All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2018

Post by reptar »

I love lamp
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

boydy80 wrote: April 11, 2018, 6:40 pm I really think this is a danger game for us. Only last week we were looking like the Eels. If we're over confident, and the Eels decide this is there game to lift, all that good work will be undone. However, great skins Matt :D
Cheers
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Matt, I’m surprised about Lui’s missed tackles too but after re-watching the game, I think he and Sia prioritised line speed and early impact over complete tackles. Sia, I particular, rattled some Dogs with great initial contact before falling off and letting others finish the job. It was very effective.

I’m surprised every game with how good Lui’s contribution has been. What a champ.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Why Nickman sucks
reptar wrote: April 11, 2018, 7:55 pmI love lamp
This is why Nickman sucks.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I was not expecting such a slaughter. Looking at their form though it should be surprising.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

reptar wrote: April 11, 2018, 7:55 pmI love lamp
My cat's name is Mittens.
:roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ruben Daley wrote: April 11, 2018, 8:16 pm Matt, I’m surprised about Lui’s missed tackles too but after re-watching the game, I think he and Sia prioritised line speed and early impact over complete tackles. Sia, I particular, rattled some Dogs with great initial contact before falling off and letting others finish the job. It was very effective.

I’m surprised every game with how good Lui’s contribution has been. What a champ.
I think that is probably right.
I hope it continues.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 7: Raiders V Rabbitohs

What’s going down in Gosford this weekend?

Rabbitohs V Raiders

Alex Johnston 1. Jack Wighton
Richie Kennar 2. Nick Cotric
Greg Inglis © 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Dane Gagai 4. Joseph Leilua
Robert Jennings 5. Jordan Rapana
Cody Walker 6. Blake Austin
Adam Reynolds 7. Aidan Sezer
Thomas Burgess 8. Sia Soliola
Damien Cook 9. Siliva Havili
George Burgess 10. Junior Paulo
John Sutton 11. Joe Tapine
Angus Crichton 12. Elliott Whitehead
Sam Burgess 13. Luke Bateman

Interchange
Adam Douehi 14. Ata Hingano
Mark Nicholls 15. Shannon Boyd
Jason Clark 16. Josh Papalii
Junior Tatola 17. Dunamis Lui

Extended Bench
Robbie Farah 18. Liam Knight
Hymel Hunt 19. Michael Oldfield
Cameron Murray 20. Brad Abbey
Kyle Turner 21. Jack Murchie

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Jack Wighton continues to be dangerous players every time he chimes into the backline, especially on the left edge. Even in the horrendous weather on the weekend, Wighton went errorless; and that area of his game has really improved out of sight in 2018.

Alex Johnston has been in good form for the Bunnies and when compared with Wighton, a lot of the statistics are split. Wighton runs more metres, breaks more tackles and has scored two tries to one. Johnston has more try assists, line breaks assists and line breaks... but more errors and missed tackles. As a fullback is usually graded by their attack, that’s how I’ll decide this one, meaning Johnston has the edge.

Wingers:
Jordan Rapana started to get back to his best against the Eels. He combined beautifully on a favourite ‘Leipana’ short side play for a try. He also went within the width of an elastoplast for a second, after a great kick by Aidan Sezer in behind the line, but there was a tiny knock on into the knee of Clint Gutherson. That's a play the Raiders are now zero from three on in a fortnight, but could so easily be three from three. Robert Jennings has been great for the Bunnies, and his numbers are actually very close to those of Rapana. He leads Rapana in two key stats though - tries and line breaks, of which he has four. Like Rapana, he averages over 100m a game; he has 22 tackle busts which puts Jennings fourth on the list for wingers, but behind both Raiders' wingers.

I’ve been mentioning Nick Cotric as having second year syndrome for a few weeks now. Perhaps that is a little harsh, but perhaps it’s a case of trying too hard? He seems to be running a little too sideways at the moment, trying to beat the extra man, as his 34 tackle busts suggests. He also seems to be finding himself in touch a bit more this year. I’m not sure if that’s his inside men pushing passes, or if he isn’t stepping back inside. It could be a combination of both. Richie Kennar returned from injury last week against the Roosters. He averages 120m a game, 30m more than Cotric, and has four tries from his four starts this year. However, I can’t give the skin to Kennar after one week back from injury.

