Green Machine Podcast 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Re: Green Machine Podcast 2018

Post by SOULS 04 »

I actually didn’t have any issue with the decision. Just stated that he was blocked on his way through.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
THE GREEN MACHINE PODCAST - https://soundcloud.com/user-792269565
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

Which I guess makes your point. If we are talking about the Hodgson obstruction. I guess in this case no players were being obstructed in trying to make a tackle?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Surely if a kick chaser is blocked and the kick recipient makes a break on the return he was impeded from making the tackle?
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Disrespect to the great Billy Slater. Not good. Disrespect to Meninga, Daley and Lockyer as well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good show apart from that! :)
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: July 17, 2018, 11:41 pm Disrespect to the great Billy Slater. Not good. Disrespect to Meninga, Daley and Lockyer as well.
:lol:
No way Slater deserved the Wally Lewis medal. It was a farce. Im happy with our comments on this.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Still can believe we missed the goal kicking issue.
Options are:
Sammy
Rapa
Abbey
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: July 18, 2018, 7:17 am
greeneyed wrote: July 17, 2018, 11:41 pm Disrespect to the great Billy Slater. Not good. Disrespect to Meninga, Daley and Lockyer as well.
No way Slater deserved the Wally Lewis medal. It was a farce. Im happy with our comments on this.
Why does every panel or board have to be stacked in NSW favour before they accept the result? That’s been de rigeur for years, and because for once it’s the other way around, there’s an out cry.

Then there’s the voting system that’s suddenly no longer acceptable... Actually assessing each match objectively, one by one and awarding points, produces the best result. But now it seems like the “vibe’ at the end is going to be better... at least according to Peter Sterling. But that’s how the Dally M positional awards are determined... and look at what a farce that is! (Stacked in favour of NSW to boot!)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: July 18, 2018, 7:17 am Still can believe we missed the goal kicking issue.
Options are:
Sammy
Rapa
Abbey
Austin too. But Sam surely gets it?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: July 18, 2018, 8:35 am
Why does every panel or board have to be stacked in NSW favour before they accept the result? That’s been de rigeur for years, and because for once it’s the other way around, there’s an out cry.

Then there’s the voting system that’s suddenly no longer acceptable... Actually assessing each match objectively, one by one and awarding points, produces the best result. But now it seems like the “vibe’ at the end is going to be better... at least according to Peter Sterling. But that’s how the Dally M positional awards are determined... and look at what a farce that is! (Stacked in favour of NSW to boot!)
Love ya work GE, but when there are many many many QLD supporters out there who think the fact that Slater won is a joke (BTW Brent Tate was interviewed the next day and laughed, and couldn't believe it. Nor could Petro when he was asked), I think its safe to say this was a joke. He wasn't even the best QLDer on show this series. TBH, the fact that he is a retiring super star makes it even worse. Makes the smell worse.

That doesn't even take into account that there are 2 QLDers scoring the games, and that the only panel member willing to show his points was Daley. Locky has been confronted half a dozen times about it now, including by Freddie, which was pretty funny, and probably a conflict of interest, but he couldn't give a straight answer. The best he could come up with was 'it was by a big margin', and a lot of um's and arrh's between.

I can understand that the NSW points were probably shared more evenly, with players taking points off each other, I can see who that might factor. But lets take the man in the opposite number as an example, and of course Tedesco played all 3 games.
He ran for over 500 meters (S=216)
He scored 2 tries. (S=0)
He had 2 try assists. (S=1)
4 line breaks. (S=2)
Tedesco's 17 tackle breaks were the most in an Origin game, surpassing Maroons fullback Gary Belcher, who nailed 16 busts in 1990. (S=7)
He was MOTM in game 1 too. (S=0)

I get that stats don't tell the whole picture, but if someone in the same position is at least TWICE as good statistically, they have had more influence on the games.

