Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21183
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Seiffert82 » September 7, 2018, 7:40 am

First time I've ever heard of the Broncos paying overs for a player.

Losing their mojo perhaps.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20070
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Northern Raider » September 7, 2018, 8:10 am

$1m for Angus Crichton? Sury that's not accurate.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16973
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu » September 7, 2018, 8:19 am

It's really not overs. If we don't pay that sort of money we get a squad without elite talent and elite talent is what win you comps. You should be able to afford a couple of million dollar players under a well managed cap.

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22488
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Pigman » September 7, 2018, 8:48 am

edwahu wrote:
September 6, 2018, 10:21 pm
I'd have him 3rd or 4th on that list, so 800k sounds right. He is already about 6th in ability but you pay for the upside.I wouldn't be upset if we dropped a million on him.

That's also what those players are on, not what we could sign them for. Add 30% for the younger players.
Yeah agreed.
If that list is accurate, and tbh it probably isnt, but if it is, 800k is about right

Tapine and Jakey T criminally underpaid imo (admittedly they both signed deals quite a few years ago now)
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
Junior
David Grant
Posts: 756
Joined: August 16, 2012, 1:50 pm
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Junior » September 7, 2018, 9:07 am

Surely Martin Taupau would be high on that list

User avatar
Beejay
John Ferguson
Posts: 2041
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Beejay » September 7, 2018, 9:58 am

Seiffert82 wrote:
September 7, 2018, 7:40 am
First time I've ever heard of the Broncos paying overs for a player.

Losing their mojo perhaps.
It's been publicly stated that Bennett no longer has control of signings, lost it over 12 months ago. He is adviser to the group, but it's not all up to him, which is was in the past.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16973
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu » September 7, 2018, 10:22 am

It's probably 600k with 200k TPA.

Kermit
John Ferguson
Posts: 2379
Joined: April 9, 2006, 8:42 pm
Location: Convict Central

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Kermit » September 7, 2018, 10:37 am

edwahu wrote:
September 7, 2018, 8:19 am
It's really not overs. If we don't pay that sort of money we get a squad without elite talent and elite talent is what win you comps. You should be able to afford a couple of million dollar players under a well managed cap.
Totally agree with this. When will we learn.

When was the last time we signed an Australian rep player? Even a SOO player? Jason Smith? Shaun Berrigan?
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)

User avatar
Sid
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5804
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Sid » September 7, 2018, 10:41 am

Shillington?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

User avatar
Rick
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5874
Joined: August 11, 2008, 3:56 pm
Favourite Player: Daley
Location: Darwin

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Rick » September 7, 2018, 10:49 am

Orford


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16973
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu » September 7, 2018, 10:53 am

Shillo hadn't played Origin yet and Orford never played Origin or Test footy. Smith & Berrigan were a long time out of rep footy. The closest to signing a current Origin player since Big Mal is Brett White, who was dropped for game 3 in 2010 and we signed him soon after. He was forced out by the Storm cap cheating.

By my reckoning the Roosters have signed 10 active Origin players since the NRL started, plus your SBWs and Creightons.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30665
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Matt » September 7, 2018, 2:06 pm

Ruben Daley wrote:
September 6, 2018, 10:10 pm
greeneyed wrote:
September 6, 2018, 8:38 pm
NRL 360 saying that TPJ has now been offered $800,000 by the Broncos... and my mail is that's $200,000 more than they were offering before. Plus he's only going to commit for only one year, while Bennett is at the club.
That’s a fair bit for a guy with his experience.

Let’s imagine the club had money to spend on a forward (that we didn’t need for a half). How’s TPJ’s $800K compare to these options (using Zero Tackle’s figures):

Crichton - $1M
Taumalolo- $1M
Sam Burgess - $1M
Gillet - $750K
Merrin - $750K
Tamou - $750
James - $700K
Napa - $700K
Paulo - $700K
J. Trbojevic - $700K
Boyd - $600K
Tariq Sims - $500K
Tapine - $500K
Haas - $500K
Crichtons price was inflated by last years phenomenal yr. Id say he is an 800K players ATM, not a mill. He is better than Gillet, Sims, James.
Lolo is the best middle in the game, and worth every penny.
Burgess WAS the best middle in the game, so not sure a mill is still worth it.
Gillet has a busted back/ neck, so it will be interesting to see how he copes next yr.
Merrin has been overrated for years, and 750K is a laugh.
Tamou has been better than Merrin, so maybe worth it, but only just.
James at 700 is probably a steal. Plays 80mins at prop.
Napa is robbing Chooks if that's what he is worth.
Paulo...hahahahahahahaha… not worth it.
Jurbo, that's a steal for Manly. He will push the mill mark next contract.
Boyd... yeah nah.
Sims is a steal at 500K
Tapine is a steal too. We will have to pay next time.
Haas... HAHAHAHAHAHAH..... Mwahahahahahahahaha… he is 18? 19? Laughable!

