Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by dubby »

Flanagan is a dodgy sort of coach. His reign at Cronulla has been subject to some very suspicious activity.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Cut the Sharks from the comp. already, they're a blight on the game.
NRL would be better much served with either another Brisbane team or a Perth team.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

dubby wrote: November 28, 2018, 1:08 pm Flanagan is a dodgy sort of coach. His reign at Cronulla has been subject to some very suspicious activity.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I'd take a dodgy coach who delivers a premiership any day then what we've had the last 20 odd years.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'd rather have my integrity thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

dubby wrote: November 28, 2018, 6:24 pm I'd rather have my integrity thanks.

Integrity + NRL = 0 premierships
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BigPapa wrote:

I'm really struggling to remember the last premiers who didn't have some sort of asterisks against them.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: November 28, 2018, 9:22 pm
BigPapa wrote:

I'm really struggling to remember the last premiers who didn't have some sort of asterisks against them.

The last ones?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:
gergreg wrote: November 28, 2018, 9:22 pm
BigPapa wrote:

The last ones?
As in the premiers in the last few years. Actually, maybe Cowboys?

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

So... is SJ officially a Shark yet? I haven’t seen anything to say he is other than rumour posts.

I think I should still hold out hope...

If we don’t land SJ and the Sharks do does Chad Townsend and/or Kyle Flanagan become available or a target for us?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Post by MS_1302 »

Johnson will be a shark then a Rooster from 2020
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Dusty wrote: November 29, 2018, 5:59 am So... is SJ officially a Shark yet? I haven’t seen anything to say he is other than rumour posts.

I think I should still hold out hope...

If we don’t land SJ and the Sharks do does Chad Townsend and/or Kyle Flanagan become available or a target for us?

Haha. If we wind up with Townsend I'll give it away. We'd then have 4 halves that all have massive flaws and can't be relied upon to perform week in and week out.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Useless fact - Chad Townsend has apparently won premierships in every grade he has contested.

I remembered that fact back when he made his debut, there was an article asking whether his streak would continue in 1st Grade. I don’t know how many others can hold that claim

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 29, 2018, 8:20 am Useless fact - Chad Townsend has apparently won premierships in every grade he has contested.

I remembered that fact back when he made his debut, there was an article asking whether his streak would continue in 1st Grade. I don’t know how many others can hold that claim

So, Maloney and Chad are the bringers of premierships?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

If we could cut Williams or Sezer for Chad I would be for it. He is a minor upgrade on those two.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

It would be a great example of where we sit as a club in the pecking order of life if an Elite half comes on the market, and in the musical chairs game of recruitment we end up with Chad Townsend.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 29, 2018, 9:38 am If we could cut Williams or Sezer for Chad I would be for it. He is a minor upgrade on those two.
Chad Townsend isnt a better or more talented player than either of our guys. He's just in a better team with a better coach.
i doubt under this coach Townsend would move the needle at all for us. Although he's a significantly better defender, so there is that.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He does have amazing hair. It's exceptional.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

gergreg wrote:He does have amazing hair. It's exceptional.

I agree, he makes Fuis match ups. Similar vein as Rick Kelly
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
gergreg wrote:He does have amazing hair. It's exceptional.

I agree, he makes Fuis match ups. Similar vein as Rick Kelly
Add Fabian Coultard tonthat list.

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Pigman wrote: November 29, 2018, 11:05 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 29, 2018, 9:38 am If we could cut Williams or Sezer for Chad I would be for it. He is a minor upgrade on those two.
Chad Townsend isnt a better or more talented player than either of our guys. He's just in a better team with a better coach.
i doubt under this coach Townsend would move the needle at all for us. Although he's a significantly better defender, so there is that.
I'd take him over Williams as you can plan around his defence.

Sezer is interesting. I'd have Townsend over him, but half of the problem with Sezer is that he is asked to do way too much at the Raiders that is beyond his skill set. It is like he is asked to be the Stuart/Johns/Thurston that completely controls our team, playing this way exposes his flaws more than if he took a step back.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 29, 2018, 12:46 pm
Pigman wrote: November 29, 2018, 11:05 am
I'd take him over Williams as you can plan around his defence.

Sezer is interesting. I'd have Townsend over him, but half of the problem with Sezer is that he is asked to do way too much at the Raiders that is beyond his skill set. It is like he is asked to be the Stuart/Johns/Thurston that completely controls our team, playing this way exposes his flaws more than if he took a step back.
I think i would too for Williams, like ive said before, we can score points and we dont need our halves to do it. We need defence.

Re: Sezer, that's the exact role he played at the Titans, and i'd have more to say but there is no point relitigating it. He is a totally different player at the Raiders than he was at the Titans, and this version of him stinks. I dont know how to explain it except it fits entirely with Stuart's history coaching halves.

I dont believe Chad Townsend could thrive in this team, and whilst we'd be better defensively with Townsend over Williams, I'm not sure once you get him here and you're getting the R.Stuart version of Chad Townsend, it's a needle mover.

The only way i see success under this coach as far as halves go, is IMO, we basically need to overpay a proven, established elite half, for arguments sake, say James Maloney, and accept that the Stuart factor will bring their level of play down to an above average half. Basically we have to pay ABOVE market for James Maloney, knowing we're really getting Ben Hunt.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

One of the things I've noticed in Sezer's game that has changed between when he was at the Titans to when he moved to the Raiders is that he doesn't seem to be able to kick it as far? The times I watched him play at the Titans he was often clearing the fullbacks head with his long range kicks which would be a horror for the fullbacks positioning.

