Lachlan Fitzgibbon > Josh Papalii

This is why Matt sucks.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2018

Post by zim »

This is the most interesting weekly segment since Nickman's Pick Man. Whatever happened to that?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Or Pigman's "I'm a ******* and you know it?" or something like that?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Everyone forgot the original "Frank the cat's view from a lap" so quickly!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:Everyone forgot the original "Frank the cat's view from a lap" so quickly!
Not me and Max

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

@WMS,

The 3 'call outs' so far.
Rd 1: Carty > Whitey. 98m, 22 tackles (7 missed, WOW), Winner VS 101m, 38 tackles (5 missed), Loser.

Rd 2: SKD > Cotric. 125m and 5 tackle breaks, Winner VS 96m, 4 tackles breaks, a line break, Loser.
Fitz vs Papa. Try, 94m and 20 tackles (1 missed), Winner VS 108m, 17 tackles (1 missed), Loser.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Round 1 I'd say you were wrong. Whitehead was way better.
Round 2 you were correct. Bad signs for Papa. **** was that play the ball.
WMS
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Poster - Matt

Post by WMS »

Why Matt Sucks:
Rd 1: Carty > Whitey. 98m, 22 tackles (7 missed, WOW), Winner VS 101m, 38 tackles (5 missed), Loser.

Rd 2: SKD > Cotric. 125m and 5 tackle breaks, Winner VS 96m, 4 tackles breaks, a line break, Loser.
Fitz vs Papa. Try, 94m and 20 tackles (1 missed), Winner VS 108m, 17 tackles (1 missed), Loser.

This is why Matt sucks.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: March 19, 2018, 11:29 am @WMS,

I wasn't aware that the skin winners were based on who would win the stats for that week. I thought it was based on who was the better player overall, or at the very least who was in better form at any given time. Carty is not in better form than Whitehead, despite winning the stats for that game.

Hang on.... did Carty even win the stats? He made less metres, less tackles, and more missed tackles. How is that a win?
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Furthermore, there's not much difference between the stats in your "winner"/"loser" break down.

SKD made 29 more metres and 1 more tackle break. Cotric made a line break. Big woop.

Fitz scored a try, but made less metres. Made 3 more tackles. Big woop.

This is hardly egg-on-face stuff for WMS.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: March 16, 2018, 1:46 pm This is the most interesting weekly segment since Nickman's Pick Man. Whatever happened to that?
Well this year I'm going to debut a new segment, called "Nickman's View From a Cannon" where I EDIT.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I can't wait to see who it is next week!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Finchy wrote: March 19, 2018, 11:40 am
Matt wrote: March 19, 2018, 11:29 am @WMS,

I wasn't aware that the skin winners were based on who would win the stats for that week. I thought it was based on who was the better player overall, or at the very least who was in better form at any given time. Carty is not in better form than Whitehead, despite winning the stats for that game.

Hang on.... did Carty even win the stats? He made less metres, less tackles, and more missed tackles. How is that a win?
Finchy wrote: March 19, 2018, 11:43 am Furthermore, there's not much difference between the stats in your "winner"/"loser" break down.

SKD made 29 more metres and 1 more tackle break. Cotric made a line break. Big woop.

Fitz scored a try, but made less metres. Made 3 more tackles. Big woop.

This is hardly egg-on-face stuff for WMS.
Finchy,
You could look at it as me suggesting its 'egg-on-face'
OR,
You could look at it as the skin was actually much closer than the original comment by WMS made it out to be.

Bar Rd 1, I like to work off form. I know that makes the Carty vs Whitey a little blurrier, however, at their best Carty is more dangerous, and that's how I called it last week.

As for the Knights pair, they won in Rd 1, a tough gritty GP game too. IMO, SKD and Fitz were better than our 2. After losing last night, Id be happy to say, Id still pick it that way.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Looking forward to this week's edition. Rapana and Boyd might be our only skins.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matty always has a curve ball for us. Have faith.
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Matt has the balls to make his picks and stand by them this is why Matt does not suck.. Enjoyable read every week. But where oh where are the pigman replies

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

irvste wrote: March 19, 2018, 9:43 pm Matt has the balls to make his picks and stand by them this is why Matt does not suck.. Enjoyable read every week. But where oh where are the pigman replies

Cheers

Don't worry, Piggy is still with us. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote: March 20, 2018, 8:24 am
irvste wrote: March 19, 2018, 9:43 pm Matt has the balls to make his picks and stand by them this is why Matt does not suck.. Enjoyable read every week. But where oh where are the pigman replies

Cheers

Don't worry, Piggy is still with us. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Haha I'm fairly certain he's not "still with us" at all actually
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Why Nickman ? Did he get EDIT out of an EDIT ?

*Edited
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Why is it so offensive to be edited out of an edit?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Apparently joking about shooting someone out of a cannon breaks some kind of imaginary forum guidelines these days. Again, no wonder so many people don't post here anymore.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks Nickman, but we moderate according to the forum guidelines. And if you have a complaint about the moderation, there is a procedure in the guidelines for enquiring about them. That is via PM to your favourite moderator. They will then explain. It is not like you don't know this. You could even text or call me!