User avatar
Dusty
Jason Croker
Posts: 4304
Joined: December 21, 2009, 12:25 pm
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Dusty » September 7, 2018, 4:59 pm

I didn't see the game but I note that Ryan Sutton played for Wigan this morning. 18 runs for 126 metres and 35 tackles (1 missed).
John Bateman 16 runs for 113 metres and 27 tackle (4 missed) 3 tackle busts, 1 offload.
2019: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker 4 Leilua 5. Rapana 6. Williams 7. Sezer 8. Sutton 9. Hodgson 10. Papalii 11. Tapine 12. Whitehead 13. J.Bateman ----
14. Havili 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Knight/Lui

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...

User avatar
RTW
David Furner
Posts: 3298
Joined: July 29, 2008, 7:05 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley
Location: Brisbane

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by RTW » September 7, 2018, 5:01 pm

500k for Haas is obviously overs at the moment but wasn’t it a 4 year deal?
The only thing stopping Haas is injury. He has the body shape, work ethic and skill level to play Origin and I would be willing to put money on him doing that.

As a prop by the time this contract is up he will still be young in terms of his position but by then the Broncos will have their claws into him and will be able to convince him to stay at the club for unders/paper bags.

FROG
David Grant
Posts: 722
Joined: April 7, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by FROG » September 7, 2018, 5:31 pm

Remember when we were laughed at for signing tapine for 450k per annum. They are the kind of calls you need to make to be successful. The catch is you need to move them on fast if they don't kick on as you'd hope. I thought stick did this well with fpn. Hasn't done it since though

User avatar
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13107
Joined: February 26, 2010, 6:01 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Canberra :(

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Green eyed Mick » September 7, 2018, 7:06 pm

edwahu wrote:
September 7, 2018, 10:53 am
Shillo hadn't played Origin yet and Orford never played Origin or Test footy. Smith & Berrigan were a long time out of rep footy. The closest to signing a current Origin player since Big Mal is Brett White, who was dropped for game 3 in 2010 and we signed him soon after. He was forced out by the Storm cap cheating.

By my reckoning the Roosters have signed 10 active Origin players since the NRL started, plus your SBWs and Creightons.
We should exclusively target players from the country and the Super League.

I'd love to see us put resources into securing the best rookie talent out of the North of England.

dribble73
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Posts: 67
Joined: September 12, 2016, 12:29 pm
Favourite Player: Austin

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by dribble73 » September 7, 2018, 9:11 pm

InFernos_Raiders wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
September 6, 2018, 4:16 am
InFernos_Raiders wrote:
September 6, 2018, 1:23 am
We apparently lost our two young halves from Mounties to other NRL Clubs already. Another great example for Club and team management.
First I’ve heard of it. Who?
Brambling is one and now if you are a Raiders fan you should already know this now go do the research and see who the other player is.
Brambling? You mean Bambling? Who went back to Q Cup, not an NRL club. Research?


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

User avatar
Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5178
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » September 7, 2018, 11:01 pm

I saw someone post a Raiders lineup of players Ricky let go.

01. Milford
02. E. Lee
03. Austin
04. Hawkins
05. B. Lee
06. Lewis
07. Cornish
08. Vaughan
09. Baptiste
10. Boyd
11. TPJ
12. Barnett
13. Fensom

14. L. Croker
15. Taylor
16. Nicholls
17. Paulo


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

RedRaider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6779
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by RedRaider » September 8, 2018, 6:53 am

edwahu wrote:
September 7, 2018, 8:19 am
It's really not overs. If we don't pay that sort of money we get a squad without elite talent and elite talent is what win you comps. You should be able to afford a couple of million dollar players under a well managed cap.
I don't think we lack elite players. Hodgo and EW are English Internationals and imo easily in the Top 5 in their positions in the World. John Bateman, also a current English International joins them here next year. We have developed Tapine and Rapa into International elite players. Papa has his mojo back is a current SOO Rep player. It is only a matter of time before Cotric joins the list of Rep players imo. Tongan International Havili has been a fine addition to our squad with great 'role up the sleeves' utility value.

