Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Kermit
John Ferguson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Kermit »

Corey Horsburgh.....sorry if it’s been mentioned before but is he still with us?

Been going ok in junior kangaroos.
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

He is

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: October 12, 2018, 9:59 pm
Manchild wrote: October 12, 2018, 8:35 pm
julian87 wrote:Lol at taking Maloney over DCE.

That is all time.
Matt's Matchups
Manchild... not directed at you specifically, but there seem to be a lot of people these days wanting to criticise... but not a lot of people wanting to step up and do any work for the site. Would be nice if more people jumped in and put their own opinions on the line. Or maybe posted stories and links?
If that’s aimed at me I’ve put a lot of very alternative opinions and ideas up on here.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

If it's aimed at me I add no value whatsoever!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Junior Kangaroo Tino Fa'ausumaleaui seems to be off contract with the Storm at this stage. He looks like a future star I think now would be the best time to try and sign him before he commands big $$$$$.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BigPapa wrote: October 14, 2018, 9:53 am Junior Kangaroo Tino Fa'ausumaleaui seems to be off contract with the Storm at this stage. He looks like a future star I think now would be the best time to try and sign him before he commands big $$$$$.
He was sensational yesterday.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Looks like development players will now be allowed to be used at any time after June 30 and teams will actually have to publish their squads. I still can't believe the latter had to be negotiated with the club's.

https://outline.com/rwU9Rj

Our first squad announcement will be 24 players before November 1st, which I think covers everyone we already know.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

edwahu wrote:If it was 1987 and the GH existed there would've been at least one person saying No to signing Mal.
Because we signed Mal in 85

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:

That is all time.
Matt's Matchups
Manchild... not directed at you specifically, but there seem to be a lot of people these days wanting to criticise... but not a lot of people wanting to step up and do any work for the site. Would be nice if more people jumped in and put their own opinions on the line. Or maybe posted stories and links?
Nah come on Fergus. It's easier to sit back and bag people who actually make a positive contribution.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

gangrenous wrote:
Manchild wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

That is all time.
Matt's Matchups
I think that was directed at me just quitely. No wonder I dont post here much anymore. Have a bit of a joke/banter and get jumped on.
If you want to take it that way... your call. Seems pretty clear you were just the unfortunate straw that broke GE’s back.

It’s a pretty common problem with society these days. Lots of critics and not many people putting out their idea/solution.

The irony of my post is not lost on me Image
I didn't see GE aiming at you manchild. There are posters like Julian, Gangers and gergreg who offer robust and healthy debate.... but it's never in the manner which GE is alluding to.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:If it's aimed at me I add no value whatsoever!
Hey! Frank has plenty of value! And I look forward to the return of his segment in 2019

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

A list of some off contract talent...
TPJ would obviously be at the top of many clubs lists...

A. Brimson is an interesting one that I hope our club has enquired about or is about to enquire about...

https://www.zerotackle.com/top-10-playe ... 019-37308/

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

So far for 2019

OUTS
Boyd, Paulo, Austin, Garvey, Gubb

Ins
Bateman, Sutton

Would expect a couple more names coming in at some point depending on what other clubs are doing
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Dusty wrote: October 14, 2018, 3:26 pm A list of some off contract talent...
TPJ would obviously be at the top of many clubs lists...

A. Brimson is an interesting one that I hope our club has enquired about or is about to enquire about...

https://www.zerotackle.com/top-10-playe ... 019-37308/

AJ Brimson re-signed with Titoons already. Did it a wk or 2 after season finished
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I heard on the radio this afternoon that the Knights are $2.6 million under the cap for 2018 and Brown is planning on signing six more players to complete his 2019 roster.

How could the Knights, with their fairly decent up-and-coming roster and having already added Lee and Ramien for next season be so far under the cap? Especially if with our roster, we are on the cap and unable to add any players? This is just shocking cap management by the club.

The same report said the Eels have basically put their entire roster up for grabs and are willing to release anyone at the right price to try and clear cap space.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Timbo wrote: October 15, 2018, 1:08 pm I heard on the radio this afternoon that the Knights are $2.6 million under the cap for 2018 and Brown is planning on signing six more players to complete his 2019 roster.

How could the Knights, with their fairly decent up-and-coming roster and having already added Lee and Ramien for next season be so far under the cap? Especially if with our roster, we are on the cap and unable to add any players? This is just shocking cap management by the club.

