Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders666 wrote: October 11, 2018, 11:40 am Ken Sio for depth?
No thanks. They only reason he's playing NRL is because the Knights lacked quality outside backs. Happy to stick with Oldfield as our no3 winger.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

There is some interesting speculation on the FB page about DCE. Apparently, if Neil Henry signs as Manly coach, DCE wants out. Q is, who on here thinks we chase DCE?

My 2 cents:
Raiders fans need to wake up and smell the reality. Our team hasn't won a comp is 25 yrs, and hasn't played finals in 3 yrs.

Our halves are probably the worst in the comp. So, if a top 2 or 3 guy is available, you inquire.... VERY seriously.

Even if he does appear to be unliked by players, Esp those who wanted more money at Manly to end their careers. However, I've met him, for 5 secs, and he was happy to stop and say hi.

DCE is the type of player that can win u a premiership. Esp with the right weapons around him. Something we have in spades.

The "D head policy" goes out the window for these kind of players. You'd sell your soul for 1, coz that's how the business works.

The bottom line is....

How much to get him here? My guess is 1 mill a yr, MINIMUM.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Sezer and cherry evans in the halves with hodgson fit and firing would be a dream

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I'm guessing broncos will offload bird for DCE

DCE allegedly signed a deal of $10M over 8 years ($1.25 million per season)

so more than that.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I’d take him at $1,000,000 per year

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Dusty wrote:I’d take him at $1,000,000 per year

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Yeah especially if manly are pay 80% of that

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I can't see us getting DCE but you'd have a crack if he came onto the market. I think Maloney is a more realistic option if there is movement at the Panthers.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Maloney has had it. DCE... we're not even allowed in that playground.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Nonsense. He is nearly 3 years younger than Smith, Slater and Cronk.

He had a rough post-origin but he is still a class player.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by gangrenous »

DCE sunk Manly by demanding overs at the expense of being able to surround him with a solid team.

You’d have to sell him on taking a pay cut to try and go out with another ring. Doesn’t strike me as a guy who would buy it.

I’d prefer Maloney.

Edit - signing thread post #4000
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: October 12, 2018, 11:29 am
Raiders666 wrote: October 11, 2018, 11:40 am Ken Sio for depth?
No thanks. They only reason he's playing NRL is because the Knights lacked quality outside backs. Happy to stick with Oldfield as our no3 winger.
Yeah, last position I'd be chasing. Especially anyone above minimum. Oldfield was pretty good last year. One absolute blinding game, one or two solid games, one poor one at centre from memory but then also a solid one at centre against a decent opponent. Haven't double checked but that's about my read on him.

I have confidence that Oldy will do a job when I see him on the sheet. Good size for ricking out our end. Can tackle ok. Great speed and can finish. The odd error but that's why he's not a mid tier NRL winger.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Green eyed Mick wrote: October 12, 2018, 3:59 pm Nonsense. He is nearly 3 years younger than Smith, Slater and Cronk.

And like Cronk and Smith, it's not like he relies on pure physicality either. He's a pretty complete half in all key departments with a winning mentality. Ok, his tackling isn't crash hot but he's not worse than Williams or Austin and his upside is daylight ahead of theirs.

Don't think he's even leaving/we'll get him, just conjecturing on his status as a player.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: October 12, 2018, 6:40 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote: October 12, 2018, 3:59 pm Nonsense. He is nearly 3 years younger than Smith, Slater and Cronk.

And like Cronk and Smith, it's not like he relies on pure physicality either. He's a pretty complete half in all key departments with a winning mentality. Ok, his tackling isn't crash hot but he's not worse than Williams or Austin and his upside is daylight ahead of theirs.

Don't think he's even leaving/we'll get him, just conjecturing on his status as a player.
Maloney has been the worst defender in the league for yrs. Regularly posts 100+++ missed tackles. Not sure where you are getting that comparion from
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I never liked DCE but I have always liked his style as a player. As a bloke, I had no idea, except that once a few years ago I was pushing a wheelchair along the boardwalk type area at Manly and got into a bit of difficulty and nobody gave me any help except out of nowhere came DCE to sort out the problem. He stayed with us for a few minutes to ensure we were OK and then went on his way. He seemed a real nice bloke and so I changed my mind about him. As a player he seems very intense which may cause some friction but as a signing at $1M or there abouts I think he is real value.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

I would offload BJ and Wighton for DCE. Oldfield to fill one spot. Cotric to FB and sign Milne to a minimal deal
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manchild wrote:I would offload BJ and Wighton for DCE. Oldfield to fill one spot. Cotric to FB and sign Milne to a minimal deal
You wouldn't even hesitate

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Anyone who wouldn't want DCE is just insane. I wanted him when he was in the 20s.

