All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: November 21, 2018, 5:26 pm
Woodgers wrote:I read last night that Gallen and the other players have publicly said they're filthy at him and then Cronulla went for the immediate release, i'd be surprised if Holmes ever went back there.

As an aside, Gallen is a crack up. His rationale for being filthy is that Holmes is being selfish and left Cronulla in a hole for the 2019 season. Top call on that buddy, you just go off and have a few boxing matches in the offseason to line your pockets and hope you don't get a season ending injury that would be detrimental to the 2019 Cronulla season Image

Disclaimer: Gallen injured for 2019 unlikely to be detrimental to Cronulla's season.
You're comparing the club captain, who despite the ramblings of some on this site has been a pretty good clubman, to a bloke who has walked out on his club at the start of preseason? C'mon you're reaching a little.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
How about this?
Gallen is pissing and moaning about the integrity of the league when he's a systematic doper who was never punished accordingly and has a long illustrious history of incidents that lack integrity. He can STFU about integrity. He has none, he's speaking from a position of zero experience or knowledge.

As for what Holmes is doing, leaving a contract early? This is the business now. Let's not forget the Sharks played a major role in enticing Seg to break his contract early only 12 months ago in hopes he could help them make a title run?
Where was Gal's claims of integrity then?
Let's not forget, as Woodgers states, PG puts his season on the line every off season to legally assault some human punching bag for extra cash and lets ALWAYS remember that Gallen looks after himself first and foremost AS EVERY ATHLETE should because these clubs dont really give a **** about the players.

Val could sign a long term deal today and if things panned out in such a way, the Sharks would have NO issues shopping him and his contract to other clubs if they felt it was best for their club. They do it all the time, clubs get out from under bad contracts as much as players do. The clubs have as much interest in adhering to contractual agreements as the players do. So why is the onus on the players to be so loyal and honest when the clubs never are?

I genuinely hate the way sports positions its fans to always blindly support the team over the players who act in the same manner.
**** the clubs. These players have 10 years of their athletic prime, before they disappear into obscurity and some **** job with broken bodies. Holmes doesn't owe the Sharks or Gallen a damn thing.
Holmes should do whatever he feels is best for him and no one else.

The only reason Gallen is upset is because he knows he cant have a fairytale ending, which he absolutely does not deserve.

Holmes will never make it in the NFL IMO, just as Hayne never did, not in any real sense. Hayne was a better athlete and was a total liability in the NFL and "retired" before he was cut and fuzz got him for a claim not too dissimilar to the one he's facing right now. But i got no qualms with a dude trying his hand at it.

Gal can honestly just sit in the corner, and cry into a pile of peptides
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There’s little doubt, Gallen is a disgrace to himself, his club and the code.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Seriously why the **** are y'all debating this **** in a thread titled raiders signing speculation....the sharks have nothing to do with it :/

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

VictorTheViking wrote: November 21, 2018, 7:55 pm Seriously why the **** are y'all debating this **** in a thread titled raiders signing speculation....the sharks have nothing to do with it :/

It's **** November, and it's a **** internet forum.
Honestly. :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think the reason it came up is that two potential Raiders targets (Johnson and Johnston) could now be Sharks targets.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

also it's a fluid conversation...

Guy: Hey did you hear about the raiders being close to getting Alex Johnston?
THAT Guy: Yeah i did, that'd be interesting.
Guy: The Holmes situation could change things though. Boy Gal wasnt happy about that.
THAT Guy: Woah, woah, woah! We're talking about the RAIDERS here, not the sharks. Back on topic thanks!

Dont be THAT guy.
THAT guy is a ****.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Pigman wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote: November 21, 2018, 7:55 pm Seriously why the **** are y'all debating this **** in a thread titled raiders signing speculation....the sharks have nothing to do with it :/

It's **** November, and it's a **** internet forum.
Honestly. Image
What's your point??? Read the title of the thread.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote:
gergreg wrote: November 21, 2018, 5:26 pm
Woodgers wrote:I read last night that Gallen and the other players have publicly said they're filthy at him and then Cronulla went for the immediate release, i'd be surprised if Holmes ever went back there.

As an aside, Gallen is a crack up. His rationale for being filthy is that Holmes is being selfish and left Cronulla in a hole for the 2019 season. Top call on that buddy, you just go off and have a few boxing matches in the offseason to line your pockets and hope you don't get a season ending injury that would be detrimental to the 2019 Cronulla season Image

Disclaimer: Gallen injured for 2019 unlikely to be detrimental to Cronulla's season.
You're comparing the club captain, who despite the ramblings of some on this site has been a pretty good clubman, to a bloke who has walked out on his club at the start of preseason? C'mon you're reaching a little.

