All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Will Stuart ever learn to coach?

Post by The Nickman »

scotchberry wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 4, 2018, 8:26 pm Why would he be suitable in that role though, GeM? What qualities does he bring to the table that would want you having him overseeing everything?
I have no facts to prove this but I would think that he has played a role in being able to increase what little TPA's we have - he seems to have a good relationship with lots of people outside of the club so maybe he would provide some positives in this area of operations.
Good, make him the CEO then, but don’t allow him any contact with the players or coaching staff in a football capacity
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Hey Nickman i get that you're blaming Ricky for our bad culture, which is fair enough! But for the life of me I'm baffled that you'd swap him for Brad Arthur?? Parramatta set the standard in pathetic team culture lol
Also i get that Ricky is too intense for the players but you'd swap him for Madge lol.. Madge was hated by his players in the end for exactly that reason.
Yeah we are probably in need of a new coach asap but please come up with something better than those 2
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Coastalraider wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:52 am Heard the boys on the Market Watch Pod talking about the Raiders situation this morning - one of them had been speaking to 'a currently unemployed coach' about it and the comment was made that a coach starts his tenure at a club with a style and a message. After a couple of seasons, its really difficult to continue to get the same message across to the same bunch of people so you need to either refresh the message, refresh the people listening to it, or refresh the people telling it. A point I hadn't considered about Bellamy is not only has he had a bunch of all time great players to manage, but the squad rotation get turned over every season - but more importantly, they have a high turnover of support staff. Most teams have either coaches or support staff who have gone through the storm system in the last couple of decades. This keeps the message, the messenger, and the listener refreshed on a regular basis, and doesn't allow anything to become stale.

We are arguably in year 4 of the same squad, same coach, same message, and largely the same coaching staff (I doubt Whitey would bring major change). Its no wonder really that we are struggling for direction.
Great point
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Will Stuart ever learn to coach?

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote:Hey Nickman i get that you're blaming Ricky for our bad culture, which is fair enough! But for the life of me I'm baffled that you'd swap him for Brad Arthur?? Parramatta set the standard in pathetic team culture lol
Also i get that Ricky is too intense for the players but you'd swap him for Madge lol.. Madge was hated by his players in the end for exactly that reason.
Yeah we are probably in need of a new coach asap but please come up with something better than those 2
Maguire left because of basically internal politics within the club, due largely to Rusty Crowe and the Burgess boys. He wouldn’t have to deal with that kind of rubbish here, I think he’d do a fine job. The only negative influence at the top level is our coach and Bonehead to an extent, who is now focusing more on stacking on blues down the local RSL

Brad Arthur was doing a sensational job until the Eels bought Hayne. Buying Hayne is akin to appointing Ricky Stuart as your coach, we all know what happens from there

I would absolutely love Brad Arthur once Jarryd Hayne invariably gets him sacked

On a further note, I’d take Neil Henry back in a heartbeat too. He was doing a fantastic job at the titans right up until the point, yep you guessed it, they brought Jarryd Hayne back
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Raiders666 wrote: April 5, 2018, 12:39 pm Hey Nickman i get that you're blaming Ricky for our bad culture, which is fair enough! But for the life of me I'm baffled that you'd swap him for Brad Arthur?? Parramatta set the standard in pathetic team culture lol
Id like to see more Ws than Ls.
I'm jack of losing.

Im real tired.
I'm going to work now and I'm leaving my radio and headphones at home. I don't wanna know.

Someone will tell me later.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: April 5, 2018, 12:43 pm
Raiders666 wrote:Hey Nickman i get that you're blaming Ricky for our bad culture, which is fair enough! But for the life of me I'm baffled that you'd swap him for Brad Arthur?? Parramatta set the standard in pathetic team culture lol
Maguire left because of basically internal politics within the club, due largely to Rusty Crowe and the Burgess boys. He wouldn’t have to deal with that kind of rubbish here, I think he’d do a fine job. The only negative influence at the top level is our coach and Bonehead to an extent, who is now focusing more on stacking on blues down the local RSL

Brad Arthur was doing a sensational job until the Eels bought Hayne. Buying Hayne is akin to appointing Ricky Stuart as your coach, we all know what happens from there

I would absolutely love Brad Arthur once Jarryd Hayne invariably gets him sacked

On a further note, I’d take Neil Henry back in a heartbeat too. He was doing a fantastic job at the titans right up until the point, yep you guessed it, they brought Jarryd Hayne back
It's seems the common theme here is Jarryd Hayne...what a pelican.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote: April 5, 2018, 12:48 pm

It's seems the common theme here is Jarryd Hayne...what a pelican.
To be fair, the 9ers sucked before he got there.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Madge lost the players.. I know that for a FACT. No other reason. He is far too intense and so are his training methods.

