Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 359
Joined: February 26, 2014, 2:54 pm
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by MS_1302 » July 18, 2018, 8:11 am

Its becoming clearer each day that there will be no more external signings by the raiders for 2019 and all the talk of Norman, Elgey or any others is not going to happen. Prove me wrong Don but jeez

User avatar
Dusty
Jason Croker
Posts: 4668
Joined: December 21, 2009, 12:25 pm
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Dusty » July 18, 2018, 9:16 am

I hope you’re wrong. If we are truely in cap trouble still then DJF and whoever else is involved in cap management need to be shot!
Only weeks/months ago we had money to offer Boyd, Paulo and Austin. We’d already signed Sutton (surely cheap), and reportedly signed Bateman (surely only moderate $). So where has all the cash gone??? Oldfield and Havili? Have they been upgraded to high paying contracts? Surely Sezer wasn’t upgraded?
Sure I understand that the likes of Cotric may have needed a slight upgrade but the rumoured ‘lack of cap room’ has me flabbergasted Image


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2019: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Oldfield (Rapana) 6. Williams 7. Sezer 8. Sutton 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Papalii 11. Tapine 12. Whitehead 13. J.Bateman ----
14. Havili 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Lui

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 32184
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Matt » July 18, 2018, 9:23 am

Dusty wrote:
July 18, 2018, 9:16 am
I hope you’re wrong. If we are truely in cap trouble still then DJF and whoever else is involved in cap management need to be shot!
Only weeks/months ago we had money to offer Boyd, Paulo and Austin. We’d already signed Sutton (surely cheap), and reportedly signed Bateman (surely only moderate $). So where has all the cash gone??? Oldfield and Havili? Have they been upgraded to high paying contracts? Surely Sezer wasn’t upgraded?
Sure I understand that the likes of Cotric may have needed a slight upgrade but the rumoured ‘lack of cap room’ has me flabbergasted Image


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Bateman is and English international. He will be on decent coin.
Sutton has played over 100 ESL games. He isn't on bottom dollar.
I would suspect Oldfield's deal would be similar to his current one, maybe a slight upgrade.
Havili came on bottom dollar, no way his new deal is that cheap.
By all accounts Sezer's deal was similar-ish, cap inflation only, therefore at least as far as cap is concerned his % is the same.
Cotric was upgraded from a rookie deal.
Soliola re-signed too.

Is all that cap space taken up, god I hope not, but I suspect its less left than most are hoping.

Raiders666
Jason Croker
Posts: 4002
Joined: June 9, 2013, 11:25 am
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Raiders666 » July 18, 2018, 9:39 am

Lui probably getting an upgrade too

User avatar
Dusty
Jason Croker
Posts: 4668
Joined: December 21, 2009, 12:25 pm
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Dusty » July 18, 2018, 9:53 am

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 9:23 am
Dusty wrote:
July 18, 2018, 9:16 am
I hope you’re wrong. If we are truely in cap trouble still then DJF and whoever else is involved in cap management need to be shot!
Only weeks/months ago we had money to offer Boyd, Paulo and Austin. We’d already signed Sutton (surely cheap), and reportedly signed Bateman (surely only moderate $). So where has all the cash gone??? Oldfield and Havili? Have they been upgraded to high paying contracts? Surely Sezer wasn’t upgraded?
Sure I understand that the likes of Cotric may have needed a slight upgrade but the rumoured ‘lack of cap room’ has me flabbergasted Image


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Bateman is and English international. He will be on decent coin.
Sutton has played over 100 ESL games. He isn't on bottom dollar.
I would suspect Oldfield's deal would be similar to his current one, maybe a slight upgrade.
Havili came on bottom dollar, no way his new deal is that cheap.
By all accounts Sezer's deal was similar-ish, cap inflation only, therefore at least as far as cap is concerned his % is the same.
Cotric was upgraded from a rookie deal.
Soliola re-signed too.