How about this?
Gallen is pissing and moaning about the integrity of the league when he's a systematic doper who was never punished accordingly and has a long illustrious history of incidents that lack integrity. He can STFU about integrity. He has none, he's speaking from a position of zero experience or knowledge.

As for what Holmes is doing, leaving a contract early? This is the business now. Let's not forget the Sharks played a major role in enticing Seg to break his contract early only 12 months ago in hopes he could help them make a title run?
Where was Gal's claims of integrity then?
Let's not forget, as Woodgers states, PG puts his season on the line every off season to legally assault some human punching bag for extra cash and lets ALWAYS remember that Gallen looks after himself first and foremost AS EVERY ATHLETE should because these clubs dont really give a **** about the players.

Val could sign a long term deal today and if things panned out in such a way, the Sharks would have NO issues shopping him and his contract to other clubs if they felt it was best for their club. They do it all the time, clubs get out from under bad contracts as much as players do. The clubs have as much interest in adhering to contractual agreements as the players do. So why is the onus on the players to be so loyal and honest when the clubs never are?

I genuinely hate the way sports positions its fans to always blindly support the team over the players who act in the same manner.
**** the clubs. These players have 10 years of their athletic prime, before they disappear into obscurity and some **** job with broken bodies. Holmes doesn't owe the Sharks or Gallen a damn thing.
Holmes should do whatever he feels is best for him and no one else.

The only reason Gallen is upset is because he knows he cant have a fairytale ending, which he absolutely does not deserve.

Holmes will never make it in the NFL IMO, just as Hayne never did, not in any real sense. Hayne was a better athlete and was a total liability in the NFL and "retired" before he was cut and fuzz got him for a claim not too dissimilar to the one he's facing right now. But i got no qualms with a dude trying his hand at it.

Gal can honestly just sit in the corner, and cry into a pile of peptides
All fair points.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Wonder what Gallen said when Hayne went over?

https://twitter.com/PaulGallen13/status ... 9aWp_3kNXA
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The guy is surely the biggest tool to pull on a football boot.

Can anyone name a bigger jerk than Gallen?

@AdrianVowles13 on Twitter

Interesting to read. Was Paul Gallen this outspoken when it came to players taking peptides? Shouldn’t they have been banned for life, because this was a far worse crime then gaining a release from a club to pursue an NFL career.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Stay on topic please.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: November 21, 2018, 9:18 pm The guy is surely the biggest tool to pull on a football boot.

Fifita and Dugan would be close. No wonder Holmes wants out of that place.

Going back further Julian O’Neill is the one that jumps into my head. He was a hall of fame jerk.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't agree that Holmes should be banned nor do I think it would be legal, but I also think the Sharks would've been perfectly entitled to expect him to see his contract out given the terms. Holmes and other players need to include exit clauses if they want to pursue these sort of deals, then he wouldn't need to force a release or breach his contract.

No doubt the clubs also a screw players over and the whole system could be a lot better, but it's a two way street.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Sharks didn't have to release him. There is a contract, and both parties have to agree that it be broken. I agree that Holmes shouldn't just be allowed to walk out. Players have responsibilities.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Clause stating; Player walks out= player pays out remainder value of his contract. That would sort it out. If legal.

Clubs pay out if they sack without cause. Player pays if he walks for selfish reasons.

They all want long term security then respect it when it is given.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Moves within the NRL could be covered from both sides by a trade system, there is basically an unnofficial one now. Moves to other codes just need to be stated as a option for the player up front, if they find they end up on lesser deals as a result that's the cost.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah, I think I agree Ed. If the club had proper transfer window and introduced transfer fees like they have in Soccer, I think I would be more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:There’s little doubt, Gallen is a disgrace to himself, his club and the code.
Can't argue with you. He's not alone, either.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't like Paul Gallen..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

RedRaider wrote: November 20, 2018, 1:06 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: November 19, 2018, 7:55 pm
JezTez1984 wrote: November 19, 2018, 12:12 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 19, 2018, 11:20 am All of them went on to win premierships with other clubs, I believe.
That doesnt actually say anything about the player or their personal skills or ability but anyway..
I agree with JezTez (also didn’t think the above comment warranted the backlash). Lots of successful players in your list, GE but don’t reckon many of them were the key factor in that success.

