Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu »

It didn't look like a complete tear, I would be surprised if it impacts his off season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well I saw the Sharks risking a whole pile of top prospects for the Jets as well today. Did you see it?

You remember when Blake Austin broke his hand in training in 2016? I guess the Raiders should have excused him from that training session.

It’s ridiculous to suggest players shouldn’t play in a finals game.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It’s not a finals game
It’s a reserve grade, i.e literally does not mean a thing.

The sharks are playing as we speak, anyone in that game is clearly not in their best 17.
If the raiders were playing today, and Emre was not in our 17, then by all means play him. We’re not. Because we’re not good enough to be in that position. The sole focus needs to be on rectifying that and Guler is looming a significant part of that plan

We should not be risking any top 17 player. I don’t care how eligible they are. Guler is no longer a reserve grade player, he has no business playing that grade
It’s just not worth the risk

Particularly at a position we are so thin and unproven at.

If he was eligible would you play Josh Hodgson in this game? Josh Papalii? Jarrod Croker? Jordan Rapana?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You’re wrong yet again Pigman. As you so often are. Players cannot be kept in cotton wool and injuries can happen at any time. Players are paid to play and playing a finals game in reserves would have been good experience for Guler. We will wait and see what the result is, no one wants to see the young bloke suffer an injury, possibly a serious one. But there is no more or less risk playing Guler in a dead rubber in firsts in Auckland than a finals game in NSW premiership.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I’m with GE on this one?

How did Knight go?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Dusty wrote: September 8, 2018, 9:54 pm I’m with GE on this one?

How did Knight go?

Like the whole team he was awol for 60 minutes. Then had a few good moments in the last 20.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It probably rates as a meaningless game but I'm sure Guler himself would have insisted on playing an important game with the mates he has played with most of the year.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

GE is right pigman wrong. Again
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

gergreg wrote: September 8, 2018, 10:08 pm It probably rates as a meaningless game but I'm sure Guler himself would have insisted on playing an important game with the mates he has played with most of the year.
Exactly. And the benefit of this for Guler as an individual and for the club culture makes it worth it.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

NSWRL Cup isnt meaningless. If your player is eligible he plays goddamit. You have lost it mate
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I just looked up DR Google. Three gradings to a pec injury. Grade 1 is considered minor strain. Grade 2 is more severe and involves a partial tearing which is a 3 to 6 week recovery. Grade 3 is a complete tearing and is a 3 to 6 month recovery period. I guess we will know for sure when pre-season training begins in November. If he is available for that then the injury is likely a Grade 1 or 2. If he cannot train then, it is a Grade 3 and we hopefully have him back to start season 2019.

There is a different kind of pressure in playing finals footy no matter what the grade. Some will thrive and others will be Abbey-smal. It is best to find out in lower grades if possible. Injury is an unfortunate part of our game. But players accept the risk every time they go out to play. Young blokes generally want to play as much footy as they can, particularly with those they have played most of the season with. Guler was eligible so he got picked and played. Unfortunate to be injured but that's footy. I have much more faith in the Clubs rehab abilities in 2018 than was the case in the TLL days.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Haha **** have i just read...Pigman has been hacked surely
creevy
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: chris osullivan

Post by creevy »

Saw an article that Luke Gale an English international halfback from Castleford wants to play NRL. Anyone know anything about him?. 30 years old but might be worth a punt for 2 seasons if he is prepared to come cheaply.
Gerry De La Cruz
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: September 8, 2018, 10:08 pm It probably rates as a meaningless game but I'm sure Guler himself would have insisted on playing an important game with the mates he has played with most of the year.
I'm very sure that's is the case.
Players want to play. But he's not a RG player anymore and the risk was not worth the reward.

"Appreciate your passion Emre, and we'll make it clear to the coaching staff and player group that you are desperate to play and this is a club decision, not yours. We understand the disappointment, but you're a player we are building around for 2019 and beyond. Enjoy your off season, 2019 is going to be a really significant year for you and your career."
Greeneyed wrote: But there is no more or less risk playing Guler in a dead rubber in firsts in Auckland than a finals game in NSW premiership.
Dead rubber against NZ is a FG game, he needs FG experience. He needs to be playing football against grown men who are of a certain quality. That helps his development. The risk to injury is no different, but the rewards are considerable. I dont think running him up against part time tradies, and a bunch of guys who clearly arent in his level is helpful enough for his development to risk a player that, frankly, we're really going to need in 2019.

Let's not forget, the Mounties had themselves a pretty damn good win IN THE FINALS the week before without these guys. Why should any of those dudes lose their spot? They earned that win, they earned the chance to go and do it again the following week.

But clearly im on my own here, which is fine, apparently everyone else thinks Reserve grade premierships are worth it. So let's see. Hopefully the injury isnt serious. But if Guler is out for the first half of 2019, we'll see how that pans out for the club and player.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

‘Reports’ / rumours that a young raiders forward was spotted in talks with Brad Arthur and the mail is that it’s for 2019.

