Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2018, 12:08 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 14, 2018, 11:20 am I'm not sure the people on the Eels forum are a reliable source of information!
Correct, Facebook is where the truth is...

If it's on Facebook..believe it.
Well they do have access to everyones data.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Northern Raider wrote: April 13, 2018, 5:30 pm Should look at Brodie Croft. Storm are unhappy that he hasn’t turned into Cooper Cronk after 5 games. The kid has talent.
If he came to the Raiders, some on here would give him about 30 mins to stake his claims before they were screaming for some 17 year old from Mounties reserves to supplant him.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/izzy-i ... 4z9e5.html

Has this been mentioned? Horrible rumour. Just horrible.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yes it has: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Folau in the Canberra Raiders' sights?
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

-TW- wrote:Yes it has: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Folau in the Canberra Raiders' sights?
Thanks Timmy. I hadn't opened up the forum properly. I just saw it now. I should learn to read first.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

We should definitely make an offer to Josh Drinkwater. 3 Team of the weeks at halfback in the NSW Cup.

Just to tide us over if Austin leaves and there isn't anyone suitable. Two reggies halves are better than one.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dean Hawkins from Norths looks decent too
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 14, 2018, 3:03 pm We should definitely make an offer to Josh Drinkwater. 3 Team of the weeks at halfback in the NSW Cup.

Just to tide us over if Austin leaves and there isn't anyone suitable. Two reggies halves are better than one.
Can he defend? Williams won poty in nsw cup.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 14, 2018, 3:03 pm We should definitely make an offer to Josh Drinkwater. 3 Team of the weeks at halfback in the NSW Cup.

Jake Foster was MVP of nsw cup a few times too. Not just man of the round.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Green eyed Mick wrote:We should definitely make an offer to Josh Drinkwater. 3 Team of the weeks at halfback in the NSW Cup.

25 year old journey man who couldn’t cut it at two NRL clubs so heads to England before returning home. I haven’t watched him play but sounds very similar to Williams. Not sure he is the Drinkwater I would be going after.

Scott Drinkwater from Easts in the Q cup on the other hand would be someone I would consider
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

RTW wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:We should definitely make an offer to Josh Drinkwater. 3 Team of the weeks at halfback in the NSW Cup.

25 year old journey man who couldn’t cut it at two NRL clubs so heads to England before returning home. I haven’t watched him play but sounds very similar to Williams. Not sure he is the Drinkwater I would be going after.

Scott Drinkwater from Easts in the Q cup on the other hand would be someone I would consider
He's been very strong this season.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

I think when Williams is fit he goes to Mounties, Sezer has gone next level as main organiser. His kicking game has been amazing. Austin played well last night as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Mariner
Peter Jackson

Post by Mariner »

edit
Last edited by Mariner on September 9, 2022, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Green with Envy
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Green with Envy »

Whatever happened to the Ryan Sutton rumour? A friend of mine is working in London and regularly attends the super league games, and he reckons that Sutton has the same potential that everyone saw in James Graham before he came to the NRL. Those who have seen Sutton play, what are your thoughts on how he plays? Is he worth us pursuing if, say, Paulo or Papalli leave at season's end?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

How I would like us to line up next year.
1. Cotric
2. Mansor (Recruit)
3. Croker
4. Leluia
5. Rapana
6. Norman (Recruit)
7. Sezer
8. Boyd
9. Hodgson
10. Campbell-Gillard (Recruit)
11. Whitehead
12. Tapine
13. Lui
14. Havili
15. Papilii
16. Gubb
17. Murchie

Out: Wighton, Paulo, Austin, Bateman, Sia (retirement)

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

LastRaider wrote: April 17, 2018, 7:43 am How I would like us to line up next year.
1. Cotric
2. Mansor (Recruit)
3. Croker
4. Leluia
5. Rapana
6. Norman (Recruit)
7. Sezer
8. Boyd
9. Hodgson
11. Whitehead
12. Tapine
13. Lui
14. Havili
15. Papilii
16. Gubb
17. Murchie

I don't mind this.
Wouldn't be my picks, but certain works.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Mole is reporting that Paulo is a done deal at Parramatta, $600K a year for 4 seasons. He also mentioned there will be a big clean out there.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

600k is high but seems not so crazy. We are probably paying him that already.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I think it's a shame to lose him, but I also think his heart hasn't been in Canberra for the best part of twelve months anyway.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I really like Paulo. A shame to lose him. Hopefully his money is invested wisely... Hopefully spend $200K - $250K on a decent quality prop. The rest on a half upgrade.

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Eels listed 10 players to go. Our problems are minor compared to theirs
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

LastRaider wrote: April 17, 2018, 7:43 am How I would like us to line up next year.
1. Cotric
2. Mansor (Recruit)
3. Croker
4. Leluia
5. Rapana
6. Norman (Recruit)
7. Sezer
8. Boyd
9. Hodgson
11. Whitehead
12. Tapine
13. Lui
14. Havili
15. Papilii
16. Gubb
17. Murchie

Mansour gets injured a lot. Would need to make sure you hold on to a backup that's good for a decent 10 rounds each year.
If you wanted to spend cap elsewhere Malakai Watene-Zelezniak has been killing it for the tigpies.
Facepalm
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Vaughny

Post by Facepalm »

Got word from a source that they spotted Norman in a Belco real estate shop twice late last week. Future planning?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Heard that as well, also heard he wasn't going back after the game on the weekend so grain of salt
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Considering top level props are getting paid in the $800k range, I'm not sure how I would feel about losing Paulo at $600k. I know he's been underperforming, but are we going to pick up a prop or lock with a similar output for cheaper price? I honestly don't see it happening.

