Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by RedRaider »

We are thin in the outside backs imo. Rapa down and the Fb future to be known tomorrow. Makinson has shown good form at International level and if we can secure the funds to have him on our roster I would be all for it.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Extremely thin
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Oldfield is handy cover, we could also push Bateman to centre and croker to the Wing,
I'd expect us to sign a winger with the rep injury dispensation to cover Rapana's injury but with only 200k or so to work with and the fact that the replacement signing will likely be a mounties player for the rest of the season once Rapana comes back then we are unlikely to attract a top class player. It'll likely be someone of equal or lesser quality than Oldfield
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Kris has been elevated to the top squad, hasn't he?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Timbo wrote: November 13, 2018, 10:53 am Kris has been elevated to the top squad, hasn't he?
Yep. I don't think he is a first grade option though. I think Niko could also play firsts after June 30 under the new Development player rules.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Niko.......first grade????? Would have been first hooked in a few of the last years 20’s games! Put Roache or Kris out there before him! I cannot believe they have signed him as a dev player. Cant be off form! Timoko i also 3 times the player of Niko

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I am not saying he should play firsts, I've barely seen him play. He is eligible at least though. Anyone else we add as a development player will be as well.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Ronny P wrote: November 13, 2018, 2:52 pm Niko.......first grade????? Would have been first hooked in a few of the last years 20’s games! Put Roache or Kris out there before him! I cannot believe they have signed him as a dev player. Cant be off form! Timoko i also 3 times the player of Niko

Who is Niko? And why is he not worthy?
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

jacob Loko for Raps
Im just, bicking back being bool
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

BigPapa wrote: November 13, 2018, 5:31 pm
Ronny P wrote: November 13, 2018, 2:52 pm Niko.......first grade????? Would have been first hooked in a few of the last years 20’s games! Put Roache or Kris out there before him! I cannot believe they have signed him as a dev player. Cant be off form! Timoko i also 3 times the player of Niko

Who is Niko? And why is he not worthy?
I thought they were talking about Cotric until i heard some other joe blow was 3 times the player
Im just, bicking back being bool
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

edwahu wrote:I am not saying he should play firsts, I've barely seen him play. He is eligible at least though. Anyone else we add as a development player will be as well.
Fair enough. Understand. I am just surprised he has even been extended!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Andre Niko has lots of potential IMO... but only time will tell if he makes first grade. I don't think Paul Roache is suitable for the outside backs... too small... and certainly not anywhere near ready for first grade. Seb Kris is the most likely of the three... but he looks like a world beater some weeks and then lost when he steps up a grade.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Only seen Kris play a few times. Hopefully they all get time to mature in NSW cup

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

In all seriousnes why do we have players in the top 30 with no potential to reach first grade this year? If Kris/Roache etc are still a year or 2 away, give them a development contract. It seems mad to me we let someone like Mociedreke leave Mounties and signed other players to top 30 contracts that won’t see first grade - while we struggle for depth in the outside backs, halves and props.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Maybe I missed Moceidreke heading to the Sunshine Coast Falcons... but it appears to be the case.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Ravalawa left too didn't he?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders666 wrote: November 13, 2018, 7:43 pm Ravalawa left too didn't he?
Ravalawa to the Dragons... he was Raiders contracted. Moceidreke wasn't Raiders contracted, he was contracted to Mounties.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Realistically with the travel back and forth for Mounties and basically 0 % chance of first grade our spots 27-30 mustn't be the most appealing option for depth players.
Last edited by edwahu on November 13, 2018, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Coastalraider wrote:In all seriousnes why do we have players in the top 30 with no potential to reach first grade this year? If Kris/Roache etc are still a year or 2 away, give them a development contract. It seems mad to me we let someone like Mociedreke leave Mounties and signed other players to top 30 contracts that won’t see first grade - while we struggle for depth in the outside backs, halves and props.

Because unless you have a horrific injury run or a large contingent of rep players you will never use 30 players.