Just a quick comparison off the top of my head of guys other clubs have let go to us (included NRL options in brackets to pre-empt arguments against the Poms):

Luke Priddis v Josh Hodgson (Siliva Havili)
Luke Phillips v Jordan Rapana
Ben Kennedy v Joe Tapine
Brent Kite v Junior Paulo/Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Luke Williamson v Elliott Whitehead (Bronson Harrison)
Michael Monaghan v Aidan Sezer
Jamie Soward v Blake Austin
Michael Robertson v Blake Ferguson
Jarred Lawrence v say what?
Mark Bryant v David Shillington

We lose a few of those head-to-heads but overall I think we do pretty well there. In fact, I reckon we win.
As much as I would normally agree with you RD, I can't on this one.
Luke Priddis won Premierships with 2 other clubs after leaving the Raiders. He could play. Hodgo has tremendous skills but in his 4 years to date those skills have not led to a Premiership. (We kept Germ instead of Priddis when in terms of skill level there is no comparison.)
Ben Kennedy won a comp with the Knights and was a regular in the Kangaroos pack and NSW SOO. Tapine has potential and has played for NZ but his ill discipline means he misses matches for the Raiders.
Brent Kite played for Australia and you think Michelin Man Paulo and injury prone TLL were better??

When this was written were you on the JD's RD?
Nah, I didn’t mean those guys on the right were better individually. I was a big fan of Kite, Kennedy was the first Raider I remember thinking of as a traitor and everyone felt the same about Priddis v Woolford. I just meant the two lists were comparable.

I reckon Hodgo would have led both the Panthers and Broncos to premierships, and I don’t think we’d have been any better off with peak Priddis here over the last four years.

Reckon the same is true if you swapped Rapa, Fergo, Elliott and Shillo for their counterparts.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Are we signing Paul Gallen?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I wonder what Gal thinks of his team mate Dugan.

Funny how when Hayne went over it was spun to be great for rugby league.
WorkChoice
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

The gist of what Gallen said is correct. Valentine walked out on his teammates and effectively told the club he's leaving, he didn't negociate his release before saying he was gone. It was handled in a pretty arrogant way.

Also two things can be true; Paul Gallen's outspoken way in the media and willingness to say things that are true but controversial is refreshing and entertaining. Also Paul Gallen is a grub and will do anything to win, and he is selfish and only cares about his own success.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Also we should have signed Ben Barba when we had the chance, and put Wighton to 6.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Beejay wrote: November 22, 2018, 8:27 am The gist of what Gallen said is correct. Valentine walked out on his teammates and effectively told the club he's leaving, he didn't negociate his release before saying he was gone. It was handled in a pretty arrogant way.

Also two things can be true; Paul Gallen's outspoken way in the media and willingness to say things that are true but controversial is refreshing and entertaining. Also Paul Gallen is a grub and will do anything to win, and he is selfish and only cares about his own success.
Agreed mate.

Gal has every right to be POed about Val leaving. Nothing in it, except for it being Gal, who no one can stand.

Im also confident that Val will get a reality check when he gets over there.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Northern Raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: November 21, 2018, 9:18 pm The guy is surely the biggest tool to pull on a football boot.

Going back further Julian O’Neill is the one that jumps into my head. He was a hall of fame jerk.
Just ask the guy in the shark suit in Port Macquarie.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Haha wasn’t it a kid too?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

julian87 wrote:Haha wasn’t it a kid too?
Yes. Set him on fire and jumped off the boat to swim to shore
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

reptar wrote: November 22, 2018, 10:01 am
julian87 wrote:Haha wasn’t it a kid too?
Yes. Set him on fire and jumped off the boat to swim to shore
and hitchhiked back to Port Macquarie

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dad-sl ... di837.html
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s great that Gallen speaks his mind!

It’s just a pity he’s so small minded and pea brained.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

reptar wrote: November 22, 2018, 9:40 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Just ask the guy in the shark suit in Port Macquarie.
Not to mention what O'Neill left in 'Schlossys shoe' at a motel once.
He was an A grade grub of the lowest order. Qld representative I believe.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote: November 21, 2018, 7:51 pm There’s little doubt, Gallen is a disgrace to himself, his club and the code.
The Sharks were a disgrace before Gallen and will remain that way after he retires.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

But would you take their current coach Gem? I would.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd take their whole front and back office.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

the Gallen speculation thread
raider 4 life