Arthur was doing well with a team that cheated systematically and was built by rorting the cap.
The culture in Parramatta has been diabolical under his reign and it would take be way too long to list the headlines created by that club in the last 4 years. Take a look at the 1eyedeel forum for a reference
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Raiders666 wrote:Madge lost the players.. I know that for a FACT. No other reason. He is far too intense and so are his training methods.

Arthur was doing well with a team that cheated systematically and was built by rorting the cap.
The culture in Parramatta has been diabolical under his reign and it would take be way too long to list the headlines created by that club in the last 4 years. Take a look at the 1eyedeel forum for a reference

I would absolutely accept Madge coming here and losing the players which sends us into a spiral of mediocracy if he first delivers us a premiership.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

RTW wrote: April 5, 2018, 1:06 pm
Raiders666 wrote:Madge lost the players.. I know that for a FACT. No other reason. He is far too intense and so are his training methods.

I would absolutely accept Madge coming here and losing the players which sends us into a spiral of mediocracy if he first delivers us a premiership.
Exactly.

hiring Madge would not be a long term appointment like a Bellamy or Green would - but he would drag this squad kicking and screaming into the top 8 for a few years.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Madge is tactically the most boring coach in the last decade and wouldn't be able to employ his tactics the way he did at Souths ever again at any club.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Why do we have 5 pages on this thread when the simple answer to the topic is "No"?

Just sayin...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Um Jammer Lammy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: David Milne

Post by Um Jammer Lammy »

In my opinion I'm not sure a coach swap is required, certainly not for Maguire or Arthur. I'm not even sure there is a coaching problem in Ricky, perhaps in his appointment of Brett White as I find that odd and even unwarranted and maybe again in the re-signing of Leilua.

Trying to connect the dots, seems to me that there are a bunch of players trying to capitalise on 2016 and perhaps there is unrest among the group with so many off contract players not getting their way. If that is the case than they aren't the kind of guys who will win a premiership. True or not I have no idea but reading that Blake Austin turned down 2 years at 750k is just, I like that he is backing himself to be worth more and looks to have trained hard all off season but gosh, he was awful last year and defensively this year even worse.

A lot of the guys off contract have been pretty poor for over a year, therefore not worth top dollar. We can blame Ricky and the coaching but maybe with defensive efforts like we saw last week the players just need to take responsibility for their own performance and dig in and represent their fans who are the ones who ultimately pay their way.

I believe now is the time for the club to remain strong and to be seen as such by player agents and not be pushed around by a group of players. This club is not a door mat nor an easy pay day, for too long players have walked over our club, Carney, Milford, Dugan to name just a few. Pay them what they are worth and no less, if Austin can get 750k plus somewhere great for him but its a lot of cap space for a guy that doesn't win you games. Even back in 2016 it was Rapana, Leilua, Boyd, Paulo, Hodgson who were our match winners, Sezer and Austin were accessories to the success. We lose close ones because our key players charged with getting us over the line don't. It is Shaun Johnson, Daly Cherry-Evans, Mitchell Pearce, Michael Morgan who make those plays, a couple of them against us in the last month.

Austin, Sezer and our premier rep player Papalii do not win us footy games any more. When you don't do that what are you really worth??
Golden Boogs 2006: McLinden Award
Golden Boogs 2007: Personality of the Year
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Madge would of been good as an assistant instead of White. It was good to see them still playing for Ricky after a spray.
Ricky will be judged at seasons end.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote:Madge would of been good as an assistant instead of White. It was good to see them still playing for Ricky after a spray.

Ricky will be judged in another three weeks, Brew

Big difference between 4-4 and 1-7
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

The Nickman wrote:
Brew wrote:Madge would of been good as an assistant instead of White. It was good to see them still playing for Ricky after a spray.