Also In order to have players on the top end of the salary cap you also need layers at the bottom end. Why waste the last remaining places paying above minimum wage for a journeyman when you can elevate a young kid into a full time position where they gain experience and exposure.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: November 13, 2018, 8:14 pm Realistically with the travel back and forth for Mounties and basically 0 % chance of first grade our spots 27-30 mustn't be the most appealing option for depth players.
Moceidreke wasn't one of our players, though, as I understand it. He was train and trial but didn't get contracted last year... at least he's never been announced as one of our players.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: November 13, 2018, 8:26 pm
edwahu wrote: November 13, 2018, 8:14 pm Realistically with the travel back and forth for Mounties and basically 0 % chance of first grade our spots 27-30 mustn't be the most appealing option for depth players.
Moceidreke wasn't one of our players, though, as I understand it. He was train and trial but didn't get contracted last year... at least he's never been announced as one of our players.
Yeah I understand that, but given we had lost Ravalawa who would likely have been 3rd drop in back depth behind oldfield and Abbey, we haven’t recruited anyone who can fill that spot. Now we are in a position that Rapana is out for a huge chunk of the season, and we only have Abbey as depth. Surely someone of the style of Mociedrece would have been FAR more useful in the top 30 squad, and on low wage than a Roache or Kris who are very short odds to play firsts this year.

Every Tuesday 21 players get named in a squad. That only leaves 9 unnamed players IF there are no injuries or suspensions at the time. I’m happy for others to disagree, but I don’t think we should be wasting any of those 9 spots on developing players in Mounties with no goal of having them play firsts in the year there contact covers. That’s what development contracts are for. Those last few spots I believe are EXACTLY what journeyman are for - low cost options with a few years experience of NSW cup, that if we have a dearth of injuries or suspensions they can fill in.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The journeymen in spots 27 -30 play maybe 1 or 2 games between them. Seems to me it's much better to use those spots for juniors and give yourself effectively 10 development players instead of 6. You'll find this is what the more successful clubs do as well.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Talk of dragons ramping up negotiations with Hayne and possibly releasing dufty. I wonder if we will be the beneficiaries with dufty to FB, Jack to 5/8 as has been suggested...

https://www-sportingnews-com.cdn.amppro ... yve6gpd0at
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

The more the think about it the more I think dufty should probably be our number one target. Blistering pace, great foot work, always in the right place at the right time and running in support lurking for tries and looking to get involved, a beautiful show and go and he certainly can make try saving tackles.

He is almost the complete fullback, and he can blow a game apart with sheer brilliance. He is a match winner and at just 22 years old he is only going to get much, much, better.

The problem with signing Dufty instead of a proven elite half like Johnson is that it will signal Dufty to fullback and jack into the halves. I am definitely not totally against this but it does put a few question marks over how we will go. I would actually be confident in jack to get the job done and potentially excel in the halves, he has improved massively lately and has huge potential to get even better.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Sign em both, move jack to lock and tapine back to front row.
Dont delete this GE
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Let's just sack Jack and all bask in the glow of happiness. To hell with new signings. We have Sam Williams!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Captain Punish wrote: November 14, 2018, 10:20 am Let's just sack Jack and all bask in the glow of happiness. To hell with new signings. We have Sam Williams!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I'm still living in a world where we end up with Dufty and Johnson, and Jack is lining up in Rd. 1 for the Silverwater Slashers vs. The Bathurst Batterers.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

anyone catch Cameron king's tweeted resume'?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Sid wrote: November 14, 2018, 10:58 am anyone catch Cameron king's tweeted resume'?
We've only got two hookers on the books, and he's a genuine third stringer.

But we have more pressing issues.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Dufty a complete fullback? Lol
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raiders666 wrote:Dufty a complete fullback? Lol
Yep. Up there with Richard Wilkins, a complete investigative journalist.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Sid wrote: November 14, 2018, 10:58 am Anyone catch Cameron king's tweeted resume'?
Be hard to find a more reliable min wage backup. I'd have him straight in to play 9 for Mounties.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Hard pass on Dufty for mine.

He just doesn’t have the size required. We need a bigger fullback to make 1 on 1 tackles regularly because our defence is woeful
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Id be happy with King as our 2nd/ 3rd hooker, assuming he is on min wage.

Im not a fan of Dufty. He is a 1 trick pony in my eyes. Its a damn good trick, but he is Austin is faster shoes.