Now, for my take on the QLDers, even every briefly.
GI was their best player in game 1. Played a captains knock in a beaten side. Holmes and Gagai were right up there too, always dangerous.
Ponga was their best player in game 2. GI, Holmes and Gagai were all up there again. QLD really dropped the ball in this one, and should have won.
DCE was their best player in game 3. Slater was electric for the first 15mins of game 3, and was only good there after, in what was a very open game. I can see how he would have got points in this game.

So, the Wally Lewis medallist, wasn't the best in his position.
Wasn't the best player in his side for any game.
His team didn't win the series.
TBH, the only game he was a top 4 player was game 3, and he wasn't MOTM.

So... how can you argue he was Man of the Series?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote:

Love ya work GE, but when there are many many many QLD supporters out there who think the fact that Slater won is a joke (BTW Brent Tate was interviewed the next day and laughed, and couldn't believe it. Nor could Petro when he was asked), I think its safe to say this was a joke. He wasn't even the best QLDer on show this series. TBH, the fact that he is a retiring super star makes it even worse. Makes the smell worse.

That doesn't even take into account that there are 2 QLDers scoring the games, and that the only panel member willing to show his points was Daley. Locky has been confronted half a dozen times about it now, including by Freddie, which was pretty funny, and probably a conflict of interest, but he couldn't give a straight answer. The best he could come up with was 'it was by a big margin', and a lot of um's and arrh's between.

I can understand that the NSW points were probably shared more evenly, with players taking points off each other, I can see who that might factor. But lets take the man in the opposite number as an example, and of course Tedesco played all 3 games.
He scored 2 tries. (S=0)
4 line breaks. (S=2)
Tedesco's 17 tackle breaks were the most in an Origin game, surpassing Maroons fullback Gary Belcher, who nailed 16 busts in 1990. (S=7)

I get that stats don't tell the whole picture, but if someone in the same position is at least TWICE as good statistically, they have had more influence on the games.

GI was their best player in game 1. Played a captains knock in a beaten side. Holmes and Gagai were right up there too, always dangerous.
Ponga was their best player in game 2. GI, Holmes and Gagai were all up there again. QLD really dropped the ball in this one, and should have won.
DCE was their best player in game 3. Slater was electric for the first 15mins of game 3, and was only good there after, in what was a very open game. I can see how he would have got points in this game.

Because Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley and Darren Lockyer judged it so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: July 18, 2018, 9:14 am

He scored 2 tries. (S=0)
4 line breaks. (S=2)

Come on Matt - you know your just banging your head against a wall right?? There is no room for common sense here...

Another cracking pod by the way.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cheers CR
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: July 18, 2018, 1:41 pm

He scored 2 tries. (S=0)
4 line breaks. (S=2)

Come on Matt - you know your just banging your head against a wall right?? There is no room for common sense here...

If this were the other way around, the NSW media would be in absolute OUTRAGE that the credibility of the judges is being questioned, the winner is being disrespected etc. But because this is the overlords of NSW, the people assigned with the right of divine rule, then it’s perfectly OK to disrespect the winner and the judges. And no one blinks. Indeed the NSW media juggernaut jumps in behind it. Doesn’t suprprise me one bit.

Queenslanders... stand proud. Billy Slater is the best fullback I’ve ever seen and I’m glad he’s won the award. It’s just recognition for a player who one day might be an Immortal. He will certainly deserve it if that happens.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: July 18, 2018, 4:00 pm
Coastalraider wrote: July 18, 2018, 1:41 pm

He scored 2 tries. (S=0)
4 line breaks. (S=2)

If this were the other way around, the NSW media would be in absolute OUTRAGE that the credibility of the judges is being questioned, the winner is being disrespected etc. But because this is the overlords of NSW, the people assigned with the right of divine rule, then it’s perfectly OK to disrespect the winner and the judges. And no one blinks. Indeed the NSW media juggernaut jumps in behind it. Doesn’t suprprise me one bit.

Queenslanders... stand proud. Billy Slater is the best fullback I’ve ever seen and I’m glad he’s won the award. It’s just recognition for a player who one day might be an Immortal. He will certainly deserve it if that happens.
GE, Ive got a huge amount of respect for what you do here, and I agree that he is the best fullback Ive ever seen. I think he will, and should, become an immortal eventually, because he has singlehandedly changed the way a fullback plays the game.

