Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 5, 2018, 7:16 pm Imagine having a forward pack who could kick field goals. Then we’d be onto something.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Are you suggesting we get Big Dane outta retirement?
Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

We’ve been offered Mitch Moses along with Melbourne Storm, Sydney Roosters and Brisbane Broncos.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... k52mz7j94j
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dear god no

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Ohh hell to tha NO!!! :rant
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I hate Mitch Moses. I reckon he’s the most over rated player I’ve seen for the past decade or so.

But this club isn’t in the position to knock back a first grade half especially if they’re at a cut price.

In saying that though I reckon it’s probably made up anyway.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The best halves in the NRL are the ones that make those around them better players. Moses has the reverse effect.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd take him at 200k for 1 season with an option in our favour. I'd drop him quick if he stunk though, which isn't Ricky's style.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Not a team player. He is gifted but please God no. Although it could have some hilarious results. Put him next to BJ and BJ could be the first player sent off for assaulting a teammate.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I wouldn’t want Moses, especially at the price we’d have to pay for him...

I’m not content with our 2019 line up but I think we’ll have to be content with this (and hope something else... a half or TPJ is in the pipeline):

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker (c)
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Sezer
7. Williams
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Murchie
16. Soliola
17. Guler

Knight, Lui, L. Bateman, Hingano, Oldfield, Horsburgh, Kris, O’Hagan

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

julian87 wrote:I hate Mitch Moses. I reckon he’s the most over rated player I’ve seen for the past decade or so.

But this club isn’t in the position to knock back a first grade half especially if they’re at a cut price.

In saying that though I reckon it’s probably made up anyway.
10000% agree with you. Can’t believe all the circus hype around him when he was rumoured to be leaving Tigers to Parra

In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He stinks...like feet.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

-PJ- wrote:He stinks...like feet.
So what you’re saying is... it’s a done deal?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

[
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Replacing Blake Austin with Mitch Moses would be like...well, replacing Blake Austin with Mitch Moses.

We desperately need to fix up our edge defence. This signing will, thankfully, never ever happen.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

He has the same agent as Tedesco yeah?
If so, he’s probably playing us to drive up Mitch’s value

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 6, 2018, 10:51 am He has the same agent as Tedesco yeah?
If so, he’s probably playing us to drive up Mitch’s value

Yeah, it's an odd selection of teams. Spot the odd one out.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

gergreg wrote: October 6, 2018, 9:12 am Not a team player. He is gifted but please God no. Although it could have some hilarious results. Put him next to BJ and BJ could be the first player sent off for assaulting a teammate.

Can you get sent off for a high tackle on your own player??
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Schifty wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 6, 2018, 9:12 am Not a team player. He is gifted but please God no. Although it could have some hilarious results. Put him next to BJ and BJ could be the first player sent off for assaulting a teammate.

Can you get sent off for a high tackle on your own player??
It's almost worth signing him to find out. Nah who am I kidding.

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

You can't be penalized for making contact with the head or neck of a teammate, however you can for striking, tripping or kicking a teammate. It may also come under the concept of contrary conduct or conduct not within the spirit of the game.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I've played for a team where 2 of our players had a fight during the game. Weird experience. Running in looking for opposition players only to find its 2 of your own. Can't say it's good for moral. We won the premiership the previous year and didn't win a game that year... I remember when Mullins pushed Mclinden for not clearing a ball in goal. Not something you ever want to see again in lime green. Pretty sure that's why mullins was ultimately let go from the club.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeah i'm pretty keen to get a half on the books for next year, it's clear we have a need there and we're very unlikely to go far without something changing in the halves but i dont think Moses is the answer in anyway shape or form
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It speaks volumes that the wooden spooner is trying to get rid of a playmaker who they recruited just a bit over a year ago.

If that's not a red flag for other clubs, I don't know what is.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He'll end up in the ESL

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I'd like us to wait to see if someone a little better than Moses comes on the market.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

FROG wrote: October 6, 2018, 1:27 pm I remember when Mullins pushed Mclinden for not clearing a ball in goal. Not something you ever want to see again in lime green. Pretty sure that's why mullins was ultimately let go from the club.
My old man and I have been going to every home game since Canberra Stadium was new. My mum isn’t much of a fan but for some unknown reason she went to that game. It was cold and wet and we got toweled up by Parra. She hated every minute of it and never went again.

But she did run into Mullo the following week and gave him an absolute spray about pushing McLinden. I always figured that exchange factored into why he left.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think he’s better than Williams. I’d consider it, but it’d depend on price. I think he’d want more than I’d be prepared to offer.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ruben Daley wrote: October 6, 2018, 5:15 pm
FROG wrote: October 6, 2018, 1:27 pm I remember when Mullins pushed Mclinden for not clearing a ball in goal. Not something you ever want to see again in lime green. Pretty sure that's why mullins was ultimately let go from the club.
My old man and I have been going to every home game since Canberra Stadium was new. My mum isn’t much of a fan but for some unknown reason she went to that game. It was cold and wet and we got toweled up by Parra. She hated every minute of it and never went again.