Maybe I just happened to watch Sezer's Titans games on windy days
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Sid wrote: November 29, 2018, 2:13 pm One of the things I've noticed in Sezer's game that has changed between when he was at the Titans to when he moved to the Raiders is that he doesn't seem to be able to kick it as far? The times I watched him play at the Titans he was often clearing the fullbacks head with his long range kicks which would be a horror for the fullbacks positioning.

Maybe I just happened to watch Sezer's Titans games on windy days
I'm probably wrong but maybe it is tactical and an attempt to minimise the 7 tackle set. Considering the size of our pack over the years he has probably been instructed to be conservative with the long kick to reduce 7 tackle sets and this also ties in with the early set kicks.

Don't think it is working for us though.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

On Sezer's kicking;
I'm not sure it is all tactical. Remember once or twice last year he took an intercept, went about 10 meters and then slowed like he's been shot. I don't think he was buggered after 10m, but I think he felt he was one long stride away from a torn hammy/groin.

It reminded me a lot of how Ricky used to look when he had multiple soft tissue niggles and was smart enough to get through the hole, but then couldn't go anywhere.

I think Sezer has been nursing his legs along for large parts of a season and can't quite kick with a full clean swing, just a shorter stab at the ball.
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

Who needs Shaun Johnson when we have integrity. :woot:
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

BigPapa wrote: November 29, 2018, 5:10 pm

Who needs Shaun Johnson when we have integrity. :woot:
I’ll take integrity every time thanks
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: November 29, 2018, 3:46 pm Remember once or twice last year he took an intercept, went about 10 meters and then slowed like he's been shot. I don't think he was buggered after 10m, but I think he felt he was one long stride away from a torn hammy/groin.

It reminded me a lot of how Ricky used to look when he had multiple soft tissue niggles and was smart enough to get through the hole, but then couldn't go anywhere.
The one your thinking of i am almost certain Sezer was playing at 60% at best with a hamstring injury. I think he came into the game in huge doubt. I mean he's not a speedster by any measure but it was clear in that game that he was not close to fully healthy
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 29, 2018, 6:10 pm
BadnMean wrote: November 29, 2018, 3:46 pm Remember once or twice last year he took an intercept, went about 10 meters and then slowed like he's been shot. I don't think he was buggered after 10m, but I think he felt he was one long stride away from a torn hammy/groin.

The one your thinking of i am almost certain Sezer was playing at 60% at best with a hamstring injury. I think he came into the game in huge doubt. I mean he's not a speedster by any measure but it was clear in that game that he was not close to fully healthy
We had to rush him back because 1 of the other 2 had gone down. So yes, he was under done
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: November 29, 2018, 8:43 pm
Pigman wrote: November 29, 2018, 6:10 pm

We had to rush him back because 1 of the other 2 had gone down. So yes, he was under done
Remember the good old days when we had a spare half!
d-train
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by d-train »

Lets face it. As long as Ricky is here, we won't be signing any title contending halves. He just doesn't want a 6 or 7 that will come into the club and better than he was. We'll settle for someone like Trent Hodkinson although id be happy to take Lachlan Croker back. Both players will be competing for the #6 jersey for next season along with Kane Elgey. Still have Ata Hingano in the squad but its just a matter of him finding some good form like he was when he came through the ranks at the warriors. I don't think he'll find that form while playing in he middle. He needs to go back to wearing the 7.

While we're a bit short on the front row stocks, we should be throwing some money at
- Tom Burgess 1 season : Only 1 season so Emre Guler and Liam Knight can get used to playing first grade footy consistently. Would fit in well as we quite a few English lads here already.
- Joe Ofahengaue Long Term : Good player that brings lots of energy. Can fill in anywhere in the forward pack and would take him over Dunamis Lui any day of the week.
- Tino Fa'asuamaleaui Long Term : Melbourne Storm young gun. Big lad at 197 cm and around 105-110kg. Can play anywhere in the forward pack. Theres some big wraps on him.
- Ava Seumanufagai ? : Big lad who posses a strong carry. Can play some decent minutes as he averaged around 26 minutes per game in his 14 appearances last season. Would take him as an impact forward off the bench.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

d-train wrote: November 30, 2018, 11:49 am Lets face it. As long as Ricky is here, we won't be signing any title contending halves. He just doesn't want a 6 or 7 that will come into the club and better than he was. We'll settle for someone like Trent Hodkinson although id be happy to take Lachlan Croker back. Both players will be competing for the #6 jersey for next season along with Kane Elgey. Still have Ata Hingano in the squad but its just a matter of him finding some good form like he was when he came through the ranks at the warriors. I don't think he'll find that form while playing in he middle. He needs to go back to wearing the 7.

While we're a bit short on the front row stocks, we should be throwing some money at
- Tom Burgess 1 season : Only 1 season so Emre Guler and Liam Knight can get used to playing first grade footy consistently. Would fit in well as we quite a few English lads here already.
- Joe Ofahengaue Long Term : Good player that brings lots of energy. Can fill in anywhere in the forward pack and would take him over Dunamis Lui any day of the week.
- Tino Fa'asuamaleaui Long Term : Melbourne Storm young gun. Big lad at 197 cm and around 105-110kg. Can play anywhere in the forward pack. Theres some big wraps on him.
- Ava Seumanufagai ? : Big lad who posses a strong carry. Can play some decent minutes as he averaged around 26 minutes per game in his 14 appearances last season. Would take him as an impact forward off the bench.
Your first two sentences indicate that your views are moronic! I didn't read the rest in case they were stupid as well.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I’d chase the Saifiti twins from the Knights.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Joe O would be a good signing, probably cost us 800k though.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Knights want Wighton and so his manager has informed the Raiders.
The hide of them

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... ahgrtu1fp5
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Is that not against the rules?