We always aim to act in the interests of the whole forum community. Thanks.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: March 20, 2018, 2:45 pm Apparently joking about EDIT breaks some kind of imaginary forum guidelines these days. Again, no wonder so many people don't post here anymore.

Fixed.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Perfect, Finchy.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 3: Raiders V Warriors

It's Raiders V Warriors, you know what's going on. Let's get straight to it.

Warriors V Raiders

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck © 1. Jack Wighton
David Fusitu’a 2. Nick Cotric
Peta Hiku 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Solomone Kata 4. Joseph Leilua
Ken Maumalo 5. Jordan Rapana
Blake Green 6. Aidan Sezer
Shaun Johnson 7. Sam Williams
James Gavet 8. Sia Soliola
Issac Luke 9. Siliva Havili
Adam Blair 10. Shannon Boyd
Leivaha Pulu 11. Josh Papalii
Tohu Harris 12. Elliott Whitehead
Ligi Sao 13. Luke Bateman

Interchange
Jazz Tevaga 14. Blake Austin
Agnatius Paasi 15. Junior Paulo
Sam Lisone 16. Dunamis Lui
Bunty Afoa 17. Liam Knight

Extended Bench
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 18. Joe Tapine
Anthony Gelling 19. Ata Hingano
Chris Satae 20. Michael Oldfield
Mason Lino 21. Royce Hunt

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Jack Wighton cops a lot of flak from Raiders fans, but I’d have him in the top three or four performers for the Raiders in both games so far. He has looked dangerous with ball in hand, and is becoming a master of the three on three sweep play. His cover defence has had to be good this year, with the Raiders leaking points... though most of those efforts have ultimately been to no avail. On the other hand, last week we saw the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck at his absolute best. Tuivasa-Sheck scored a try, produced a try assist, and made 232m, three line breaks and nine tackle breaks. He was one of the best performers in the NRL last week.

Wingers:
Jordan Rapana showed again last week why he is considered one of the best wingers in the game. He scored a try in the corner, but his try assist for Elliot Whitehead's first was spectacular. He also gained 142m and made six tackle busts. Ken Maumalo is no slouch, having run for 155m and 138m in consecutive weeks, and having scored a try in round one. But Rapana takes the skin.

David Fusitu’a has scored four tries in two weeks, and Nick Cotric doesn’t look like the kid that burst on the scene last year. He has made a few errors in the first couple of weeks, when he only made a few all season last year.

Centres:
Peta Hiku has returned to the NRL and looks to have found some of his best form. He has been keen to take carries, passing 100m in both games. He did miss quite a few tackles in round one, but came back very strongly last week, and scored a try. Jarrod Croker hasn’t had a great start to the year. He was knocked out by Hurrell in week one and was then hung out to dry defensively by Blake Austin in week two. He was on the end of a good team try against the Knights though, of which Austin was a part.

Solomone Kata is cut from the same cloth as Konrad Hurrell. A big, strong, pocket rocket. He looked to be getting back to his destructive best last week. Joseph Leilua has been named, despite the ankle injury that saw him driven off on a medicab on Sunday. He will be given until game day to prove his fitness, with Michael Oldfield named as cover on the extended bench. With costly errors in week one, and only 25 minutes in week two, this is a no contest.

Halves:
Blake Green, like James Maloney, has found a niche as a steadying-influence half. Both allow their partner the freedom to do as they please. This is not more important when your halves partner is the electric Shaun Johnson. The Warriors tried to find a steadying influence in Foran, but injury and off field issues intervened. Green, his replacement, may well prove to be the buy of the year, should the Warriors progress to the finals. Aidan Sezer, like in round one, has been named at five-eighth, but has played all his minutes at hooker. He has been okay, but he isn’t Josh Hodgson.

Sam Williams was very hot and cold against the Knights. His cross field kick to Rapana, which resulted in the Whitehead try, was pin point perfect. Unfortunately, like his halves partner, his defence let him down. Shaun Johnson on the other hand has been very good the past two weeks, leading the Warriors to two victories. I don’t think Johnson has really cut lose, yet he already looks a million bucks. The Raiders are going to have to find a way to keep him quiet, or who knows what the score might be?

Prop:
The best prop in this match is Shannon Boyd. The new father has found that same venom he had in the 2016 run to the finals. He has returned to ‘beast mode’ and leaves at least one would be tackler in his wake with every carry. His cover defence is also very impressive for a big man. Adam Blair has made the move from the Broncos to the Warriors and is the same guy; he seems to do a lot of very little ineffectively.

James Gavet has had a monster start to the year, making 223m and 46 tackles in the first two rounds. He is getting the Warriors on the front foot with every carry. The best thing about Sia Soliola is that his presence in the starting team is splitting up Boyd and Paulo. I still think Soliola is a step slow, and it certainly showed when he was pushed out to the edge to cover Whitehead against the Knights.

