Knights 13+
37%

Total votes: 35

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2018 Rd 2 V Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by dubby »

Boys, we're going to see the same team except maybe Tapi.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

when hodgo comes back i would be tempted give him a shot at 7. current halves have had enough time.theres nobody off contract worth chasing.havili has great potential.giving hodgo a crack at hb cant be any worse than what we have suffered through recently
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Post by MS_1302 »

No way Stick will be making any wholesale changes, same squad bar injuries. Garvey will get a shot soon enough as a utility the way he played for mounties
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Paul Kent on NRL360 says Leilua should introduce himself to the reserve grade coach. I think he's right

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

I'm gonna put $20 on Joey to score a hat trick this weekend, and maybe get sin binned, i think he'll be fired up.
How soon IS now?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

El_Capitano wrote: March 13, 2018, 11:39 am I think we will destroy them... we were embarrassed, everyone is saying "Canberra cant close out" well we are going to show them. Bring back highway to hell...
Previously I would have thought that but after being embarrassed at different points last year we just did more embarrassing stuff. Would love for that to change.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

El_Capitano wrote:I'm gonna put $20 on Joey to score a hat trick this weekend, and maybe get sin binned, i think he'll be fired up.
My problem is he is lazy and loose cannon 90% of the time but the other 10% where he comes up with brilliant passes and scores tries is the only thing keeping him in the team.

I know Ricky isn't ever going to change but he needs to send BJ away from first grade for a while and fix that 90%.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

boppa wrote: March 13, 2018, 11:54 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 12, 2018, 10:30 pm
boppa wrote: March 12, 2018, 7:30 pm
Love4Noa wrote: March 12, 2018, 6:57 pm Sezer should never play again.

For the love of god, drop him!!
Agree.
All these people dropping Austin are mad. Sezer offers nothing at all. No repeat sets, no direction, no composure and has played 1 decent game since he got here! We have a capable running 6 in Austin and we lack an on field general. I don't know who it is, but dropping Blake fixes nothing. We need a top shelf 7, that will be the first step in the right direction. I can't be bothered looking at stats but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Sezer has had the least forced repeat sets over the 16,17 season and probably the least try assists and line break assists. All the things a 7 should be good at.
It amazes me how anybody thinks dropping Austin is going to fix such a weakness in our team.
You might find one player below Sezer in all those stats is Austin. You laud Austin as a capable running 6 yet he only had 1 run for 10m yesterday. Sezer came off the bench and played hooker for the 1st time in his NRL career. Austin played in the halves for the full 80 mins. If you are unhappy with the way our halves played then you really should be directing your criticism at them.
First thing Austin isn't a 7.
So to compare him with all the other halfbacks in the comp is irrelevant.
Second, absolutely he was poor against the titans. 1 run isn't good enough but if you read my how much is Blake worth thread then maybe it will make sense as to why he seems deflated and I agree with you he isn't an organising half that should be kicking or setting up tried. The funny thing is he gave the pass to Wighton that led to a try and kicked for BJ that resulted in a try. He basically is playing a role that isn't to his strengths. I'm not arguing with you, we all have a our favourite but if you pin the performances and stats between the 2 over the time they've been here. It's a no contest.
Sezer has been an epic fail. Anyone arguing that is blind.
When they they play split halve the number on their back is largely irrelevant. To be honest I don't think split halves works at all well for us, particularly with Williams/Austin combo which is more the old school 1st and 2nd receiver.

Names of players aside your criticisms are directed at the play of the halves yet you think dropping the bench hooker is the solution. Thats what I disagree with. Personally I would rather see Sticky revert to his original selections of Williams/Sezer in the halves and have Austin to provide impact off the bench. Sezer can spell Havili when needed but Havili needs to stay on longer. As for Sezer's play at hooker, he was pretty ordinary but I'm not about to pass judgement on somebody's first attempt at a new position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

Northern Raider wrote: March 13, 2018, 1:28 pm
boppa wrote: March 13, 2018, 11:54 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 12, 2018, 10:30 pm
boppa wrote: March 12, 2018, 7:30 pm
Love4Noa wrote: March 12, 2018, 6:57 pm Sezer should never play again.

