Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by MS_1302 »

Its becoming clearer each day that there will be no more external signings by the raiders for 2019 and all the talk of Norman, Elgey or any others is not going to happen. Prove me wrong Don but jeez
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I hope you’re wrong. If we are truely in cap trouble still then DJF and whoever else is involved in cap management need to be shot!
Only weeks/months ago we had money to offer Boyd, Paulo and Austin. We’d already signed Sutton (surely cheap), and reportedly signed Bateman (surely only moderate $). So where has all the cash gone??? Oldfield and Havili? Have they been upgraded to high paying contracts? Surely Sezer wasn’t upgraded?
Sure I understand that the likes of Cotric may have needed a slight upgrade but the rumoured ‘lack of cap room’ has me flabbergasted Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Dusty wrote: July 18, 2018, 9:16 am I hope you’re wrong. If we are truely in cap trouble still then DJF and whoever else is involved in cap management need to be shot!
Only weeks/months ago we had money to offer Boyd, Paulo and Austin. We’d already signed Sutton (surely cheap), and reportedly signed Bateman (surely only moderate $). So where has all the cash gone??? Oldfield and Havili? Have they been upgraded to high paying contracts? Surely Sezer wasn’t upgraded?
Sure I understand that the likes of Cotric may have needed a slight upgrade but the rumoured ‘lack of cap room’ has me flabbergasted Image

Bateman is and English international. He will be on decent coin.
Sutton has played over 100 ESL games. He isn't on bottom dollar.
I would suspect Oldfield's deal would be similar to his current one, maybe a slight upgrade.
Havili came on bottom dollar, no way his new deal is that cheap.
By all accounts Sezer's deal was similar-ish, cap inflation only, therefore at least as far as cap is concerned his % is the same.
Cotric was upgraded from a rookie deal.
Soliola re-signed too.

Is all that cap space taken up, god I hope not, but I suspect its less left than most are hoping.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Lui probably getting an upgrade too
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Matt wrote: July 18, 2018, 9:23 am
Dusty wrote: July 18, 2018, 9:16 am I hope you’re wrong. If we are truely in cap trouble still then DJF and whoever else is involved in cap management need to be shot!

I would suspect Oldfield's deal would be similar to his current one, maybe a slight upgrade.
By all accounts Sezer's deal was similar-ish, cap inflation only, therefore at least as far as cap is concerned his % is the same.
Soliola re-signed too.

Is all that cap space taken up, god I hope not, but I suspect its less left than most are hoping.
Agreed on most points Matt. I understand that the two English players are experienced with Bateman being an international. However, the ESL salary cap is much less than ours so I'd assume that a moderate contract here would be comparable to an international players contract over there... I could be way off the mark with that.

I'd be hoping we had $750,000 + left to make a play at a half and a prop. At the very least you'd like to think we at least have around the $400,000 - $500,000 to make a play at 2 younger prospects or one solid performer???
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raiders666 wrote: July 18, 2018, 9:39 am Lui probably getting an upgrade too
You’d hope not.

That’s how the cap gets so full up. Lui is a bottom dollar player. If he attracts more money elsewhere so be it, bring in someone else on bottom dollar to do the same job.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't think anyone that plays regular first grade re-signs on bottom dollar. If we offer Lui minimum he will get a deal elsewhere. I think more realistically he is 200k to keep, whether we should at that price is another question.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

edwahu wrote: July 18, 2018, 12:16 pm I don't think anyone that plays regular first grade re-signs on bottom dollar. If we offer Lui minimum he will get a deal elsewhere. I think more realistically he is 200k to keep, whether we should at that price is another question.
I agree mate - so if Lui does get a better offer, let him go and use Knight to play his role. Then Guler can fill the Knight role. Both of those guys WOULD be on pretty much bottom dollar and do a very similar job, and use the money saved on Lui to put towards a genuine upgrade to fill the Boyd/Paulo void.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Dusty wrote: July 18, 2018, 9:53 am
Matt wrote: July 18, 2018, 9:23 am

Soliola re-signed too.

Agreed on most points Matt. I understand that the two English players are experienced with Bateman being an international. However, the ESL salary cap is much less than ours so I'd assume that a moderate contract here would be comparable to an international players contract over there... I could be way off the mark with that.

