Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: December 4, 2018, 11:00 am You have to ask yourself one simple question.

Is he an upgrade on what we have ?

We have Sam Williams. I like Sam, I really do. But there's a 1000 halfbacks out there who are better.

Niko is one of them.

I done with our think tank sitting on their hands and picking up dregs..

Let's get active, identify where we are lacking and bring someone in.

How much longer do we need to sit through this ?
I agree PJ, and given that this week Johnson, Munster and Brooks have all gone off the market for 2020, it doesn’t look likely that we would even be in with a shout if securing anyone good next year, given both Brisbane and the Roosters are likely to be shopping.

Now spin those questions above that you asked about Niko - and put Moses/Norman in the picture. As much as it hurts, the answers come out the same.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

SeeBee101 wrote: December 4, 2018, 10:29 am I think Niko would be a pretty good pickup. Statistics don't look too bad for last season:

Tries: 10
T/A: 13
LB: 12
TB: 46

How is his defence? He was also one of NZ's best during the recent tests...
Ranks equal 10th for halves for missed tackles (2.7 per match). Maloney misses six.

Ranks equal 13th for halves for tackle efficiency (80 per cent). Maloney 63 per cent. Same as Sam Williams, better than Austin, slightly below Sezer.

0.5 try causes per match, same as Sezer. Sam Williams has 0.8 per match, Austin almost one per match.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... isAvg=true
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The thing is.

Most of us on this forum basically agree our halves need punting.

I'm praying the people running our club are thinking the same because if they're not we are in for more torture..

I watched the 94GF again yesterday...

It's what we're taking to our graves...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It makes me wonder how poorly they've managed our cap.

Halves are usually the highest paid. There's no way Sezer and Sam are our highest paid players.

Sure, Hodgo would be one, and we safely assume Wighton is on good coin, where's the rest?

Sia?
Tapine?
Papalii?
Smelly?

PJ, you mentioned the 94 side. There's no way any of those forwards bar Brad Clyde, Walters were paid more than Mal, Stick, Daley, Mullins

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

greeneyed wrote: December 4, 2018, 11:09 am
SeeBee101 wrote: December 4, 2018, 10:29 am I think Niko would be a pretty good pickup. Statistics don't look too bad for last season:

Ranks equal 10th for halves for missed tackles (2.7 per match). Maloney misses six.

Ranks equal 13th for halves for tackle efficiency (80 per cent). Maloney 63 per cent. Same as Sam Williams, better than Austin, slightly below Sezer.

0.5 try causes per match, same as Sezer. Sam Williams has 0.8 per match, Austin almost one per match.

Looks like he has pretty good defence! Sign him up ricky. He will bring some spark to the halves and most importantly will replace Williams. Rumours of him only being on 350-400k would mean we probably would have to pay 500k+ but that isn't bad if he kicks on.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: December 4, 2018, 11:22 am It makes me wonder how poorly they've managed our cap.

Halves are usually the highest paid. There's no way Sezer and Sam are our highest paid players.

Sure, Hodgo would be one, and we safely assume Wighton is on good coin, where's the rest?

Sia?
Tapine?
Papalii?
Smelly?

PJ, you mentioned the 94 side. There's no way any of those forwards bar Brad Clyde, Walters were paid more than Mal, Stick, Daley, Mullins

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Tapine, Papalii, Whitey, Rapana, Hodgo are all top tier test players and should be payed accordingly.

We also have BJL, Havili, Hingano who regularly represented their country's of birth.

And I hope Cotrics contract is handsome as well. It's takes $$$ to keep all these blokes happy.

I've prepared myself for a fighting 2019 with flashes or brilliance.

But if we see no turnover this time next year reference our spine I'll flip...

After 2016 a couple of our players won lotto with their contract extension imo.

Wighton, Croker and BJ !!!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If we are paying Havilli, BJ or Hingano anything extra for playing rep we are insane. They make those sides be default.

Definitely agree we dropped way too much on that trio. Currently I'd say only Whitehead, Hodgo, Papalii, Rapana, Cotric and a few of the cheaper blokes deliver in line with their pay packets.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

edwahu wrote: December 4, 2018, 11:39 am If we are paying Havilli, BJ or Hingano anything extra for playing rep we are insane. They make those sides be default.
I don't know what those 3 are being payed ed.