Is all that cap space taken up, god I hope not, but I suspect its less left than most are hoping.
Agreed on most points Matt. I understand that the two English players are experienced with Bateman being an international. However, the ESL salary cap is much less than ours so I'd assume that a moderate contract here would be comparable to an international players contract over there... I could be way off the mark with that.

I'd be hoping we had $750,000 + left to make a play at a half and a prop. At the very least you'd like to think we at least have around the $400,000 - $500,000 to make a play at 2 younger prospects or one solid performer???
2019: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Oldfield (Rapana) 6. Williams 7. Sezer 8. Sutton 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Papalii 11. Tapine 12. Whitehead 13. J.Bateman ----
14. Havili 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Lui

julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11486
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by julian87 » July 18, 2018, 11:07 am

Raiders666 wrote:
July 18, 2018, 9:39 am
Lui probably getting an upgrade too
You’d hope not.

That’s how the cap gets so full up. Lui is a bottom dollar player. If he attracts more money elsewhere so be it, bring in someone else on bottom dollar to do the same job.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18893
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu » July 18, 2018, 12:16 pm

I don't think anyone that plays regular first grade re-signs on bottom dollar. If we offer Lui minimum he will get a deal elsewhere. I think more realistically he is 200k to keep, whether we should at that price is another question.

User avatar
Coastalraider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1952
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Coastalraider » July 18, 2018, 12:53 pm

edwahu wrote:
July 18, 2018, 12:16 pm
I don't think anyone that plays regular first grade re-signs on bottom dollar. If we offer Lui minimum he will get a deal elsewhere. I think more realistically he is 200k to keep, whether we should at that price is another question.
I agree mate - so if Lui does get a better offer, let him go and use Knight to play his role. Then Guler can fill the Knight role. Both of those guys WOULD be on pretty much bottom dollar and do a very similar job, and use the money saved on Lui to put towards a genuine upgrade to fill the Boyd/Paulo void.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 32184
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Matt » July 18, 2018, 3:52 pm

Dusty wrote:
July 18, 2018, 9:53 am
Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 9:23 am
Dusty wrote:
July 18, 2018, 9:16 am
I hope you’re wrong. If we are truely in cap trouble still then DJF and whoever else is involved in cap management need to be shot!
Only weeks/months ago we had money to offer Boyd, Paulo and Austin. We’d already signed Sutton (surely cheap), and reportedly signed Bateman (surely only moderate $). So where has all the cash gone??? Oldfield and Havili? Have they been upgraded to high paying contracts? Surely Sezer wasn’t upgraded?
Sure I understand that the likes of Cotric may have needed a slight upgrade but the rumoured ‘lack of cap room’ has me flabbergasted Image


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Bateman is and English international. He will be on decent coin.
Sutton has played over 100 ESL games. He isn't on bottom dollar.
I would suspect Oldfield's deal would be similar to his current one, maybe a slight upgrade.
Havili came on bottom dollar, no way his new deal is that cheap.
By all accounts Sezer's deal was similar-ish, cap inflation only, therefore at least as far as cap is concerned his % is the same.
Cotric was upgraded from a rookie deal.
Soliola re-signed too.

Is all that cap space taken up, god I hope not, but I suspect its less left than most are hoping.
Agreed on most points Matt. I understand that the two English players are experienced with Bateman being an international. However, the ESL salary cap is much less than ours so I'd assume that a moderate contract here would be comparable to an international players contract over there... I could be way off the mark with that.

I'd be hoping we had $750,000 + left to make a play at a half and a prop. At the very least you'd like to think we at least have around the $400,000 - $500,000 to make a play at 2 younger prospects or one solid performer???
Yes, Id agree with that.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18893
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu » July 18, 2018, 4:18 pm

Assuming Bateman and Baptiste are done deals I think we have about 500k to cover 5 spots. So if we promote the 4 best development players to 70k contracts we have about 200k left, which fits Mulhollands comments that there is a bit of money for someone like Lui.