I'd be hoping we had $750,000 + left to make a play at a half and a prop. At the very least you'd like to think we at least have around the $400,000 - $500,000 to make a play at 2 younger prospects or one solid performer???
Yes, Id agree with that.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Assuming Bateman and Baptiste are done deals I think we have about 500k to cover 5 spots. So if we promote the 4 best development players to 70k contracts we have about 200k left, which fits Mulhollands comments that there is a bit of money for someone like Lui.

That's based on a 9.4m cap, I am not sure what it goes up by but over 5 years the average is 9.7m, so it must be going up by something.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

edwahu wrote:Assuming Bateman and Baptiste are done deals I think we have about 500k to cover 5 spots. So if we promote the 4 best development players to 70k contracts we have about 200k left, which fits Mulhollands comments that there is a bit of money for someone like Lui.

That's based on a 9.4m cap, I am not sure what it goes up by but over 5 years the average is 9.7m, so it must be going up by something.
isn't minimum $85k now?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

bonehead wrote: July 18, 2018, 5:36 pm
edwahu wrote:Assuming Bateman and Baptiste are done deals I think we have about 500k to cover 5 spots. So if we promote the 4 best development players to 70k contracts we have about 200k left, which fits Mulhollands comments that there is a bit of money for someone like Lui.

isn't minimum $85k now?

100k for players 1 to 26 and 70k for 27 to 30.
Last edited by edwahu on July 18, 2018, 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: July 18, 2018, 6:07 pm
bonehead wrote: July 18, 2018, 5:36 pm

isn't minimum $85k now?

100k for players 1 to 26 and 70k for 27 to 30.
The minimums goes up every yr for the next 5yrs though.
100k is 150k in 5yrs.
70k becomes.... cant remember? Wasnt as big a rise though.

SELF EDIT:
For those who want a better breakdown of the cap, here it is:
- $9.1 million base cap, increasing to $9.7 million in 2022.
- plus $0.2 million per annum veteran and developed player allowance.
- plus $0.1 million per annum car allowance (Max. 5 per club club). 
- Players 1-26 Min. wage $100,000, increasing by $5,000 per annum til 2022.
- Players 27-30 Min. wage $70,000, increasing by $2,500 per annum til 2022.
- Second tier replaced by Development list, players entitled to $60,000 per annum. These players would require special dispensation to play in the NRL in any given year. 
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I missed that. So cap is probably 9.5m or so next year, most of which will get eaten up in the minimum wage increase.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

cheers thanks

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

According to The Australian, the Roosters would love to resign O’Sullivan, however, the Brisbane Broncos have shown interest in luring the rookie north after his solid debut for the Tricolours against the Gold Coast Titans last Sunday night.

It’s also understood the Canberra Raiders were also keen on the young playmaker, but have ultimately not progressed any further with the matter as they believe O’Sullivan will sign with either the Broncos or Roosters.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/rookie-to-de ... ure-34811/
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Any relation?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

reptar wrote: July 19, 2018, 12:35 amAny relation?
Yes. It is alleged that he does indeed have a mother and a father. Hope this helps.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: July 18, 2018, 11:20 pm Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

According to The Australian, the Roosters would love to resign O’Sullivan, however, the Brisbane Broncos have shown interest in luring the rookie north after his solid debut for the Tricolours against the Gold Coast Titans last Sunday night.

It’s also understood the Canberra Raiders were also keen on the young playmaker, but have ultimately not progressed any further with the matter as they believe O’Sullivan will sign with either the Broncos or Roosters.

That last part about the Raiders not progressing further with the matter as they believe he will sign with Broncos or Roosters is exactly why we are making up numbers.

Gee..this kid has potential but the Broncos and Roosters are keen so we'll sign Matt Awfull for a year.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 18, 2018, 11:20 pm Sydney Roosters rookie halfback Sean O’Sullivan is about to be thrusted into the spotlight and has two proud clubs fighting for his signature.

That last part about the Raiders not progressing further with the matter as they believe he will sign with Broncos or Roosters is exactly why we are making up numbers.

Gee..this kid has potential but the Broncos and Roosters are keen so we'll sign Matt Awfull for a year.
Agreed....

