Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by FROG »

I agree with your observation of sj but would argue that his strengths could in fact be precisely what we need given that hodgo is our chief playmaker. Plus he can kick a field goal!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Not that he would Be a realistic signing But are people really saying no to Shaun Johnson while we Have Williams and Sezer in the halves?
He was very good this year because he was finnaly behind a pack that held its own for the first time in years, i’d Love to see him behind a dominant pack,
I’d suggest he’d be close to the best half in the comp.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I’d definitely like to see Shaun Johnson in Lime Green. However, I don’t think he’d leave NZ

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: October 4, 2018, 8:01 am Not that he would Be a realistic signing But are people really saying no to Shaun Johnson while we Have Williams and Sezer in the halves?
He was very good this year because he was finnaly behind a pack that held its own for the first time in years, i’d Love to see him behind a dominant pack,

Anyone saying no to Shaun Johnson should be banned from the internet. Legitimately.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Pigman wrote: October 4, 2018, 9:30 am
kiwi raider wrote: October 4, 2018, 8:01 am Not that he would Be a realistic signing But are people really saying no to Shaun Johnson while we Have Williams and Sezer in the halves?

Anyone saying no to Shaun Johnson should be banned from the internet. Legitimately.
a life ban, too
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Shaun Johnson in green is a yes for me.
Probably my favourite player to watch
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

1. Wighton
6. Sezer
7. Johnson
9. Hodgson

14. Havili

Nice spine

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Picturing a quick play the ball from a barnstorming Papalii run with Hodgson at dummy half looking to his right and seeing his options of distributing the ball out to Johnson, Whitehead, Leilua and Rapana

BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Shaun Johnson won't be coming no need to waste your time on this one. Also didn't he say something negative about Canberra a few years back?
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I've spoken to PJ.. He also says Shaun Johnson isn't signing with the Canberra Raiders.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BigPapa wrote: October 4, 2018, 11:21 am Shaun Johnson won't be coming no need to waste your time on this one. Also didn't he say something negative about Canberra a few years back?
Yes. He said he hates Canberra, the city.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Lol, imagine SJ ever coming here.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: October 4, 2018, 11:26 am
BigPapa wrote: October 4, 2018, 11:21 am Shaun Johnson won't be coming no need to waste your time on this one. Also didn't he say something negative about Canberra a few years back?
Pretty sure he just said it was boring, if I Remember correctly he posted a piss take of the airport with virtually no one in sight
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kiwi raider wrote: October 4, 2018, 2:27 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 4, 2018, 11:26 am
Pretty sure he just said it was boring, if I Remember correctly he posted a piss take of the airport with virtually no one in sight
This has it: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/stop-sinki ... 2ikbi.html
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I can confirm Sid and PJ had words....

#shaunaintcoming
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Just so I don't get summarily expelled from the internet letme say I really rate Johnson, and he is one of my favourite players to watch. My evaluation of his worth was really a cost / benefit analysis and assuming there would be no change from $1M per season.
I think he would absolutely run amok behind our forwards with our backs to take a lot of heat off him defensively. But how many more tries do we need that we need to pay someone over $1M for them. We need to improve our defence, and part of that improvement needs to be in increasing our repeat sets.
I'm not sure that throwing our coins at Johnson is our best bet.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m afraid that we need an Alan Tounge who can tackle in the halves more than an Ewan Mcgrady who can attack.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

BJ wrote: October 4, 2018, 8:43 pm I’m afraid that we need an Alan Tounge who can tackle in the halves more than an Ewan Mcgrady who can attack.
Who's that Alan again?

Agree with the sentiment, just don't think we need some interloper!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Let's face it- the only half worth signing at the Raiders is a world class, dual international who has a short, medium and long kicking game better than anyone has ever seen, a pass like Joey, deception like Hodgo, tackles like a backrower and reads the game like Deep Blue.

We've all just fallen for Ricky Stuart's 20 year plan to get his REAL gig back. It's just running a few years behind schedule.

If Shaun Johnson isn't good enough then that's about the only half worth signing.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

With the squad we have I'd take TPJ over Johnson. We have no trouble scoring points and Johnson is erratic. It's also by far the most realistic option.

We are desperately short of another quality front rower.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Just massively cheat the cap and sign both for 5 years. What's the worst that could happen.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: October 5, 2018, 9:21 am Just massively cheat the cap and sign both for 5 years. What's the worst that could happen.
:roflmao
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

edwahu wrote: October 5, 2018, 9:21 am Just massively cheat the cap and sign both for 5 years. What's the worst that could happen.
Just use the Sharks precedent:

"Yes, there may have been cap breaches, but only for the 4 years either side if when we won the premiership".
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: October 5, 2018, 10:50 am

"Yes, there may have been cap breaches, but only for the 4 years either side if when we won the premiership".
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by gangrenous »

After Cooper Cronk showed all you need is 12 men and an on field coach I don’t think it’s too long before we see Ricky back in the halves.

Do captain coaches count under the salary cap?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I’m on board for this, plenty of other clubs do it, some get caught others are a bit smarter, even the ones that get caught generally get off pretty easy and hold on to a superior squad than what they would have been able to build without rorting the cap. it’s worth the risk as it’s probably our only chance to win a premiership,
even if we signed TPJ and Johnson and we were 2 million over the cap, there would still be a couple of better squads apparently cap compliant in the comp
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Coastalraider wrote:

Then tie it up with the Broncos defence. If they ask about the year we won the premiership, pack up and do a runner
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Nick Cummins? He’s proven recently his ability to score with ease, and can pull off a mean sidestep and dummy.

Just don’t know about his desire to commit in defence though

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

gangrenous wrote: October 5, 2018, 12:00 pm After Cooper Cronk showed all you need is 12 men and an on field coach I don’t think it’s too long before we see Ricky back in the halves.

Do captain coaches count under the salary cap?
broncos have been doing it for years but with 13 men, just send Ricky out as a waterboy.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If Alfie gets away with it next year after the grand final it will be another joke.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 5, 2018, 6:58 am With the squad we have I'd take TPJ over Johnson. We have no trouble scoring points and Johnson is erratic. It's also by far the most realistic option.

Imagine having a half that can kick field goals!? With that difference we comfortably make the 8 this year. Tpj doesn't make us a premiership contender. We've had good forwards before and have nothing to show for it. We've never had an elite half.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

FROG wrote: October 5, 2018, 6:37 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 5, 2018, 6:58 am With the squad we have I'd take TPJ over Johnson. We have no trouble scoring points and Johnson is erratic. It's also by far the most realistic option.

Imagine having a half that can kick field goals!? With that difference we comfortably make the 8 this year. Tpj doesn't make us a premiership contender. We've had good forwards before and have nothing to show for it. We've never had an elite half.
Imagine having a forward pack who could get our halves good field position to actually attempt field goals. We lost a lot of tight games this year, it’s not as though we sent a lot of field goals wide of the posts. We rarely put ourselves in a position to even try.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

FROG wrote:

Yep because that extra point would have made all the difference in the dozen or so games where we were in the lead late in the second half.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Imagine having a forward pack who could kick field goals. Then we’d be onto something.

Nickman's love of NSW
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 5, 2018, 12:34 pm Nick Cummins? He’s proven recently his ability to score with ease, and can pull off a mean sidestep and dummy.

Just don’t know about his desire to commit in defence though