Ricky will be judged in another three weeks, Brew

Big difference between 4-4 and 1-7
Maybe by some on here but not by the club or board. Let’s face it the first weeks weren’t floggings they were heartbreaking losses and the club ain’t going to sack the coach over that, that’s how they will see it. I can’t see Ricky getting the boot mid season if they are at least competitive

In Ricky We Trust
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Here one to throw the cat amongst the pigeons...

With Brisbane chasing Green as successor at the Broncs, and and obvious falling out between Walters and Bennett this week, combined with the fact that ol' sidemouth has publicly stated he doesn't think he has signed his last coaching contract....

Would you welcome Bennet back to Canberra??
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Coastalraider wrote: April 6, 2018, 2:37 pm Here one to throw the cat amongst the pigeons...

With Brisbane chasing Green as successor at the Broncs, and and obvious falling out between Walters and Bennett this week, combined with the fact that ol' sidemouth has publicly stated he doesn't think he has signed his last coaching contract....

Nope. I think he's about 4 - 5 seasons past his used by date personally.
I found a moon rock in my nose....
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Coastalraider wrote: April 6, 2018, 2:37 pm Here one to throw the cat amongst the pigeons...

No. He can't win a comp with the easiest gig in the land, and last time he was at a club like ours he left it very deep in a hole.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

No. As crazy as that sounds, I think he's past it. He destroyed the Knights. Brisbane hasn't won a comp since 2006 I think, despite all of their extra advantages. I don't think he can win us a premiership. I don't think Ricky can either, but I think Bennett is a sideways move. I think Green, Bellamy, and Cleary have the potential to win us a premiership.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think even I'd say no to Wayne Bennett.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I would definitely not want Bennett here. I've been vocal about how badly he has underachieved as coach from the first day I joined this forum. I think the game has passed him by as well.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

No way I'd back a Neil Henry return. He'd only be here until a better opportunity came along.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

No way to Bennett, don’t see that grump old sod engaging the local small Canberra community like Stuart does.

In Ricky We Trust
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

What’s Tim Sheens up to ?

Seriously though my pick would be Toovey. His record is pretty good and I thought unlucky to be moved on.

He has also got that well engrained winning Manly siege mentality about him that could do wonders for our mental midgets
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sheens is coaching in Hull KR in England.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Yes, sign Wayne to a 15yr deal. That'll take him through till he's 90.
Imagine the press conferences then...sheezzzzzz good stuff.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:

Yes, sign Wayne to a 15yr deal. That'll take him through till he's 90.
Imagine the press conferences then...sheezzzzzz good stuff.
I reckon you could send a cardboard cut out and no one would know.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

I can't believe any club would have Wayne after what he did to the Knights. The Broncos were just unlucky that they were stuck with Anthony Griffin at the time and Paul Green wasn't available

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Woodgers wrote: April 6, 2018, 3:04 pm I would definitely not want Bennett here. I've been vocal about how badly he has underachieved as coach from the first day I joined this forum. I think the game has passed him by as well.
100% agree.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Time for Bennett to retire. He's lost it.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Woodgers wrote:I would definitely not want Bennett here. I've been vocal about how badly he has underachieved as coach from the first day I joined this forum. I think the game has passed him by as well.
Look how the Dragons and Knights were post Bennett. The Broncos haven't been amazing since he returned.

International coach yes.
Club coach no.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

100%green wrote: April 9, 2018, 10:49 pm
Woodgers wrote:I would definitely not want Bennett here. I've been vocal about how badly he has underachieved as coach from the first day I joined this forum. I think the game has passed him by as well.
Look how the Dragons and Knights were post Bennett. The Broncos haven't been amazing since he returned.

International coach yes.
Club coach no.

Look how we are now ? And how we have been most years for two decades... least the Dragons got a Grand Final win out of it.
Mind you not happy with the tactic of back ending contracts and leaving the place in a mess like Bennett and Hasler have done.
Rather Griffin than Bennett tbh.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sun Coast Raider wrote: April 9, 2018, 11:23 pm
100%green wrote: April 9, 2018, 10:49 pm

International coach yes.
Club coach no.

Look how we are now ? And how we have been most years for two decades... least the Dragons got a Grand Final win out of it.
Mind you not happy with the tactic of back ending contracts and leaving the place in a mess like Bennett and Hasler have done.
Rather Griffin than Bennett tbh.
I agree 100%, Peter Griffin would be a fantastic gain as coach.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

.. anyone looking to Maguire as a coach needs to watch Cook this year, and remember Maguire had Robbie Farrah starting over him all last year.