For the love of god, drop him!!
Agree.
All these people dropping Austin are mad. Sezer offers nothing at all. No repeat sets, no direction, no composure and has played 1 decent game since he got here! We have a capable running 6 in Austin and we lack an on field general. I don't know who it is, but dropping Blake fixes nothing. We need a top shelf 7, that will be the first step in the right direction. I can't be bothered looking at stats but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Sezer has had the least forced repeat sets over the 16,17 season and probably the least try assists and line break assists. All the things a 7 should be good at.
It amazes me how anybody thinks dropping Austin is going to fix such a weakness in our team.
You might find one player below Sezer in all those stats is Austin. You laud Austin as a capable running 6 yet he only had 1 run for 10m yesterday. Sezer came off the bench and played hooker for the 1st time in his NRL career. Austin played in the halves for the full 80 mins. If you are unhappy with the way our halves played then you really should be directing your criticism at them.
First thing Austin isn't a 7.
So to compare him with all the other halfbacks in the comp is irrelevant.
Second, absolutely he was poor against the titans. 1 run isn't good enough but if you read my how much is Blake worth thread then maybe it will make sense as to why he seems deflated and I agree with you he isn't an organising half that should be kicking or setting up tried. The funny thing is he gave the pass to Wighton that led to a try and kicked for BJ that resulted in a try. He basically is playing a role that isn't to his strengths. I'm not arguing with you, we all have a our favourite but if you pin the performances and stats between the 2 over the time they've been here. It's a no contest.
Sezer has been an epic fail. Anyone arguing that is blind.
When they they play split halve the number on their back is largely irrelevant. To be honest I don't think split halves works at all well for us, particularly with Williams/Austin combo which is more the old school 1st and 2nd receiver.

Names of players aside your criticisms are directed at the play of the halves yet you think dropping the bench hooker is the solution. Thats what I disagree with. Personally I would rather see Sticky revert to his original selections of Williams/Sezer in the halves and have Austin to provide impact off the bench. Sezer can spell Havili when needed but Havili needs to stay on longer. As for Sezer's play at hooker, he was pretty ordinary but I'm not about to pass judgement on somebody's first attempt at a new position.
Well said!
How soon IS now?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

CJR wrote: March 13, 2018, 12:22 pm Paul Kent on NRL360 says Leilua should introduce himself to the reserve grade coach. I think he's right
The footage they show of his effort makes for angry viewing. I know one play doesn't lose a match but **** me it was a **** one for so many reasons.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

We signed inconsistent players.

Austin.
Leilua.
Williams.

These guys are talented but infuriating

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Team: Raiders V Knights

Charlie Gubb is set to make his Raiders NRL debut this weekend, after he was named on the bench for the Raiders round two match against the Newcastle Knights at GIO Stadium on Sunday evening.

Gubb comes into the 17, with Joe Tapine ruled out with a thumb injury he sustained against the Titans. Tapine will be assessed weekly as he looks to make a return from a dislocation of the left thumb.

The injury to Tapine has forced a reshuffle of the Raiders starting side, with Elliott Whitehead shifting to the second row and Luke Bateman named at lock.

Blake Austin has been named at five-eighth, Sam Williams at halfback and Aidan Sezer on the bench, with Coach Ricky Stuart settling on the same halves combination he used in round one.

Sia Soliola will start the match in the front row again this Sunday, with Junior Paulo coming from the bench.

Craig Garvey, Michael Oldfield, Royce Hunt and Jack Murchie have been named as reserves on the extended bench.

CANBERRA RAIDERS V NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
SUNDAY MARCH 18, 6.30PM, GIO STADIUM

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Sia Soliola
9. Siliva Havili
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Josh Papalii
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Luke Bateman

14. Aidan Sezer
15. Junior Paulo
16. Dunamis Lui
17. Charlie Gubb
18. Craig Garvey
19. Michael Oldfield
20. Royce Hunt
21. Jack Murchie

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
3. Sione Mata’utia
4. Tautau Moga
5. Nathan Ross
6. Connor Watson
7. Mitchell Pearce (c)
8. Herman Ese’ese
9. Slade Griffin
10. Jacob Lillyman
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Aidan Guerra
13. Mitch Barnett