The cap for 2018 is $9.3m which is $9.1m base cap and $200K for long serving players. Players 1-26 have a minimum payment of $100k and players 27-30 a minimum of $70k. If one player is taking $1m then the remaining 25 players average $312,800 ($8,100,000 - 280k = $7,820,000 /25 = $312,800). But it has been 'reported' that 6 are on $500K - Papa, EW, Tapine, Jack, Sezer, JC. Meaning there is $4,820,000 spread around 19 players or an average of $253,684/player. Would we be able to buy a John Bateman for that? Keep a Nic Cotric, Rapa, BJ, Sam Williams or Sia?

I just think paying $1m takes too much out of the cap for a single player, particularly if that player is not a spine player.

User avatar
julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10822
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by julian87 » September 8, 2018, 8:46 am

edwahu wrote:
September 7, 2018, 10:53 am
Shillo hadn't played Origin yet and Orford never played Origin or Test footy. Smith & Berrigan were a long time out of rep footy. The closest to signing a current Origin player since Big Mal is Brett White, who was dropped for game 3 in 2010 and we signed him soon after. He was forced out by the Storm cap cheating.

By my reckoning the Roosters have signed 10 active Origin players since the NRL started, plus your SBWs and Creightons.
Also probably the worst signing this club has made in terms of value imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16973
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu » September 8, 2018, 8:47 am

It's 9.5 next year. Spend 7.5 million on 15 players, 2m on 15 players. So 1 million on 1 player still leaves plenty to distribute to the players that matter.

That's how the better squads are structured.

User avatar
julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10822
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by julian87 » September 8, 2018, 8:48 am

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
September 7, 2018, 11:01 pm
I saw someone post a Raiders lineup of players Ricky let go.

01. Milford
02. E. Lee
03. Austin
04. Hawkins
05. B. Lee
06. Lewis
07. Cornish
08. Vaughan
09. Baptiste
10. Boyd
11. TPJ
12. Barnett
13. Fensom

14. L. Croker
15. Taylor
16. Nicholls
17. Paulo


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Everything but the running forwards and Milford is absolutely trash there.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10822
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by julian87 » September 8, 2018, 8:50 am

edwahu wrote:
September 8, 2018, 8:47 am
It's 9.5 next year. Spend 7.5 million on 15 players, 2m on 15 players. So 1 million on 1 player still leaves plenty to distribute to the players that matter.

That's how the better squads are structured.
I agree.

If you try and spread the wealth (something Neil Henry became renowned for) you’re long odds to ever win a comp
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3142
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by BJ » September 8, 2018, 9:57 am

edwahu wrote:It's 9.5 next year. Spend 7.5 million on 15 players, 2m on 15 players. So 1 million on 1 player still leaves plenty to distribute to the players that matter.

That's how the better squads are structured.
You have it so wrong!!! Spend $750 on the players and the rest of the millions on brown paper bags and EDIT.

User avatar
Ruben Daley
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1380
Joined: June 13, 2007, 4:52 pm
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Ruben Daley » September 8, 2018, 10:28 am

Matt wrote:
September 7, 2018, 2:06 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:
September 6, 2018, 10:10 pm
greeneyed wrote:
September 6, 2018, 8:38 pm
NRL 360 saying that TPJ has now been offered $800,000 by the Broncos... and my mail is that's $200,000 more than they were offering before. Plus he's only going to commit for only one year, while Bennett is at the club.
That’s a fair bit for a guy with his experience.

Let’s imagine the club had money to spend on a forward (that we didn’t need for a half). How’s TPJ’s $800K compare to these options (using Zero Tackle’s figures):