That's based on a 9.4m cap, I am not sure what it goes up by but over 5 years the average is 9.7m, so it must be going up by something.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13233
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by bonehead » July 18, 2018, 5:36 pm

edwahu wrote:Assuming Bateman and Baptiste are done deals I think we have about 500k to cover 5 spots. So if we promote the 4 best development players to 70k contracts we have about 200k left, which fits Mulhollands comments that there is a bit of money for someone like Lui.

That's based on a 9.4m cap, I am not sure what it goes up by but over 5 years the average is 9.7m, so it must be going up by something.
isn't minimum $85k now?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18893
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu » July 18, 2018, 6:07 pm

bonehead wrote:
July 18, 2018, 5:36 pm
edwahu wrote:Assuming Bateman and Baptiste are done deals I think we have about 500k to cover 5 spots. So if we promote the 4 best development players to 70k contracts we have about 200k left, which fits Mulhollands comments that there is a bit of money for someone like Lui.

That's based on a 9.4m cap, I am not sure what it goes up by but over 5 years the average is 9.7m, so it must be going up by something.
isn't minimum $85k now?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
100k for players 1 to 26 and 70k for 27 to 30.
Last edited by edwahu on July 18, 2018, 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 32184
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Matt » July 18, 2018, 7:29 pm

edwahu wrote:
July 18, 2018, 6:07 pm
bonehead wrote:
July 18, 2018, 5:36 pm
edwahu wrote:Assuming Bateman and Baptiste are done deals I think we have about 500k to cover 5 spots. So if we promote the 4 best development players to 70k contracts we have about 200k left, which fits Mulhollands comments that there is a bit of money for someone like Lui.

That's based on a 9.4m cap, I am not sure what it goes up by but over 5 years the average is 9.7m, so it must be going up by something.
isn't minimum $85k now?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
100k for players 1 to 26 and 70k for 27 to 30.
The minimums goes up every yr for the next 5yrs though.
100k is 150k in 5yrs.
70k becomes.... cant remember? Wasnt as big a rise though.

SELF EDIT:
For those who want a better breakdown of the cap, here it is:
- $9.1 million base cap, increasing to $9.7 million in 2022.
- plus $0.2 million per annum veteran and developed player allowance.
- plus $0.1 million per annum car allowance (Max. 5 per club club). 
- Players 1-26 Min. wage $100,000, increasing by $5,000 per annum til 2022.
- Players 27-30 Min. wage $70,000, increasing by $2,500 per annum til 2022.
- Second tier replaced by Development list, players entitled to $60,000 per annum. These players would require special dispensation to play in the NRL in any given year. 

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18893
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu » July 18, 2018, 7:36 pm

I missed that. So cap is probably 9.5m or so next year, most of which will get eaten up in the minimum wage increase.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13233
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by bonehead » July 18, 2018, 7:46 pm

cheers thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126926
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by greeneyed » July 18, 2018, 11:20 pm

Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

According to The Australian, the Roosters would love to resign O’Sullivan, however, the Brisbane Broncos have shown interest in luring the rookie north after his solid debut for the Tricolours against the Gold Coast Titans last Sunday night.

It’s also understood the Canberra Raiders were also keen on the young playmaker, but have ultimately not progressed any further with the matter as they believe O’Sullivan will sign with either the Broncos or Roosters.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/rookie-to-de ... ure-34811/
Image

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14507
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by reptar » July 19, 2018, 12:35 am

Any relation?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7152
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by gergreg » July 19, 2018, 7:30 am

reptar wrote:
July 19, 2018, 12:35 am
Any relation?
Yes. It is alleged that he does indeed have a mother and a father. Hope this helps.
Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17873
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by -PJ- » July 19, 2018, 7:43 am

greeneyed wrote:
July 18, 2018, 11:20 pm
Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

According to The Australian, the Roosters would love to resign O’Sullivan, however, the Brisbane Broncos have shown interest in luring the rookie north after his solid debut for the Tricolours against the Gold Coast Titans last Sunday night.

