All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: How much is Blake worth?

Post by reptar »

LastRaider wrote:
reptar wrote:What we should do, is carry a half on the bench. Then replace the hooker with them after 15 minutes. That'll confuse everyone
I love this, can’t stop laughing

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yes, I was laughing AND confused when Ricky did this on Saturday. :)
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

reptar wrote:
LastRaider wrote:
reptar wrote:What we should do, is carry a half on the bench. Then replace the hooker with them after 15 minutes. That'll confuse everyone
I love this, can’t stop laughing

Yes, I was laughing AND confused when Ricky did this on Saturday. :)
But mostly angry
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

They said on the Fox broadcast that Blake Austin's wife had their fourth baby during the week. That would account for him being distracted but it is up to the Coach to make the call on whether he plays or is stood down for family reasons. I hope all is well with Mum and bub.
gilby_gillard
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker, 2019 team

Post by gilby_gillard »

The Nickman wrote: April 22, 2018, 10:10 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:
gilby_gillard wrote:I've met him a couple of times and hes been nothing but nice. Last year the family and I drove down to Canberra from QLD for the Cowboys debacle and I reached out to him on a whim via social media to see if he knew when training was - He hooked me up with the Captains run session and a dressing room tour. Remembered me and my daughter at the members event on the sunny coast too. Great guy who wasn't cocky or rude at all. That doesn't mean he deserves to be in the team though - just saying I've only had great experiences when meeting him
Sounds like an absolute **** doesn't he Nickman?
Yeah, well I know one thing... Gilby Gillard has always been a great source of information on this forum, what reason would I have for doubting his word?
Not claiming to be a great source, just telling my experience when I’ve met him. He didn’t have to respond to my enquiry, but he did and as I said he was nothing but nice.

In saying that I’m still happy for him to move on if he isn’t playing the ‘team’ game for us
LastRaider
John Ferguson

How much is Blake worth?

Post by LastRaider »

Triple M breakfast show in Sydney had some interesting words about Austin today.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.tri ... t-week/amp

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Good post, boppa. I can't say I disagree with any of that, although I'm still not at the point of wanting the team to lose... just yet
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

boppa wrote: April 23, 2018, 3:55 pm It was well known he turned down the 700k 4 year deal last year.
I still think the guy is a stand up dude and can play, I also maintain that it was an epic mistake he didn't take up the offer. He will be lucky to get anything above minimum wage after the last few years but he isn't anywhere near his best here, the best thing for him is an early release asap.
Pure luck Blake didn't sign the deal and a massive get out of jail free card for Stuart. Imagine knowing he was stuck with him for that long on that amount of money after the first 7 games of this year. Seriously ponder that though!

I'll say it again, the same idiot coach who thought he was worth that amount of money is running our recruitment and retention prcoces as well as determining who's worth what. Sit on that thought and maybe it will become clear why this club is heading down a deep dark miserable place.

While ever Stuart is in charge you are all in for a world of hurt. I've totally boycotted attendance of games and refuse to spend a cent or alter my time schedule to watch the rabble this club has become.

Not in all my life did I ever think I'd want the team I loved to fail but I hope they get pumped week in week out only for the reason it will speed up the process of getting rid of this overrated myth of a coach.

It's the coaches fault all these players came off contract in the same year and it's on him that all but Bateman will head to other clubs and go onto bigger and better things. But of course Ricky shifts the blame onto the boogie men at NRL HQ.
Que the next rebuilding faze!

The playing squad is not the problem.
Captaincy is not the issue.
The NRL and the refs are not the conspiring against the raiders.

Every single thing wrong with this team lands squarely at the feet of the most stubborn pig headed **** of a coach in history.
Until he is shown the door nothing will change.