Centres:
Jarrod Croker looked dangerous up against Michael Jennings, who I’m convinced, is his NRL “bunny”. Speaking of bunnies, it must be rare to have two skippers lining up at centre, with Greg Inglis also in jersey No. 3. Both captains are starting to get onto a rich vein of form. Croker has crossed the stripe four times to Inglis’s three. It's also five line breaks to two, and 13 tackle busts to eight in favour of Croker too. There's a gulf in favour of Inglis for missed tackles (7-18) and metres gained (597-410). I can’t split them.

Joseph Leilua has seemingly decided to put the offload away and just run hard. This is paying dividends in his performances. The one time I do remember him offloading was to avoid going into touch with four would be tacklers on him - before Joseph Tapine was held up by a well-placed Gutherson hand. Dane Gagai was a big off season signing, but I’m sure Seibold was hoping for more than 18 missed tackles, 10 errors and two penalties. Gagai was also sent out to the wing to cover the Kennar’s injury, which skews his numbers little.

Halves:
With Sam Williams sidelined with a knee injury, Blake Austin got a reprieve. And with that reprieve he got back to basics. For Austin, the basics include his massive step, which was rewarded with a try, and caused the Eels headaches all night. His defence was also much improved, which is very promising - as that was the reason for his demotion. Cody Walker has been a live wire from the day he debuted. I still believe he is a better fullback than five-eighth, as it allows him to run in space more, and allows him to play both sides of the field. Even anchored to one side of the field, Walker is still the second most dangerous attacking weapon the Bunnies have. With four tries, five try assists, four line breaks and 23 tackle breaks, it’s not hard to see why.

Against the Eels, Aidan Sezer carried on from where he left off against the Dogs. His kicking game has been pin point for a fortnight. His reading of the game, and feel for what is happening in front of him has been impeccable. It’s great to see him start to run a few games in this fashion. He faces off against Adam Reynolds. Halves are supposed to lead their team around and create points, well; Reynolds has one try assist in three games, to Sezer’s four - and that could easily have been six had two kicks to Rapana come off. Not even close.

Prop:
Sia Soliola has also put two good back to back matches together. Soliola lead the defensive line all night long against the Eels - and produced plenty of big shots on lethargic Eels forwards. As impressive as Soliola has been the past two weeks, he faces the one Burgess who is firing on all cylinders. Thomas is replicating the season his twin, George, had in 2014. Thomas is averaging just over 10m per carry and 127m per game. He has also made 123 tackles while only missing eight.

The Eels were so impressed by the human wrecking ball Junior Paulo, that they have apparently offered him $600K a year for four years. He has earned those sort of dollars the past fortnight too. George Burgess, on the other hand, looks to have taken up his twin's ‘meek’ role this year. After an injury affected 2017, George hasn’t really found his feet in 2018.

Shannon Boyd returned to being a human bulldozer against the Eels. His leg drive has to be one of the most impressive in the NRL. He doesn’t charge into the line like some props, but he regularly carries two, three and even four tacklers metres after contact. I have loads of time for Mark Nicholls, the former Raider. He is an honest toiler and has proved in the past two weeks that he has something to offer at this level. He has a good motor and defends well, but I'll take the big impact prop every day of the week.

Josh Papalii came back with a point to prove after being dropped the previous week - and did just that. He was a hit man in defence, ran hard and scored a great try. He looked very capable of playing in the middle third, much like he did in Origin. Jason Clark is straight out of the Dave Tyrell mould. He always plays the role he is asked to - and probably above his ability - but no more.

Dunamis Lui took a back seat in the middle against the Eels, with the return of Papalii. However his form in recent weeks has been superb. Junior Tatola looks a real talent for the Bunnies. He was actually an edge forward in the junior grades, but has looked at home in the middle in the NRL. He is a big young man, and could easily be likened to Papalii, but I’d like to see a bit more from him than one out carries.

