Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Ruben Daley »

Matt wrote: October 29, 2018, 5:53 pm I think if we were being honest we would take:
1. Norman - off field issues and all, he is too talented not to at least try.
2. Moses - again, the talent is there, and he came a long way this past yr. He still cant tackle, and TBH, game management isnt strong. But he is still better than we have, and a 3rd goal kicker to boot.
3. SJ... u would be nutz to say no.

If TPJ was to sign, we would do backflips. Same with Kapow and Klemmer too.
Yeah, you’re right, Matt. I don’t rate Norman much and have spent Moses’ entire career criticising him but you’d have to take them at the right price. Johnson is a no-brainer.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ruben Daley wrote:
Matt wrote: October 29, 2018, 5:53 pm I think if we were being honest we would take:
1. Norman - off field issues and all, he is too talented not to at least try.
2. Moses - again, the talent is there, and he came a long way this past yr. He still cant tackle, and TBH, game management isnt strong. But he is still better than we have, and a 3rd goal kicker to boot.
3. SJ... u would be nutz to say no.

If TPJ was to sign, we would do backflips. Same with Kapow and Klemmer too.
Yeah, you’re right, Matt. I don’t rate Norman much and have spent Moses’ entire career criticising him but you’d have to take them at the right price. Johnson is a no-brainer.
I wouldn't take Moses if he cost $1 a season. He shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Norman and Johnson.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What's the point of signing Norman or Moses? Their team is trying to offload them. Norman has persistent behavioural issues and is a bad influence. He is highly inconsistent on field, but mostly bad. Moses has massive problems on field.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

SJ yes. The other two would be another step backwards. We aren't going to become a successful club by picking up others dregs.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I guess because most sane fans aren’t expecting Hingano to return from shoulder surgery in Rd8 and set the competition alight guiding us to the finals.
We know what we get with Sam Williams, and we just can’t cover him in defence and his strengths don’t make up for it.

As it stands right now we have poor halves and zero depth. Always a good combination
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I would take Moses, and I think anyone who wouldn’t is blinkered to the reality that we have three halves on contract, two of whom are out and out reserve graders and Sezer who is just serviceable.

If you think Moses is an inferior player to Williams or Hingano, then I have a bridge to sell you.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

We are almost at the point of Hodgson to 7 and Havali at 9

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

There is only really one viable option left and frankly I don’t care about his past, he would be cheap, he is best mates with our captain so you think he wouldn’t muck up.
Desperate times.

In Ricky We Trust
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Brew wrote:There is only really one viable option left and frankly I don’t care about his past, he would be cheap, he is best mates with our captain so you think he wouldn’t muck up.
Desperate times.

He'd be lucky to start for Mounties at this stage

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Manbush wrote: October 27, 2018, 4:36 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 27, 2018, 11:45 am

We need a Gareth Widdop style half. Someone who can stick to a gameplan, has a consistent kicking game, can tackle and doesn't lose their **** when the game is on the line. Good luck with that 'eh.

TPJ on the other hand...
Then we’d need to sign a coach who can come up with a game plan ;)
:lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Timbo wrote:I would take Moses, and I think anyone who wouldn’t is blinkered to the reality that we have three halves on contract, two of whom are out and out reserve graders and Sezer who is just serviceable.

If you think Moses is an inferior player to Williams or Hingano, then I have a bridge to sell you.
Moses is toxic. There is talent there no doubt but not worth it.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

gergreg wrote: October 30, 2018, 7:13 am
Timbo wrote:I would take Moses, and I think anyone who wouldn’t is blinkered to the reality that we have three halves on contract, two of whom are out and out reserve graders and Sezer who is just serviceable.

Moses is toxic. There is talent there no doubt but not worth it.

X2 big no to Moses
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Dufty is being shopped around... He played a lot in the halves throughout the junior rep programs

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Dusty wrote: October 30, 2018, 8:35 am Dufty is being shopped around... He played a lot in the halves throughout the junior rep programs

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
He did, but thats because he was so fast people couldnt tackle him, thus they put him in a place where he got lots of ball. He is a fullback with limited ball playing ability, as displayed this yr, and why he is being shopped. Teams want a ball playing fullback.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: October 29, 2018, 9:58 pm I would take Moses, and I think anyone who wouldn’t is blinkered to the reality that we have three halves on contract, two of whom are out and out reserve graders and Sezer who is just serviceable.

It's not that he's not a better player. It's that he doesnt solve the problems. He cant tackle, he's no better than Austin in this regard.
If you're a **** stud like Maloney, you can wear that, but he's not. Being a rich man's Sam Williams is a strong selling point for me to pay you what Moses would want to be the face of this team.

He's not remotely good enough to fix this team, so he'd be an overpaid locker room cancer... yeah, that's a VERY hard no from me.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: October 30, 2018, 8:53 am
Timbo wrote: October 29, 2018, 9:58 pm I would take Moses, and I think anyone who wouldn’t is blinkered to the reality that we have three halves on contract, two of whom are out and out reserve graders and Sezer who is just serviceable.

It's not that he's not a better player. It's that he doesnt solve the problems. He cant tackle, he's no better than Austin in this regard.
If you're a **** stud like Maloney, you can wear that, but he's not. Being a rich man's Sam Williams is a strong selling point for me to pay you what Moses would want to be the face of this team.

He's not remotely good enough to fix this team, so he'd be an overpaid locker room cancer... yeah, that's a VERY hard no from me.
It becomes a discussion of $$$ in that case. At $1 mill, CYA! Theres the door.
<$750 then you have my attention (this seem to be the Min. going rate for halves these days unfortunately)
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

There is a reason why every Raiders team has flogged a team containing Moses. Absolute turnstile.