It’s also understood the Canberra Raiders were also keen on the young playmaker, but have ultimately not progressed any further with the matter as they believe O’Sullivan will sign with either the Broncos or Roosters.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/rookie-to-de ... ure-34811/
That last part about the Raiders not progressing further with the matter as they believe he will sign with Broncos or Roosters is exactly why we are making up numbers.

Gee..this kid has potential but the Broncos and Roosters are keen so we'll sign Matt Awfull for a year.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
Dusty
Jason Croker
Posts: 4668
Joined: December 21, 2009, 12:25 pm
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Dusty » July 19, 2018, 8:02 am

-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
July 18, 2018, 11:20 pm
Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

According to The Australian, the Roosters would love to resign O’Sullivan, however, the Brisbane Broncos have shown interest in luring the rookie north after his solid debut for the Tricolours against the Gold Coast Titans last Sunday night.

It’s also understood the Canberra Raiders were also keen on the young playmaker, but have ultimately not progressed any further with the matter as they believe O’Sullivan will sign with either the Broncos or Roosters.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/rookie-to-de ... ure-34811/
That last part about the Raiders not progressing further with the matter as they believe he will sign with Broncos or Roosters is exactly why we are making up numbers.

Gee..this kid has potential but the Broncos and Roosters are keen so we'll sign Matt Awfull for a year.
Agreed....

And at the very least we should be trying to get those two scum clubs to pay overs for him by staying in the fight for his signature


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2019: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Oldfield (Rapana) 6. Williams 7. Sezer 8. Sutton 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Papalii 11. Tapine 12. Whitehead 13. J.Bateman ----
14. Havili 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Lui

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18893
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu » July 19, 2018, 8:29 am

We'd rather not try so we can whinge about it.

User avatar
kiwi raider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6966
Joined: March 31, 2008, 7:59 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by kiwi raider » July 19, 2018, 8:35 am

He's the son of Peter O'sullivan who was the recruitment manager at the storm when they were done for Salary cap breaches, and was also de registered by the nrl because of his involvement with Eddie Hayson, Its probably not a coincidence his son is being linked to the two clubs most commonly considered to deal in brown paper bags...

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13233
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by bonehead » July 19, 2018, 8:58 am

kiwi raider wrote:He's the son of Peter O'sullivan who was the recruitment manager at the storm when they were done for Salary cap breaches, and was also de registered by the nrl because of his involvement with Eddie Hayson, Its probably not a coincidence his son is being linked to the two clubs most commonly considered to deal in brown paper bags...
was it manly trying to get him back in the game?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
kiwi raider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6966
Joined: March 31, 2008, 7:59 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by kiwi raider » July 19, 2018, 11:08 am

bonehead wrote:
July 19, 2018, 8:58 am
kiwi raider wrote:He's the son of Peter O'sullivan who was the recruitment manager at the storm when they were done for Salary cap breaches, and was also de registered by the nrl because of his involvement with Eddie Hayson, Its probably not a coincidence his son is being linked to the two clubs most commonly considered to deal in brown paper bags...
was it manly trying to get him back in the game?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
He's working as a recruitment manager/talent scout with the Warriors now
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10 ... remiership

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6846
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by zim » July 19, 2018, 11:17 am

-PJ- wrote:
July 19, 2018, 7:43 am
greeneyed wrote:
July 18, 2018, 11:20 pm
Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

According to The Australian, the Roosters would love to resign O’Sullivan, however, the Brisbane Broncos have shown interest in luring the rookie north after his solid debut for the Tricolours against the Gold Coast Titans last Sunday night.

It’s also understood the Canberra Raiders were also keen on the young playmaker, but have ultimately not progressed any further with the matter as they believe O’Sullivan will sign with either the Broncos or Roosters.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/rookie-to-de ... ure-34811/
That last part about the Raiders not progressing further with the matter as they believe he will sign with Broncos or Roosters is exactly why we are making up numbers.

