Titans 13+
No votes

Total votes: 24

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: 2018 Rd 1 V Titans: Game Day

Post by Green eyed Mick »

raiderskater wrote: March 11, 2018, 7:45 pm In positives, I really, really, really like Havili. Good play reads and good service out of dummy half. Boyd and Paulo looked pretty good, big strong runs at the line and lots of ground made. I also thought we did a better job of wrapping the ball up than last year too, generally speaking.
Don't know what game you were watching but Paulo was easily our worst forward tonight.
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

Green Taipan wrote:
LP Raider wrote: March 11, 2018, 7:47 pm On a positive Havili was great, fantastic service we looked solid with him in defensive.

Hopefully Ricky actually reviews the game and gives the kid more game time.
When has RS ever objectively reviewed a game? He sees what he wants to see, which is, all his decisions and selections were rock solid. Even though I keep renewing my membership every year, in my heart of hearts I know that while he is the coach, supporters are destined for misery and heartache!
I so hope you are wrong. That he will demote todays idiots and send the message that enough is enough. But I fear you are right and that he will stick with the same so they can create the connections that they didn’t need to create in trials.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

PhilY wrote:
Green Taipan wrote:
LP Raider wrote: March 11, 2018, 7:47 pm On a positive Havili was great, fantastic service we looked solid with him in defensive.

When has RS ever objectively reviewed a game? He sees what he wants to see, which is, all his decisions and selections were rock solid. Even though I keep renewing my membership every year, in my heart of hearts I know that while he is the coach, supporters are destined for misery and heartache!
I so hope you are wrong. That he will demote todays idiots and send the message that enough is enough. But I fear you are right and that he will stick with the same so they can create the connections that they didn’t need to create in trials.

He said during the week it will take time to form combinations

Cause apparently you can't do that in trials
CRR

Post by CRR »

-TW- wrote: March 11, 2018, 8:21 pm
PhilY wrote:
Green Taipan wrote:

hes got 17 hurting players out there, give them some more time
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by PhilY »

-TW- wrote:
PhilY wrote:
Green Taipan wrote:

LoL, he’s 100% right, because they certainly didn’t succeed in the trial they did play!!

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Or the last three seasons of the same crap. Drop some players Ricky or I'm gonna consider dropping this team. I don't need this **** in my life.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Can someone tell me at what stage Sezer came on the field and and at what point the Titans started scoring tries?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I laughed out loud at full-time.

It's just not worth getting upset over. It's not even surprising to lose like that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Mullins_y2k »

I didn't laugh. I was gutted... Doesn't get any easier for me.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

I invited 6 Raiders members (who I have converted, and paid for their membership) over tonight for a bbq.

First half, we all laughed, and said "we will find a way to lose from here"
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

dubby wrote: March 11, 2018, 8:33 pm I laughed out loud at full-time.

It's just not worth getting upset over. It's not even surprising to lose like that.

It's become kind of fascinating.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

I'm that ****ed off I'm calm. So glad I didn't drive the 1000km to take my boy to his first game.... He doesn't need to think that's what a professional sporting team looks like.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

dubby wrote:I laughed out loud at full-time.

I’m glad you could laugh, for the first time in my life I questioned supporting the Raiders organization.

But I’ll be back next week for the same old.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

We should try playing Zero trials next year.
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by PhilY »

CRR wrote:
-TW- wrote: March 11, 2018, 8:21 pm
PhilY wrote:
Green Taipan wrote:

hes got 17 hurting players out there, give them some more time
More time? If my memory serves me right this is the 3rd season that they have been together, bar one player (Hodgson). How much more time is needed to form combinations?

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

PhilY wrote: March 11, 2018, 7:24 pm
T_R wrote:Im just laughing. It doesnt even hurt anymore. Its just funny now.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
LoL, exactly what I was thinking. I turned the volume to mute. Poured another glass of red and said ahh well, who cares, its just a bit of fun.

I was a bit the same. Surprised at how little I cared. Was pretty evident when they got it back to 24-24 that we're a poor side. Good sides don't blow 18-0 leads v the titans. Whether we won or not was sort of immaterial. What difference will 2 points make? The difference between last and 14th perhaps? We're a deadset bottom 4 team this year
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Love4Noa wrote: March 11, 2018, 8:33 pm Can someone tell me at what stage Sezer came on the field and and at what point the Titans started scoring tries?
Sezer came on. Then Bateman came on.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

dubby wrote: March 11, 2018, 8:33 pm I laughed out loud at full-time.

