Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by TongueFTW »

The only reason our halves are consistently called upon to win us games in clutch situations is our inability to defend. I am not even convinced a so called “dominant half” can work when we have Hodgson (and, to a lesser extent, Wighton) in our spine. Williams and Sezer are fine - we made a run to the semis in 2012 with Williams and McCrone, with Glenn Buttris at hooker (!). This team is not underperforming due to lack of attacking options or halves, it is ill discipline, lack of fitness and defensive structures.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

TongueFTW wrote:The only reason our halves are consistently called upon to win us games in clutch situations is our inability to defend. I am not even convinced a so called “dominant half” can work when we have Hodgson (and, to a lesser extent, Wighton) in our spine. Williams and Sezer are fine - we made a run to the semis in 2012 with Williams and McCrone, with Glenn Buttris at hooker (!). This team is not underperforming due to lack of attacking options or halves, it is ill discipline, lack of fitness and defensive structures.
one of our biggest problems is our tackle 5 option, when we do get the kick to the corner the chase isn't good enough or we give up a silly penalty, it's killing our defensive set and draining our energy. Couple that with frantic attack and cue the fade.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

TongueFTW wrote: August 14, 2018, 1:58 pm The only reason our halves are consistently called upon to win us games in clutch situations is our inability to defend. I am not even convinced a so called “dominant half” can work when we have Hodgson (and, to a lesser extent, Wighton) in our spine. Williams and Sezer are fine - we made a run to the semis in 2012 with Williams and McCrone, with Glenn Buttris at hooker (!). This team is not underperforming due to lack of attacking options or halves, it is ill discipline, lack of fitness and defensive structures.
I think you’re partly right, which is why Wighton to five-eighth is appealing. He’ll make a weak defensive position into a strong one, so theoretically we won’t be conceding a couple of those horrendous edge tries and therefore won’t have as much pressure on the halves at the end of the game.

But I still can’t see any combination of our current players being strong enough in the halves for us to be true contenders. Williams’ pass to Bateman on the fourth during a set when we were desperate for a try on Sunday was a classic example of why our guys aren’t able to lead at key times.

But, yes, fix the discipline, fitness and structures and we’ll win most games.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Comment heard often that Raiders aren’t fit
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Ruben Daley wrote:
TongueFTW wrote: August 14, 2018, 1:58 pm The only reason our halves are consistently called upon to win us games in clutch situations is our inability to defend. I am not even convinced a so called “dominant half” can work when we have Hodgson (and, to a lesser extent, Wighton) in our spine. Williams and Sezer are fine - we made a run to the semis in 2012 with Williams and McCrone, with Glenn Buttris at hooker (!). This team is not underperforming due to lack of attacking options or halves, it is ill discipline, lack of fitness and defensive structures.
I think you’re partly right, which is why Wighton to five-eighth is appealing. He’ll make a weak defensive position into a strong one, so theoretically we won’t be conceding a couple of those horrendous edge tries and therefore won’t have as much pressure on the halves at the end of the game.

But I still can’t see any combination of our current players being strong enough in the halves for us to be true contenders. Williams’ pass to Bateman on the fourth during a set when we were desperate for a try on Sunday was a classic example of why our guys aren’t able to lead at key times.

Because the Wighton to 5/8 experiment was such a hit last time, wasn't it?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

sprintman wrote: August 14, 2018, 7:27 pm Comment heard often that Raiders aren’t fit
I don't understand how this can be true.

The toughest pre season ever...each and every pre season.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Captain Punish wrote: August 14, 2018, 7:45 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:

Papalii moving to the middle has been a failure just like last time as well.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

zim wrote:
Ruben Daley wrote:

Papalii moving to the middle has been a failure just like last time as well.
I still think Papalii is more damaging on the edge. But Whitehead and Tapine are better, fitter options. So it is what it is. Also, Second row to lock, is far less crucial a move than numpty fullback to far more numpty 5/8.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don’t think you can call Wighton a numpty fullback based on 2018.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I feel sorry for Jack, he has been moved around in so many different positions, then he finally this year looks to be at home at Fullback and now we are looking to move him again.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:32 pm I don’t think you can call Wighton a numpty fullback based on 2018.
He's not. He still has that odd error in him, but as you have pointed out he is a vital cog in our attack. He was last season and the season before too.

People just see what they want to see.

The **** just needs to sort himself out off the field.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on August 15, 2018, 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Precisely.

Defense, fitness and attitude are our main problems (all related). Talent across the park isn't the issue here.

If we fix our defense and all 17 players go into each game with the right attitude, the 5th tackle panic options go, as does the tendency to give away stupid penalties.

This team has one of the best attacks in the comp despite being a completely ill disciplined rabble at times. We are typically only switched on for a maximum of 50 minutes a game. It's quite remarkable when you think about it.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Good post
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Seiffert82 wrote:
julian87 wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:32 pm I don’t think you can call Wighton a numpty fullback based on 2018.
He's not. He still has that odd error in him, but as you have pointed out he is a vital cog in our attack. He was last season and the season before too.

What gives you the right to talk like that (****) about someone ? Is it a right because you pay a membership fee? Do you see it as being constructive? Would you call him that face to face ? Would you run crying if you got a smack in the mouth for it ?

