Drop Bateman, pick replacement at random
Wighton to Lock
Cotric to fullback
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2018 Rd 2 V Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by BadnMean »

Crusader wrote: March 12, 2018, 2:32 pm we lost when havilli came off and sezer cam in and faded out williams, this team needs a new halves combo, austin is a hog and overrated sezer just doesnt have it anymore, while its early we need to try hingano, also i am soo over boyd he is not first grade standard at all, this is his peak, lui and bateman seriously offer nothing, hunt needs a run and makatoa, stick will name the exact same team.
What game did you watch? Boyd had a pretty big game. Did a props work no doubt.

Lui- who i expected nothing from given his comeback actually had enough toe to be that mobile prop who eats 10m easy just with foot speed. He'll be ok this year. Didn't see him dropping balls or missing tackles from memory.

Havilli was good. That's a positive. Get him out there for 50 mins+ next game.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

*assuming Tapine is out

1. Wighton

2. Cotric

3. Croker

4. Leilua

5. Rapana

6. Sezer

7. Williams

8. Boyd (if he plays all season like he did last night he could get that AUS jumper back)

9. Havili

10. Gubb

11. Papalii

12. Soliola

13. Whitehead

14. Garvey (assuming Havili can’t play 80 mins, if he can, Garvey out, Austin in. Not keen on Austin at the moment but as an impact player he could be better I guess)

15. Hunt

16. Paulo

17. Makatoa

I loved Bateman in 2016. Thought he had a huge future but he just doesn’t seem to offer anything anymore :/ needs to kill it in Mounties for a few weeks before he gets back in.

I don’t see why Lui is being kicked in everyone’s teams? He’s too small for an impact prop, has decent speed for a prop I guess but doesn’t bend the line at all. Just runs up to the line, gets put down immediately with no post contact metres on his back and never attempts to get up for a quick PTB.

Tapine will be sorely missed. He was great last night. If he were to play, Soliola to the start at prop and Makatoa/Gubb 18th man, not fussed which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders great Alan Tongue says less is more in early rounds of NRL

Less is more. That's the message from Raiders great Alan Tongue after Canberra opened its season with a frustrating 30-28 loss against the Gold Coast Titans on Sunday.

"First game of the year it comes down to controlling possession and how you use the ball. Looking through all of the weekend results and the teams that did that best went on to win," Tongue said. "You've still got to play footy but teams need to simplify things to win in the opening rounds and build their way into the season."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0xc49.html
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

That’s great Tonguey but I don’t think our team has the mental capacity to do the simple things like hold the ball, repeat sets, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Wighton
Cotric
Croker
Leilua (christ pull your head in)
Rapana
Sezer
Williams
Gubb
Havili
Boyd
Papalii
Soliola
Whitehead

Garvey
Paulo
Knight
Murchie (to spell soliola at the back end of the first half and first bit of the second half)

Austin on the bench wont work, and when williams was last here we looked far better with he and sezer in the halves
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Danaman137 wrote: March 12, 2018, 5:39 pm

I don’t see why Lui is being kicked in everyone’s teams? He’s too small for an impact prop, has decent speed for a prop I guess but doesn’t bend the line at all. Just runs up to the line, gets put down immediately with no post contact metres on his back and never attempts to get up for a quick PTB.
Fair enough, he's not huge. But I just think with our other props being whoppers, I like a mobile one in the mix who can gobble up 10 easy yards and move sideways. Remember he's 1 game back from a knee reco and actually played some good games last year. Worth a look.

I saw some quick pub but maybe I missed some others ?
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

How long is Tapine out?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

TBA, depends how his thumb pulls up
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Assessed to play this week...I reckon he will play
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Sezer should never play again.

For the love of god, drop him!!
CRR

Post by CRR »

Dead set if sezer is in the team again this week im bloody done.