But if you think he was the best player in that series, you need to take the goggles off. he has had significantly more impact in nearly every other series he has played. Matts points show that he was beaten by at least one other player in all facets of the game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But the judges decided to the contrary. Why can’t NSW accept the decision of the judges in good nature just once? They’ve impugned the reputations of the Australian coach, Laurie Daley and Darren Lockyer. They’ve won one two series in a decade or so, and now all of a sudden it’s OK for the NSW coach to insult one of the greatest, if not the best ever, fullback in history? And an Immortal or two in prospect? All players superior to Brad Fittler. Talk about grudges and chips on shoulder... superiority complex more likely, despite little reason for it.

Fair dinkum,talk about bad winners.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:But the judges decided to the contrary. Why can’t NSW accept the decision of the judges in good nature just once? They’ve impugned the reputations of the Australian coach, Laurie Daley and Darren Lockyer. They’ve won one two series in a decade or so, and now all of a sudden it’s OK for the NSW coach to insult one of the greatest, if not the best ever, fullback in history? And an Immortal or two in prospect? All players superior to Brad Fittler. Talk about grudges and chips on shoulder... superiority complex more likely, despite little reason for it.

Fair dinkum,talk about bad winners.
How about this GE. I don’t have a dog in the fight. I don’t care if NSW or QLD wins.

That decision is a farce and the judges deserve all the impugning coming to them for a decision clearly made on sentimentality.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But that’s the point. It can’t be sentimentality. It was done, the average of three judges, awarding 4-3-2-1 points after each game without any collusion.

We see this all the time with our Fans’ Choice Player of the Year. People constantly throw up players for Meninga Medal at the end of the year who really don’t deserve it. That is sentimentality. It is not based on an average of objective assessments after every game. It’s ridiculous that NSW fans are blowing up over this. It is what it is... bad luck, Slater was the player of the series, just like Brad Clyde won the Churchill Medal in the 1991 Grand Final. I didn’t see too many Raiders fans complaining about that in 1991.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Then why hide the 4 3 2 1 votes from the inquiring public?

Most likely because they were assigned through sentimental lenses.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

When did NSW fans ever demand the votes before? How about when a NSW player won? Are you just tying to attempt to further insult the individual judges? It’s been unseemly and downright poor sportsmanship from Brad Fittler whinging in the dressing room post match, down and ever since. Really poor sportsmanship.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Do you think Billy Slater was the best player in the series, GE?
Honestly?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: July 18, 2018, 6:30 pm When did NSW fans ever demand the votes before? How about when a NSW player won? Are you just tying to attempt to further insult the individual judges? It’s been unseemly and downright poor sportsmanship from Brad Fittler whinging in the dressing room post match, down and ever since. Really poor sportsmanship.
Here are the Wally Lewis Medalists and the State who won the series.

2004 – Craig Fitzgibbon (NSW) - NSW 2-1
2005 – Anthony Minichiello (NSW) - NSW 2-1
2006 – Darren Lockyer (QLD) - QLD 2-1
2007 – Cameron Smith (QLD) - QLD 2-1
2008 – Johnathan Thurston (QLD) - QLD 2-1
2009 – Greg Inglis (QLD) - QLD 2-1
2010 – Billy Slater (QLD) - QLD 3-0
2011 – Cameron Smith (QLD) - QLD 2-1
2012 – Nate Myles (QLD) - QLD 2-1
2013 – Cameron Smith (QLD) - QLD 2-1
2014 – Paul Gallen (NSW) - NSW 2-1
2015 – Corey Parker (QLD) - QLD 2-1
2016 – Cameron Smith (QLD) - QLD 2-1
2017 – Dane Gagai (QLD) - QLD 2-1
2018 - Billy Slater (QLD) - NSW 2-1

Hmmmmmm.... I dont see an abnormality
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:When did NSW fans ever demand the votes before? How about when a NSW player won? Are you just tying to attempt to further insult the individual judges? It’s been unseemly and downright poor sportsmanship from Brad Fittler whinging in the dressing room post match, down and ever since. Really poor sportsmanship.
I’m not a NSW fan.