Correct. Not worth it
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Jason wrote:

I’m glad you could laugh, for the first time in my life I questioned supporting the Raiders organization.

In the past I would have gone full emo. I realised that didn't do me any good.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Gold Coast Titans defeat Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders have suffered a 30-28 defeat at the hands of the Gold Coast Titans at CBUS Super Stadium.

Three tries in the opening ten minutes gave the Raiders an 18-0 lead as Sivila Havili opened the scoring on his club debut. However a last minute try to Hurrell levelled the scores before Gordon sealed the win with a simple conversion.

Gold Coast Titans 30 (Tries: Proctor, Elgey, Sami, Copley, Hurrell Goals: Gordon 5) def Canberra Raiders 28 (Tries: Havili, Wighton, Whitehead, Paulo, Leilua Goals: Croker 3, Sezer

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... t-raiders/

Titans stage great escape to beat Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/11/Gol ... a-Raiders/

Sezer's homecoming in unfamiliar role: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/11/can ... liar-role/

Brennan expects greater consistency from Taylor: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/11/gol ... sh-taylor/

Match highlights: Titans notch biggest comeback win: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... r-raiders/

Raiders press conference: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... onference/

Gallery: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/03 ... -v-titans/
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

dubby wrote:
Jason wrote:

In the past I would have gone full emo. I realised that didn't do me any good.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That’s very true, it doesn’t help does it.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Sticky's press conference doesn't inspire much confidence.
gilby_gillard
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker, 2019 team

Post by gilby_gillard »

Neeeegz wrote: March 11, 2018, 8:29 pm Or the last three seasons of the same crap. Drop some players Ricky or I'm gonna consider dropping this team. I don't need this **** in my life.
See ya
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

While I agree that blowing a lead of that magnitude shouldn't be put on referees, sometimes the timing and the circumstances can be too much to overcome... So while our defence retreated all half and they offloaded at will, we just couldn't catch a break on 50-50s in the second half...

**full disclosure, Whitehead looked dangerously close to overrunning the ball on his try**

The ones that spring to mind were:
- Sezer being tackled by Ryan James blatantly offside standing half a metre in front of the goal posts when we played it 8 metres out... Borderline professional foul...
- Rapana shielding the ball over the dead ball line late in the game, gets tackled without the ball by Copley, so his knee ends up knocking it dead... Referee points to the posts for a drop out instead of a penalty to us...
- Sezer being called for a knock on about 30 out from their line (by the referee standing in the defensive line, not the pocket) when he drops it onto his knee and it bounces behind him...
- Sezer got done for a late penalty before the one the young guy Sami scores in the corner even though he'd rolled to the side of the ruck... Admittedly Williams gave a blatant penalty away after, but that doesn't happen if the first isn't blown...
- The huge forward pass in the lead up in the last set before they scored...

All of these calls occurred when we were starved of possession and field position... That's five sets where possession swings in their favour... So while our shortcomings were apparent, sometimes you just need a bit of luck that you don't get...
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

The result of that match has just sent me into overdrive of anger and disappointment.

I expected us to loose tonight - but 18-0 up against the wooden spooners in the 1st round ?..

At least last season when we went to crap there was always that hope of turning it around before it was to late - that evidence is non existent this season and just reinforces that we will be a bottom 3 club - we have lost everything that we achieved 2 yrs ago.

We need a major clean out.

Keep Rapana, Cortic, Crocker, Tapine, Papalii, Whitehead, Hodgson, Boyd the rest as well as the coach can leave thank you .
Last edited by scotchberry on March 11, 2018, 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Seriously question weather we can move forward with both Joey and Blake Austin in the side. They both just can’t defend. Might have to put up with joey because there’s no quality centres in the squad to replace him but shift out Austin, play sezer at 6 and Garvey on the bench, At least sezer can Defend.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Hazza wrote: March 11, 2018, 8:49 pm
PhilY wrote: March 11, 2018, 7:24 pm
T_R wrote:Im just laughing. It doesnt even hurt anymore. Its just funny now.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
LoL, exactly what I was thinking. I turned the volume to mute. Poured another glass of red and said ahh well, who cares, its just a bit of fun.

