Moderator: GH Moderators

InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

edwahu wrote: August 20, 2018, 11:20 pm
Dusty wrote: August 20, 2018, 9:03 pm
greeneyed wrote:We should be pulling out all stops to get TPJ back... and if there's no room in the cap... let's get a TPA done!

And if we have no room left in the salary cap... given the players lost... it is one of the great mysteries of life. There must be some players on the books being paid well in excess of market value.
Can The GH be the third party?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Some Eels fan site tried it and it got knocked back.
Imagine Pappa and TPJ rolling forward.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

magoo wrote:
roneel78 wrote: August 20, 2018, 9:17 pm And was just mentioned on Fox that Munster a chance to the Roosters for 2020 (replace Cronk)

Even comp I guess......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Robinson said..... Thank heavens for the salary cap
With a straight face too.....Image

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I honestly don't believe the roosters cheat the cap. They manage it properly. For example, they've signed Victor Radley on a 5 year contract with practically no first grade experience. Does here honestly believe he'd be on more than 300k? But in a couple of years everyone will be saying how can they keep him with all their other stars. They have moved a lot of players on. Last year they moved on SKD, Pearce and Watson. They have the advantage of being a club that people wants to play for, but thats largely their own doing (goes with the territory of being a successful club).
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

FROG wrote: August 21, 2018, 8:09 am I honestly don't believe the roosters cheat the cap. They manage it properly. For example, they've signed Victor Radley on a 5 year contract with practically no first grade experience. Does here honestly believe he'd be on more than 300k? But in a couple of years everyone will be saying how can they keep him with all their other stars. They have moved a lot of players on. Last year they moved on SKD, Pearce and Watson. They have the advantage of being a club that people wants to play for, but thats largely their own doing (goes with the territory of being a successful club).
No way in the world Radley is on 300K. Maybe 300K on the cap with some TPAs topping him up.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

FROG wrote:I honestly don't believe the roosters cheat the cap. They manage it properly. For example, they've signed Victor Radley on a 5 year contract with practically no first grade experience. Does here honestly believe he'd be on more than 300k? But in a couple of years everyone will be saying how can they keep him with all their other stars. They have moved a lot of players on. Last year they moved on SKD, Pearce and Watson. They have the advantage of being a club that people wants to play for, but thats largely their own doing (goes with the territory of being a successful club).
They do manage the cap but the stories I hear of what Politis does is genius and it’s why we can’t compete.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Brew wrote: August 21, 2018, 9:52 am
FROG wrote:I honestly don't believe the roosters cheat the cap. They manage it properly. For example, they've signed Victor Radley on a 5 year contract with practically no first grade experience. Does here honestly believe he'd be on more than 300k? But in a couple of years everyone will be saying how can they keep him with all their other stars. They have moved a lot of players on. Last year they moved on SKD, Pearce and Watson. They have the advantage of being a club that people wants to play for, but thats largely their own doing (goes with the territory of being a successful club).
They do manage the cap but the stories I hear of what Politis does is genius and it’s why we can’t compete.

Any examples of the stories?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

A pommie player wrote in a book how the Roosters gave him an under the table payment. I was always surprised that this blew over as a news story so quickly.

Roosters do have an excellent TPA source, but they have also successfully fought hard against the NRL officially releasing the TPA figures in full and in a fully transparent way. After the NRL promised to do this.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

EVH wrote: August 20, 2018, 9:53 pm WHat about Kurt Mann at 6? Might be able to lure him with promise of a position with an upgrade post 2019.
It's not the worst idea. He defends well. Still has a brain explosion in his game when he's trying to create.
Would be a similar signing to Ryley Jacks.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Have a look at the guest list at Politis 25th anniversary in charge of the Roosters. It was all multi multi millionaires and player agents. There is no way we compete with that, ever.
Last edited by edwahu on August 21, 2018, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

The mole reckons Knights are chasing Troy Dargan from the Broncos. Hard to see him getting a start if Ponga moves to 5/8 does anyone know much about him if he'd be worth chasing?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's played half back for the Australian Schoolboys and NSW u20s. Kept out of the Junior Kangaroos side by Brodie Croft. Turns 21 soon.
Would be playing for Mounties. Not a first grader at the moment.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: August 21, 2018, 10:29 am
EVH wrote: August 20, 2018, 9:53 pm WHat about Kurt Mann at 6? Might be able to lure him with promise of a position with an upgrade post 2019.
It's not the worst idea. He defends well. Still has a brain explosion in his game when he's trying to create.
Would be a similar signing to Ryley Jacks.
In our system both guys would be fine.
They arent going to demand the ball - thus freeing up Hodgo and Sezer.
They will make their tackles.
They can ball play and kick well enough for a 3rd option.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote: August 21, 2018, 10:41 am Have a look at the guest list at Politis 25th anniversary in charge of the Roosters. It's was all multi multi millionaires and player agents. There is no way we compete with that, ever.
This is why it makes no sense that we scrapped our Junior development program. We are competing directly with Uncle Nick.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't think we scrapped our junior development program though. Nothing much changed in practice from what I could see except the switch to Mounties.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

FROG wrote: August 21, 2018, 8:09 am I honestly don't believe the roosters cheat the cap. They manage it properly. For example, they've signed Victor Radley on a 5 year contract with practically no first grade experience. Does here honestly believe he'd be on more than 300k? But in a couple of years everyone will be saying how can they keep him with all their other stars. They have moved a lot of players on. Last year they moved on SKD, Pearce and Watson. They have the advantage of being a club that people wants to play for, but thats largely their own doing (goes with the territory of being a successful club).
I'm dating Scarlett Johannsson..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: August 21, 2018, 12:44 pm I don't think we scrapped our junior development program though. Nothing much changed in practice from what I could see except the switch to Mounties.
We provide far fewer opportunities in Under 20s and NSW Premiership than we used to. And leave it to Mounties to contract players to fill the gaps in those teams.