This is a poorly coached team with a sense of entitlement and lack of accountability. Attitude reflects leadership from the top down!
In the meantime grab some pop corn and watch the circus unfold lol

In your face Ricky, in your face!!!
I can see you've found the winning formula.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

boppa wrote: April 23, 2018, 3:55 pm It was well known he turned down the 700k 4 year deal last year.
I still think the guy is a stand up dude and can play, I also maintain that it was an epic mistake he didn't take up the offer. He will be lucky to get anything above minimum wage after the last few years but he isn't anywhere near his best here, the best thing for him is an early release asap.
Pure luck Blake didn't sign the deal and a massive get out of jail free card for Stuart. Imagine knowing he was stuck with him for that long on that amount of money after the first 7 games of this year. Seriously ponder that though!

I'll say it again, the same idiot coach who thought he was worth that amount of money is running our recruitment and retention prcoces as well as determining who's worth what. Sit on that thought and maybe it will become clear why this club is heading down a deep dark miserable place.

While ever Stuart is in charge you are all in for a world of hurt. I've totally boycotted attendance of games and refuse to spend a cent or alter my time schedule to watch the rabble this club has become.

Not in all my life did I ever think I'd want the team I loved to fail but I hope they get pumped week in week out only for the reason it will speed up the process of getting rid of this overrated myth of a coach.

It's the coaches fault all these players came off contract in the same year and it's on him that all but Bateman will head to other clubs and go onto bigger and better things. But of course Ricky shifts the blame onto the boogie men at NRL HQ.

Every single thing wrong with this team lands squarely at the feet of the most stubborn pig headed **** of a coach in history.

This is a poorly coached team with a sense of entitlement and lack of accountability. Attitude reflects leadership from the top down!

Agreed
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

It's been like this for a decade and the end is nowhere in sight.
Whitty
David Shillington

Post by Whitty »

This is from last year but i don't see much has changed. Doing his hair before he makes a tackle. Either really confident or doesn't give a ****.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Whitty wrote:This is from last year but i don't see much has changed. Doing his hair before he makes a tackle. Either really confident or doesn't give a ****.

Yep that’s Blake. His technic is so bad on the line. He needs to get his body in front, not hang to the side! How has he not fixed this yet... frustrating

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Will Austin be picked today???

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Maybe on the bench with Hingano at 6.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Gee I'm no genius but that loss last week had little to do with Austin. We were absolutely rolled through the middle, Odd that he's copping the blame. He obviously isn't a great defender and never was but **** he has some mates there.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Having said that there's no way I'd be re-signing him. He's still the best 6 at the club though. Sad but true. And our issues won't be magically resolved if we get rid of him. Far more problems in this side than BA.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

How much is Blake worth?

Post by LastRaider »

I disagree, when he is in the squad he brings an uneasiness to the team. I also believe he mentally battles Sezer for control of the team when they play together and the players on the left side have no trust in Austin’s defence and always having to make defensive decisions with this in mind.

I agree that there are other issues, like the forwards need to roll forward and hold the middle, but you will find the tries are coming on the edges at the moment and not so much the middle.

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Yea we have other problems but this one is a very easy fix and probably saves us 6 points a match
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Will Blake be offered a new contract?

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

LastRaider wrote: April 29, 2018, 10:54 am Will Blake be offered a new contract?

The gap between his best and worst performances is way too big for someone in such an important position and for someone of his age and experience.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I know, but Ricky is being patient with him and has hope I think. I feel Ricky is looking for an excuse to resign him which is worrying

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's only put in one complete defensive performance all year (cows).
Another game he didn't get exposed but was still making all the same bad decisions.
I mean the defensive gap between his cows game and rest of his year is like 2018 vs 2015. You gotta wonder what goes through their heads where they're suddenly doing all the one percenters for 80mins. You could see him putting in real effort again... But I think he's blown his chances.

AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

Enough for an extension he has proven that to the club since his return
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: April 30, 2018, 1:37 am He's only put in one complete defensive performance all year (cows).
Another game he didn't get exposed but was still making all the same bad decisions.
I mean the defensive gap between his cows game and rest of his year is like 2018 vs 2015. You gotta wonder what goes through their heads where they're suddenly doing all the one percenters for 80mins. You could see him putting in real effort again... But I think he's blown his chances.
I thought he looked good defensively against Parramatta too, made some good decisions, first contact was solid, but otherwise, yeah I completely agree with what you're saying, zim.

His problem is not he's a poor defender, but more he's not committed to showing up week in and week out and putting in the effort required to defend at a first grade standard.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2018, 11:35 am
zim wrote: April 30, 2018, 1:37 am He's only put in one complete defensive performance all year (cows).
I thought he looked good defensively against Parramatta too, made some good decisions, first contact was solid, but otherwise, yeah I completely agree with what you're saying, zim.

His problem is not he's a poor defender, but more he's not committed to showing up week in and week out and putting in the effort required to defend at a first grade standard.
I think he is prone to making bad decisions on the goal line, and that exposes his whole edge. I was watching closely during the Cows match (which Im sure most were!) and it looked like Tarpine and BJ were tasked with covering Austin a lot more - he didnt get caught 1 on 1 as much in the red zone. The only issue was that it looked like Tarpine over-compensated on the Cows try - and he had shifted wide to cover Austo when it looked like the ball was being shifted towards Blake, and it opened the gap where Tarpine should have been, and the try was scored.

But overall it looked like we covered for him much better than usual, which teams have been doing with Maloney for years. Its ok to have a poor defender if the team can compensate for it.

I still dont think there should be an offer on the table for him, but we covered better than in the past.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

AUSTEZER wrote:Enough for an extension he has proven that to the club since his return
Pfft.. you under a rock for his debacle last week?

If he can go more than 4 weeks without making an abomination of a defensive read then we can talk about it
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Given the money he wants id let him go, just not consistent enough.

I watched the Panthers game, Maloney absolutely bossed the game, same defensive qualities as Austin but offers way way more to the team.

Way way more
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2018, 11:35 am

Yeah I went too far describing the parra game as "all the same bad decisions" (there were still quite a few odd choices). His defence in that game was much better than it had been up to that point, and the cows performance was another similarly sized leap forward to where we actually want it.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

looks better back on the right and beej looks happy having him there

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

How much is Blake worth?

More than last week.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Has to string more than one good performance together Sossman.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

How much is Blake worth?

Post by LastRaider »

This article with Blake’s comments really have got me pissed off now: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/austin ... 4zcue.html

He turned down our generous offer last year as he was confident he could get more money. At the start of the season, some of the raiders players were interviewed and they all talked about the team. Then when Austin was interviewed all he talked about was him self with no mention of the team. Move forward to today, he now knows he can’t get a contract anywhere and now Canberra is the amazing home where he wants to be.

I want him gone... I wish they walked him today!

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

LastRaider wrote: May 2, 2018, 6:14 pm This article with Blake’s comments really have got me pissed off now: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/austin ... 4zcue.html

He turned down our generous offer last year as he was confident he could get more money. At the start of the season, some of the raiders players were interviewed and they all talked about the team. Then when Austin was interviewed all he talked about was him self with no mention of the team. Move forward to today, he now knows he can’t get a contract anywhere and now Canberra is the amazing home where he wants to be.

Can't say I disagree unfortunately.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I think Austin made a mistake by not signing. I don't know if he has other options on the table from other clubs so it is an interesting situation.
I still believe if he plays to his potential though, he would be a valuable asset to the team! And that's precisely what I am hoping for - that he proves all the Austin haters wrong and kills it week in week out in D and A and then from there to get a contract he deserves.

Getting demoted and coming back into first grade isn't easy. Character building.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

LastRaider wrote: May 2, 2018, 6:14 pm This article with Blake’s comments really have got me pissed off now: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/austin ... 4zcue.html

"**** 'greedy, stupid' ****" - BJ Leilua
Last edited by Beejay on May 3, 2018, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's greedy, stupid!