14. Brock Lamb
15. Chris Heighington
16. Jamie Buhrer (c)
17. Daniel Saifiti

18. Ken Sio
19. Jacob Saifiti
20. Danny Levi
21. Luke Yates

Canberra Raiders media

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
edwahu

Re: 2018 Rd 2 V Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by edwahu »

Has there ever been a player persisted with as long as Bateman and who has had so many opportunities without showing much at all (Mcrone and Buttriss I suppose)? Seriously, we could have TPJ there if we just gave him the same chances, or Barnett who got 2 games and was dropped forever because he missed a tackle.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: March 13, 2018, 3:06 pm Has there ever been a player persisted with as long as Bateman and who has had so many opportunities without showing much at all (Mcrone and Buttriss I suppose)? Seriously, we could have TPJ there if we just gave him the same chances, or Barnett who got 2 games and was dropped forever because he missed a tackle.
No. TPJ in particular called Bennett long before he was out the door. You don't get opportunity when that happens. Barnett maybe... probably. But he was never going to get a run with us as he was with newcastle. We could (should) have done more there.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

edwahu wrote:Has there ever been a player persisted with as long as Bateman and who has had so many opportunities without showing much at all (Mcrone and Buttriss I suppose)? Seriously, we could have TPJ there if we just gave him the same chances, or Barnett who got 2 games and was dropped forever because he missed a tackle.
It’s concerning. Seems like a nice bloke but god he is a below average footballer.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Abbey must be injured. He's not listed on any team sheets. Mounties play at 3pm saturday so we should have a good idea if there is a switch planned.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

zim wrote: March 13, 2018, 3:21 pm Abbey must be injured. He's not listed on any team sheets. Mounties play at 3pm saturday so we should have a good idea if there is a switch planned.
they can't play anyone not listed in the 21, so Abbey must be injured...
How soon IS now?
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

zim wrote:Abbey must be injured. He's not listed on any team sheets. Mounties play at 3pm saturday so we should have a good idea if there is a switch planned.
Haha wishful thinking!

In Ricky We Trust
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Rick wrote:
edwahu wrote:Has there ever been a player persisted with as long as Bateman and who has had so many opportunities without showing much at all (Mcrone and Buttriss I suppose)? Seriously, we could have TPJ there if we just gave him the same chances, or Barnett who got 2 games and was dropped forever because he missed a tackle.
It’s concerning. Seems like a nice bloke but god he is a below average footballer.

Wish we kept Fenno instead of Bateman. Surly Hunt should get a run over Bateman soon?!

In Ricky We Trust
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

zim wrote: March 13, 2018, 3:14 pm
edwahu wrote: March 13, 2018, 3:06 pm Has there ever been a player persisted with as long as Bateman and who has had so many opportunities without showing much at all (Mcrone and Buttriss I suppose)? Seriously, we could have TPJ there if we just gave him the same chances, or Barnett who got 2 games and was dropped forever because he missed a tackle.
No. TPJ in particular called Bennett long before he was out the door. You don't get opportunity when that happens. Barnett maybe... probably. But he was never going to get a run with us as he was with newcastle. We could (should) have done more there.
TPJ jumped on the phone after he got annoyed he couldn't crack a run in 2015 after Bateman got half a dozen games and we hadn't given him an indication he would in 2016 . He really should have, even if it would've taken a year or two for him to get up to decent fitness. Now Brisbane have the gun he was always going to be.

As you said with Barnett was never going to get a run with us like he did at Newcastle, but giving him the same run as Bateman would've kept him and he would probably be the starting lock now.

Even Mark Nicholls and Fensom as a benchie would've been a better keep in my opinion.
Last edited by edwahu on March 13, 2018, 3:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Every coach has their annoying favourite: Elliott with Howell, Furner with McCrone... Ricky's is Bateman. He wouldn't make even the bench of any other NRL team

How we play him, yet offload Vaughan and Barnett, demands explanation really
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

These are things we've all been through before.
CRR

Post by CRR »

CRR wrote: March 12, 2018, 7:52 pm Dead set if sezer is in the team again this week im bloody done.