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 15, 2018, 7:25 am

Agree, I reckon if you put jack at fullback in one of the strong teams like the rabbitohs sharks or roosters, they'd still be a good chance of winning the premiership, if you put our halves combination in to those same sides they'd be no chance
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Keghead wrote: August 15, 2018, 8:33 am
Seiffert82 wrote:

What gives you the right to talk like that (****) about someone ? Is it a right because you pay a membership fee ? Do you see it as being constructive? Would you call him that face to face ? Would you run crying if you got a smack in the mouth for it ?

Wighton would probably go to jail if he just randomly smacks somebody in the head. .. again.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Please remember... swearing of any kind is not permitted on The Greenhouse. It is not acceptable to put in an asterisk or two, making it obvious what swear word is being used. We use swearing filters so there is no swearing, in whole or in part. We'd prefer posters avoid using swear words entirely... and express your views without them.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

gergreg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

What gives you the right to talk like that (****) about someone ? Is it a right because you pay a membership fee ? Do you see it as being constructive? Would you call him that face to face ? Would you run crying if you got a smack in the mouth for it ?

Wighton would probably go to jail if he just randomly smacks somebody in the head. .. again.
Nice work Nostradamus

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Ruben Daley wrote:

Nope, it was a massive failure. But Wighton is a way more confident and rounded player now because he’s 130 games into his career rather than 40 odd.

I actually don’t want to move him because he’s been excellent at fullback this year. I just don’t have faith in Sezer and Williams as a combo, and reckon Jack’s defence and ability to create for his outside men is a better risk to take. Hence why I referred to him moving to five-eighth as “appealing”. Particularly with Cotric such a good replacement at the back.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well, the podcast from Ricky Stuart today said he was thinking of Wighton at No. 1 or 6 for next year. Cotric at wing or centre only.

Not asked about Rapana at fullback....

IMO... Brad Abbey is unable to fill the fullback role at NRL level. So that leaves Rapana as the option there.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2018, 10:01 pm Well, the podcast from Ricky Stuart today said he was thinking of Wighton at No. 1 or 6 for next year. Cotric at wing or centre only.

IMO... Brad Abbey is unable to fill the fullback role at NRL level. So that leaves Rapana as the option there.
Unless we had money in the cap for a premiership winning fullback still in his prime and currently a free agent looking for a club...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If Brad Abbey bulks up significantly he would be in the picture, but right now he's far too lean
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Keghead wrote: August 15, 2018, 2:34 pm
gergreg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

Nice work Nostradamus

Thanks. I'm pretty chuffed to get your approval.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Beejay wrote: August 15, 2018, 10:04 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2018, 10:01 pm Well, the podcast from Ricky Stuart today said he was thinking of Wighton at No. 1 or 6 for next year. Cotric at wing or centre only.

Unless we had money in the cap for a premiership winning fullback still in his prime and currently a free agent looking for a club...
Very strong rumour the Roosters have some money left and have made an offer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Beejay wrote:

Don't think Darius likes the cold

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

That’s interesting about Cotric. Sounds like he’s playing wing unless Ricky is prepared to move Toots or BJ - which I highly doubt.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Ruben Daley wrote: August 16, 2018, 7:10 am

That’s interesting about Cotric. Sounds like he’s playing wing unless Ricky is prepared to move Toots or BJ - which I highly doubt.
Cotric has been great on the wing and has developed a strong combo with Toots. I know he has to grow into the fullback role a bit if he was to play there however I feel he has had more impact on the wing than fullback at this point although early days.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Interesting comment. Is something going on with our current centres? If there wasn’t, he would have just said Cotric was only being considered for the wing.

Maybe moving BJ to Wing, 2nd Row, or out of the squad altogether?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I think the Cotric comment had a bit more context: Cotric is a wing or centre (right now, without a preseason at fullback if Wighton moves to 6). He hasn't ruled out Cotric playing fullback next year.
Agree that Abbey isn't a first grade level fullback.
Last edited by zim on August 16, 2018, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

If BJ is in the squad he has to be at Centre with Rapana next to him. Joey is our highest try scorer.
I still think we just need to buy a Norman or give Carney a train and trial contract or second option to throw money at Barba and move Jack to 6. Just make it happen

In Ricky We Trust
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

We won't sign anyone who is an established NRL talent, publically stated we have no money in the cap. If Jack is moved to 6, Rapa will probably move to fullback with Oldfield to the wing or Brad Abbey will be our permanent 1... dark times
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

How could it all go so wrong...again!! I had huge hopes when stick took over, i was optimistic when we were losing in his first year or two, 2016 made me think we were on the way up (although i was concerned about how 90% of our tries seem to come from freakish plays) last year i was blown away by how average we were but kept telling myself "we nearly made the gf last season we will come good". After this season, ive lost all faith, we need a new set of halves, we will never win a title with sezer and williams, we wont even make top 8.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: August 16, 2018, 1:12 pm

I think the Cotric comment had a bit more context: Cotric is a wing or centre (right now, without a preseason at fullback if Wighton moves to 6). He hasn't ruled out Cotric playing fullback next year.
Agree that Abbey isn't a first grade level fullback.
Yes. Good context Zim.
He also said you need 18 months to get your FB legs.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I'm sure we'll all calmly wait while he grows into the role ;)
Really highlights how crazy talented guys like Trbojevic and Ponga are.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Maybe he's thinking of playing Toots at Fullback... Oldfield on the wing outside cotric...

Who am i kidding, that at least sounds plausible. It'll be Sia at fullback, Papalli five eighth and williams in the front row.
I found a moon rock in my nose....