Post by greeneyed »

2018 Rd 1 V Titans: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans
Sunday 11 March 5:30pm AEST 6:30pm AEDT
Robina Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League live Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix106.3
Weather: Shower or two. Partly cloudy. Medium (60 per cent) chance of showers. Winds south to southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h. Possible rainfall: 1 to 5 mm Min 20 Max 27

After a second placed finish in 2016, it was widely expected that the Canberra Raiders would challenge for a title in 2017, their first in over twenty years. It was not to be. The Raiders missed the finals and finished in tenth place. Canberra lost eight matches by six points or less, three by two points or less, and three in golden point.

But a new season brings new hope. It'll be tough for the Raiders, with hooker Josh Hodgson on the sideline for a major part of the year. But there's little doubt that the team has worked hard over the off season - and look very fit and are raring to go. The season starts for the Green Machine on the Gold Coast, a clash with the Titans.

In a slight surprise, Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has named Sam Williams as starting halfback, with Aidan Sezer moving to five-eighth and Blake Austin to come off the bench. As expected, Siliva Havili has been named as the starting hooker, with Craig Garvey on the reserves list. New recruit Charlie Gubb has missed the top 17, with Dunamis Lui beating him to a place on the interchange bench. It's a vote of confidence from the coach in Lui's recovery from an ACL injury.

This is the 100th match for Ricky Stuart as Canberra Raiders coach. It is also Josh Papalii’s 150th NRL and Raiders match and Luke Bateman’s 50th.

Titans recruits Jai Arrow, Leilani Latu and Bryce Cartwright will all start in a new-look forward pack, while hooker Mitch Rein has been named on the bench. Ryan James moves to to the second row, while Kevin Proctor (throat injury) has been passed as fit. Despite suffering pancreatitis and having shoulder surgery in the off season, Anthony Don has been named on the wing, with Philip Sami winning the other wing spot.

Late changes: Royce Hunt and Craig Garvey have been omitted from the Canberra Raiders' squad on match eve. The Titans have omitted Jai Whitbread and AJ Brimson.

Matt's Match-ups: Click here

History: Canberra has struggled a little against the latest incarnation of the Gold Coast, winning nine of 20 matches against Titans. Against previous Gold Coast teams, Canberra won 15 of the 17 games played between 1988 and 1998. The Raiders have won five of the past 10 match ups with the Gold Coast, including the only game played between the teams in 2017. The Raiders faced an injury riddled Titans in Round 6 last year, running out big 42-16 winners. Canberra does not have a good away record against the Titans, winning four of 11 games played on the Gold Coast. But the Raiders have won the last two matches played at Robina.

2017 Round 6 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

2016 Round 16 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

In this week's "History Happens" we go back to Round 13 of 2010 when the Raiders met the Titans at Canberra Stadium. Canberra dominated the first half, going to the break with a 22-6 lead. That lead was extended to 20 points early in the second half... before the Raiders somehow held off a big second half comeback from the Gold Coast. Canberra ultimately won, 28-24.

2010 Round 13 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

Form: The Raiders finished the 2017 season with a WWLWL record in their final five games, while the Titans finished on a seven game losing streak.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.67 favourites in this match, with the Titans paying $2.20. The Gold Coast has a 3.5 points start in the line betting.

Our tip: The Gold Coast Titans have a new coach, Garth Brennan, recruited from the Penrith Panthers, replacing former Raiders mentor Neil Henry. It is always dangerous playing a team under brand new management, with the players looking to impress the new boss. The Titans also have a number of new faces in the team, with Bryce Cartwright a significant addition at lock, and the experienced Michael Gordon taking over at full back. So while the Raiders are favourites, it is a danger match. The Titans are a bit of an unknown quantity and the Raiders also have a poor record on the Gold Coast.

Canberra faces the challenge of covering for the injured Josh Hodgson - and coming to grips with a new halves combination, with Williams, Sezer and Austin chopping and changing during the match. I'm not fully convinced that formula worked well on the Sunshine Coast. However, Williams will add his game management and kicking skills to the side. I'm also concerned that the bench forwards are a bit too light. However, I do think some players are going to have a point to prove after their 2017 performances. And we know if the top players are firing, they can be very damaging. I'm tipping a first up win for the Green Machine. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Sam Williams on being named as starting half back: "Ricky obviously sees a role I can play in the side, I guess Blake is more dynamic off the bench than I am. So, if we can start well and give Blake to come on and make his mark, which I am sure he will, it will put us in a good position."

Josh Papalii on the selection of Siliva Havili at hooker: "Losing [Josh Hodgson] was a big loss at the time, he's been around the training paddock and has taught a few of the young fellas some of the tricks. [Havili] will handle it all right. He had a good World Cup campaign there and I think he'll do all right."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Junior Paulo
9. Siliva Havili
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Josh Papalii
12. Joe Tapine
13. Elliott Whitehead

14. Blake Austin
15. Luke Bateman
16. Dunamis Lui
17. Sia Soliola

18. Charlie Gubb
19. Brad Abbey

Omitted: 20. Royce Hunt
21. Craig Garvey

Gold Coast Titans

1. Michael Gordon
2. Anthony Don
3. Dale Copley
4. Konrad Hurrell
5. Phillip Sami
6. Kane Elgey
7. Ash Taylor
8. Jai Arrow
9. Nathan Peats
10. Leilani Latu
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan James
13. Bryce Cartwright

14. Mitch Rein
15. Max King
16. Will Matthews
17. Morgan Boyle

18. Joe Greenwood
20. Tyronne Roberts-Davis

Omitted: 19. Jai Whitbread
21. Alexander Brimson

Officials:

Main referee: Henry Perenara, Assistant referee: Dave Munro
Touch judges: Adam Cassidy, Rohan Best

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLTitansRaiders
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2017 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: 2018 Rd 1 V Titans: Game Day

Post by BJ »

5.30pm kickoff on the Gold Coast.