Crichton - $1M
Taumalolo- $1M
Sam Burgess - $1M
Gillet - $750K
Merrin - $750K
Tamou - $750
James - $700K
Napa - $700K
Paulo - $700K
J. Trbojevic - $700K
Boyd - $600K
Tariq Sims - $500K
Tapine - $500K
Haas - $500K
Crichtons price was inflated by last years phenomenal yr. Id say he is an 800K players ATM, not a mill. He is better than Gillet, Sims, James.
Lolo is the best middle in the game, and worth every penny.
Burgess WAS the best middle in the game, so not sure a mill is still worth it.
Gillet has a busted back/ neck, so it will be interesting to see how he copes next yr.
Merrin has been overrated for years, and 750K is a laugh.
Tamou has been better than Merrin, so maybe worth it, but only just.
James at 700 is probably a steal. Plays 80mins at prop.
Napa is robbing Chooks if that's what he is worth.
Paulo...hahahahahahahaha… not worth it.
Jurbo, that's a steal for Manly. He will push the mill mark next contract.
Boyd... yeah nah.
Sims is a steal at 500K
Tapine is a steal too. We will have to pay next time.
Haas... HAHAHAHAHAHAH..... Mwahahahahahahahaha… he is 18? 19? Laughable!
Agree with all that, Matt. Amazing to think Napa, James, Jake T and Paulo are all on the same coin.

As someone else pointed out, salaries always seem high initially but start look good by the end. Taumalolo's $1M will be a middle-level salary in three years and nothing by the end of his contract. Cows will be laughing if he can maintain his form.

It'd be interesting to see how Woods, Fifita, Graham, Vaughan, Bromwich, Klemmer and a few others' salaries would compare.

Hazza
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 595
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Hazza » September 8, 2018, 10:30 am

Pigman wrote:
September 6, 2018, 1:07 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote:
September 6, 2018, 12:36 pm
I didn't think TPJ would make it in the NRL. I had seen hundreds of players like him before, absolute whizkids at levels where natural talents were all that was required but without the drive and absolutely insane level of self centered dedication to fitness and health including but not limited to diet and rehabilitation.
Stuart was always aware of his level of talent. He had spoken about it to me and others on occasions. But he was aware of and frustrated about the lack of effort that TPJ continued to display. Stuart was of the opinion that unless TPJ pulled up his socks soon, the opportunities open to him would soon dissipate and he would be lost to the game. Stuart was strongly of the opinion that the loss of TPJ would be a loss to the NRL as well as to the Raiders.
TPJ was given a chance to turn his life around at Brisbane by Bennett, and has done so. Well done him. But to imply that he was not given the chance at the Raiders, nor given the specialist help and encouragement of the entire organisation is dishonest and reflects poorly on him.
That makes two!

Personally i never saw one second of football from TPJ that gave me the impression he wouldnt make it.
He looked like a guy who's floor was going to be a 10 year NRL player every second i watched him play.

And there is no implication that he was not given a fair chance at this club, it's fact as far as im concerned. That's not hindsight, i was saying it in the moment. And i was far from the only one. A lot of us were saying it
TPJ was ridiculous in the 20's it was like watching under 8's, we had 1 play, get the ball to him and he'd create something every time. Was obvious to anyone with half a brain he was gonna be an absolute superstar. Should've been kept at all costs. I was filthy when we let him go. Was a massive mistake and anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding.

Hazza
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 595
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Hazza » September 8, 2018, 10:34 am

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
September 7, 2018, 11:01 pm
I saw someone post a Raiders lineup of players Ricky let go.

01. Milford
02. E. Lee
03. Austin
04. Hawkins
05. B. Lee
06. Lewis
07. Cornish
08. Vaughan
09. Baptiste
10. Boyd
11. TPJ
12. Barnett
13. Fensom

14. L. Croker
15. Taylor
16. Nicholls
17. Paulo


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Out of that list the only 3 I was genuinely disappointed about losing were Milford, TPJ and Vaughan. Lewis showed nothing in the lower grades with us to suggest he'd be a competent 1st grader. Looks to have improved out of sight though, credit to him.
Last edited by Hazza on September 8, 2018, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazza
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 595
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Hazza » September 8, 2018, 10:37 am

RedRaider wrote:
September 8, 2018, 6:53 am
edwahu wrote:
September 7, 2018, 8:19 am
It's really not overs. If we don't pay that sort of money we get a squad without elite talent and elite talent is what win you comps. You should be able to afford a couple of million dollar players under a well managed cap.
I don't think we lack elite players. Hodgo and EW are English Internationals and imo easily in the Top 5 in their positions in the World. John Bateman, also a current English International joins them here next year. We have developed Tapine and Rapa into International elite players. Papa has his mojo back is a current SOO Rep player. It is only a matter of time before Cotric joins the list of Rep players imo. Tongan International Havili has been a fine addition to our squad with great 'role up the sleeves' utility value.