The same report said the Eels have basically put their entire roster up for grabs and are willing to release anyone at the right price to try and clear cap space.
The Knights have done an exceptional job of front-loading contracts when they were in a period when they couldn't attract players. Im sure half the squad (that have been there for any period of time) have already had the majority of their contract paid out.

We are in the habit of paying overs to players when they are in form, only for them to drop that form and still be paid big money for the duration of their contract.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Knights tanked hard for three years to get their warchest. Whether it was worth the suffering is yet to be seen, they still aren't winning the arms race with the Roosters and Broncos.

It's probably a good example of why front loading should be banned.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I thought front and back ending deals was banned years ago when there was speculation the Roosters paid Maloney while he was still playing for the Warriors?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

edwahu wrote:Knights tanked hard for three years to get their warchest. Whether it was worth the suffering is yet to be seen, they still aren't winning the arms race with the Roosters and Broncos.

It's probably a good example of why front loading should be banned.
I think it has its place. Could be done well if you balance your front loading and back loading correctly.

Des has shown us all how not to do it
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: October 15, 2018, 4:30 pm I thought front and back ending deals was banned years ago when there was speculation the Roosters paid Maloney while he was still playing for the Warriors?

I think that was because he was been paid before he even joined.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:
gergreg wrote: October 15, 2018, 4:30 pm I thought front and back ending deals was banned years ago when there was speculation the Roosters paid Maloney while he was still playing for the Warriors?

I think that was because he was been paid before he even joined.
Yeah that's what I meant. Wasn't the practise banned after it came to light? Clearly not, considering what Hasler has done at his last 2 clubs.

Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Timbo wrote: October 15, 2018, 1:08 pm I heard on the radio this afternoon that the Knights are $2.6 million under the cap for 2018 and Brown is planning on signing six more players to complete his 2019 roster.

Do you really think the Knights roster is decent?
If that squad is filling the Cap then they should just give up now.

Do they have ANY players that are currently internationals? We've got 3 starting English players, Rapana for NZ with Tapine very unlucky to not be playing right now, and Papalli pulling out of the running for Australia.
Our club does have poor cap management, but comparing our roster to the Knights doesn't prove that.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Beejay wrote: October 16, 2018, 2:39 pm

Do you really think the Knights roster is decent?
If that squad is filling the Cap then they should just give up now.

Do they have ANY players that are currently internationals? We've got 3 starting English players, Rapana for NZ with Tapine very unlucky to not be playing right now, and Papalli pulling out of the running for Australia.
Our club does have poor cap management, but comparing our roster to the Knights doesn't prove that.
Depends who they sign next. Our squad is better, but not 2.6m better.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Apparently Gould is shopping Maloney (poor defence). Wouldn’t be cheap....
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Gould is usually willing to keep paying something after he ships a player off.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'd be prepared to swap him for sezer even if it set us back 200k.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

There's been whispers since Origin and then they wonder why he didn't perform at the backend of the season. Knowing his defensive issues I'd still take a punt on him.

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

It's an easy decision, the Raiders should be looking into Maloney but we all know they won't.
WorkChoice
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Taane Milne is apparently being shopped around in the UK. Surely we'd consider offering him a contract? Would be a perfect depth option.

https://coupler-foxsports-com-au.cdn.am ... 20%251%24s
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

with Hurrell off to Leeds I could make case for BJ to titans Maloney to raiders.

Edrick The Entertainer
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

bonehead wrote: October 18, 2018, 5:50 pm with Hurrell off to Leeds I could make case for BJ to titans Maloney to raiders.

Is that just your opinion or is it
a whisper you have heard?
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders have already ruled out Leilua to the Titans. Can’t see it happening.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

greeneyed wrote: October 18, 2018, 6:17 pm Raiders have already ruled out Leilua to the Titans. Can’t see it happening.
In the words of the late great Rex Mossop 'deja vu all over again.'
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

chris83 wrote:
bonehead wrote: October 18, 2018, 5:50 pm with Hurrell off to Leeds I could make case for BJ to titans Maloney to raiders.

Is that just your opinion or is it
a whisper you have heard?
personal opinion only.

Edrick The Entertainer
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

****. Letting go bj, the current centre of the year and best mate to the best winger in the game is not the answer.