I will reserve my judgement because obviously I have no idea what our recruitment strategy is going in to next year. And it is definitely much better having players in the team who want to be here. But I don't think it's a bad pick up by Parra at that price.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 17, 2018, 12:51 pm Considering top level props are getting paid in the $800k range, I'm not sure how I would feel about losing Paulo at $600k. I know he's been underperforming, but are we going to pick up a prop or lock with a similar output for cheaper price? I honestly don't see it happening.

I will reserve my judgement because obviously I have no idea what our recruitment strategy is going in to next year. And it is definitely much better having players in the team who want to be here. But I don't think it's a bad pick up by Parra at that price.
Mole's article quotes over 600k a season which could mean anything. I think we're better off going after a more mobile prop the big boppers are getting phased out imo.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

600k id pay vaughan easily....

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 17, 2018, 12:51 pm Considering top level props are getting paid in the $800k range, I'm not sure how I would feel about losing Paulo at $600k. I know he's been underperforming, but are we going to pick up a prop or lock with a similar output for cheaper price? I honestly don't see it happening.

800k in my book is overpaying for a prop. Any prop. 600k for how he's performing here is also overpaying. If he goes to Parra and plays like Vaughan for a couple of seasons it'll be a good signing for them, but it would still have been a bad signing for us to keep him at that price.

We need to look at how the signings affect the squad. Not just replacing like for like on comparable money and calling it a failure if it doesn't fall that way. As an example 400k for a prop that is more mobile and a better defender with 200k into a halves signing.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

sprintman wrote: April 17, 2018, 10:43 am Eels listed 10 players to go. Our problems are minor compared to theirs
Who are they all?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

VictorTheViking wrote: April 17, 2018, 1:24 pm 600k id pay vaughan easily....

Pretty sure Dragons are paying 750K
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: April 17, 2018, 2:20 pm
sprintman wrote: April 17, 2018, 10:43 am Eels listed 10 players to go. Our problems are minor compared to theirs
Who are they all?
https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/04/17/08/ ... n-the-mole

A host of big names, including Kirisome Auva'a, David Gower, Jarryd Hayne, George Jennings, Cameron King, Suaia Matagi, Kaysa Pritchard, Beau Scott, Peni Terepo, Siosaia Vave and Tony Williams are off contract and many will be told they are free to leave.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

@VictorTheViking You're dreaming if you think we can get Vaughan at $600k in his current form...

@zim Although I agree with the thinking behind your suggestion, it will likely be harder than you think for us to pick up a first grade standard starting forward at that price. We're the Raiders, remember - we either need to pick someone up who has fallen out of favour at his current club and has no other interested parties, or we'd need to pay overs to entice someone here from another club. And overs at $400k means we'd be getting a $300k level forward. No problem with it if the coaching/recruitment staff have a solid plan in place. But if it fails, then I'd be questioning the decision.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:
Matt wrote: April 17, 2018, 2:20 pm
Who are they all?
https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/04/17/08/ ... n-the-mole

A host of big names, including Kirisome Auva'a, David Gower, Jarryd Hayne, George Jennings, Cameron King, Suaia Matagi, Kaysa Pritchard, Beau Scott, Peni Terepo, Siosaia Vave and Tony Williams are off contract and many will be told they are free to leave.
no nrl quality there

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 17, 2018, 2:26 pm @VictorTheViking You're dreaming if you think we can get Vaughan at $600k in his current form...

@zim Although I agree with the thinking behind your suggestion, it will likely be harder than you think for us to pick up a first grade standard starting forward at that price. We're the Raiders, remember - we either need to pick someone up who has fallen out of favour at his current club and has no other interested parties, or we'd need to pay overs to entice someone here from another club. And overs at $400k means we'd be getting a $300k level forward. No problem with it if the coaching/recruitment staff have a solid plan in place. But if it fails, then I'd be questioning the decision.
This is what I was alluding to with the thinking about the squad. Papalii is going to play in the middle if he stays. You can use some of Paulos money to keep Papalii, sign a backup forward, promote a junior forward, push it somewhere else in the cap to improve that position (5/8, lock). There's a lot you can do with that money that improves the squad as a whole.
We don't have to sign a first grade standard starting forward based off 1 player leaving. If Papalii also leaves that completely changes the scenario but then you are also dealing with way more cash.
If we lost those 2 and didn't make a significant signing you might as well just quit the NRL.
Last edited by zim on April 17, 2018, 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Don't Bother:
Tony Williams - How many 2nd chances does 1 guy get?
David Gower - plod plod plod
Jarryd Hayne - was left in somewhere between 2009 and 2015?
Kirisome Auva'a - Solid, but not outstanding. Plenty of off filed issues, which is why he has changed clubs a couple of times already.
Kaysa Pritchard - A walking HIA or Injury, PASS!
Beau Scott - Been a PASS from me for the best part of a decade. Ben Cregh anyone?!?!
Siosaia Vave - Showed plenty of promise. Never got close.

Depth Only:
George Jennings - This is centre/ winger depth that would actually be ok IMO.
Cameron King - The type of guy you bring in as depth like Havili or Garvey.
Suaia Matagi - Solid, but not outstanding. Would be a decent depth option.

Worth a punt:
Peni Terepo - I would totally take a chance on this guy. He has been in there top 3 performers the past 3 wks. Physical guy, that can play decent minutes. Only issue, he seems to have a error in him. Could certainly put pressure on the likes of Gubb and Bateman.