Why do we always start the season with the hottest games of the year, in the hottest locations, at the earliest available kickoff times.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It could have been 2pm!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s pretty late for a Sunday game!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gangrenous wrote: March 6, 2018, 5:07 pm It’s pretty late for a Sunday game!
It's the timeslot no one cares about, the plodder game of the round.

And guess who plays at 6-30pm Sunday rnd 2 ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2018 Rd 1 V Titans: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

Broncos?

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:It could have been 2pm!
Good point. Ignore the no games in March to start before 4pm rule, just to give the raiders a good suntan.
gilby_gillard
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker, 2019 team

Post by gilby_gillard »

BJ wrote: March 6, 2018, 5:00 pm 5.30pm kickoff on the Gold Coast.

Why do we always start the season with the hottest games of the year, in the hottest locations, at the earliest available kickoff times.
The weather up here at the moment is terrible....rain rain and more rain. And not hot so should be ok
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I was on golf coast first weekend of February, was ‘cold’ and wet haha so strange.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

CJ42 wrote: March 7, 2018, 2:25 pm I was on golf coast first weekend of February, was ‘cold’ and wet haha so strange.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Where's the golf coast ?
Or
gulf coast ?
Or
golf course ?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote:5.30pm kickoff on the Gold Coast.

What are you talking about? 5.30pm on the Gold Coast is HEAPS better than 2pm or Round 1 in Townsville, both of which we’ve had to endure in recent seasons
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yeah this should be fine. Not 38 degrees in Canberra or Penrith, or stifling humidity in TVL.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:
BJ wrote:5.30pm kickoff on the Gold Coast.

What are you talking about? 5.30pm on the Gold Coast is HEAPS better than 2pm or Round 1 in Townsville, both of which we’ve had to endure in recent seasons
You might like to re read Nickman. I’m talking exactly about what you are talking about.

Why do we start the season either in Townsville or Gold Coast? Or play an afternoon game in Canberra or Penrith.

Remember one of the hottest games we have played in, was round 2 on the Gold Coast a few years ago where Fox Sports claimed it was over 50 degrees in the sun.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I reckon the hottest game was Round 1 in Penrith quite a few years ago now, when it was 40C.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:I reckon the hottest game was Round 1 in Penrith quite a few years ago now, when it was 40C.
Was it Penrith away round 1, followed by Gold Coast away round 2? Two scorchers.....
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

We really have bad luck against mitch rein
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Crusader wrote: March 8, 2018, 6:34 pm We really have bad luck against mitch rein
We do not have bad luck against him, we are just bad against him.

Odds on for a dummy-half try.

Rein to score into Canberra 1-12
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

BJ wrote: March 8, 2018, 1:29 pm
greeneyed wrote:I reckon the hottest game was Round 1 in Penrith quite a few years ago now, when it was 40C.
Was it Penrith away round 1, followed by Gold Coast away round 2? Two scorchers.....
I was at that game. was three years ago i believe. Coming from perth thinking on yeah canberra will be a nice 20 something, and get hit with a 42 deg day. Sitting in bay 68/69 in the sun all day..... It was a tough day
Perth Based Raiders Fan
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just checked it... it was 2013.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

greeneyed wrote: March 9, 2018, 7:15 pm Just checked it... it was 2013.
Coincided with Cruiser gate.

Great year that one, Not!
WorkChoice
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Bloody awful weather up here at the moment. Rainy and quite chilly.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

None of the teams seemed to announce who drops out 24hrs before hand

Thought it was 20 named tuesday, cut to 18 day before...

Vaccinated
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

cat wrote:None of the teams seemed to announce who drops out 24hrs before hand

21 then 19 24 hours before kick off.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

cat wrote:None of the teams seemed to announce who drops out 24hrs before hand

21 then 19 24 hours before kick off.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

I’m liking the ‘Forever Green’ Shirts the lads are wearing for the Captains Run, very nice.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: March 10, 2018, 2:50 pm I’m liking the ‘Forever Green’ Shirts the lads are wearing for the Captains Run, very nice.
Yeah, that should get us the win...
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Heat won't be an excuse for this game. Poor attitude in defence will, prove me wrong boys.... Please...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote:I’m liking the ‘Forever Green’ Shirts the lads are wearing for the Captains Run, very nice.
I beg to differ, the writing on the front is an eyesore
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game Day preview updated for 19 man squads: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32610&p=1568439#p1568439
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day you commies!!!!
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Here we go....

A little over 12hrs and its on.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day...... Go the Raiders!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We're back baby!

Every second article in the preseason was one of the players banging on about how they went into last year expecting it all to magically happen without doing the hard work. Other than a small handful of players, their attitude was absolute crap for most of the season and it showed.

If they don't come out in this game fired up to prove a point then there is something horribly wrong going on.

C'mon boys. :cmon
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

After watching the other games so far this round does anyone else have an uneasy feeling we'll be penalised into oblivion?

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Ginga wrote: March 11, 2018, 7:52 am After watching the other games so far this round does anyone else have an uneasy feeling we'll be penalised into oblivion?

Our ruck discipline was poor last year and looked the same in the trial. I'm fairly confident we will lose the penalty count today, it's how we respond that will decide is we win or lose.