Buzz in the Sunday Telegraph

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Probably Royce Hunt, he's fallen off the radar
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Or Liam Knight or perhaps even Murchie with the probability he's now behind the pecking order even more with J.Bateman.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

In my opinion we have a couple of young guys that we must keep... Cotric and Horsburgh are at the top of that list, Murchie is probably next. Knight too because he’d come relatively cheap

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Guler is a 3 game bench rookie, who I really rate but playing in a semi against men is no issue to me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Dusty wrote:‘Reports’ / rumours that a young raiders forward was spotted in talks with Brad Arthur and the mail is that it’s for 2019.

Buzz in the Sunday Telegraph

Knight was reportedly talking with them earlier in the season. He has another year to run on his contract and considering Guler may very well have suffered a long term injury we would be crazy to let him go early.

Having said that we really should be making a call on him in the off season. If we see him as a first grader we need to extend his contract now before he earns himself an upgrade by playing 20 odd games in 2019.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote: September 9, 2018, 8:33 am
Players want to play. But he's not a RG player anymore and the risk was not worth the reward.

"Appreciate your passion Emre, and we'll make it clear to the coaching staff and player group that you are desperate to play and this is a club decision, not yours. We understand the disappointment, but you're a player we are building around for 2019 and beyond. Enjoy your off season, 2019 is going to be a really significant year for you and your career."
I understand where you're coming from and kind of agree with you, but we all know how sensitive some of these young guys are and it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. You start preventing these guys playing when they want to play, they could potentially walk out on the club.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Pigman. I get why you're disappointed. We all are, but to suggest that this somehow the raiders fault is highly off the mark. There is plenty the raiders do get wrong, but on this occasion it genuinely was just bad luck. Hopefully it doesn't disrupt his off season, cause if we are to play any September football next year, this guy is going to have to play most if not all first grade games next year
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:Probably Royce Hunt, he's fallen off the radar
I think you're right.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Pigman wrote:

Greeneyed wrote: But there is no more or less risk playing Guler in a dead rubber in firsts in Auckland than a finals game in NSW premiership.
Dead rubber against NZ is a FG game, he needs FG experience. He needs to be playing football against grown men who are of a certain quality. That helps his development. The risk to injury is no different, but the rewards are considerable. I dont think running him up against part time tradies, and a bunch of guys who clearly arent in his level is helpful enough for his development to risk a player that, frankly, we're really going to need in 2019.

Let's not forget, the Mounties had themselves a pretty damn good win IN THE FINALS the week before without these guys. Why should any of those dudes lose their spot? They earned that win, they earned the chance to go and do it again the following week.

But clearly im on my own here, which is fine, apparently everyone else thinks Reserve grade premierships are worth it. So let's see. Hopefully the injury isnt serious. But if Guler is out for the first half of 2019, we'll see how that pans out for the club and player.
So a young kid plays 3 games of first grade and that’s it he is not a reserve grader anymore? Is that the same for Abbey?
Have a lie down mate.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

C'mon that's just silly. There's no comparison between Guler and Abbey.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If Knight goes to Parra that leaves us on 22 definites in the squad. So even if they upgrade Horsburgh, Kris, O'Hagan and maybe Hala there must be a few signings and upgrades to come.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: September 9, 2018, 2:30 pm C'mon that's just silly. There's no comparison between Guler and Abbey.
Haha, talk about needing a lie down
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Or its junior paulo, and buzz is saying this to make us all speculate lol

I bet he puts these little rumours out there and trolls all the forums laughing his head off

Vaccinated
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Dusty wrote: September 9, 2018, 9:32 am In my opinion we have a couple of young guys that we must keep... Cotric and Horsburgh are at the top of that list, Murchie is probably next. Knight too because he’d come relatively cheap

Cotric I can agree on but if Guler is not next priority then I'll be dammed.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gergreg wrote: September 9, 2018, 2:30 pm C'mon that's just silly. There's no comparison between Guler and Abbey.
I’m not sure what to make of this.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

dubby wrote: September 9, 2018, 1:19 pm
I think you're right.

I’m not sure any coach is signing a squad filler 12 months out from there contract being up, more likely it’s the eels having a crack Tapine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Eels forum says Knight and it seems more likely.

Tapine can't talk to anyone publically and zero chance of an early release, plus career wise it would be crazy.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

julian87 wrote: September 9, 2018, 7:09 pm
I’m not sure what to make of this.
That Guler is a way better prospect than Abbey?
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

The next re-signing has to be Tapine, he’s off contract at the end of this season. There were some whispers we were interested in Gale at the same time the Bateman stuff started but went quiet pretty quick :(
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Velda wrote: September 9, 2018, 8:16 pm The next re-signing has to be Tapine, he’s off contract at the end of this season. There were some whispers we were interested in Gale at the same time the Bateman stuff started but went quiet pretty quick :(
He is off contract end of 2020, so I wouldn't think they would extend him until late in the year.

Rapana would be the next I think, he can get approached from November.