But Wighton and Croker are being payed plenty and they have a Country Origin jersey..

Is all I'm saying.

This conversation belongs in that other thread about our cap.

We are in trouble for at least another 12months.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

edwahu wrote: December 4, 2018, 11:39 am If we are paying Havilli, BJ or Hingano anything extra for playing rep we are insane. They make those sides be default.

Definitely agree we dropped way too much on that trio. Currently I'd say only Whitehead, Hodgo, Papalii, Rapana, Cotric and a few of the cheaper blokes deliver in line with their pay packets.
If payment was performance based most of our squad would be on handouts.. :)

I gotta go to work..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

SeeBee101 wrote: December 4, 2018, 11:27 am
greeneyed wrote: December 4, 2018, 11:09 am

Looks like he has pretty good defence! Sign him up ricky. He will bring some spark to the halves and most importantly will replace Williams. Rumours of him only being on 350-400k would mean we probably would have to pay 500k+ but that isn't bad if he kicks on.
Not if you’re comparing him to the benchmark defensive halves.

Adam Douehi missed 0.6 tackles per match, Cooper Cronk 1.3, Nathan Cleary 1.5, Adam Reynolds 1.5.

Douehi had 88 per cent tackle efficiency, Cleary 87, Reynolds 86.

Douehi the benchmark fortry causes at 0.2 per match, Reynolds, Cronk 0.3.

By the way, Riley Jacks was right up there with the best defensive halves.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Niko is a terrible defender. Don't' worry about the stats, he was Broncos version of Austin. Caused those around him to cover for his poor defence.

He's a better player than Williams overall, but I wouldn't be shelling out the money for him. Spend it elsewhere.
Much better option to get a reasonable fullback and put Wighton to 6
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

Wow this is depressing reading this year, watching the merry-go-round of halves changing hands (probably not finished yet either) while we languish hoping for scraps is a massive ball-ache!

Hope I'm just going off half-cocked and there is a quality half signing announced soon, but I just don't see it at the moment.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

With the way we recruit, we will probably be left with Jeff Robson (if he is still going around)
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

SeeBee101 wrote:With the way we recruit, we will probably be left with Jeff Robson (if he is still going around)
Ha! My thought was Ben Roberts, but Robson’s more likely
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Kyle Flanagan has reportedly re-signed with Cronulla.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: December 4, 2018, 3:25 pm Kyle Flanagan has reportedly re-signed with Cronulla.

Who'd have guessed!
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:
Dusty wrote: December 4, 2018, 3:25 pm Kyle Flanagan has reportedly re-signed with Cronulla.

Who'd have guessed!
Could spell the end for Chad Townsend soon. I wonder how long he has left on his contract?

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Chad Townsend is no upgrade on either of our current halves.

We need to buy a top line half, or hope that we can bring one through. I don't see Hingano or Roache being first grade halves... maybe O'Hagan and Westcott could come through...
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Yes he is. An upgrade that is. He aint no Thurston or Cronk. But he had a solid season last year. He is an upgrade on our halves for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:Chad Townsend is no upgrade on either of our current halves.

We need to buy a top line half, or hope that we can bring one through. I don't see Hingano or Roache being first grade halves... maybe O'Hagan and Westcott could come through...
I wasn’t suggesting we chase him, although I do think he is a slight upgrade.

Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

roneel78 wrote:Yes he is. An upgrade that is. He aint no Thurston or Cronk. But he had a solid season last year. He is an upgrade on our halves for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, he has improved out of sight and iced a few games with field goals last year and fairly consistent in getting repeat sets.

He is no superstar but it’s clear to see we aren’t signing any top shelf players anytime soon.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Not sure why this is difficult. Is sezer a 7 or a 6. If he is our 7 than we need to decide if we want experience or youth at 6. If youth than make a bid for a kid who looks good and isn’t playing I.e. drnkwater from Melbourne. If experience than go to England and get a 6 or make a bid for a player who isn’t playing in oz.

