stage, and a lot is being asked of half Aidan Sezer to fill in at hooker from the bench. If the Raiders perform like they did in the first 20 minutes against the Titans... even for 60-70 minutes, they should win. They looked like a top four team for those 20 minutes. In addition, the Raiders have a clear home ground advantage here. The trouble is, matches last 80 minutes. Canberra will need to put in a much more consistent performance - and not concede silly turnovers and repeat sets - if they're to take the two competition points.

Anything could happen in this one... but if I'm tipping on form, the head says the Knights by four. The heart is hoping for a very different result.

What they're saying:

Sia Soliola on this week's opposition: "They were really impressive last week so it's going to be tough. I think it will go down to the wire because they looked impressive with all of the little things they were doing. You could see the excitement, the energy they have not just on the football field and the support off the field, so it's going to be a tough ask for us, but we are all really looking forward to the challenge."

Siliva Havili: "It's up to Stick the way he plays me, he's the coach of course. But for myself I want to play more minutes and get used to the pace of the NRL. The more games I do play I do think I'll get used to it and get that match fitness. That's the goal, just to keep playing as many minutes as I can."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Sia Soliola
9. Siliva Havili
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Josh Papalii
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Luke Bateman

14. Aidan Sezer
15. Junior Paulo
16. Dunamis Lui
17. Charlie Gubb

18. Craig Garvey
19. Michael Oldfield
20. Royce Hunt
21. Jack Murchie

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
3. Sione Mata’utia
4. Tautau Moga
5. Nathan Ross
6. Connor Watson
7. Mitchell Pearce (C)
8. Herman Ese’ese
9. Slade Griffin
10. Jacob Lillyman
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Aidan Guerra
13. Mitch Barnett

14. Brock Lamb
15. Chris Heighington
16. Jamie Buhrer (C)
17. Daniel Saifiti

18. Ken Sio
19. Jacob Saifiti
20. Danny Levi
21. Luke Yates

Officials:

Referees: Ashley Klein, Matt Noyen
Sideline Officials: Ricky MacFarlane, Belinda Sleeman
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersKnights
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2018 Rd 2 V Knights: Game Day

Post by Green thumbs »

Did anyone else pre-purchase parking for the season?
We got an invoice, but no link to print off tickets.
Can anyone help? Thanks!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Would be in your membership portal I'd think, where you can print tickets

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/canber ... count/home
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Thanks TW. The parking tickets were done through Eventbrite.
They just supply one invoice which seems to be a ticket as well.
There are no individual tickets for each home game. Im sure this create havoc with the people collecting parking money. I’ll be they havent been warned about this.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Craig Garvey, Royce Hunt and Jack Murchie playing for Mounties this afternoon. Oldfield won't take his place for Mounties.

For the Knights, Ken Sio and Danny Levi played NSW Premiership today. Jamie Buher (foot) has also been omitted.

Mounties line up: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=1570840#p1570840
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Hearing no Rapana at the captains run, Oldfield was there though.
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Oldfield 18th man, Rapana will play.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

greeneyed wrote:Oldfield 18th man, Rapana will play.
THANK GOD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

El_Capitano wrote: March 17, 2018, 8:43 pm
greeneyed wrote:Oldfield 18th man, Rapana will play.
THANK GOD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:hmmm That makes a lot of sense.
WorkChoice
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Here we go again.

Start well, lead all game, fall asleep, get beat..

Surely not this time..come on boys...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

With the way the ladder is at the moment this is a big game... teams like the Warriors and Tigers having 4 points and us losing is giving them a good start

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day who cares, another Sunday night game means no beer.

Cute girl at the hamburger place yesterday, nice.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!! Go the Raiders!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

So 18th man is a winger , and apparently no rapana in captains run, thats not good at all, need to know by manly game for supercoach reasons if Rapana is out
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: March 18, 2018, 5:38 am Here we go again.

Start well, lead all game, fall asleep, get beat..

Surely not this time..come on boys...
We’re not Robinson Crusoe there. Losing after a dominat early lead is becoming a trend in the NRL this season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

So is it worth my getting up at 4.30am to watch this game, or are they just going to put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Option 2 I fear
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

:(

I think you're right.

But like an idiot I'm still going to get up before dawn to watch it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Am I hearing right, that Mick Ennis will be leading the Viking clap today?
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

And then a spot of crowd surfing according to yesterday’s commentary team
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I think Ennis was embarrassed by that entire dialogue with Voss.

It's 12:30pm and there is still 6 hours until kick off. This is excruciating.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

And a dust storm just rolled in

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Junior
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by Junior »

Win Lose or Draw a consistent game from the Raiders is what I'm looking for.
Be consistently good/great or bad/terrible.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Very windy at the moment with some real strong gusts coming out of nowhere. Could be a tough night for kickers if it keeps up.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:And a dust storm just rolled in

Black mountain is orange
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote:
cat wrote:And a dust storm just rolled in

Black mountain is orange
Its a little eerie! Feels a bit doomsdayish! 5hrs to go and i am not feeling confident!

Vaccinated
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Green eyed Mick wrote: March 18, 2018, 11:56 am Very windy at the moment with some real strong gusts coming out of nowhere. Could be a tough night for kickers if it keeps up.
I was just thinking this.

It's combination dust storm and burn-off smoke.

I think this could be a little like one of our games last year where the kickers couldn't kick anything because the wind was that insane. I can't remember who, I think maybe Manly? I remember watching the goalposts swaying in the wind.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Winds are supposed to die down by tonight. This feels like the longest day ever!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The BOM radar is also confusing me at the moment - perhaps the radar is picking up the dust and smoke? Because at the moment there are speckles of dark red (heavy rain) but not in the usual patterns as if it was going to rain properly. Maybe bring an umbrella just in case.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BOM says zero chance of rain.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Gratuitous self promotion but if you’re heading out to GIO Stadium to cheer on the Raiders swing past and say hi to the boys and maybe grab a fried chicken burger!! Southern end of the stadium, orange food van on ‘The Slab’ (Tapatalk wouldn’t let me share the photo so go to https://www.facebook.com/SoulCartelCBR/)
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Brewdle wrote:Gratuitous self promotion but if you’re heading out to Canberra Stadium to cheer on the Raiders swing past and say hi to the boys and maybe grab a fried chicken burger!! Southern end of the stadium, orange food van on ‘The Slab’ (Tapatalk wouldn’t let me share the photo so go to https://www.facebook.com/SoulCartelCBR/)
Got eftpos mate or cash only?
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

-GD- wrote:
Brewdle wrote:Gratuitous self promotion but if you’re heading out to Canberra Stadium to cheer on the Raiders swing past and say hi to the boys and maybe grab a fried chicken burger!! Southern end of the stadium, orange food van on ‘The Slab’ (Tapatalk wouldn’t let me share the photo so go to https://www.facebook.com/SoulCartelCBR/)
Got eftpos mate or cash only?
EFTPOS up and running mate
Surlyraider
Simon Woolford
Location: "If you don't like Canberra, f&#! off back where you came from"

Post by Surlyraider »

greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2018, 1:09 pm Winds are supposed to die down by tonight. This feels like the longest day ever!
I'm about 6k's from the stadium and the winds have died down a lot. Still some wind but nowhere near as bad as during the day.
"I'm the white Larry Bird"
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Geez that wasn't a bad try Lachlan Croker scored before halftime for the eagles.