But she did run into Mullo the following week and gave him an absolute spray about pushing McLinden. I always figured that exchange factored into why he left.
:roflmao

Good on her. Mullins was a prick.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: October 6, 2018, 1:27 pm yeah i'm pretty keen to get a half on the books for next year, it's clear we have a need there and we're very unlikely to go far without something changing in the halves but i dont think Moses is the answer in anyway shape or form
I agree, its a tough call that needs to be made here. Its tough because he is obviously more talented than the other halves on our roster.

However...
1. His ego has been stroked too hard by so called experts and he plays accordingly.
2. Price tag due to the above opinion of himself (cavet being, if we are only paying 500-600K a yr for the remainder of his current contract coz Parra are footing the rest).
3. His flaws are unfortunately our issue
3a. Defense. Granted, it appears better than his Tiger days, but 65 missed tackles isnt good reading. Though, only 7 try causes and 11 line break causes.
3b. Game management. Loves a short side play, no matter the situation. Can throw a speculative pass. Does have a kick out on the full in him too.
3c. 'Be the General'. He wants to be the man. So does Sezer. So does Hodgo. Too man Chiefs, not enough Indians has been an issue for us already.
greeneyed wrote: October 6, 2018, 2:18 pm It speaks volumes that the wooden spooner is trying to get rid of a playmaker who they recruited just a bit over a year ago.

I believe that this is as much a Cap issue as it is a personal and a performance issue. Remember that his arrival bumped them to 4th last yr.

I just think they are burning the whole side down to rebuild it. Moving both your high profile halves in 1 yr is a very gutsy move. I know the players have their issues, but this is drastic.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cap issues are one thing, but this is a guy they trumpeted as a major signing less than 18 months ago, a guy they said they'd build the team around
i get they have cap issues but you can offload other players to deal with that... if the knights ran into cap problems, you think they'd put up Ponga or Pearce for sale?
No **** way.

GE is right, that he's been designated the sacrificial lamb to solve their cap problems says a fair bit about how they've soured on him in the last 18 months
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: October 6, 2018, 7:50 pm Cap issues are one thing, but this is a guy they trumpeted as a major signing less than 18 months ago, a guy they said they'd build the team around
i get they have cap issues but you can offload other players to deal with that... if the knights ran into cap problems, you think they'd put up Ponga or Pearce for sale?
No **** way.

GE is right, that he's been designated the sacrificial lamb to solve their cap problems says a fair bit about how they've soured on him in the last 18 months
Not disagreeing. Just think its a whole package of flop
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 6, 2018, 6:09 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: October 6, 2018, 5:15 pm

:roflmao

Good on her. Mullins was a prick.
Ha ha. Not quite what I told her at the time...

My main memory of Mullo off-field was seeing him playing in the basketball tournament at the Young Cherry Festival in about 1997. It was 9 a.m. and he was hammered. He could barely catch but attempted an alley-oop dunk. Needless to say, he got absolutely nowhere near it. It was an outdoor bitumen court that was perfect for breaking your ankles on and I could barely watch. Think that probably sums up his professionalism.

Still, I loved watching him play.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My main memory of Mullins was as a 6 year old, hanging out the back of Penrith Stadium, trying to get signatures of all the players for my cards... everyone was great

Except Mullins who emerged from the sheds with a bandage around his write and declared he couldnt sign stuff. I got everyone else, and my Mum, pushed her way forward to the bus and wound up speaking to Furner, and when Mum relayed the situation about me missing out on Mullins because of the hand his response was apparently "oh, he does that all the time, give it to me"
he went on the bus and emerged a few minutes later with a signed card

at the time i was over the **** moon that i got all my cards signed... but as an adult, ive got some dim views on that situation.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

I've got some sensational stories about Brett Mullins... Absolute Champion..... I will not put anything down on the record.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I remember seeing Mullins walk into the Vikings club at erindale once. He had to use the side entrance because his head couldn't fit through the door.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:
Pigman wrote: October 6, 2018, 1:27 pm yeah i'm pretty keen to get a half on the books for next year, it's clear we have a need there and we're very unlikely to go far without something changing in the halves but i dont think Moses is the answer in anyway shape or form
I agree, its a tough call that needs to be made here. Its tough because he is obviously more talented than the other halves on our roster.

However...
1. His ego has been stroked too hard by so called experts and he plays accordingly.
2. Price tag due to the above opinion of himself (cavet being, if we are only paying 500-600K a yr for the remainder of his current contract coz Parra are footing the rest).
3. His flaws are unfortunately our issue
3a. Defense. Granted, it appears better than his Tiger days, but 65 missed tackles isnt good reading. Though, only 7 try causes and 11 line break causes.
3b. Game management. Loves a short side play, no matter the situation. Can throw a speculative pass. Does have a kick out on the full in him too.
3c. 'Be the General'. He wants to be the man. So does Sezer. So does Hodgo. Too man Chiefs, not enough Indians has been an issue for us already.
greeneyed wrote: October 6, 2018, 2:18 pm It speaks volumes that the wooden spooner is trying to get rid of a playmaker who they recruited just a bit over a year ago.

I believe that this is as much a Cap issue as it is a personal and a performance issue. Remember that his arrival bumped them to 4th last yr.

I just think they are burning the whole side down to rebuild it. Moving both your high profile halves in 1 yr is a very gutsy move. I know the players have their issues, but this is drastic.
It's not a gutsy move.... Moses is toxic, end of.