I can't really see it happening though. However he'd make up for a lot of deficiencies.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If it was 1987 and the GH existed there would've been at least one person saying No to signing Mal.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Lol at taking Maloney over DCE.

That is all time.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

julian87 wrote:Lol at taking Maloney over DCE.

That is all time.
Matt's Matchups
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Manchild wrote: October 12, 2018, 8:35 pm

That is all time.
Matt's Matchups
Come'on Man
child!
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

edwahu wrote:If it was 1987 and the GH existed there would've been at least one person saying No to signing Mal.
Can you imagine The GH in the 80s and 90s!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

People aren't saying they don't want players like DCE. It is just that it is never going to happen. Never, ever.

The Roosters have the gall and clout to shift on Mitchell Pearce to sign Cooper Cronk.

The Raiders would NEVER do that. Our club doesn't have that gall or clout to do it. And we've mismanaged the salary cap so badly we can't do it. The cap is apparently so full we release Junior Paulo, Blake Austin, and Shannon Boyd and can't sign a a half. Just one top second rower and a fringe benchie forward.

That is where we are as a club. It's distressing. It's depressing. But that's where we are.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That is all time.
Matt's Matchups
Manchild... not directed at you specifically, but there seem to be a lot of people these days wanting to criticise... but not a lot of people wanting to step up and do any work for the site. Would be nice if more people jumped in and put their own opinions on the line. Or maybe posted stories and links?
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

T_R wrote:
Manchild wrote:I would offload BJ and Wighton for DCE. Oldfield to fill one spot. Cotric to FB and sign Milne to a minimal deal
You wouldn't even hesitate
I think David Milne retired unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: October 12, 2018, 6:55 pm
BadnMean wrote: October 12, 2018, 6:40 pm

Maloney has been the worst defender in the league for yrs. Regularly posts 100+++ missed tackles. Not sure where you are getting that comparion from
I was just guessing
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Let's face it, DCE either goes to Brisbane with Bird booted, or the Roosters as Cronks replacement.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:Let's face it, DCE either goes to Brisbane with Bird booted, or the Roosters as Cronks replacement.
Well that's how the salary cap works.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Attack is not our biggest issue. Defence is. Of the two people Matt initially mentioned I'd take Maguire as a new coach to fix our biggest problem. We've all seen the impact Sticky has on halves. I'm sure players have as well.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Knights apparently have 2.2m to spend on 6 spots next year, yet couldn't sign TPJ.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Are we really going to do this to ourselves the whole off season.

Early on in the week it was SJ, now DCE.

This rain is doing funny things to peoples minds.
WorkChoice
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

greeneyed wrote:

That is all time.
Matt's Matchups
Manchild... not directed at you specifically, but there seem to be a lot of people these days wanting to criticise... but not a lot of people wanting to step up and do any work for the site. Would be nice if more people jumped in and put their own opinions on the line. Or maybe posted stories and links?
I think that was directed at me just quitely. No wonder I dont post here much anymore. Have a bit of a joke/banter and get jumped on.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Manchild wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

That is all time.
Matt's Matchups
I think that was directed at me just quitely. No wonder I dont post here much anymore. Have a bit of a joke/banter and get jumped on.
If you want to take it that way... your call. Seems pretty clear you were just the unfortunate straw that broke GE’s back.

It’s a pretty common problem with society these days. Lots of critics and not many people putting out their idea/solution.

The irony of my post is not lost on me Image
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Of course I would take DCE but there is absolutely no way we could afford him.

I think what’d be more likely would be we could afford Bird if the Broncos agreed to keep a fair bit of his cap on their cooked books. But he’d likely just go back to Sydney.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:
edwahu wrote:Let's face it, DCE either goes to Brisbane with Bird booted, or the Roosters as Cronks replacement.
Well that's how the salary cap works.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
It's funny cause its true.