Not a lot has changed for Harold Matthews and SG Ball, in fact, the club has invested more in Academy teams in the region.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:43 pm I'm dating Scarlett Johannsson..
G'Day Mr Jost,
Rare that Americans follow league. Did you get confused with the Oakland Raiders or something?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Matt wrote:
G'Day Mr Jost,
Rare that Americans follow league. Did you get confused with the Oakland Raiders or something?
Shouldn't that be the Las Vegas Raiders?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

reptar wrote: August 21, 2018, 3:04 pm
Matt wrote:
G'Day Mr Jost,
Shouldn't that be the Las Vegas Raiders?
Technically... but did they actually change their name? Coz the stadium isnt ready yet
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Sid wrote:

Sure.

I’ll give you a brief example of one.

I’ll take you out for a round of Golf and we will have a friendly wager on the game. Nothing illegal. Just two guys having a bet. But I suck at Golf so you might just win.

In Ricky We Trust
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Brew wrote: August 21, 2018, 3:55 pm
Sid wrote:

Sure.

I’ll give you a brief example of one.

I’ll take you out for a round of Golf and we will have a friendly wager on the game. Nothing illegal. Just two guys having a bet. But I suck at Golf so you might just win.

That really is quite clever. I tell you what, had I been one of the two lucky Powerball winners last week I would have taken TPJ and Munster out golfing quite a bit over the next 5 years.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Do you actually have to play golf? Or just say you did?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:We should be pulling out all stops to get TPJ back... and if there's no room in the cap... let's get a TPA done!

And if we have no room left in the salary cap... given the players lost... it is one of the great mysteries of life. There must be some players on the books being paid well in excess of market value.
I think it's more indicative that we lack due to TPAs. Penrith have among the most, while we are among the fewest.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

reptar wrote: August 21, 2018, 4:53 pm Do you actually have to play golf? Or just say you did?
Mini Golf King at Fyshwick would be fine, maybe add another sweetener while in the precinct
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I recall when we lost Monaghan we claimed the Roosters have agents on retainers, and given that the NRL has nothing it can do about it, I doubt it has stopped at all.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Johno wrote: August 21, 2018, 5:45 pm
reptar wrote: August 21, 2018, 4:53 pm Do you actually have to play golf? Or just say you did?
Mini Golf King at Fyshwick would be fine, maybe add another sweetener while in the precinct
Thats right, they do have the Lindt cafe at COC. Well played :clap:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-PJ- wrote:I'm dating Scarlett Johannsson..
Once was informative, but twice was just plain boastful.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: August 21, 2018, 4:55 pm

I think it's more indicative that we lack due to TPAs. Penrith have among the most, while we are among the fewest.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Actually it probably has more to do with Coach ****, Mulholland and DFJ overpaying **** players.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

-PJ- wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:34 pm
I just called her and she said she's never met you. She also said we are not getting tpj.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

FROG wrote:
-PJ- wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:34 pm
I just called her and she said she's never met you. She also said we are not getting tpj.
Yeah but she lies 50% of the time

How soon IS now?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:42 pm
edwahu wrote: August 21, 2018, 12:44 pm I don't think we scrapped our junior development program though. Nothing much changed in practice from what I could see except the switch to Mounties.
We provide far fewer opportunities in Under 20s and NSW Premiership than we used to. And leave it to Mounties to contract players to fill the gaps in those teams.

Not a lot has changed for Harold Matthews and SG Ball, in fact, the club has invested more in Academy teams in the region.
I thought after the club lost Milford they made a bit of noise about not being prepared to invest so much time and money on junior development? This combined with Ricky dumping Cornish without a chance; and apparent preference for buying more mature players.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: August 22, 2018, 7:31 am

I thought after the club lost Milford they made a bit of noise about not being prepared to invest so much time and money on junior development? This combined with Ricky dumping Cornish without a chance; and apparent preference for buying more mature players.
That’s true, and not running a NSW Cup team or Under 20s team is consistent with that. On the other hand, there’s been more work with Academies in southern NSW and Fiji... leaving players playing there until they’re older. The Matts team seems to focus on players in the Canberra region... they bring more in from farther afield for Ball.
dribble73
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by dribble73 »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: August 22, 2018, 7:31 am

That’s true, and not running a NSW Cup team or Under 20s team is consistent with that. On the other hand, there’s been more work with Academies in southern NSW and Fiji... leaving players playing there until they’re older. The Matts team seems to focus on players in the Canberra region... they bring more in from farther afield for Ball.
90% of this years current 20s squad are Canberra based players.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yep, fair enough dribble.

Personally I’d rather the Raiders were running their own NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg teams and basing them fully in the region. They are no doubt very good rugby league people at Mounties... and I’ll support them no doubt while this arrangement runs. But I think it’d be better for Canberra rugby league to have those teams playing out of Canberra.