The cap for 2018 is $9.3m which is $9.1m base cap and $200K for long serving players. Players 1-26 have a minimum payment of $100k and players 27-30 a minimum of $70k. If one player is taking $1m then the remaining 25 players average $312,800 ($8,100,000 - 280k = $7,820,000 /25 = $312,800). But it has been 'reported' that 6 are on $500K - Papa, EW, Tapine, Jack, Sezer, JC. Meaning there is $4,820,000 spread around 19 players or an average of $253,684/player. Would we be able to buy a John Bateman for that? Keep a Nic Cotric, Rapa, BJ, Sam Williams or Sia?

I just think paying $1m takes too much out of the cap for a single player, particularly if that player is not a spine player.
I'd dispute Whitehead is easily in the top 5 back rowers in the world. I don't think he was great this year tbh. Was ok. That's it. His 1st 2 years with us were far better.

User avatar
RTW
David Furner
Posts: 3298
Joined: July 29, 2008, 7:05 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley
Location: Brisbane

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by RTW » September 8, 2018, 2:32 pm

Hazza wrote:
RedRaider wrote:
September 8, 2018, 6:53 am
edwahu wrote:
September 7, 2018, 8:19 am
It's really not overs. If we don't pay that sort of money we get a squad without elite talent and elite talent is what win you comps. You should be able to afford a couple of million dollar players under a well managed cap.
I don't think we lack elite players. Hodgo and EW are English Internationals and imo easily in the Top 5 in their positions in the World. John Bateman, also a current English International joins them here next year. We have developed Tapine and Rapa into International elite players. Papa has his mojo back is a current SOO Rep player. It is only a matter of time before Cotric joins the list of Rep players imo. Tongan International Havili has been a fine addition to our squad with great 'role up the sleeves' utility value.

The cap for 2018 is $9.3m which is $9.1m base cap and $200K for long serving players. Players 1-26 have a minimum payment of $100k and players 27-30 a minimum of $70k. If one player is taking $1m then the remaining 25 players average $312,800 ($8,100,000 - 280k = $7,820,000 /25 = $312,800). But it has been 'reported' that 6 are on $500K - Papa, EW, Tapine, Jack, Sezer, JC. Meaning there is $4,820,000 spread around 19 players or an average of $253,684/player. Would we be able to buy a John Bateman for that? Keep a Nic Cotric, Rapa, BJ, Sam Williams or Sia?

I just think paying $1m takes too much out of the cap for a single player, particularly if that player is not a spine player.
I'd dispute Whitehead is easily in the top 5 back rowers in the world. I don't think he was great this year tbh. Was ok. That's it. His 1st 2 years with us were far better.
Agreed, Whilst I am a big fan of Whitehead if he was Australian I don’t think he makes either Origin team and if he was a kiwi he doesn’t start (note: I am talking starting 13 you could certainly make an argument for him on the bench of any of those 3 teams).

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16973
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu » September 8, 2018, 3:54 pm

With a lot of second rowers spending a lot of time in the middle or injured it's a pretty weak position. He would be close to top 5.

I'd think it would be Cordner, Gillet, TPJ, Tapine, Kaufusi, Creighton, Frizell who are ahead of him, but TPJ & Frizell are just as much middles these days.

User avatar
RTW
David Furner
Posts: 3298
Joined: July 29, 2008, 7:05 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley
Location: Brisbane

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by RTW » September 8, 2018, 4:37 pm

I would add Graham and Harris to that list.

Kikau hasn’t been consistent enough but has the potential.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15876
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by -PJ- » September 8, 2018, 4:56 pm

You know..

We're all dreaming.

We ain't signing anybody, so there's no speculation.

Merry Christmas everyone, I love youse all...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

FROG
David Grant
Posts: 722
Joined: April 7, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by FROG » September 8, 2018, 8:00 pm

I just called Don. And he has emphatically confirmed that we won't be signing anyone of note before the new season. However, he did say they had learned heaps this year... Unlike previous years this will be the toughest preseason ever!

Neeeegz
Dean Lance
Posts: 866
Joined: July 5, 2008, 6:35 pm
Favourite Player: Cotric
Location: Western NSW

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Neeeegz » September 8, 2018, 8:03 pm

Just like to say I was wrong about Abbey, ill admit it. Hopefully doesn't have to play fg next year...

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 120940
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by greeneyed » September 8, 2018, 8:19 pm

Today was the absolute end for me. He should not be in the Raiders top 30. Happy for Mounties to take over his contract.
Image

Post Reply