Sticky is a bloody fruit loop
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He'll be named, and you'll be back
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

Same team except

12. Whitehead
13. Soliola
Random bench number. Gubb

It's not time to panic yet, and start moving whighton to prop and Paps to half back :D
Long time creeper....... First time poster
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

My problem with Austin is he shouldn't be allowed to kick on the last when we're in good field position. But the problem then is who does? The ball always ends up with him. Sezer and Williams were rarely in position for it last night. Stuff like that needs to be sorted

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The people ripping into Aidan... and I admit, I don't think he played well at hooker... and my player rating this week reflected that... but it is not his position. He's trying to do his best for the team to fill a role he's never played before in his life.

The bottom line is this... Havili played much, much better in Round 1 than the trial. I felt Sezer showed more in the trial than Havili. That didn't prove to be the case in match conditions. So, I'm in the camp of bringing Garvey in, and putting our best two halves on the field for the entire game.
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

I like Sezer but not as a hooker obviously. I liked an earlier suggestion of Sezer at 5/8. He's good at taking the line on and a decent kicker as long as he gets himself in position. I'd like to see this team this week:

1. Wighton
2. Croker
3. Cotric
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Sezer
7. Williams
8. Boyd
9. Havili
10. Gubb
11. Papalii
12. Soliola
13. Whitehead

14. Austin
15. Paulo
16. Murchie
17. Lui/Knight/Someone

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

CJR wrote: March 12, 2018, 8:49 pm My problem with Austin is he shouldn't be allowed to kick on the last when we're in good field position. But the problem then is who does? The ball always ends up with him. Sezer and Williams were rarely in position for it last night. Stuff like that needs to be sorted

Austins cross field kick led directly to the Leilua try.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: March 12, 2018, 8:51 pm The people ripping into Aidan... and I admit, I don't think he played well at hooker... and my player rating this week reflected that... but it is not his position. He's trying to do his best for the team to fill a role he's never played before in his life.

The bottom line is this... Havili played much, much better in Round 1 than the trial. I felt Sezer showed more in the trial than Havili. That didn't prove to be the case in match conditions. So, I'm in the camp of bringing Garvey in, and putting our best two halves on the field for the entire game.
If Sezer was our best halfback he would have been playing halfback.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I love all the halves... but Aidan has clearly been made the "odd man out" as he is the best option to cover hooker. In game conditions, it looks like it isn't really working so far. That's why I've said we need more than one trial. And I think I've been proven correct. But to conclude after one match that Aidan doesn't deserve a place in the top two halves after one match... that's harsh.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

boppa wrote: March 12, 2018, 7:30 pm
Love4Noa wrote: March 12, 2018, 6:57 pm Sezer should never play again.

For the love of god, drop him!!
Agree.
All these people dropping Austin are mad. Sezer offers nothing at all. No repeat sets, no direction, no composure and has played 1 decent game since he got here! We have a capable running 6 in Austin and we lack an on field general. I don't know who it is, but dropping Blake fixes nothing. We need a top shelf 7, that will be the first step in the right direction. I can't be bothered looking at stats but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Sezer has had the least forced repeat sets over the 16,17 season and probably the least try assists and line break assists. All the things a 7 should be good at.
It amazes me how anybody thinks dropping Austin is going to fix such a weakness in our team.
You might find one player below Sezer in all those stats is Austin. You laud Austin as a capable running 6 yet he only had 1 run for 10m yesterday. Sezer came off the bench and played hooker for the 1st time in his NRL career. Austin played in the halves for the full 80 mins. If you are unhappy with the way our halves played then you really should be directing your criticism at them.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
CJR
Brett Mullins

2018 Rd 2 V Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by CJR »

Coastalraider wrote:
CJR wrote: March 12, 2018, 8:49 pm My problem with Austin is he shouldn't be allowed to kick on the last when we're in good field position. But the problem then is who does? The ball always ends up with him. Sezer and Williams were rarely in position for it last night. Stuff like that needs to be sorted

Austins cross field kick led directly to the Leilua try.
I love how it comes off once and that's evidence he should keep doing it or something. How many tries did his kicks lead to last year? Or even 2016?

