Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Botman »

I'm not sure that this is the RIGHT thing, but i would bet pretty good money that if Beej and Croker hit the open market at the same time, Croker would get significantly more interest and money than Beej.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Pigman wrote:
edwahu wrote: January 2, 2019, 7:02 pm
Pigman wrote: January 2, 2019, 6:32 pm
edwahu wrote: January 1, 2019, 9:02 am Croker is only a bit above middle of the pack amongst starting centers but would well into the bottom end of players as far as influence on results. Also we shouldnt be paying him more for being a long term 1 club player, we arguably should pay him less.
I’m of the belief that we’re paying probably 5-10% more then we should on everyone rather than having 1-2 players being grossly overpaid so from that perspective I’m sure Croker is somewhat over paid but I have been for years and continue to be amazed at how little respect he has from his own fans for his abilities as a footballer

He’s an excellent player.
I don't disagree that he is a very good footballer, and there is nothing disrespectful about what I said, although I would admit looking at the list he is probably around 8-10th amongst centers, so I was a bit harsh there.

I agree with your revised comment. I think i'd struggle to name 12 better centres than him. He's not quite elite, which is what we're probably paying him to be, but he'd start at every club bar maybe the Mitchell-Manu roosters.
Potentially Rabbitohs too depending who plays where. They had their 2 2018 centres named for Australia fairly recently but I believe Raiders centres are amongst the best at premiership level.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Rick »

Lot of talk about moving Wighton from Fullback to play him at 5/8 with the aim of improving defence.

In doing this we would have to spend Fullback money to replace him. Not saying it’s 100% what I would do but I would not mind the idea of Croker at 6, which would allow Cotric to move to centre and to pick up a cheep winger until Rapana returns.

Positives; cheep, minimal disruption to the spine and crokers strength is his running game.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes, but we've saved five eighth money from the cap by not re-signing Blake Austin. We've not signed a decent spine replacement yet. I'm desperately hoping that we have space for a fullback or five eighth.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

greeneyed wrote:Yes, but we've saved five eighth money from the cap by not re-signing Blake Austin. We've not signed a decent spine replacement yet. I'm desperately hoping that we have space for a fullback or five eighth.
Have we?

When is Seizer off contract ? It’s almost worth biding our time and buying a halves pairing that we know works (should any team be dumb enough to let them both come off contract at once)

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: January 2, 2019, 10:02 pm
greeneyed wrote:Yes, but we've saved five eighth money from the cap by not re-signing Blake Austin. We've not signed a decent spine replacement yet. I'm desperately hoping that we have space for a fullback or five eighth.
Have we?

When is Seizer off contract ? It’s almost worth biding our time and buying a halves pairing that we know works (should any team be dumb enough to let them both come off contract at once)

Sezer has just been re-signed to end 2020. We have reportedly saved up to $800k by not re-signing Austin. There MUST be SOME salary cap dollars to spare for a spine player. If not... it is salary cap mismanagement 101.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Don wanted to assure all Raiders fans that he was spending the entire cap. But it is what the Club gets for its money, not just spending the money that is important. Some other clubs seems to keep some cap money as a contingency. This allows them space for an emergency signing should it be required. I know we had to upgrade the likes of Havili and Cotric. We have added the new Englishmen to the roster, but I would have thought the departure of Austen, Boyd and Paulo plus Knight, Gubb etc should have freed up significant cap space.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Pigman wrote: December 30, 2018, 7:18 pm I've long said i have no loyalty to anyone at this club. Be it players, coaches, administrators. I'm not married to any of them, i don't feel any obligation to support any of them.

My loyalty and obligations resides with the entity that is the club, the colours of the jersey. Laundry. I've been following the Raiders since before i heard of any of these individuals, and i'll be following them long after I've forgotten about them. I don't hold any great loyalty to Jarrod Croker, Josh Papalii, Ricky Stuart, Don Furner, Jack Wighton, Nic Cotric or anyone, even Bae Hodgson.

If i think the individual is or can help this club achieve it's goals, then i'll happily support them. If i don't believe they are helping in that cause, or are capable of it, then AFAIC, as hard as they may be trying, as honest as their efforts may be, i could give a damn about them. They're highly paid professionals who are in, probably, the most results driven industry we have. Deliver, or get the **** out.

And i have even LESS time for fans who want to tell me or anyone i am obligated as a "fan" to be effusive with my praise of people who aren't delivering.
I pretty much stopped reading the thread there. This guy is scum and we shouldn't listen to any of his opinions. Unless he agrees with me on some minor pedantic issue then he is probably, maybe, not a communist.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Sid wrote: January 2, 2019, 9:38 pm
Pigman wrote:
edwahu wrote: January 2, 2019, 7:02 pm
Pigman wrote: January 2, 2019, 6:32 pm
edwahu wrote: January 1, 2019, 9:02 am Croker is only a bit above middle of the pack amongst starting centers but would well into the bottom end of players as far as influence on results. Also we shouldnt be paying him more for being a long term 1 club player, we arguably should pay him less.
I’m of the belief that we’re paying probably 5-10% more then we should on everyone rather than having 1-2 players being grossly overpaid so from that perspective I’m sure Croker is somewhat over paid but I have been for years and continue to be amazed at how little respect he has from his own fans for his abilities as a footballer

He’s an excellent player.
I don't disagree that he is a very good footballer, and there is nothing disrespectful about what I said, although I would admit looking at the list he is probably around 8-10th amongst centers, so I was a bit harsh there.

I agree with your revised comment. I think i'd struggle to name 12 better centres than him. He's not quite elite, which is what we're probably paying him to be, but he'd start at every club bar maybe the Mitchell-Manu roosters.
Potentially Rabbitohs too depending who plays where. They had their 2 2018 centres named for Australia fairly recently but I believe Raiders centres are amongst the best at premiership level.
IF the team could just get back to near 2016 attitude and commitment in defending then the team will make the top 8 easily. In 2018 the team lost a lot of games we should have won but our attitude and commitment was not there, replicate near that 2016 effort and the team will excel. It’s their defence that is letting them down.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Even in 2016 our defence wasn’t up to winning a comp. We finished 2nd and most of the teams in the 8 had better defence then us.

Unfortunately it comes down to more then commitment. Our structures are all outdated and unless we change we will end up with the same crap.