And at the very least we should be trying to get those two scum clubs to pay overs for him by staying in the fight for his signature

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We'd rather not try so we can whinge about it.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

He's the son of Peter O'sullivan who was the recruitment manager at the storm when they were done for Salary cap breaches, and was also de registered by the nrl because of his involvement with Eddie Hayson, Its probably not a coincidence his son is being linked to the two clubs most commonly considered to deal in brown paper bags...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

kiwi raider wrote:He's the son of Peter O'sullivan who was the recruitment manager at the storm when they were done for Salary cap breaches, and was also de registered by the nrl because of his involvement with Eddie Hayson, Its probably not a coincidence his son is being linked to the two clubs most commonly considered to deal in brown paper bags...
was it manly trying to get him back in the game?

Edrick The Entertainer
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

bonehead wrote: July 19, 2018, 8:58 am
kiwi raider wrote:He's the son of Peter O'sullivan who was the recruitment manager at the storm when they were done for Salary cap breaches, and was also de registered by the nrl because of his involvement with Eddie Hayson, Its probably not a coincidence his son is being linked to the two clubs most commonly considered to deal in brown paper bags...
was it manly trying to get him back in the game?

He's working as a recruitment manager/talent scout with the Warriors now
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10 ... remiership
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

-PJ- wrote: July 19, 2018, 7:43 am

Choosing to give a deal to O'Hagan instead?
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

-PJ- wrote:

I was about to say the same thing. It’s were we are as a club in the current climate of the NRL. It’s why we will never win another premiership in my lifetime.

In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brew wrote: July 19, 2018, 12:58 pm
-PJ- wrote:

I was about to say the same thing. It’s were we are as a club in the current climate of the NRL. It’s why we will never win another premiership in my lifetime.

Yep..just sitting back and watching the strong get stronger.....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: July 19, 2018, 1:02 pm
-PJ- wrote:

The mind really does boggle that not only have we got ourselves into this position of only making the finals once in 5 years, but we have so badly screwed the cap that we aren't even in a position to make changes to attempt to fix the problem. We have the same number of finals appearances in the last 5 years as Newcastle - and are not retaining players due to salary cap restraints.

I hit Gavel up on twitter this week to ask Sticky how we have ended up losing so many starting 17 players over the last 3 years and have only been able to buy in fringe players, especially given that we have massively underperformed.

I didnt get a reply.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

edwahu wrote: July 19, 2018, 8:29 am We'd rather not try so we can whinge about it.
We'd also rather continue with mediocrity than take a risk, with the potential we wind up with a spoon. I'd much rather the Sezer money was used to pay overs on a talented youngster than bring back a battler. That approach has worked out great for the Knights with Ponga - if this guy is anywhere near that level he was worth throwing money at.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by LastRaider »

Coastalraider wrote:
-PJ- wrote: July 19, 2018, 1:02 pm
-PJ- wrote:

The mind really does boggle that not only have we got ourselves into this position of only making the finals once in 5 years, but we have so badly screwed the cap that we aren't even in a position to make changes to attempt to fix the problem. We have the same number of finals appearances in the last 5 years as Newcastle - and are not retaining players due to salary cap restraints.

I hit Gavel up on twitter this week to ask Sticky how we have ended up losing so many starting 17 players over the last 3 years and have only been able to buy in fringe players, especially given that we have massively underperformed.

I didnt get a reply.
Yep I agree. I believe they went all in for last year, thinking it was going to be the year and failed. It will probably now take 3 years + to fix the cap up again. We will probably just sign fringe first graders and ESL players now and get active in about 2020 for a good challenge in 2021.

It would just be nice if Don and Sticky can show some respect to the fans and tell us that we need to rebuild and is going to take 2 - 3 years to get back on top. I think us the fans if we new this would be a lot more supportive of the club then we are now. Brownie did this at the Knights and actually got the entire town behind him and the team.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That was a rather different situation... as it was another coach and management that put the Knights into that position.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Eastwood is available at the end of this year....

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Rick wrote:Eastwood is available at the end of this year....

and so he should be

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

MS_1302 wrote:Its becoming clearer each day that there will be no more external signings by the raiders for 2019 and all the talk of Norman, Elgey or any others is not going to happen. Prove me wrong Don but jeez
I think you're right.

Nothing significant for 2019.

I'm guessing they're planning for a 2020 signing.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Stuart, Mulholland and Furner should all resign
It's a total and utter fiasco

If the Canberra Times journo had any **** spine at all, they'd be putting pressure on the club for this. Absolutely gutless stuff from those guys... imagine growing up wanting to be a sports journo, finally getting there and becoming a total **** sycophant for the local sports club.

The Canberra sports journalists are a total and utter embarrassment to their profession. Shame on them.