Edit: and repeat sets? And general good field position? I'm not saying Sezer is a god at it or anything but the man kicked a couple of 40/20s last year which is more than I've seen Austin do. The man is excellent at line drop outs and generally kicking it far but we should be letting Sezer/Williams/Hodgson do the other stuff

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

And you’d reckon Sezer would know that. But on the last with the game in the balance he passes to Austin who grubbers into Titans, instead of Williams who was looking to bomb for Leipana...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Hodgson's new role in Canberra Raiders coaching ranks

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart may have lost a world class rake, but he's gained a useful right hand man with injured hooker Josh Hodgson a constant on-field presence during ball-work sessions.

"He's pretty much another coach at training, not only to us as dummy-halves, but the whole team in general actually," Havili said. "As a leader, that's what he does. The boys give him stick and ask him if he's got his coaching certificate and that because he's always out there on the paddock adding his voice to the mix and trying to help however he can.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/13/jos ... ing-ranks/

Huawei Battle of the Codes: Ball Dribble: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... l-dribble/
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Can he take over? If not can Mal as he moved back to Canberra last year
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2018, 6:37 am Josh Hodgson's new role in Canberra Raiders coaching ranks

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart may have lost a world class rake, but he's gained a useful right hand man with injured hooker Josh Hodgson a constant on-field presence during ball-work sessions.

"He's pretty much another coach at training, not only to us as dummy-halves, but the whole team in general actually," Havili said. "As a leader, that's what he does. The boys give him stick and ask him if he's got his coaching certificate and that because he's always out there on the paddock adding his voice to the mix and trying to help however he can.

Oh great..we have a back up coach to roast...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: March 13, 2018, 7:16 am
greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2018, 6:37 am Josh Hodgson's new role in Canberra Raiders coaching ranks

Oh great..we have a back up coach to roast...
Sack Hodgo!!!
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

How does BJ get an auto slot in most people's teams.

1. He does score some tries and can be destructive, once a game?

2. He does give away penalties and dumb plays like swatting at balls tjat often lead to tries on tje following set.

I'd be happy to swap him for Jack Wighton, he is as strong and not as dumb. (Ok, it's not chalk and cheese)
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Fair call Johno, maybe because everyone know Ricky won't drop him so its a moot point...
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

If Ricky persists with this Sezer at Hooker thing I’ll put the cue in the rack very early this season. It’s a train wreck, you can tell he isn’t happy. Either Austin or Sezer at 5/8 to partner Williams and Garvey on the bench.

But I know arrogant Ricky won’t change it.

In Ricky We Trust
CRR

Post by CRR »

Brew wrote: March 13, 2018, 8:41 am If Ricky persists with this Sezer at Hooker thing I’ll put the cue in the rack very early this season. It’s a train wreck, you can tell he isn’t happy. Either Austin or Sezer at 5/8 to partner Williams and Garvey on the bench.

But I know arrogant Ricky won’t change it.

im still bewildered by the reason he was put in the hooker role. What kind of under 6 team and coach are we supporting?

its like at work going, hi yeah ill take over the Operations Manager role for a week even though im just a ****kicker just to help the team out. The whole thing would collapse and serious questions would be asked
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Historically we are pretty bad after a loss like the one against the titans. I'm hoping for a competitive game but I think Ponga with Watson at hooker are going to give our big boys a touch up.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

I think we will destroy them... we were embarrassed, everyone is saying "Canberra cant close out" well we are going to show them. Bring back highway to hell...
How soon IS now?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If we lose this game we will have opened our season losing to the bottom placed and second bottom placed team from the previous year.

IMO we move to wooden spoon bottom four type discussion. Put simply, if the knights and titans beat us anyone can and will beat us.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

visited my gp today.he has doubled my blood pressure meds