Sticky is a bloody fruit loop
see ya everyone. im going to keep myself sane this weekend.

p.s sticky needs to go to a mental institution.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Ricky will probably shuffle it around so that Soliola starts at 12 or 13 and either Gubb or Paulo start. I really don't think it will be Bateman.

Poor old Nathan Brown won't know what's hit him. He'll be furious that he spent an entire week at training targeting our edge defence only to get our team sheet an hour before kick off and realise that he has to shake everything up now.

You're not in Huddersfield no more, Browny!
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

CRR wrote:
CRR wrote: March 12, 2018, 7:52 pm Dead set if sezer is in the team again this week im bloody done.

Sticky is a bloody fruit loop
see ya everyone. im going to keep myself sane this weekend.

p.s sticky needs to go to a mental institution.
K bye
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Austin given the #6

-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

13. Luke Bateman
Lol
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: March 13, 2018, 3:32 pm
zim wrote: March 13, 2018, 3:14 pm
TPJ jumped on the phone after he got annoyed he couldn't crack a run in 2015 after Bateman got half a dozen games and we hadn't given him an indication he would in 2016 . He really should have, even if it would've taken a year or two for him to get up to decent fitness. Now Brisbane have the gun he was always going to be.

As you said with Barnett was never going to get a run with us like he did at Newcastle, but giving him the same run as Bateman would've kept him and he would probably be the starting lock now.

Even Mark Nicholls and Fensom as a benchie would've been a better keep in my opinion.
Agree to disagree on TPJ then. Don't want to get stuck in a circular recruitment argument about why a player left in 2016.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hit 17,000 members for 2018

The Canberra Raiders will commence their 2018 home season this Sunday night by celebrating with their members as part of the club’s annual member recognition round. Just over 17,000 members have signed on to join the club in 2018, as the club strives to hit 20,000 members for the first time in club history.

Sunday’s match is an opportunity for the club to recognise their membership base and will conduct over 60-member specific activations for the match against the Knights.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... ion-round/
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Bateman is the 2018 buttriss only not as good
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: March 13, 2018, 3:36 pm Every coach has their annoying favourite: Elliott with Howell, Furner with McCrone... Ricky's is Bateman. He wouldn't make even the bench of any other NRL team

How we play him, yet offload Vaughan and Barnett, demands explanation really
Bateman gets through plenty of defense and is OK on the occasional hit up. Problem is if he's going to play this type of role he needs to be on the field longer so you can keep rotating the big men. It simply doesn't work when he's part of your middle 3rd rotation where players are getting equal stints. Sticky should either use him as the defensive workhorse or leave him out completely. If his physical conditioning means he's not up to the workhorse role then he can be a full time Mounties player.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL: Charlie Gubb to make his Canberra Raiders debut against Newcastle Knights

Raiders coach Stuart has called Charlie Gubb into his 17-man squad to face an unchanged Newcastle Knights side at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

"He brings a lot of energy. That's one of the things he's admired for by a lot of the players and especially a lot of the fans back home in New Zealand," Sia Soliola said. "It's just his efforts and his energy that he brings, whether he'll be starting or he's off the bench, that's what he's done here. He's a character, he's definitely one of the highlights of the day when you come into training.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0xdu8.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL: A text from Josh Hodgson reinforced Canberra Raiders hooker Siliva Havili's self-belief

A text from Josh Hodgson reinforced the belief new Canberra Raiders hooker Siliva Havili always had in himself.

"Throughout the pre-season [Hodgson] has just been giving me a lot of tips," Havili said. "He sent me a text when I was on the Gold Coast, saying to just be confident and do the little things right in what I need to do. Hodgo has always got words for me for how to improve and a lot of things I can improve on.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0xdue.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders will hit back after heart-breaking loss: Sia Soliola

Canberra Raiders forward Iosia Soliola has backed the club's pack to step up in the absence of the injured Joseph Tapine.

"We missed him when he came off, but it's quite nice we've got somebody like Elliott Whitehead who started his career in the back row where he plays for England, so I assume he'll just slip straight in there. Obviously, we're disappointed and frustrated [after the Titans loss], which is probably the nicest way of putting it and in terms of doubts [moving forward], we don't have any."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/13/ios ... king-loss/
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Happy to see smelly on the edge.
Bateman will be ok in the middle rotating with Gubby.