Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by BJ »

People need to remember that many of these deals for players are done outside the tax system. These will never appear in the official NRL reports.

Previous payment scandals that have come to light has not seen players paid or receiving boats through the formal tax system.

You have to take this information from the NRL with a large grain of salt.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Looks like this story has been pulled down...

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

El_Capitano wrote: February 20, 2018, 9:09 am Looks like this story has been pulled down...

It was a cut and paste issue with the link. Try this one:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/19/nrl ... greements/
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ wrote: February 20, 2018, 8:55 am People need to remember that many of these deals for players are done outside the tax system. These will never appear in the official NRL reports.

Previous payment scandals that have come to light has not seen players paid or receiving boats through the formal tax system.

You have to take this information from the NRL with a large grain of salt.
Yeah but that's straight up cheating, which we are as entitled to do as any other club.

I think the reality is that we will lose out to certain clubs even with an even playing field when it comes to trying to attract star players, these issues just make it slightly worse. We would need a higher cap or draft and restricted FA to get equal access to players.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/19/nrl ... greements/

To begin with I thought 700k is that all, but then I thought that’s 5 guys who could earn and extra 150k “top up”
How soon IS now?
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

Or 3 integral spine pieces who get an extra $250k each

How soon IS now?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They haven't published anything yet! I shall wait and see what comes when the figures are actually published... but a lot of that story is more excuses. I certainly do not "take comfort" by what they've revealed so far. The bottom line is that all player payments should be capped, and they should be equal for all clubs. What that article underlines is the number of loopholes in the system. It is a complex mess... and just provides a whole lot of scope for no level playing field.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

El_Capitano wrote: February 20, 2018, 9:17 am https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/19/nrl ... greements/

To begin with I thought 700k is that all, but then I thought that’s 5 guys who could earn and extra 150k “top up”
There is also the 6 million from marquee deals and game sponsors which is no doubt excluded by the NRL because it would mostly be going to the same elite players and clubs. The numbers do illustrate that the system creates a situation where the top level talent is very unlikely to move clubs, which has the knock on effect of making the rest of those squads much stronger. However, it is hard to argue that the deals for some of these players are excessive given their profiles.

Still, it is better than a couple of years ago when the most damage was done to us. In 2015 it was double the amount relative to the cap. If the NRL keeps it at it's current level, marquee is phased out and they ensure that the whole of game sponsorship are distributed fairly, then I don't think we have a big disadvantage based on TPA deals alone.

Even ignoring the top few sides it's also hard to argue we are at a major disadvantage relative to most other clubs, many who have had more success than us.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BTW I have been reading Billy Slater's book... and it appears that the marquee player arrangement was at the basis of what's often referred to as the Storm players "signing two contracts". The side letter Slater signed was to the effect that the Storm would seek to have sponsors make a certain payment under the allowance... but if they couldn't find them, the Storm guaranteed they would make the payments. The side letter also explicitly guaranteed that payments would be in accordance with all NRL rules, salary cap and would be notified to the NRL. The only trouble is... it appears the Storm never provided that side letter to the NRL and made the payments.

So from the manager and player's perspective, they had no reason to think anything was astray. But indeed there was...

I presume the Storm did the same for more than one player. I believe the rules have somehow changed in relation to the marquee player arrangements which rule this out, in any event.

Just thought I'd mention it... because we've often debated this on the forum... and it is no doubt why the NRL cleared the Storm players.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yes, if you want to read more you can read the entire findings regarding the Storm and the recommendations here:

http://www.rugbyleague.com.au/nrl/2011_storm_report.pdf

It's clear when your read it that the Storm breach really was at an entirely new level of cheating that hasn't been matched. I am also not entirely convinced the players didn't know it was a breach to guarantee TPA's and their managers certainly did. Interesting also that some of the strongest recommendations like front and backloading bans were not implemented.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Tony Adams saying on his Facebook feed that the raiders have made an offer to Hymel Hunt.

https://www.facebook.com/9Moley/videos/580178905660107/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

dubby wrote: February 20, 2018, 6:46 pm Tony Adams saying on his Facebook feed that the raiders have made an offer to Hymel Hunt
I hope he's not that high in the pecking order if he comes. Would rather Abbey or Oldfield on the wing and Kris in the centres.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Brew wrote: February 17, 2018, 11:50 am Rumours doing the rounds that the Bulldogs have to still release a player and most likely it will be Tolman.
Not that we can afford him but he would be handy.

