Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by greeneyed »

Sporting News really just makes most of those stories up though.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He shopped himself to the Knights last year because he wants to play center, Sporting News probably just picked up the story very late.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Rick wrote:Is that not against the rules?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
If the NRL has taught me anything it's they only have very loosely followed guidelines, depending on the team.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

We should sign Cameron Smith to play 7 for a couple of seasons then he can be the coach when he’s done

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

And then Smith should coach from the sidelines so he still have lengthy discussions with the referees
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

From what we saw in the 2018 GF we really should be throwing coin at Cooper Cronk to be our Alfie Langer style water boy in 2020
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

They can have him. No freight. You take on the WHOLE deal
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

edwahu wrote: November 30, 2018, 4:09 pm He shopped himself to the Knights last year because he wants to play center, Sporting News probably just picked up the story very late.
Where’d you hear that, Ed? I haven’t heard that before.

Not saying I don’t believe you but centres leave to play fullback not the other way around.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There was a press report to that effect. The idea being that he could be an Origin player at centre... rather than the more pressured spine spot.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

d-train wrote: November 30, 2018, 11:49 am Lets face it. As long as Ricky is here, we won't be signing any title contending halves. He just doesn't want a 6 or 7 that will come into the club and better than he was. We'll settle for someone like Trent Hodkinson although id be happy to take Lachlan Croker back. Both players will be competing for the #6 jersey for next season along with Kane Elgey. Still have Ata Hingano in the squad but its just a matter of him finding some good form like he was when he came through the ranks at the warriors. I don't think he'll find that form while playing in he middle. He needs to go back to wearing the 7.

While we're a bit short on the front row stocks, we should be throwing some money at
- Tom Burgess 1 season : Only 1 season so Emre Guler and Liam Knight can get used to playing first grade footy consistently. Would fit in well as we quite a few English lads here already.
- Joe Ofahengaue Long Term : Good player that brings lots of energy. Can fill in anywhere in the forward pack and would take him over Dunamis Lui any day of the week.
- Tino Fa'asuamaleaui Long Term : Melbourne Storm young gun. Big lad at 197 cm and around 105-110kg. Can play anywhere in the forward pack. Theres some big wraps on him.
- Ava Seumanufagai ? : Big lad who posses a strong carry. Can play some decent minutes as he averaged around 26 minutes per game in his 14 appearances last season. Would take him as an impact forward off the bench.
Tino Fa'asuamaleaui is the type of young forward we should be looking to sign. If we can't sign established players without paying big overs we need to sign these young guns before they make a name for themselves. Also if the Sharks sign Johnson I'd like to see us make a play for Kyle Flanagan.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Joe O isn’t moving away from the Broncos without receiving a significant payday.

You could pry Tino F away from the storm because they are a professionally run club who won’t get into a bidding war over a kid who hasn’t even made debut.
If he was to leave it wouldn’t be on minimum wage because he can stay at a better club for that.

So again we are in a situation where we are playing overs for a player who may not be better then Guler who is a couple of years further along in his development.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Sid wrote: November 30, 2018, 5:17 pm From what we saw in the 2018 GF we really should be throwing coin at Cooper Cronk to be our Alfie Langer style water boy in 2020
Cronk could probably secure a head coaching gig immediately upon retiring. He isn't going to be a low order assistant like Langer, especially not at the Raiders.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Green eyed Mick wrote: December 1, 2018, 11:40 am
Sid wrote: November 30, 2018, 5:17 pm From what we saw in the 2018 GF we really should be throwing coin at Cooper Cronk to be our Alfie Langer style water boy in 2020
Cronk could probably secure a head coaching gig immediately upon retiring. He isn't going to be a low order assistant like Langer, especially not at the Raiders.
I don't think Tara would allow him to move to Canberra.
WorkChoice
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

RTW wrote: December 1, 2018, 9:44 am Joe O isn’t moving away from the Broncos without receiving a significant payday.

You could pry Tino F away from the storm because they are a professionally run club who won’t get into a bidding war over a kid who hasn’t even made debut.
If he was to leave it wouldn’t be on minimum wage because he can stay at a better club for that.

So again we are in a situation where we are playing overs for a player who may not be better then Guler who is a couple of years further along in his development.

Those speculative signings on the real gun juniors have a pretty good return, including for us. Tapine is in that category, TLL was also great for us.

At the moment no first grader will come so we need to keep looking at alternatives, given Don isn't going anywhere.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Liam Knight was offered to South's last week.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... cd8bfc819d
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Trying to free up some cap space? Wonder how much he’s on...

'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Does Bennett being sacked make TPJ an option again?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Wiki Special wrote: December 2, 2018, 4:12 pm Does Bennett being sacked make TPJ an option again?
Don't think so, he was expected to go to Souths anyway.

Still an option for 2020 if we could find the cash, but he is probably above our level of recruits already.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

There was an interview or comment from him a few weeks ago saying he would finalise his contract within the next week but then the Bennett/Siebold saga erupted and nothing has been said since.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by LastRaider »

Does anyone think now with Wayne gone in Brisbane that Anthony Milford could become a half option for us to lure?

I’m hearing that some of the players contracts have a Wayne Bennett exit clause which gives them opportunity to break contract. Not sure if Milford would have that clause though

Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

LastRaider wrote: December 3, 2018, 10:17 am Does anyone think now with Wayne gone in Brisbane that Anthony Milford could become a half option for us to lure?