The only question we should have is whether who we have now can win a premiership or not. I would say Williams can’t so as a back up he is fine but we need a 6. We can’t defend so we need a strong defender at 6 who can kick a ball because Sezer can’t be our lone kicker, he’s not good enough for that.

At the end of the day take a punt and let’s move forward. If the player turns out to be average next season so be it, ship him off and let’s find someone else but let’s not waste our time waiting for a gem player that might not arrive knowing our half can’t do the job.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Drinkwater has just been re-signed by the Storm.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Robert Jennings apparently could be squeezed out of the bunnies. Thoughts on him as a replacement for rapa?

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50k78.html
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

FROG wrote: December 4, 2018, 5:57 pm Robert Jennings apparently could be squeezed out of the bunnies. Thoughts on him as a replacement for rapa?

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50k78.html
I like him as a player.
However, he has proved to be the next best of the Jennings clan. As such, he will likely want a 1st grade spot
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-PJ- wrote: December 4, 2018, 11:00 am You have to ask yourself one simple question.

Is he an upgrade on what we have ?

We have Sam Williams. I like Sam, I really do. But there's a 1000 halfbacks out there who are better.

Niko is one of them.

I done with our think tank sitting on their hands and picking up dregs..

Let's get active, identify where we are lacking and bring someone in.

How much longer do we need to sit through this ?
It’s not as simple as that. If you pay overs for a guy like Nikorima good luck with the rest of your squad under a cap.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Wighton remains my first choice to partner Sezer but we're going to need to recruit another outside back for that to be an option.

As for Nikorima. I would prefer him over Norman or Moses but he's not a number one half IMO.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Wighton remains my first choice to partner Sezer but we're going to need to recruit another outside back for that to be an option.

As for Nikorima. I would prefer him over Norman or Moses but he's not a number one half IMO.
Options: A Johnston, G Jennings , ????

1. Johnston
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield / Rapana
6. Wighton

Or

1. Cotric
2. Jennings
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield/ Rapana
6. Wighton

??

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Green eyed Mick wrote: December 4, 2018, 6:55 pm Wighton remains my first choice to partner Sezer but we're going to need to recruit another outside back for that to be an option.

Honestly if we don’t end up with any more first graders I’d run with Whitehead at five-eighth.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Wighton remains my first choice to partner Sezer but we're going to need to recruit another outside back for that to be an option.

I honestly think it has to be him.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I don't like it at all.
Mostly because i'd rather him not be on the team but if he's going to be on the team i think he suits this team as a fullback... but i cant sign off on anything that includes Sam Williams being a first choice half. I can't.

If my options are Sam Williams and more of what we've got the last few years with a half who simply can not stand up, or moving Wighton and trying someone else at fullback... well i dont like either of them, but i know that one cant and wont work. Might as well try the other
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's probably the best option for the team, but let's see if Coach realises it before Rd 15?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

julian87 wrote: December 4, 2018, 7:21 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote: December 4, 2018, 6:55 pm Wighton remains my first choice to partner Sezer but we're going to need to recruit another outside back for that to be an option.

Honestly if we don’t end up with any more first graders I’d run with Whitehead at five-eighth.
Not a horrible idea at all. I think it is almost certainly either Wighton or Whitehead at 6 next year. Possibly will see both tried.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:I don't like it at all.
Mostly because i'd rather him not be on the team but if he's going to be on the team i think he suits this team as a fullback... but i cant sign off on anything that includes Sam Williams being a first choice half. I can't.

If my options are Sam Williams and more of what we've got the last few years with a half who simply can not stand up, or moving Wighton and trying someone else at fullback... well i dont like either of them, but i know that one cant and wont work. Might as well try the other
At least he can tackle and run fast in straight lines.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I guess what it comes down to is whether letting Boyd, Paulo and Austin leave was a tactical move by coach to improve our defence or whether he really wanted to keep them but salary cap issues prevented it. If it's the former it makes better sense to strengthen our defence by shifting Wighton to the front. It really is worth it - maybe after years of Red Raider banging on about our defence something is being done about it.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017