Hooker/utility:
After pushing out 78 minutes last week, Siliva Havili was asked to play 70 more this week. He didn’t pace himself though, he was 100 miles an hour, and in everything, doing his best Damien Cook impression. However, you can’t beat the real thing, and Cook has been the best hooker in the NRL for 2018. He is the key. The Raiders simply must shut him down, or pay the price.

It is hard to rate Ata Hingano or Adam Doueihi at the moment, as neither are playing many minutes. Doueihi gets the edge due to his run at halfback this season.

Backrow:
I said Joe Tapine had a monster game against the Dogs, but this week against the Eels, he was a monster. He made all 30 tackles stinging ones. He also impressed with the ball, running for 101m. Tapine is averaging 30 tackles and 70m a game. John Sutton is one of those players that everyone has an opinion on. However, a player who has made over 300 appearances deserves some credit. He is also playing some pretty good footy at the moment, averaging over 90m and 25 tackles a game. I like aggression from my pack, so Tapine gets the edge here.

Elliott Whitehead has been one the Raiders' best this season. However, Angus Crichton is a weapon, even with only nine digits. He has produced more metres than any other backrower, is the third for tackles, tackle breaks and offloads amongst backrowers. If the Raiders don’t shut him down, it will be a long night.

Luke Bateman has really stepped up his game the past fortnight. He has been up tempo and effective, especially in defence. However, realistically, the only reason he wins his skin this week, is because Sam Burgess is returning from a two week suspension.

Result
The tally is Rabbitohs seven and Raiders nine with a draw. The Raiders' recent form really makes this a lot closer than I thought it would. The Rabbitohs are working off the back of Cook, Walker, Crichton and Tom Burgess, who are all in irresistible form. It's a question of which team of champions plays like a champion team on the night.

Result: Raiders by just enough (by 4-8).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

2 week suspension or not, Luke Bateman should never win a skin over Sam Burgess...
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Sam Burgess could play on one leg and get the skin over Bateman...
WMS
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Poster - Matt

Post by WMS »

Why Matt Sucks:
Angus Crichton > Elliott Whitehead
Luke Bateman > Sam Burguess
This is why Matt sucks.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 18, 2018, 9:45 am Sam Burgess could play on one leg and get the skin over Bateman...
George Burgess would use three legs.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

angus crichton is a more then handy footballer.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Jennings over Rapana?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: April 11, 2018, 8:16 pm Matt, I’m surprised about Lui’s missed tackles too but after re-watching the game, I think he and Sia prioritised line speed and early impact over complete tackles. Sia, I particular, rattled some Dogs with great initial contact before falling off and letting others finish the job. It was very effective.

Yep, a case where stats don't tell everything. Sure you'd love to hit and stick but leading line speed, halting their momentum with a jolt while Havili or Whitehead etc pile on to effect the tackle is SO much more effective than our old, hold and give them 10, + the 2-3m they steal from hitting us at speed every time. Exactly the role the smaller props should be playing.

Surprised at Lui's leg speed after his ACL, he's good value at pinching a quick 10m once Boydy or Paulo get us going.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

WMS wrote: April 18, 2018, 9:56 am Why Matt Sucks:
Angus Crichton > Elliott Whitehead
Luke Bateman > Sam Burguess
This is why Matt sucks.
U need to watch Crichton play. There is a reason he was considered a bolter for Origin last yr, and a reason the Chooks are going to pay him a fortune next yr.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders666 wrote: April 18, 2018, 10:59 am Jennings over Rapana?
This was super tight. Waaay closer than I thought TBH. I edged it on tries scored as mentioned.
WMS
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Poster - Matt

Post by WMS »

Why Matt Sucks:
Matt wrote: April 18, 2018, 12:11 pm U need to watch Crichton play. There is a reason he was considered a bolter for Origin last yr, and a reason the Chooks are going to pay him a fortune next yr.
The fact Matt thinks this is about Crighton's talent, rather than ranking him ranking 30 game rookie with no big game experience over a proven world class footballer, in the peak of his career is why Matt sucks.