I was a bit the same. Surprised at how little I cared. Was pretty evident when they got it back to 24-24 that we're a poor side. Good sides don't blow 18-0 leads v the titans. Whether we won or not was sort of immaterial. What difference will 2 points make? The difference between last and 14th perhaps? We're a deadset bottom 4 team this year
I'm very much the same. First time in years I'm not a member, nor do I feel bad for not renewing. A good mate of mine and I usually drive down to Canberra for a few games each year, we plan it out pre-season. This year we've made no plans and he's not that keen either.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

scotchberry wrote: March 11, 2018, 9:41 pm The full 80 minutes of that match has just sent me into overdrive of anger and disappointment.

At least last season when we went to crap there was always that hope of turning it around before it was to late - that evidence is non existent this season and just reinforces that we will be a bottom 3 club - we have lost everything that we achieved 2 yrs ago.

Keep Rapana, Cortic, Crocker, Tapine, Papalii, Whitehead, Hodgson, Boyd the rest as well as the coach can leave thank you .
Serious question- in how many other teams in the comp do you think Croker would get a start at centre?
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Billy Walker wrote: March 11, 2018, 9:57 pm
scotchberry wrote: March 11, 2018, 9:41 pm The full 80 minutes of that match has just sent me into overdrive of anger and disappointment.

Serious question- in how many other teams in the comp do you think Croker would get a start at centre?
Dragons, Warriors, Panthers, Cowboys, West Tigers, Titans, Knights, Sea Eagles, Roosters, Sharks, Eels, Bulldogs,
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

It certainly was disheartening to see so many of last year’s flaws on show again - particularly the right hand side defence. The thought of Williams and Leilua defending together on that side is genuinely the stuff of nightmares. Not sold on the Sezer at hooker either experiment tbh.

I thought Havili showed a bit, Boyd looks a lot better than last year, Papa and Tapine looked strong too. All of the backs had some decent moments with the ball in hand, albeit mixed with some pretty forgettable moments without it. I still believe this is a good enough squad to be competitive, though a couple of injuries and a very long year could indeed be on the cards.

The start of every NRL season is always very up and down - hopefully the guys can pick themselves up and play better next week.
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Austin was rubbish
Sezer is not a hooker.
Williams did well
Boyd is tooooooooooooo slllloooowww
Croker just got smashed
Wighton did well
Havalli would be such a goo impact player off bench
You will never see Raiders name a grandfinal side with lui or bateman get them out and start blooding young players
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL: Canberra Raiders drop season opener to Gold Coast Titans

The Canberra Raiders' horror run of close losses has continued and coach Ricky Stuart says their response could define them as contenders or pretenders. The Raiders coughed up an 18-point lead to lose their season opener against the Gold Coast Titans 30-28 in front of 10238 fans at Robina Stadium on Sunday night.

"Possession was the indicator and it's a bit of a kick and hope that they score off. Last year there was individuals that probably needed to make better choices in their football to close out games. It's important how we handle that now emotionally to get back on the horse and go again."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0xbbi.html

NRL talking points: Canberra Raiders set for another roller coaster season: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0xbbj.html
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Watching the press conference and the first question directed to our captain regarding the match and he totally absolves himself of responsibility - we have a horrible no accountability culture at this club
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

I must admit I wan't expecting the start we made but sadly I was expecting the finish. I flipped over to the cricket for a bit and came back and forwards as we let it slip again. Try to keep expectations low so can't be so disappointed.

How many times do you reckon these two lines have been written on the forum over the past season and today ??
Leilua cannot defend. His decision making is awful.
Blake Austin cannot defend. His decision making is awful.

I question their heart too on that effort.
Last edited by Sun Coast Raider on March 11, 2018, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

scotchberry wrote: March 11, 2018, 10:08 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 11, 2018, 9:57 pm

Dragons, Warriors, Panthers, Cowboys, West Tigers, Titans, Knights, Sea Eagles, Roosters, Sharks, Eels, Bulldogs,
I'd have Dane Gagai and Waqa Blake ahead of him. It pains me to say it but you couldn't pick him ahead of Dugan. I think Euan Aiken showed a lot for the dragons the other night. Croker is solid player and seems like a champion bloke but I think you need to put sentiment aside at times and really consider if he is ever going to be a premiership player?