I’m hearing that some of the players contracts have a Wayne Bennett exit clause which gives them opportunity to break contract. Not sure if Milford would have that clause though

I don't... I think it would be more likely that he would stay in QLD and our options would be whoever he replaced at titans or cowboys. Someone like Roberts or Martin.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Wiki Special wrote: December 2, 2018, 4:12 pm Does Bennett being sacked make TPJ an option again?
Anyone with a get out clause is potentially an option, at both the Rabbits and the Broncos.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Anyone with a get out clause is potentially an option, at both the Rabbits and the Broncos.
I'm not sure that TPJ needs a get out clause? He isn't currently under contract is he?

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

gergreg wrote: December 3, 2018, 4:03 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:
I'm not sure that TPJ needs a get out clause? He isn't currently under contract is he?

I thought he was under contract for 2019. Off contract 2020. I don't know though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No, TPJ is currently off contract. No club contract for 2019. He keeps saying he'll sign with the Broncos, but he hasn't.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Cranky Old Man wrote:
d-train wrote: November 30, 2018, 11:49 am Lets face it. As long as Ricky is here, we won't be signing any title contending halves. He just doesn't want a 6 or 7 that will come into the club and better than he was. We'll settle for someone like Trent Hodkinson although id be happy to take Lachlan Croker back. Both players will be competing for the #6 jersey for next season along with Kane Elgey. Still have Ata Hingano in the squad but its just a matter of him finding some good form like he was when he came through the ranks at the warriors. I don't think he'll find that form while playing in he middle. He needs to go back to wearing the 7.

While we're a bit short on the front row stocks, we should be throwing some money at
- Tom Burgess 1 season : Only 1 season so Emre Guler and Liam Knight can get used to playing first grade footy consistently. Would fit in well as we quite a few English lads here already.
- Joe Ofahengaue Long Term : Good player that brings lots of energy. Can fill in anywhere in the forward pack and would take him over Dunamis Lui any day of the week.
- Tino Fa'asuamaleaui Long Term : Melbourne Storm young gun. Big lad at 197 cm and around 105-110kg. Can play anywhere in the forward pack. Theres some big wraps on him.
- Ava Seumanufagai ? : Big lad who posses a strong carry. Can play some decent minutes as he averaged around 26 minutes per game in his 14 appearances last season. Would take him as an impact forward off the bench.
Your first two sentences indicate that your views are moronic! I didn't read the rest in case they were stupid as well.
Ibid

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: December 3, 2018, 5:08 pm No, TPJ is currently off contract. No club contract for 2019. He keeps saying he'll sign with the Broncos, but he hasn't.
Thanks.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Nikorima apparently being shopped by the broncos, apparently only on 350-400K or so, I reckon he'll end up at the Warriors (despite there denials) but if he doesn't then he'd be worth a go, he's not a marquee player but imo he's progressing and improving as a player, be good value if we could get him for 5-600k
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: December 4, 2018, 7:28 am Nikorima apparently being shopped by the broncos, apparently only on 350-400K or so, I reckon he'll end up at the Warriors (despite there denials) but if he doesn't then he'd be worth a go, he's not a marquee player but imo he's progressing and improving as a player, be good value if we could get him for 5-600k
I agree Kiwi, he would add to the squad, and likely the best we can hope for.

It would be right up Ricky's alley as well - someone has already tried to turn him into a hooker:)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He’ll go to NZ. And I’m not convinced by him being worth much money as of yet.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Would cost us close to a million anyway.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

julian87 wrote: December 4, 2018, 7:34 am He’ll go to NZ. And I’m not convinced by him being worth much money as of yet.
Yea he's a work in progress but he looked really good against England, his combination with Milford has never worked but i'm not convinced they are an ideal halves pairing.
Agree he'll likely end up at the Warriors, I don't think it was a coincidence Johnson was rumored to be unwanted at about the same time Siebold was confirmed Broncos coach, they pushed Johnson out the door imo as they knew the could likely get Nikorima and strengthen another position(probably prop) for the same price as they were Paying Johnson.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ill be honest. Ive never been a fan of Niko. Im certainly not convinced he is a 'needle mover' either. However, his individual brilliance and speed, surely makes him better that 1 of our 2.

Which circles me back to the Para pair. Again, they are more talented than our 2. I believe Norman has already confirmed he plans on fighting for his spot at Para, but that Moses might still be on the shopping list. They have similar issues to our 2, but who knows? A few more good plays over avg ones might be enough to counter the game management uselessness, and defensive frailties? Eg, a few more repeat sets rather than a dodgy kick. A kick that actually finds grass, rather than the FB. Might be enough to shave a try here or there?!?
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

I think Niko would be a pretty good pickup. Statistics don't look too bad for last season:

Tries: 10
T/A: 13
LB: 12
TB: 46

How is his defence? He was also one of NZ's best during the recent tests...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You have to ask yourself one simple question.

Is he an upgrade on what we have ?

We have Sam Williams. I like Sam, I really do. But there's a 1000 halfbacks out there who are better.

Niko is one of them.

I done with our think tank sitting on their hands and picking up dregs..

Let's get active, identify where we are lacking and bring someone in.

How much longer do we need to sit through this ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: