Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by chris83 »

He aont comin guys, no quality player is, we got lucky with rapa tapine and our poms, no big name player is coming to canberra, we get the dregs, the ones who arent wanted by any other club, we are used to it, hell we were looking forward to signing ryley jacks, hes a plodder who cant make first grade yet we were all pretty keen for him to come. We are a sad bunch really.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

dubby wrote: October 26, 2018, 7:55 pm The question is, what is Johnson's rating on the gangers system?Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
His ego is too big, his work ethic and footy brain far too small.

If you are going to pay close to $1million for a half you need to get a lot more than what Johnson brings to the table.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
dubby wrote: October 26, 2018, 7:55 pm The question is, what is Johnson's rating on the gangers system?Image

You talkin’ about me or Johnson
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: October 27, 2018, 11:25 am
Green eyed Mick wrote:

You talkin’ about me or Johnson
Intentionally ambiguous I'd suggest. ;)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

As far as signing Shaun Johnson goes...my god the internet has a lot to answer for. :lol:

Firstly - he's not coming to Canberra. Ever.

Secondly - he's being offloaded for very good reason. As is Mitch Moses (please let there be no truth to that ridiculous rumour).

He's not what this team needs to be successful. Not even close.

We need a Gareth Widdop style half. Someone who can stick to a gameplan, has a consistent kicking game, can tackle and doesn't lose their **** when the game is on the line. Good luck with that 'eh.

TPJ on the other hand...
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

SJ single handedly beat us in round 3 this year kicking field goals in consecutive sets. He is a remarkable ball runner and a solid ball player. He is a top echelon half, no 2 ways about it. My only concern is his health.. Spent a bit of time on the sideline this year and you can't afford to have 1 mill players out for more than a couple of weeks if you are to have any chance to win the premiership.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Look.

Even though SJ is as far away as Haleys Comet, he's a massive upgrade on what we have.

Don't be fooled, he'd be fantastic for us.

That's what I reckon anyways...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

chris83 wrote: October 26, 2018, 11:24 pm He aont comin guys, no quality player is, we got lucky with rapa tapine and our poms, no big name player is coming to canberra, we get the dregs, the ones who arent wanted by any other club, we are used to it, hell we were looking forward to signing ryley jacks, hes a plodder who cant make first grade yet we were all pretty keen for him to come. We are a sad bunch really.
as anyone ever told you that you dribble ****?

you make out it's the end of the world, you must be a blast to hang with :lol:
raider 4 life
Blues87
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by Blues87 »

chris83 wrote: October 26, 2018, 11:24 pm He aont comin guys, no quality player is, we got lucky with rapa tapine and our poms, no big name player is coming to canberra, we get the dregs, the ones who arent wanted by any other club, we are used to it, hell we were looking forward to signing ryley jacks, hes a plodder who cant make first grade yet we were all pretty keen for him to come. We are a sad bunch really.
Haha hit the nail on the head. I remember when we signed Sezer, I thought Canberra are finally attracting some stars. But now when I think back, he felt like a great signing because he was playing first grade footy at the time and not some plodder playing reggies that the Raiders love to sign.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

FROG wrote: October 27, 2018, 12:25 pm SJ single handedly beat us in round 3 this year kicking field goals in consecutive sets. He is a remarkable ball runner and a solid ball player. He is a top echelon half, no 2 ways about it. My only concern is his health.. Spent a bit of time on the sideline this year and you can't afford to have 1 mill players out for more than a couple of weeks if you are to have any chance to win the premiership.
Yet the most inconsistent team in the comp for years are looking to ditch him as their marquee player.

Go figure.

Every man and his dog had a turn at beating us in ridiculous circumstances last season and the one before.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 27, 2018, 11:45 am

We need a Gareth Widdop style half. Someone who can stick to a gameplan, has a consistent kicking game, can tackle and doesn't lose their **** when the game is on the line. Good luck with that 'eh.

TPJ on the other hand...
Then we’d need to sign a coach who can come up with a game plan ;)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 27, 2018, 4:30 pm
FROG wrote: October 27, 2018, 12:25 pm SJ single handedly beat us in round 3 this year kicking field goals in consecutive sets. He is a remarkable ball runner and a solid ball player. He is a top echelon half, no 2 ways about it. My only concern is his health.. Spent a bit of time on the sideline this year and you can't afford to have 1 mill players out for more than a couple of weeks if you are to have any chance to win the premiership.
Yet the most inconsistent team in the comp for years are looking to ditch him as their marquee player.

Go figure.

Every man and his dog had a turn at beating us in ridiculous circumstances last season and the one before.
FTR this whole Johnson is being offloaded is apparently being blown way out of proportion, those who actually listened to the interview with the warriors ceo where all this came from didn’t get that impression at all.
Imo he’s quality , whenever he plays behind a pack that isn’t getting bent over he performs.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

So if SJ is now staying with the Warriors who 'were' they looking to use as a replacement?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Imagine the Canberra Raiders saying no to a halfback the quality of SJ, get off your high horse.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'd take Johnson in a heartbeat. Despite his flaws he's a massive upgrade on our current halves.

It won't happen of course. we don't have the cap space for the amount of coin he would demand. Roosters and Broncos would be the only clubs with enough room under sombrero at this late stage.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

nemesis wrote: October 27, 2018, 1:55 pm

Dribble ****? I'd say that's a pretty accurate statement TBH...
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Finchy wrote: October 28, 2018, 2:48 pm

Accurate statement? how so?? we got lucky with all 5 who all happen to play rep? turn it up and we have a heap of other rep players. BJ, sia, paulo are all descent players and came here also.

Players want to stay and are committing to long term contracts, no one is flocking out the door.

The club is in good stead when it comes to finance, members and roster yet some fans try and make out we get the spoon every year.

yeah we are underachieving but we have the squad if we can pick up a good half.

the club is also not treated that good when it comes to scheduling, free to air games and refereeing etc so it makes it harder to achieve what fans expect.

I used to love this site but now it's just mostly sooking no matter what the club does and it's very punishing these days
raider 4 life
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

All makes sense now.

We didn't sign Kurt Baptiste because we are using that coin to sign Shaun Johnson.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Knights supposed to be offering Klemmer 4.6m over 4 years. Might be time for the NRL to look at max contracts, that sort of inflation doesn't help the players or clubs.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

That figure has to be a joke!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Rick wrote: October 28, 2018, 10:10 pm That figure has to be a joke!

Double his Dogs money. He wants out and so does his missus so I reckon he’ll be released. Shame he’s not coming here....
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I know they need to burn cash but that's just moronic

if he accepts it he better be banking most of it cause noone will be paying remotely close to that next time tound
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Ridiculous money for a prop. But he is under contract how are the Knights allowed to make an offer before a November?

I see Cronk might have one more season after 2019, I would throw ridiculous money to have him here for a season.

In Ricky We Trust
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Brew wrote: October 29, 2018, 5:16 am Ridiculous money for a prop. But he is under contract how are the Knights allowed to make an offer before a November?

I see Cronk might have one more season after 2019, I would throw ridiculous money to have him here for a season.

His manager has got a third party to arrange it all. The manager spins it as personal issues so that they can pretend it was initiated by the player.

They should at least block it but wont.
Last edited by edwahu on October 29, 2018, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Tara won't allow it..
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

-PJ- wrote:Tara won't allow it..
He doesn’t have to live in Canberra...

In Ricky We Trust
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Hayne?
If he were in the squad I'd have him starting 5/8...
He did fail to nail down a spot in the spine in a wooden spoon side though,
amongst his piss poor pre-season.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Brew wrote: October 29, 2018, 6:45 am
-PJ- wrote:Tara won't allow it..
He doesn’t have to live in Canberra...

No..he doesn't.

He could have stayed with the Storm and lived in Sydney as well....
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Sid wrote: October 29, 2018, 9:57 am Hayne?
No thanks. He only performed at the end of the season because he wanted a contract.

The Eels will sign him anyway. I suspect the delaying is as much about keeping Hayne fit and motivated during the off season as as it is about money.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Sid wrote: October 29, 2018, 9:57 am Hayne?
No thanks. He only performed at the end of the season because he wanted a contract.

The Eels will sign him anyway. I suspect the delaying is as much about keeping Hayne fit and motivated during the off season as as it is about money.
He was absolutely crap last year. Turned up for 2 or 3 games when the season was over and sent commentators into a spin. Then clocked off again.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

nemesis wrote: October 28, 2018, 7:56 pm

Accurate statement? how so?? we got lucky with all 5 who all happen to play rep? turn it up and we have a heap of other rep players. BJ, sia, paulo are all descent players and came here also.

Players want to stay and are committing to long term contracts, no one is flocking out the door.

The club is in good stead when it comes to finance, members and roster yet some fans try and make out we get the spoon every year.

the club is also not treated that good when it comes to scheduling, free to air games and refereeing etc so it makes it harder to achieve what fans expect.

I used to love this site but now it's just mostly sooking no matter what the club does and it's very punishing these days
Wasn't Rapa playing reserve grade rugby? Tapine a rookie? BJ unwanted due to poor fitness and attitude? Sia playing English Superleague? Paulo only squeezed out of Parra due to salary cap (and now returned)?

Just because some of them ended up turning into rep players doesn't mean we "signed big names". The statement was "we got lucky with rapa tapine and our poms, no big name player is coming to canberra, we get the dregs, the ones who aren't wanted by any other club". I'd still say that's pretty accurate.

Even Hodgson was an unknown, Austin had only played his first full year of first grade, mostly due to the Tigers starting five eighth Anasta being injured.

We haven't poached any Cooper Cronks or Shaun Johnsons, and never will.

Not being a nego, just realistic. We can't cut it against the likes of the Roosters, Broncos, etc who have a salary sombrero, and we pay overs to get anyone to come here.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Finchy wrote: October 29, 2018, 4:33 pm

Wasn't Rapa playing reserve grade rugby? Tapine a rookie? BJ unwanted due to poor fitness and attitude? Sia playing English Superleague? Paulo only squeezed out of Parra due to salary cap (and now returned)?

Just because some of them ended up turning into rep players doesn't mean we "signed big names". The statement was "we got lucky with rapa tapine and our poms, no big name player is coming to canberra, we get the dregs, the ones who aren't wanted by any other club". I'd still say that's pretty accurate.

Even Hodgson was an unknown, Austin had only played his first full year of first grade, mostly due to the Tigers starting five eighth Anasta being injured.

Not being a nego, just realistic. We can't cut it against the likes of the Roosters, Broncos, etc who have a salary sombrero, and we pay overs to get anyone to come here.
That’s true but we’ve read and we’ll read again about how this club can’t develop/use/extract the potential of talented players and/or that everyone gets better when they leave, though your list proves otherwise. I think ol’ Nemsis is just a bit over battling both arguments.

For what it’s worth, I don’t know how we can compete with the big clubs to sign established players either.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I think if we were being honest we would take:
1. Norman - off field issues and all, he is too talented not to at least try.
2. Moses - again, the talent is there, and he came a long way this past yr. He still cant tackle, and TBH, game management isnt strong. But he is still better than we have, and a 3rd goal kicker to boot.
3. SJ... u would be nutz to say no.

If TPJ was to sign, we would do backflips. Same with Kapow and Klemmer too.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Finchy wrote: October 29, 2018, 4:33 pm

yeah rapa was but he came here and developed into one of the best wingers in the world, which is another thing people try and say doesn't happen at the club ( players improving), Tapine was rated by newcastle and they tried to keep him after we offered him that big contract, newy also still wanted BJ, newcastle also wanted sia to go there but re-signed with us, and no parra loved junior and he actually got a release from his contract, had nothing to do with salary cap.

my thing is it is harder to recognise a players ability before they become a star like we did with, tapine, cotric, whitehead, hodgson and now bateman. it's super easy to be like the roosters and sign them after they are one yet not many fans give the club any credit for that.

Totally agree with us not being able to cut it with the likes of the roosters and broncos which is why i think the club has done a great job putting this team together, man if we can snag a good half ( not that there are actually many out there) this is the best team since the days of stuart and co back when we last won a comp surely yet fans make out it's rubbish. we saw in 2016 and the back end of last year what this team can do, we don't need to change much, just a half that can control the game with his organising and kicking but like i said, there aren't many around unfortunately
raider 4 life
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

nemesis wrote: October 29, 2018, 6:37 pm yeah rapa was but he came here and developed into one of the best wingers in the world, which is another thing people try and say doesn't happen at the club ( players improving), Tapine was rated by newcastle and they tried to keep him after we offered him that big contract, newy also still wanted BJ, newcastle also wanted sia to go there but re-signed with us, and no parra loved junior and he actually got a release from his contract, had nothing to do with salary cap.

my thing is it is harder to recognise a players ability before they become a star like we did with, tapine, cotric, whitehead, hodgson and now bateman. it's super easy to be like the roosters and sign them after they are one yet not many fans give the club any credit for that.

Totally agree with us not being able to cut it with the likes of the roosters and broncos which is why i think the club has done a great job putting this team together, man if we can snag a good half ( not that there are actually many out there) this is the best team since the days of stuart and co back when we last won a comp surely yet fans make out it's rubbish. we saw in 2016 and the back end of last year what this team can do, we don't need to change much, just a half that can control the game with his organising and kicking but like i said, there aren't many around unfortunately
While I do agree with everything else you've said, I don't think the bit in bold is right.

First I can't believe anyone who has seen all our teams since 1995 would think this squad is anything but close to if not the best since then. Second, we don't need a controlling half - though it would be nice - we need a team that can actually defend. Some of those previous teams, like 2003, could do that. For some reason this mob couldn't last year. I'm hopeful that the addition by subtraction of inadequate defenders will give the current halves enough cash in hand to manage the game enough for us to win - we certainly score enough points to.