Gee..this kid has potential but the Broncos and Roosters are keen so we'll sign Matt Awfull for a year.
Choosing to give a deal to O'Hagan instead?

User avatar
Brew
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6719
Joined: June 4, 2005, 11:35 am
Favourite Player: Blake Austin
Location: Bondi Junction

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Brew » July 19, 2018, 12:58 pm

-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
July 18, 2018, 11:20 pm
Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

According to The Australian, the Roosters would love to resign O’Sullivan, however, the Brisbane Broncos have shown interest in luring the rookie north after his solid debut for the Tricolours against the Gold Coast Titans last Sunday night.

It’s also understood the Canberra Raiders were also keen on the young playmaker, but have ultimately not progressed any further with the matter as they believe O’Sullivan will sign with either the Broncos or Roosters.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/rookie-to-de ... ure-34811/
That last part about the Raiders not progressing further with the matter as they believe he will sign with Broncos or Roosters is exactly why we are making up numbers.

Gee..this kid has potential but the Broncos and Roosters are keen so we'll sign Matt Awfull for a year.
I was about to say the same thing. It’s were we are as a club in the current climate of the NRL. It’s why we will never win another premiership in my lifetime.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17873
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by -PJ- » July 19, 2018, 1:02 pm

Brew wrote:
July 19, 2018, 12:58 pm
-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
July 18, 2018, 11:20 pm
Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

According to The Australian, the Roosters would love to resign O’Sullivan, however, the Brisbane Broncos have shown interest in luring the rookie north after his solid debut for the Tricolours against the Gold Coast Titans last Sunday night.

It’s also understood the Canberra Raiders were also keen on the young playmaker, but have ultimately not progressed any further with the matter as they believe O’Sullivan will sign with either the Broncos or Roosters.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/rookie-to-de ... ure-34811/
That last part about the Raiders not progressing further with the matter as they believe he will sign with Broncos or Roosters is exactly why we are making up numbers.

Gee..this kid has potential but the Broncos and Roosters are keen so we'll sign Matt Awfull for a year.
I was about to say the same thing. It’s were we are as a club in the current climate of the NRL. It’s why we will never win another premiership in my lifetime.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yep..just sitting back and watching the strong get stronger.....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
Coastalraider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1952
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Coastalraider » July 19, 2018, 1:26 pm

-PJ- wrote:
July 19, 2018, 1:02 pm
Brew wrote:
July 19, 2018, 12:58 pm
-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
July 18, 2018, 11:20 pm
Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

According to The Australian, the Roosters would love to resign O’Sullivan, however, the Brisbane Broncos have shown interest in luring the rookie north after his solid debut for the Tricolours against the Gold Coast Titans last Sunday night.

It’s also understood the Canberra Raiders were also keen on the young playmaker, but have ultimately not progressed any further with the matter as they believe O’Sullivan will sign with either the Broncos or Roosters.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/rookie-to-de ... ure-34811/
That last part about the Raiders not progressing further with the matter as they believe he will sign with Broncos or Roosters is exactly why we are making up numbers.

Gee..this kid has potential but the Broncos and Roosters are keen so we'll sign Matt Awfull for a year.
I was about to say the same thing. It’s were we are as a club in the current climate of the NRL. It’s why we will never win another premiership in my lifetime.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yep..just sitting back and watching the strong get stronger.....
The mind really does boggle that not only have we got ourselves into this position of only making the finals once in 5 years, but we have so badly screwed the cap that we aren't even in a position to make changes to attempt to fix the problem. We have the same number of finals appearances in the last 5 years as Newcastle - and are not retaining players due to salary cap restraints.

I hit Gavel up on twitter this week to ask Sticky how we have ended up losing so many starting 17 players over the last 3 years and have only been able to buy in fringe players, especially given that we have massively underperformed.

I didnt get a reply.