Crighton is very talented and may one day be a better footballer than Elliott Whitehead. Today is not that day.

And that is also why Matt sucks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rapana should win every winger skin because he's the best in the game. Cam Smith rule. Hope Jordy shoves it in your face Matt! :roflmao
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

LOUD NOISES
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Congratulations to Matt and his wife on the arrival of a new baby girl! That means, however, that Matt's Match-ups is on hiatus this week.

Others should feel free to jump in with their own skins this week!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote: April 25, 2018, 7:01 pm Congratulations to Matt and his wife on the arrival of a new baby girl! That means, however, that Matt's Match-ups is on hiatus this week.

Do you really want that? :woot:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schifty wrote: April 25, 2018, 7:03 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 25, 2018, 7:01 pm Congratulations to Matt and his wife on the arrival of a new baby girl! That means, however, that Matt's Match-ups is on hiatus this week.

Do you really want that? :woot:
I did suggest that!
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

I think we'd settle for Pigmans "******************** and you know it" segment this week.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

17-0 Cowboys

Margin: 20+
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Boyd, Lui, Whitehead, Tapine, BJ, Rapa win the skins. Everyone else loses.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: April 25, 2018, 7:29 pm I think we'd settle for Pigmans "******************** and you know it" segment this week.
To quote my boi Meek...

Hold on, wait a minute, y'all thought i was finished?

LETS DO THIS.

PIGMAN IS RIGHT AND YOU **** KNOW IT

1. Coote: Wighton is actually low key ****. I fully endorse sacking him over the alleged bashing ***** fiasco to save cap money to throw at someone really good... and i say this accepting that Wighton has been one our best. Im not grading on a Stuart scale though.
2. Nick Cotric: I quite like Feldt, he's a really, REALLY good player, but he's a pure finisher, and a damn good one. Cotric who is NINETEEN has already shown he's capable of creating something from nothing. He's not a product of a system. Feldt probably is.
3. Croker: Justin O'Neill is solid, Croker is slightly above that. Tighter than i thought it would be.
4. Beej: Yeah i get it, he's frustrating, but it's Ben Hampton. Ben Hampton would be aghast if i picked him over Beej. Even if Beej sent photos of his sister to all his mates
5. Rapana: Dont know, dont care who's up against. Best in the game clause
6. Morgan: Blake Austin should not be playing FG. That's a fact. I couldnt have been more supportive of his signing but his last 18 months have been nothing short of an abomination. If he plays, i dont think we have a hope in **** hell of winning. He steadfastly refuses to tackle, it's Sam William-esque
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Granville
10. Paulo: He's a good player. Not worth what Parra are going to pay to get him back but a good player none the less and easily our best middle right now. Sucks to lose him. Even if i wont miss Stuart playing him deep beyond his means and seeing error after error come as a result.
11. Tapine: Might be controversial. Cooper is a damn good player but i think Tapine gives a little more in most areas of the game and has a little x-factor about him.
12. Whitehead: You wont find a bigger Hess fan than i, his functional strength and ability to push through bodies on the goal line is unlike anything i've seen in this code. But i need more runs on the board before i put him above a proven world class footballer like Whitehead, who might be the most underrated player in the game, sooking aside.
13. Lolo

14. Martin: Best utility available talent wise. Havilli almost stole this due to his size and toughness and ability to play some middle. I like him
15. Papalii: Definitely the best forward left standing. Quality player. Would start in the second row if he wasnt such a fat **** ****.
16. Boyd: Still believe in this fat **** too, but things have not gone well. Think he's well suited to play this role off the bench given the balance of this side
17. Hess: Monster. Superstar edge who is struggling a bit this year but when he puts it all together, it's going to be a wild ride. Bench spot suits him in 2018

Now **** off, i've got work to do.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Beautiful :lol:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Congratulations matt!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Also congrats Matt.