Why would people demand to see the votes when reasonable decisions are made? People ask how the decision was made when the outcome is baffling. This is the first time the medal has been given to a loser. One that played only one meaningful game in the series at that! One that was not clearly the most outstanding player. People have a right to ask questions.

What would you have said if Paul Gallen got the medal last year? You would have lost your **** mind. Rightfully so.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: July 18, 2018, 7:51 pm
greeneyed wrote:When did NSW fans ever demand the votes before? How about when a NSW player won? Are you just tying to attempt to further insult the individual judges? It’s been unseemly and downright poor sportsmanship from Brad Fittler whinging in the dressing room post match, down and ever since. Really poor sportsmanship.
I’m not a NSW fan.

Why would people demand to see the votes when reasonable decisions are made? People ask how the decision was made when the outcome is baffling. This is the first time the medal has been given to a loser. One that played only one meaningful game in the series at that! One that was not clearly the most outstanding player. People have a right to ask questions.

What would you have said if Paul Gallen got the medal last year? You would have lost your **** mind. Rightfully so.
Well that would have been strange as he didn’t play in the series.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Well that would have been pretty outrageous now wouldn’t it? Bet you would have demanded the votes!

Fine, 2016 smarty pants. What if he’d been given it in 2016?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How did you guys not give Austin any points for the Bulldogs game?

Sure he played a small portion of the game, but (unlike Billy Slater) his impact on that game was undeniable!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: July 19, 2018, 8:21 am How did you guys not give Austin any points for the Bulldogs game?

Sure he played a small portion of the game, but (unlike Billy Slater) his impact on that game was undeniable!
I didn't coz I'm bitter and twisted.
Does that help?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Well at least you’re honest
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

I did give austin points for that game but thats why we have a panel to hopefully get a fair judging. Also Matt is bitter.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

SOULS 04 wrote:I did give austin points for that game but thats why we have a panel to hopefully get a fair judging. Also Matt is bitter.
Onya Soulsy. Guess you’re Laurie Daley in this farce ImageImage
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

About 20 mins into this week’s ep. Got a couple of bones to pick with you Matt.

- You cannot say that a flag is a whistle on sideline calls etc. but not for knock ons. The players can’t be expected to read the mind of the touchie to know why the flag was up. A flag is a whistle no matter what.
- Bad forward passes happen every week I agree. But only in the sense of not calling them. Calling backward passes forward is much rarer, and I think you’d find they’re skewed against certain teams. We had two in this game, Hodgson got pinged for one earlier that also looked fine!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: July 25, 2018, 6:15 am
SOULS 04 wrote:I did give austin points for that game but thats why we have a panel to hopefully get a fair judging. Also Matt is bitter.
Onya Soulsy. Guess you’re Laurie Daley in this farce ImageImage
As long as Im Big Mal.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: July 26, 2018, 8:48 am About 20 mins into this week’s ep. Got a couple of bones to pick with you Matt.

- You cannot say that a flag is a whistle on sideline calls etc. but not for knock ons. The players can’t be expected to read the mind of the touchie to know why the flag was up. A flag is a whistle no matter what.
- Bad forward passes happen every week I agree. But only in the sense of not calling them. Calling backward passes forward is much rarer, and I think you’d find they’re skewed against certain teams. We had two in this game, Hodgson got pinged for one earlier that also looked fine!
From the rules of the game, "The touch judges cannot stop play but can signal the referee to enable them to assist the referee." A flag is a signal. Not a stop in play.

As for the forward passes, I did say that its usually a case of not calling them. However its wasnt the 1st backward pass that was called forward last weekend, and it wasn't the last either - I remember a couple on Sunday that was flat at worst called back. BJs was at least 2m back, and therefore another bad call. I still think its not as bad as the Katoa try. That had several errors all packed into 1 play.