User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8158
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Roger Kenworthy » July 19, 2018, 1:38 pm

edwahu wrote:
July 19, 2018, 8:29 am
We'd rather not try so we can whinge about it.
We'd also rather continue with mediocrity than take a risk, with the potential we wind up with a spoon. I'd much rather the Sezer money was used to pay overs on a talented youngster than bring back a battler. That approach has worked out great for the Knights with Ponga - if this guy is anywhere near that level he was worth throwing money at.

LastRaider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1471
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by LastRaider » July 19, 2018, 2:58 pm

Coastalraider wrote:
-PJ- wrote:
July 19, 2018, 1:02 pm
Brew wrote:
July 19, 2018, 12:58 pm
-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
July 18, 2018, 11:20 pm
Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

According to The Australian, the Roosters would love to resign O’Sullivan, however, the Brisbane Broncos have shown interest in luring the rookie north after his solid debut for the Tricolours against the Gold Coast Titans last Sunday night.

It’s also understood the Canberra Raiders were also keen on the young playmaker, but have ultimately not progressed any further with the matter as they believe O’Sullivan will sign with either the Broncos or Roosters.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/rookie-to-de ... ure-34811/
That last part about the Raiders not progressing further with the matter as they believe he will sign with Broncos or Roosters is exactly why we are making up numbers.

Gee..this kid has potential but the Broncos and Roosters are keen so we'll sign Matt Awfull for a year.
I was about to say the same thing. It’s were we are as a club in the current climate of the NRL. It’s why we will never win another premiership in my lifetime.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yep..just sitting back and watching the strong get stronger.....
The mind really does boggle that not only have we got ourselves into this position of only making the finals once in 5 years, but we have so badly screwed the cap that we aren't even in a position to make changes to attempt to fix the problem. We have the same number of finals appearances in the last 5 years as Newcastle - and are not retaining players due to salary cap restraints.

I hit Gavel up on twitter this week to ask Sticky how we have ended up losing so many starting 17 players over the last 3 years and have only been able to buy in fringe players, especially given that we have massively underperformed.

I didnt get a reply.
Yep I agree. I believe they went all in for last year, thinking it was going to be the year and failed. It will probably now take 3 years + to fix the cap up again. We will probably just sign fringe first graders and ESL players now and get active in about 2020 for a good challenge in 2021.

It would just be nice if Don and Sticky can show some respect to the fans and tell us that we need to rebuild and is going to take 2 - 3 years to get back on top. I think us the fans if we new this would be a lot more supportive of the club then we are now. Brownie did this at the Knights and actually got the entire town behind him and the team.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126926
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by greeneyed » July 19, 2018, 3:33 pm

That was a rather different situation... as it was another coach and management that put the Knights into that position.
Image

User avatar
Rick
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6149
Joined: August 11, 2008, 3:56 pm
Favourite Player: Daley
Location: Darwin

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Rick » July 19, 2018, 6:03 pm

Eastwood is available at the end of this year....


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13233
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by bonehead » July 19, 2018, 6:31 pm

Rick wrote:Eastwood is available at the end of this year....


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
and so he should be

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30653
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by dubby » July 19, 2018, 7:14 pm

MS_1302 wrote:Its becoming clearer each day that there will be no more external signings by the raiders for 2019 and all the talk of Norman, Elgey or any others is not going to happen. Prove me wrong Don but jeez
I think you're right.

Nothing significant for 2019.

I'm guessing they're planning for a 2020 signing.



Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25639
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by PigRickman » July 19, 2018, 7:19 pm

Stuart, Mulholland and Furner should all resign
It's a total and utter fiasco

If the Canberra Times journo had any **** spine at all, they'd be putting pressure on the club for this. Absolutely gutless stuff from those guys... imagine growing up wanting to be a sports journo, finally getting there and becoming a total **** sycophant for the local sports club.

The Canberra sports journalists are a total and utter embarrassment to their profession. Shame on them.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

Post Reply