Why Mal Meninga should be the next Immortal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Why Mal Meninga should be the next Immortal

Post by Northern Raider »

Andrew Johns named last time so for consistency they should be naming Lockyer this time.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The whole shape of the Immortals has changed by opening it up to pre WWII players. For a start Messenger needs to be included, first priority. I hope it is Messenger and Meninga. The argument you “can’t go back” is no longer valid.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

They should just include 3 or 4 pre-war immortals at once. I would think Dave Brown would be another. You really need those players chosen by Historians and not a panel though.
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

greeneyed wrote: March 19, 2018, 10:45 pm Dally Messenger has to come in, now the rules are changed. I hope Mal is the other player.
Read a story about this today and have to admit it is a no brainer to bring him in. Mind you I would've been in the camp of one at a time preferably. But perhaps one historical figure and one more recent.

I struggle to go with the older players as I simply never saw them play and no one I know saw them play. Rugby League in Sydney seems to be a requirement for the older players, not sure that is a worthwhile measure. At least with the older cricketers we have - most often - detailed statistics and it is easier to compare in a sport like cricket. Too much suburban folk lore in early Rugby League.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sun Coast Raider wrote: March 20, 2018, 5:59 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 19, 2018, 10:45 pm Dally Messenger has to come in, now the rules are changed. I hope Mal is the other player.
Read a story about this today and have to admit it is a no brainer to bring him in. Mind you I would've been in the camp of one at a time preferably. But perhaps one historical figure and one more recent.

I struggle to go with the older players as I simply never saw them play and no one I know saw them play. Rugby League in Sydney seems to be a requirement for the older players, not sure that is a worthwhile measure. At least with the older cricketers we have - most often - detailed statistics and it is easier to compare in a sport like cricket. Too much suburban folk lore in early Rugby League.
That's a fair comment... but rugby league wouldn't exist in this country without Dally Messenger. I agree, one old and one modern player would be a good result.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Lui_Bon wrote: February 22, 2018, 9:54 pm I don't care about who should be an alleged Immortal because no one else should be. Piss the concept off altogether and then the debate about recognising greatness might start to have some meaning.
The original immortals concept was born out of an advertising campaign for famous grouse scotch whiskey, sponsors of the Parramatta Eels in the late 70s, it was actually a competition to "Name your immortal Rugby League Player" it gathered momentum and RLW ended up championing the concept.
Now its actually a laughable joke with zero credibility since it was used by certain "ARL" loyalists who are or were on the selection panel that chose to pick Johns over Mal as payback for Mals alignment to superleague and THAT regrettable misspoken statement Mal made at the Cronulla Sharks RLFC 30 yrs ago, it seems Mal has had his haters for a long time who will keep hating.I really hope Mal gets it but i doubt he will. Haters gona keep on hating :|
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes, it is pretty clear that the ARL/Sydney mafia stood in the way of Meninga. It was disgraceful.
Stagtime
David Shillington
Favourite Player: David Furner

Post by Stagtime »

If it’s two named, I would think it would be Messenger and Meninga. Is anyone else concerned about the talk of Lockyer as a immortal? I thought as a fullback he was the best player in the game and as a attacking half very good, but his defence was pretty average. If he is nominated he should be thanking Toni Carroll.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lockyer is a good case as to why you must wait five years before you assess him. As he was retiring, everyone was demanding his inclusion... but he's down the list for mine.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

edwahu wrote: March 20, 2018, 10:41 am They should just include 3 or 4 pre-war immortals at once. I would think Dave Brown would be another. You really need those players chosen by Historians and not a panel though.
I like this idea ed. The original Immortals were four Post WW2 players. Why not balance that idea with 4 pre-War players. The sole criteria for picking Immortals is and always has been, on field performance. I was not fortunate enough to see these pre-War players but using on field performance it would begin with Dally Messenger and could include the likes of Dave Brown (point scoring master), Frank Burge who played mostly lock but also 2nd row and prop and held the try scoring record for forwards until over taken by Beaver Menzies and possibly Harold Horder who could be the only winger named as an Immortal. Plenty to choose from and as I never saw them play can only go on the stories of 'old blokes' when I was a young bloke. Historian statisticians would hold sway.

That would leave space for 2 more 'modern' players. Mal is an obvious choice and there are several other 'best of their' timers who could join him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Meninga should be there in front of Fulton, let's face it. It is time it was corrected.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I agree that Mal should be there, but the timelines don't line up with 'in front of Fulton'. Fulton was an original Immortal named in 1981. At that time Mal (1981) was 21. His long career still lay before him.

Just an observation on the skills of the players named as Immortals. I know most on here never saw them play. They were the very best of their time. I say that because the rules were very different. I'll use Reg Gasnier as an example. Most of his career was played under the 3 yard ruck rule. Defenders were only 3 yards behind the marker at the play the ball. His acceleration to top speed would happen in about 3 or 4 steps. The nearest I have seen to him for acceleration as a center would be possibly Steve Renouf or of current players James Roberts. He was exhilarating to watch at all levels of the game. International matches were real contests in his time. What went on in tackles has rightfully been ruled out of the game, but was the 'norm' in his time. The footballs were made of leather. If it rained the leather became greasy and slippery. Not like modern technology footballs. The leather also soaked up the water and mud so that it became heavier and heavier. The ball had to go backwards or it was a forward pass. None of this 'goes backwards from the hands but floats forward' stuff. If it was passed and the ball went forward due to a tail wind then it was a forward pass. The players had to pass the ball further backwards, ie adjust to the conditions. Every yard (meter) made had to be earned. When Gasnier got into the clear he would throw his head back at top pace. It was real catch me if you can stuff. His wingers loved him as well because he was not a selfish player. He could create the break and then draw the fullback to give his wingers the best opportunity. It was a pity when his ACL injury brought him back to the field.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What I was trying to say Red is that Meninga was better than Fulton, IMO.