In case you were wondering, the Match-Ups go Baby Girl > First Boy.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Congratulations Matt, I hope Mum and bub are well. "Another little Aussie, oi, oi, oi"
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Pigman wrote: April 25, 2018, 9:10 pm
Finchy wrote: April 25, 2018, 7:29 pm I think we'd settle for Pigmans "******************** and you know it" segment this week.
To quote my boi Meek...

Hold on, wait a minute, y'all thought i was finished?

LETS DO THIS.

PIGMAN IS RIGHT AND YOU **** KNOW IT

1. Coote: Wighton is actually low key ****. I fully endorse sacking him over the alleged bashing **** fiasco to save cap money to throw at someone really good... and i say this accepting that Wighton has been one our best. Im not grading on a Stuart scale though.
2. Nick Cotric: I quite like Feldt, he's a really, REALLY good player, but he's a pure finisher, and a damn good one. Cotric who is NINETEEN has already shown he's capable of creating something from nothing. He's not a product of a system. Feldt probably is.
3. Croker: Justin O'Neill is solid, Croker is slightly above that. Tighter than i thought it would be.
4. Beej: Yeah i get it, he's frustrating, but it's Ben Hampton. Ben Hampton would be aghast if i picked him over Beej. Even if Beej sent photos of his sister to all his mates
5. Rapana: Dont know, dont care who's up against. Best in the game clause
6. Morgan: Blake Austin should not be playing FG. That's a fact. I couldnt have been more supportive of his signing but his last 18 months have been nothing short of an abomination. If he plays, i dont think we have a hope in **** hell of winning. He steadfastly refuses to tackle, it's Sam William-esque
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Granville
10. Paulo: He's a good player. Not worth what Parra are going to pay to get him back but a good player none the less and easily our best middle right now. Sucks to lose him. Even if i wont miss Stuart playing him deep beyond his means and seeing error after error come as a result.
11. Tapine: Might be controversial. Cooper is a damn good player but i think Tapine gives a little more in most areas of the game and has a little x-factor about him.
12. Whitehead: You wont find a bigger Hess fan than i, his functional strength and ability to push through bodies on the goal line is unlike anything i've seen in this code. But i need more runs on the board before i put him above a proven world class footballer like Whitehead, who might be the most underrated player in the game, sooking aside.
13. Lolo

14. Martin: Best utility available talent wise. Havilli almost stole this due to his size and toughness and ability to play some middle. I like him
15. Papalii: Definitely the best forward left standing. Quality player. Would start in the second row if he wasnt such a fat **** ****.
16. Boyd: Still believe in this fat **** too, but things have not gone well. Think he's well suited to play this role off the bench given the balance of this side
17. Hess: Monster. Superstar edge who is struggling a bit this year but when he puts it all together, it's going to be a wild ride. Bench spot suits him in 2018

Now **** off, i've got work to do.
Love your work Pigman.

Couple of things. I agree with the Tapine > Cooper selection. Despite Cooper being a good player, an Origin player, I still think he's over-rated. Yes he's good at scoring tries 5m out, running a good line off a Thurston short ball, but I don't see much else from him. Makes plenty of tackles, but I see him as a taller version of Fensom who scores more tries.

Unlike Hess who scores tries off his own power and strength, he relies almost purely on Thurston to put him through the holes.

I had similar thoughts a few years back when we were trying to sign Proctor from the Storm. I also thought he was over-rated, and only looked good scoring tries running off a Cronk short ball close to the line. From memory you and others disagreed with this sentiment, but IMO Proctor's done nothing since signing with the Titans.

Martin > Havili is an interesting one. Martin has the potential to be like Milford or Benji, but I've not seen much from him since he's been in first grade. Definitely has more talent and potential than Havili, but I think Havili is more likely to be a game breaker in this one. Chalk Martin up for a hat-trick now.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Why does Matt need time off ?

You'd think he gave birth..

Congrats to Matt and Mrs Matt and Matts kids.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Great to see the Pig segment back !

Congrats Matt and Mrs Matt.... great times !
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

I'm looking forward to WMS's contribution this week