Agnatius Paasi is playing his first game for his new club, having made the move from the Titans. Junior Paulo gets an easy skin via the debut rule. Paulo has 174m, 43 tackles and four offloads, but it was the one that led to the Whitehead try that splits the two.

Sam Lisone versus Dunimus Lui is a lot closer by the numbers than I thought it would be. Lisone has produced 149m, 32 tackles and a couple of offloads in two weeks. Lui has, believe it or not, 194m and 33 tackles. He made 128m against the Knights. I thought he was good the other night, but didn’t realise he was that good. This performance gives him the edge.

Liam Knight has been named to make his debut for the Raiders. He has had issues in his career, breaking his arm in his NRL debut for the Roosters, then off field dramas while at Manly. But he has shown some good form at Mounties since joining the club. Good luck to him for his first match in the green. Bunty Afoa is another beneficiary of the debut rule, however he has been impressive enough to win it on his own; 137m and 50 tackles in two weeks.

Hooker/utility:
Siliva Havili actually played better footy as a running forward late in the game against the Knights than he did at hooker. In his second stint, Havili came on, and not only did he bend the defensive line, he popped up two offloads. He will need more minutes, however, to take the skin off Isaac Luke. Luke has been at his running best, passing 100m in both of the first two weeks. This is when Luke is at his most dangerous.

Jazz Tevaga has not played this year, so Blake Austin gets an easy skin. This is lucky for Austin who had his best game offensively in what feels like forever. His step was back, his support play was outstanding. As good as his offence was, his defence was equally poor. He made a bad read when Guerra scored a try, coming in on Watson rather than taking his man. Then late in the game, when Mata'utia scored, he shot out of the line to take Pearce, leaving Croker hung out to dry.

Backrow:
Josh Papalii hasn’t been at his best this year. He has shown snippets, but not delivered a full 80 minute performance. He has shown more this year than Leivaha Pulu though. Pulu made the move to the Warriors from the Titans this season, and replaces the injured Isaiah Papali’i in the starting lineup.

You couldn’t ask Elliot Whitehead to do any more than he has done in the past two weeks. He's filled in at both centre positions, played lock and on the edge. He scored two tries in last week’s loss too. However, Tohu Harris has become a colossus at the Warriors. He has made 278m and 72 tackles in two rounds. He is dominating for the Warriors and leading the pack from the front. This is exactly what Kearney wanted from the high profile recruit from the Melbourne Storm.

Luke Bateman still isn’t providing enough punch for mine. Like Soliola, he isn’t effective enough carrying the ball. However, he did make 43 tackles last week and 35 the week before. He has obviously been picked to take the defensive workload. Ligi Sao isn’t making as many tackles as Bateman, but is making twice the metres. He has proven to be a handy replacement for Simon Mannering at lock.

Result
The tally is Warriors 11 and Raiders 6. It was yet another close loss for the Raiders on Sunday, this time 100 per cent because of the defence. The Warriors are two from two, and Johnson and Tuivasa-Sheck are looking great. Raiders are well and truly under the pump right now.

Result: Warriors in a clinic (by 12-18).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

"Equally poor" means that the other thing was "poor".

I think you would have been better off with something like "conversely, his defence was poor".
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

hrundi89 wrote: March 21, 2018, 12:38 pm "Equally poor" means that the other thing was "poor".

I think you would have been better off with something like "conversely, his defence was poor".
That phrasing is better.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Pretty good selections Matt. Bravo.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Finchy wrote: March 21, 2018, 8:01 pm Pretty good selections Matt. Bravo.
Cheers.
TBH, it was pretty easy this week. A couple of debutants and a few studs.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

You could at least throw in a "Shaun Johnson 7. Sam Williams" for laughs!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Finchy wrote: March 21, 2018, 8:12 pm You could at least throw in a "Shaun Johnson 7. Sam Williams" for laughs!
:woot: :lol:

When i did my 1st draft i had Austin slotted at 6. I was trying to make a case for him. But his D was so awful i couldnt bring myself to do it. Being benched saved him... and me.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Looking forward to seeing WMS this week!
WMS
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Poster - Matt

Post by WMS »

Why Matt Sucks:
When i did my 1st draft i had Austin slotted at 6. I was trying to make a case for him.
This is why Matt Sucks
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

WMS wrote: March 23, 2018, 10:31 am Why Matt Sucks:
When i did my 1st draft i had Austin slotted at 6. I was trying to make a case for him.
This is why Matt Sucks
Classic! All you could come up with was to take a quote and leave it totally out of context. :clap: :clap: :clap:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote:
WMS wrote: March 23, 2018, 10:31 am Why Matt Sucks:
This is why Matt Sucks
Classic! All you could come up with was to take a quote and leave it totally out of context. :clap: :clap: :clap:
And that’s why Why Matt Sucks sucks.