Rumour is he's off to the Titans effective immediately.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

dubby wrote:Tony Adams saying on his Facebook feed that the raiders have made an offer to Hymel Hunt.

Do we need depth at centre?

How soon IS now?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote:Tony Adams saying on his Facebook feed that the raiders have made an offer to Hymel Hunt.

Four clubs in five years? You begin to wonder.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

El_Capitano wrote: February 20, 2018, 7:32 pm

Do we need depth at centre?

We have poor depth in the outside backs and forwards IMO.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I heard Tony Adams is saying in his Facebook feed that the Raiders have made an offer to Hymel Hunt

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes he did.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Ive not seen loads of hymel hunt, but from what I can remember, I thought he was a pretty solid ball runner. Kind of reminded me of a josh Hoffman type player. Would be a much better option than Abbey imo
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I'll clarify : the raiders have contacted Hunt, but no offer yet.
I dont think there's much to it. Adams said it would need to be a good offer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In fact...

@9_Moley The Mole on Twitter

Peeps, Moley was asked during my LIVE chat by Jordy whether there was any chance of Hymel Hunt going to @RaidersCanberra - have since spoken to Raiders and they said NO WAY.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

greeneyed wrote:In fact...

@9_Moley The Mole on Twitter

Peeps, Moley was asked during my LIVE chat by Jordy whether there was any chance of Hymel Hunt going to @RaidersCanberra - have since spoken to Raiders and they said NO WAY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

But did he confirm if we are talking to John Folau or Bureta Furiamo?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Rapana29 at it again
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: February 20, 2018, 7:16 pm
Brew wrote: February 17, 2018, 11:50 am Rumours doing the rounds that the Bulldogs have to still release a player and most likely it will be Tolman.
Not that we can afford him but he would be handy.

Rumour is he's off to the Titans effective immediately.
rumour is getting stronger too
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Rumour has it everyone is off to the Titans. Word on the street up here that a particular rep forward for the Raiders is signed for 2019 and beyond too.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Captain Punish wrote: February 21, 2018, 10:07 am Rumour has it everyone is off to the Titans. Word on the street up here that a particular rep forward for the Raiders is signed for 2019 and beyond too.

Paulo or Papa ???
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There's a rumour about suggesting Papalii to the Titans... only then it became Papalii to the Warriors... and now just today, he's publicly stating he wants a contract extension at the Raiders. So I'm inclined to believe the last report!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:What's with the messy quoting? Drives me crazy

If only you knew someone with moderator or admin powers that could fix it, dubs!
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

The Nickman wrote:
dubby wrote:What's with the messy quoting? Drives me crazy
If only you knew someone with moderator or admin powers that could fix it, dubs!
I have no idea what you are talking about?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think the quoting looks great on the new board. Still some problems to be sorted out with the tranisition though.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Do we even have a marque player ? Serious question...
Typical Canberra overpaid and underachieve... Was hoping it was only the politicians down there....
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Neeeegz wrote:Do we even have a marque player ? Serious question...
Typical Canberra overpaid and underachieve... Was hoping it was only the politicians down there....
Not sure about a Marque but I know we have a Mikaele. Hope this helps.

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

We have three makawoas too if I remember correctly from the "trial"
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Neeeegz wrote:Do we even have a marque player ? Serious question...
I would say in 2016 Josh Hodgson would of been a marquee player, was probably in the top 5 players in the competition and people were tipping him for the Daily M.

In Ricky We Trust