In Ricky We Trust
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with stop gap player like Joel Moon.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

julian87 wrote: October 30, 2018, 9:26 am I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with stop gap player like Joel Moon.
I would be, he is retired.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Looking quite likely Raiders will be starting 2019 with the worst halves pairing and depth in the competition, even if there is another signing.

That'd kind of be like going into the NFL season with the worst quarterback I guess?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

edwahu wrote: October 30, 2018, 9:35 am
julian87 wrote: October 30, 2018, 9:26 am I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with stop gap player like Joel Moon.
There you go. I hadn’t followed much the last month and pre that he was looking to return to play over here.

Someone of his ilk anyway, similar to Jacks I guess.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

edwahu wrote:
It still wouldn’t surprise me
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Joel Moon?
Christ, i hadnt thought about him in years

He would be a disaster, terrible player
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

We aren't signing anyone of quality let's be real.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Sid wrote: October 30, 2018, 9:36 am Looking quite likely Raiders will be starting 2019 with the worst halves pairing and depth in the competition, even if there is another signing.

That'd kind of be like going into the NFL season with the worst quarterback I guess?
Id say we finished the year with the weakest halves combo as well.

good to see we have been proactive in the market though.....
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

1- Jack
6- Whitehead
7- Seizer
9- Hodgo
11- Bateman
12- Tapine
13- Havali
14- Williams

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Coastalraider wrote: October 30, 2018, 11:25 am
Sid wrote: October 30, 2018, 9:36 am Looking quite likely Raiders will be starting 2019 with the worst halves pairing and depth in the competition, even if there is another signing.

Id say we finished the year with the weakest halves combo as well.

good to see we have been proactive in the market though.....
Yet still managed to win 2 of our last 3. The 2 wins being over the eventual premiers and Souths who lost in the prelim. Not all doom and gloom kiddies.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Blues87 wrote: October 27, 2018, 2:49 pm
chris83 wrote: October 26, 2018, 11:24 pm He aont comin guys, no quality player is, we got lucky with rapa tapine and our poms, no big name player is coming to canberra, we get the dregs, the ones who arent wanted by any other club, we are used to it, hell we were looking forward to signing ryley jacks, hes a plodder who cant make first grade yet we were all pretty keen for him to come. We are a sad bunch really.
Haha hit the nail on the head. I remember when we signed Sezer, I thought Canberra are finally attracting some stars. But now when I think back, he felt like a great signing because he was playing first grade footy at the time and not some plodder playing reggies that the Raiders love to sign.
I wasn't. I was filthy when we signed Sezer. Was bemused by the excitement. People laughed at me. He's only playing with us as he has his whole career.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Klemmer has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs, so going to the Knights looks like a done deal. Good to see those anti tampering rules are working.

Fair to say they have a stronger squad than us next year.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: October 30, 2018, 2:00 pm Klemmer has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs, so going to the Knights looks like a done deal. Good to see those anti tampering rules are working.

Knights have signed every man and his dog. :woot: :lol:

If they gel, they could we be a powerhouse next yr.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

julian87 wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with stop gap player like Joel Moon.
I’d take one small step for Kurt Mann, but it would be a giant leap to bring Joel Moon back.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: October 30, 2018, 2:09 pm
edwahu wrote: October 30, 2018, 2:00 pm Klemmer has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs, so going to the Knights looks like a done deal. Good to see those anti tampering rules are working.

Knights have signed every man and his dog. :woot: :lol:

If they gel, they could we be a powerhouse next yr.
Wash yr mouth out....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Rick wrote: October 30, 2018, 11:39 am 1- Jack
6- Whitehead
7- Seizer
9- Hodgo
11- Bateman
12- Tapine
13- Havali
14- Williams

1- Jack
6- Sezer
7- Hodgo
9- Havili
11- Bateman
12- Tapine
13- Whitehead
14- Garvey (swallow some pride you arrogant pig and get him back)
WorkChoice
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I don't think people rating our halves as the worst in the comp is such a problem if we remain as a Top 2 try scoring side.

The grass ain't always greener.

I would love us to be a Top 2 defensive side. Then we will be semi finals bound with a genuine shot at the Premiership.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Hazza wrote: October 30, 2018, 11:46 am
Blues87 wrote: October 27, 2018, 2:49 pm
chris83 wrote: October 26, 2018, 11:24 pm He aont comin guys, no quality player is, we got lucky with rapa tapine and our poms, no big name player is coming to canberra, we get the dregs, the ones who arent wanted by any other club, we are used to it, hell we were looking forward to signing ryley jacks, hes a plodder who cant make first grade yet we were all pretty keen for him to come. We are a sad bunch really.
Haha hit the nail on the head. I remember when we signed Sezer, I thought Canberra are finally attracting some stars. But now when I think back, he felt like a great signing because he was playing first grade footy at the time and not some plodder playing reggies that the Raiders love to sign.
I wasn't. I was filthy when we signed Sezer. Was bemused by the excitement. People laughed at me. He's only playing with us as he has his whole career.
While I agree that at the time the love for sezer was over the top, to suggest that he is delivering what he always did is completely off the mark. For eg, In the year prior to joining the raiders, he led the comp for forced drop outs... I'd be surprised if he'd be in the double digits for forced drop outs collectively over the 3 seasons he has been with us. Sure he wasn't a stud before, but he has definitely declined since joining the club. He showed glimpses of his potential earlier this year (when he was partnered with Williams). Williams then got injured and he went back in his shell again